Willoughby Lake Cottage with Private Sandy Beach, Spectacular Mountain Views
You sent a message to this manager.
Before making a payment, always call the manager at the number listed on our website to make sure your payment instructions are accurate.
Never use instant money transfer services such as Western Union and MoneyGram. Learn more
- Minimum stay:7 nights
- Pets considered:Ask Manager
- Wheel chair accessible:Yes
A 100-year-old restored Victorian cottage and beach. Canoe, Motor Boat, Phone with Unlimited LD, possible for 2 families-max 8. Lake Willoughby is Vermont's finest lake with pristine, crystal clear water. Our unique combination of a secluded cottage with the finest private beach in the State makes ours a rare rental with exceptional privacy. The white sandy beach is 800' long. Canoe silently across with spectacular mountain views (12 min around by car, private parking).The cottage faces the sunset; the beach greets the sunrise. After shadows fall across the beach, returning to the cottage is like getting a whole new day.Children love sunning, fishing or diving off the dock or underwater bolder. After a Bar-B-Q, breakfast trout are best caught during sunset.The cottage is completely outfitted: library, porch, picnic table, complete kitchen with fresh basics, stereo,fishing equipment, and a shore side sitting niche to enjoy crashing waves, nature's finest views and the call of the loons.
Peaceful and Natural : We are very particular about the presentation and cleanliness of our property. The cottage is private and secluded as is the private beach. Both command beautiful views, and we are the only family cottage with property on both sides of the lake with the beach directly across from the cottage 2/3's mile.
Additional Pictures Available: Additional pictures are available for those who are considering a specific week. These we will send by attached e-mail. Technology is Great! Also, we provide a 5-page cottage information document (by e-mail attachment) which describes details about the cottage, directions, and recreational resources in the area. We really enjoy compliments from previous visitors (who are available to you for their commentary). The pictures are as complete as possible. Rainy weather is not under our control, but the cottage is spacious, and we see spectacular views of rain storms coming down the lake, from a secure and warm interior, and those sights are quite an experience. A trip to the beach across the lake by canoe and around by car, both arrive about the same time, on a beautiful sunny day make all the hard work you do during the rest of the year well worth it! And you can take a tour around the lake in the motor boat...or fish from the dock. Life can be good and will be when we so choose!!!
Fishing: Willoughby has produced some lunker lake trout in the 20 to 40 lb range. They are there -- but rare. We do provide fine trolling equipment with lead core line and terminal tackle (which you must replace if lost) [with motor boat] and other fishing equipment (fly, casting, and spinning). Nice rainbows may be caught at sunset in front of the cottage with bobber and worm.
Tenting on the beach across the lake from the cottage. Also, a tent may be placed on the 10'x10' platform in front of the cottage by the shore. The 'parental' room looks down on the platform and all sounds may be noted...but it truly is a beautiful site which a child (or adult) will never forget.
Build your best vacation ever
From over 1 million rentals worldwide
Escape the confines of a hotel
Enjoy the freedom of a vacation rental
Book with confidence
Relax and enjoy your stay
From online to on vacation
- 1600 sq. ft.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Low Allergen Environment
- Children Welcome
- Non Smoking Only
- Wheelchair Accessible
Bedrooms: 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- 3 bedrooms are upstairs. One bedroom with 2 double beds looks out over the lake. Upon wakening, just open your eyes to view the lake scenery. The bedroom in the back of the cottage is open-screened with blinds and looks up into the woods (yes, total privacy, just nature). A third (middle) bedroom with single bed is between and all are accessed by stairs to the middle bedroom. A single bed is down stairs in the main room looking out over the lake (superb location by picture window for sunning and reading.) 4 new mattresses, one older but fine. Bring sheets and towels. Blankets and pillows provided. Every year we put a lot of effort into upgrading and painting and presenting the cottage immaculately clean with more amenities (fresh spices-not in the can), food larder backup, new, quality pots and pans). In 2009 a new roof and French screen doors. The greatest pleasure comes from sharing our family cottage with nice people and having them experience a pleasurable and relaxing vacation....moreless
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom
- H/C running water, an antique claw foot tub (in excellent condition) with antique style circular shower  , new toilet . The water is quality mountain spring water from a well-protected spring 100 years old. A separate, new septic for the toilet. The older septic is used for the tub and sinks. Medicine cabinet stocked. All accessories for kitchen and bathroom [soap, paper goods, dish towels] but please bring your personal towels. OTHER AMENITIES: There is a pantry with several open shelves for storing your food, board games for children and adults. There are locking French doors, although for 100 years were have never encountered problems with the privacy we enjoy. Some of the wavy German antique glass panes with cracks have been replaced, but not all as they lend a special charm to the views. The cottage is outfitted with many extras: library, tools, fishing equipment, 8 new Blue Willow place settings and silver in 2009. Also, paper plates and holders for youngsters ;-)...moreless
- Our family cottage is 106 years old (6 generations have seen it). With renovations since 1988 it is in peak order with the original furniture restored, much reconstruction, so capturing the original tradition and style of a 'Vermont Summer Camp' of the early 1900's, but with a few modern conveniences. 3 double beds and 2 twins, original, restored with new mattresses. Blankets, fresh mattress covers, and pillows are provided. Please bring your own sheets. A fully outfitted kitchen with basic larder and large variety of fresh spices, set of anodized cookware, blue willow dishes, fridge, stove, Bar-B-Q; upright Steinway piano; picnic tables (cottage and beach); an extensive library with excellent reading materials.The peace and privacy for watching the sunset after a Bar-B-Q or fishing off the dock in twilight evokes an unforgettable experience. Greeting the sunrise from a tent on the private beach with magnificent mountain views and fresh air is unparalleled. ...moreless
- Books For Kids
- Away From It All
- Autumn Foliage
- Coin Laundry
- Water Parks
Local Services & Businesses
- Bird Watching
- Horseback Riding
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
Spectacular view of Mt. Pisgah and Mt. Hor -- sheer on each side of the lake. Peaceful and quiet and often a family may have singular use of the beach, camping, picnic table, bon fire & Bar-B-Q. ...moreless
- Golf Course View:
- Lake View:
Mountain views everywhere. The Northeast Kingdom of Vermont is one of the most beautiful regions in the world according to one source, which I can't cite, but just exploring the dirt roads in fall......moreless
The lake is rural. Newport, 30 min, is a small city with beautiful waterfront on Lake Memphremegog with nice restaurant on water. 1.5 hr Luncheon, pizza, and cocktail cruises on Northern Star. ...moreless
Pristine water with beautiful early AM pictures of the lake with columns of fog, or reflections for the camera buff just raising your head from your pillow. Call of the loons and other wildlife. ...moreless
The cottage is 40' back from a granite boulder waterfront, superb for child swimming, boat dock and platform for reading/sunset and swimming platform with a small rock bass under last step. Best fun!...moreless
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Fly Fishing
- Freshwater Fishing
- Mountain Climbing
- Scuba Diving Or Snorkeling
- Water Skiing
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- Seating for 10 people
- Activities Guide
- Alarm System
- Basic Soaps
- Living Area
- Living Room:
- Local Maps
- Local Restaurant Guide
- Paper Towels
- Coffee Maker
- Cooking Utensils:
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Lobster Pot
- Beach Chairs
A boat with free motor. The motor is tuned up at the beginning of the season, but if anyone breaks it (like dropping it in the water as has happened) subsequent renters may be denied the use of it. ...moreless
- Boat Dock
- Boat With Paddles
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
My Standard Rate
7 night min stay
Changeover Day: Saturday
Additional information about rental rates
- Taxes Not included
WEEKENDS SPRING AND FALL ONLY: $1,600 per week summer, pre- and post-season: $200 extra/family/week. $100/extra couple/week. Refund in full upon re-rental which has been 3 for 3 over 10 years. Weekends: $680/3 nights; $490/2 nights. The cottage is presented in spotless order and we ask kindly reciprocation. We are primarily interested in folks having wonderful vacations, so questioned welcomed!
WEEKENDS F/S•$1,650/week Summer plus 9% Vermont Tax. June 28-Sept 6 for first family ($100/week for second family up to 4; Max 8.
•Canoe, LD telephone, and Wi-Fi. Boat and motor are free (just in case it fails; each season it is overhauled. No guarantees if prior renter disables motor). $200 refundable cleaning/breakage deposit (by check upon entry). Full payment minus deposit with contract.
Travel with Confidence
Before making a payment always call the owner at the number listed on our website, and never use instant money transfer services such as Western Union and MoneyGram.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Lake Willoughby is a rare and beautiful glacial lake, often called the Lucerne of the U.S. and rightfully so with with the rugged mountains carved out by ancient glaciers. The waters are clean and pristine. Our cottage and beach are a rare combination of privacy and generous views. When the sun begins to go down on the beach, we truly do get another half day upon returning to the cottage. The cottage is about 30 feet from a beautiful granite stone shore with a 24' dock and sitting platform with about 7 steps going down to the crystal clear water (pebble-sand). There is an underwater bolder for diving near the stairs, and a massive 100-ton-plus under water bolder where children can stand up to their waist 75 feet from the shore. Each year brings new aesthetic touches to both beach and cottage. A sandy path along a clear water brook leads to the beach. It is a Shangra La from which one wishes never to leave...and you know at the end that you truly have had a marvelous vacation.
Other Activities: Fishing equipment and motor boat for trolling (motor boat offered free, and only rarely has the previous renter dropped the motor in the lake, i.e. which occurence tends to complicate matters for subsequent renters but we hope for the best [the last time we had to look for rare spare parts]. In truth, a motor boat ride around the lake in the evening under the primitive and haunting aromas of of the shear, mossey, wooded slopes Mt. Hoare are an unforgettable experience -- unchanged for 1000's of years.
Or, you can climb Mt. Pisgah or Mt. Wheeler (superb for children) which have wonderful views of the Lake. And from Wheeler right to our beach for a refreshing swim.
Or, visiting Ben and Jerry's factory, the Maple Museum, or the Cabot Cheese Factory for tummy-filling samples of ice cream, all shades of maple syrup, and many varieties of cheese -- all at a time-distance of of perhaps 60-90 minutes through the beautiful Vermont countryside. I have 44 characters remaining and now there are
Golf: There are two golf courses in the area, one a club with fancy dining about 15 minutes away in Orleans, Vermont and another newly created from pasture, for practice with a view, in the hills close by Willoughby Lake.
Year Purchased: 1906
About: This cottage has been in the family since 1906 and shares many happy memories. I am told that I first walked on the porch there, and being in my 8th decade that was some time ago. I am a very happy father and grandfather, once a professor, but now free to go fishing and read all those good books. I shall be quite honest about that cottage: it is a special place to be in the early AM for a swim or in the evening to watch the sunset, and be sure to bring a camera. One of my greater satisfactions is seeing happy families, whether it be my own or others, have a wonderful vacation at the lake. The beach really is special for children and adults too! Truly spectacular mountain views. And if you want to see what the view looks like today, please go to http://220.127.116.11/.
Why Lake Willoughby:
I am overly biased about our cottage property, but I think the reviews are pretty accurate. The cottage has been restored to original days, including much original furniture. It is peaceful and relatively private with wonderful neighbors up and down the lake. We do have more privacy, lake and woods than most in our particular location. The ends of the lake are sort of cramped. If you like the out-of-doors environment with all the conveniences, then you will have a wonderful vacation. Ours is a rustic cottage, but with all the amenities, and the food even tastes better. The Wi-Fi has invaded, and we no longer have a crank telephone on a 4-party line. But, to return from the beach as the shadows approach the water at 4-5 pm and get another full day (seemingly) at the cottage with sunset at 9. It is a special treat.
The Unique Benefits at this Cottage:
Now, this is pretty biased, but there are many with a first time experience at Lake Willoughby who do agree: It is a certainty that Lake Willoughby is the finest lake in Vermont. Crescent beach, which is about 800' long, of which we own 100', is the finest on the lake and the beach with its mountain views is probably the finest in Vermont, maybe even on a more extensive scale. Folks say the cottage takes them back in time. I spent about 30 years restoring it with small and large projects, kind of tuckered now, but just in time. Much of the furniture is original, restored. And, it is peaceful and private. I really didn't bribe any reviewers, but their perspectives are probably pretty accurate. Every year for myself, it simply gets better. Now even the woods behind the beach are nicely trimmed. That was the last project. Most of all, it is gratifying to share the setting with others, so they too may be refreshed with perhaps the best of all possible vacations.
- Primary: +1 4352757349 Sam Kent call any time
- Secondary: +1 435-772-5351 Heather Dickson call any time
- Tertiary: +1 802-598-8700 Blythe Kent any time except 1 to 5 PM
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Our Private Beach 100' of 750' with 'Cooling' Brook at Border
New French Screen Doors at both Entries 
New sitting platform next to dock.
Early Morning Swim with View to Right---Excellent for Watching Children
Quality Culinary Ware and Pantry Stocked with Basics
Reflections -- View from Beds at Left at 4:30 AM in Mid June
Relaxing at Bar-B-Q with Glass of Wine -- with View at Right
Rocking Chairs and Picnic Table with View to Right...
Family and Friends Gathering on Beach
Quaint Kitchen Totally Outfitted
Sunset from Cottage
Cottage faces Sunset across from Beach-Motorboat & Canoe at Dock
Front Room with Dining Area Facing Lake Views
Front Room Reverse Photo --- Stereo, Extensive Library
Blue Willow and Silver or Paper Plates and Cottage Flatware
Early AM from Beds at Lower Left -- Look w/o Raising Head from Pillow
Trolling, Fly Fishing, or Hook and Bobber on Waterfront after Bar-B-Q
View from Bar-B-Q with Beautiful Ferns and Ground Cover Below
View from Rocking Chairs and ever 'Popular' Picnic Table
Sunrise Camping on the Beach -- After Raking up Fall Debris!
Back Bedroom looking up Hill into Woods
- Property typeCottage
Get an instant quote
- Response time Within a few days
- Response rate 70%
- Calendar last updated 11/25/2015
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.