Luxury Cruz Bay Condo Offers Awesome Views
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:Contact owner
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Cruz Bay condo description
Tropical Breeze Villa is the largest unit at Battery Hill--an elegantly cozy 9-unit condominium complex on the crest of a hill overlooking quaint Cruz Bay village. This luxurious unit boasts a spacious living area, a fully equipped kitchen, modern island decor, a queen sized master bedroom and a pair of twin beds in the large loft bedroom. Visually, the exposed beams and rustic cedar plank ceiling make the interior somewhat reminiscent of a Vermont barn. Five Hunter ceiling fans spaced throughout the unit supplement the nearly constant natural breezes. For added comfort, there are three air conditioners spaced throughout the unit.
With the completion of a second bathroom in early 2010, Tropical Breeze stands out as one of only two 2 bedroom/2 bath rental units at Battery Hill. The Tropical Breeze kitchen was extensively remodeled in 2010. Improvements include new mahogany cabinets, granite counters and stainless steel appliances. Even the toaster oven and coffee maker are brand new!
Tropical Breeze is on the top (3rd) floor of the outermost building; as a result, it offers incredible unobstructed views of the Caribbean, St. Thomas and inland St. John. On clear days, St. Croix--nearly 40 miles distant--may be seen on the southern horizon.
Battery Hill’s pool deck is a great spot to enjoy cocktails while grilling a burger or some fresh local fish on the nearby Weber grill. After a refreshing dip in the pool, you’ll find the Tropical Breeze balcony deck an irresistible spot for alfresco dining, capturing a sunset, watching the moon rise, or gazing at the stars. The views are magical.
As a guest at Battery Hill, you will enjoy luxurious 'home away from home' accommodations and conveniences such as cable TV and WiFi service. Our on-island manager will greet you at the ferry terminal and transport you to our unit, and is always available for your special needs.
Locating a parking spot in Cruz Bay town can present the ultimate challenge. Our near-town location means that when you feel it’s time to grab a beer or tropical drink at one of the popular pubs, or enjoy a sumptuous meal at one of Cruz Bay’s world-class restaurants, or, perhaps, just do a bit of shopping, it will all be within easy walking distance. At Battery Hill, renting a vehicle is an option, not a necessity. If you do choose to rent a vehicle, rest assured that Battery Hill, unlike some other properties, offers ample off-street parking.
The nearest beach, at Frank Bay, can be reached in five minutes by foot. Taxi service to the National Park’s spectacular north shore beaches is both readily available and inexpensive.
Kick back and enjoy!!
- On floor 3
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Non Smoking Only
- Pets Not Allowed
Bedrooms: 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 4, Beds for 4
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms
Kitchen & Dining
- Catering Available
- Dishes & Utensils
- Coffee Maker
- Washing Machine:
- Clothes Dryer:
- Parking Off Street:
- Air Conditioning:
- Hair Dryer
- Towels Provided
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Satellite / Cable
- CD Player
- Video Library
- Music Library
- DVD Player
- Wireless Internet
Pool & Spa
- Communal Pool
- Deck / Patio:
- Kayak / Canoe:
- Sports & Activities
Location & View
- Ocean View
- Mountain View
- Beach View
- Jet Skiing
- Water Skiing
- Mountain Biking
- Miniature Golf
- Sight Seeing
- Horseback Riding
- Fitness Center
- A Bit About Our Island... Area: 19 square miles (roughly 9 miles long and 2 miles wide) Population: approximately 5,000 (compared to 55,000 on St. Thomas) Geography: The island is situated 1,075 miles East-SouthEast of Miami, and 30 miles east of Puerto Rico. It is covered with lush tropical vegetation and fringed by iridescent shores. Language: English is the official language. Spanish and Creole are also widely spoken. Religion: Catholic, Anglican, Lutheran, Moravian, Baptist, Seventh Day Adventist, Methodist and Jehovah's Witness. Electricity: 110 volts AC, 60Hz (same as on the US mainland) Newspapers: The Tradewinds is St. John's weekly newspaper. The Daily News, published daily, covers the entire US Virgin Islands. USA Today, The Wall Street Journal and several other US Metropolitan and Puerto Rican newspapers are usually also available. Postal Service: Yes, St. John has it's very own Post Office. Zip Code is 00831. Provisions: Yes, we have our very own SuperMarket (not very 'super' by Stateside standards) where you should be able to find just about everything you need food-wise. Expect to pay at least 25% more than Stateside. Wine and spirits are also readily available, and island rums can be cheaper than Coke. Communications: While your rental accommodations will usually offer unlimited free local calls, long distance service is usually blocked. You should come prepared with your own calling card or cell phone. If everything else fails, try 1-800-CALL-ATT. There are a couple of internet cafes where you can check your email, and some rental properties are beginning to offer DSL service. History: St. John's modern day history began in 1718, when the first plantation was established using slave labor. During their heyday, there were 109 different plantations producing sugar, cotton and, of course, rum. Having passed up an earlier opportunity to purchase St. John and the rest of the Danish West Indies for $7.5 million, the US purchased the islands in 1917, at a cost of $25 million, and they are now an unincorporated Territory of the United States. Government: The US Virgin Islands are governed by and elected Governor, and 15 member Senate. Although residents are U.S. citizens, they may not vote in presidential elections. One elected delegate represents the Territory in the U.S. House of Representatives. National Park: In the 1950's, Lawrence Rockefeller acquired ownership of more than half the land area of St. John. Soon after, he reopened Caneel Bay Resort and donated the remaining acreage to the United States Government as public parkland. Currently, the National Park Service staff on St. John maintains over 7,200 acres of parkland and 5,650 acres of offshore waters and reefs. Medical Facilities: The Myrah Keating Smith Clinic is St. John's primary medical care facility. Patients requiring hospitalization are transported by ambulance boat to the Roy L. Schneider Hospital on St. Thomas. Temperature: Sunny days with year round temperatures from 76 to 92 degrees. Daily average temperatures range from 77 degrees in winter to 82 degrees in summer. Warmer days are cooled by pleasant trade winds. Average annual rainfall is 43 inches, with much of that occurring during September and October. Currency: United States currency is used. As on the U.S. mainland, tipping of 15% to 20% is customary for service well done. Time Zone: St. John is in the Atlantic Standard Time Zone, one hour ahead of Eastern Standard Time (except during Daylight Savings Time). Passports: U.S. citizens need not carry passports to visit the Territory, but must be prepared to show evidence of citizenship upon leaving. Some form of identification (driver's license, passport or birth certificate with a picture ID) must be carried. Travel to the British Virgin Islands requires a passport. Dress: St. John has adopted a casual approach to dressing, although abbreviated attire or swimsuits are not acceptable in Cruz Bay. Nude bathing is unlawful. Travel Light: Bring at least two swimsuits, several pairs of shorts, sandals and athletic shoes. There no restaurants in Cruz Bay where a jacket and tie are required or expected. Think casual. Bring a camera, but leave the designer luggage and expensive jewelry at home. Driving: Cars on the island are just like on the US mainland, but driving is on the LEFT side of the road....moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
Wonderful - already planning for next yearGuest comment entered by owner
Wonderful - already planning for next year
Good Morning, Don – I hope you are well. This email is long overdue, but I wanted to let you know what a wonderful time my family had in St. John. Your house is beautiful. Douglas was also great. We are already planning our trip for next year. Thanks again!
- Guest Michael
- Date of stay 07/19/13
- Review Submitted 08/22/13
Perfect for our family of 3. (my husband & I and our 6 year old son) .. Plenty of room to add one or two more. The condo was immaculate and comfortable. Great location.. perfect for walking to town at night. We rented a Jeep and visited many of the beautiful secluded beaches. Loved Trunk Bay the most! Doug, the property manager, took great care of us.. was available to answer our questions, gave awesome recommendations for day sails. Even took time out to help us after we had a little fender bender with the Jeep rental.. Will definitely plan to come back again! Thank you Don! Thank you Doug!
- Guest Nancy R. (near Philadelphia)
- Date of stay 07/20/13
- Review Submitted 08/20/13
Recommended for: Sightseeing, families with young children, adventure seekers.
Extremely Convenient Walking Location to Cruz Bay with Amazing Views!!
Extremely Convenient Walking Location to Cruz Bay with Amazing Views!!
We stayed at Battery Hill in the Tropical Breeze unit. It’s the very top unit in the center building. Don, the owner, was great to work with and always upfront and quick about replying. He mentioned that there’d be Carnival during our stay and even asked a previous guest if the noise affected their stay. The noise only interfered if you’re in the living room area since the windows face Cruz Bay. The bedroom is shielded from the noise and the A/C unit drowns out the rest so you get to sleep. The place was impeccably clean and very spacious. Nice Mexican tiled floor. It’s a 1Bed/2Bath. We were only two people staying there but there is a loft upstairs that can sleep an additional two and even has a full bath up there too. There is a radio in the living room but I don’t think it has an iPod interface. It has a flat screen 32” TV and both a VCR and DVD player. There are also plenty of movies you can watch that are provided. The unit has 2 wall mounted A/C units; one in the bedroom and the other high in the living/dining space. The loft has one of those tall, free standing fan units but we did not even turn it on since we did not go up there. The unit in the bedroom does cool the room off in a few minutes and it does get cold in there. The one in the living space struggles, even at night, to cool the living room off. The loft has two twin beds and the bedroom has a queen. Bathroom is spacious also and has a linen closet that has towels for bathing & beach. Water pressure is good and the water does get very hot if you choose to. The upstairs bathroom has a louvered door. There’s a full kitchen although we didn’t cook at all. There’s no dishwasher but since we didn’t eat in, it didn’t really matter. The living room area is large and comfortable with doors leading out to a nice sized balcony…probably 12’x16’. The view from the balcony is spectacular. You see all of Cruz Bay & St. Thomas. The balcony also faces a couple of the other units in the Battery Hill complex so there’s not much privacy. You can also see the pool area from the balcony. You also see the back of the Grande Bay units from there. The location is perfect! If you’re arriving at the ferry dock, look to your right up the hill and you can see the 3 buildings that make up the Battery Hill complex. They're just above the Grande Bay buildings. I would stay there again in a heartbeat!
- Guest Pete (Miami)
- Date of stay 06/26/13
- Review Submitted 07/14/13
Recommended for: Sightseeing, tourists without a car, romantic getaway, families with young children, age 55+, adventure seekers, families with teenagers.
Owner response: Thanks, Pete...always appreciate hearing from happy guests, and was especially pleased to hear that the noise from Carnival was not too bothersome. As you noted in your review, you didn't use the loft bedroom, which explains how you overlooked the third a/c unit (against the west wall at floor level). Hope you'll come back for Carnival 2014!
Best ViewGuest comment entered by owner
Hi, Don. I just wanted to say thank you for your hospitality and coordinating our stay in St. John. Tropical Breeze must have the best view of Cruz Bay on the island. I've already recommended the unit to a few friends and plan on staying there again. Thanks again.
- Guest Sean
- Date of stay 05/02/13
- Review Submitted 05/17/13
Prime St. John Location
Prime St. John Location
Tropical Breeze Villa was the perfect condo for our family of four’s visit to St. John. The condo was immaculate, nicely decorated and the perfect size. The view from the balcony was an ideal spot for breakfast and happy hour. We didn’t rent a car so the condo’s close proximity to beaches, town and restaurants was key for us. We even didn’t mind the walk back up the hill after dinner! Our only regret during our stay at Tropical Breeze was…we eventually had to leave. We will be back to St. John and Tropical Breeze will be our condo of choice. I would highly recommend this condo.
- Guest Lynn & Gary Fravel (Roswell, GA)
- Date of stay 12/29/12
- Review Submitted 05/05/13
Recommended for: Sightseeing, tourists without a car, girls getaway, romantic getaway, families with young children, age 55+, adventure seekers, families with teenagers.
Spring Break getaway
Spring Break getaway
The island of St John offers an incredible array of activities for everyone. Our group enjoyed hiking Margaret Hill to a stunning overlook point to enjoy Cruz Bay, Solomon Bay and Honeymoon Bay. We found fantastic snorkling at Hurricane Hole, Solomon Bay and Trunk Bay (sea turtles, lively, colorful fish, sting rays...and more!) with Arawak Expeditions. The food, drinks & service at Rhumb Lines and Cafe Roma went beyond our expectations! Battery Hill was the ideal location to enjoy a relaxed morning overlooking Cruz Bay, a refreshing dive into the pool and close access to everything we needed. But, get ready for a trek up & down the hills!
- Guest Spring Break WI getaway (Madison, WI)
- Date of stay 03/23/13
- Review Submitted 04/03/13
Recommended for: Sightseeing, tourists without a car, girls getaway, families with young children, adventure seekers, families with teenagers.
Wonderful Experience at Tropical Breeze
Wonderful Experience at Tropical Breeze
We typically do not offer reviews but just had to comment. Having previously stayed at one of the St. John's hotel/resorts, we decided to try the Tropical Breeze condo in town. The great view, clean unit and close proximity to town was most enjoyable and appreciated. This particular condo worked very well for our family of four and we would absolutely return. We have no hesitation or reservation to recommend this place to others. Douglas was very helpful and had a very friendly attitude. It is not necessary but a jeep rental is highly recommended for island touring. There was plenty of parking space available at this complex.
- Guest C & D (Katy, TX USA)
- Date of stay 03/09/13
- Review Submitted 03/28/13
Recommended for: Adventure seekers, families with teenagers.
Best vacation everGuest comment entered by owner
Best vacation ever
My husband and I can easily say that our stay at Tropical Breeze was the best vacation we have ever had. We are already planning a return trip and thinking we would like to stay for 3 weeks. Thank you again. I can’t imagine a better location in Cruz Bay. We walked up and down those hills at least twice each day. Great exercise!
- Guest Kat
- Date of stay 03/02/13
- Review Submitted 03/25/13
Tropical Breeze is Delightful
Tropical Breeze is Delightful
We can't say enough great things about Tropical Breeze. From the moment we landed in Cruz Bay, we were so well taken care of and welcomed by Douglas, the Property Manager at Tropical Breeze. The accommodations far exceeded our expectations. The condo is very well maintaned, very clean and it clearly has the best views in the area. We loved our walks up and down the hills to get to and from town ( a short walk, but great excercise). There are plenty of activities for any traveler. The downtown area has many shops, great restaurants and there are always taxis available to take you to other parts of the island (very reasonably priced). We kayaked, sailed, explored, snorkeled. The beaches of St. John are beautiful, maybe the most beautiful we've ever seen. We are already thinking about a return trip to St. John, and we would love to stay at Tropical Breeze, which came to feel like home to us. We would highly recommend Tropical Breeze to any of our friends and family.
- Guest KGB (Cape Cod, Massachusetts)
- Date of stay 02/23/13
- Review Submitted 03/12/13
Recommended for: Sightseeing, tourists without a car, girls getaway, romantic getaway, age 55+, adventure seekers, families with teenagers.
The Great Escape
The Great Escape
Our family just returned from a wonderful week at Tropical Breeze. It certainly didn't hurt that we spent our time in paradise instead of home, during the recent Blizzard of 2013 that hit the New England area. Sandy was so helpful and thoughtful when our flight was cancelled; allowing us to extend our stay as well as helping with accommodations in the St. Thomas area until we could return home. The home is outstanding. Every amenity is available to make you comfortable and feel at home. We were met at the ferry by Doug, who helped us to get settled into the unit and get our vacation started on a great note! We chose to stay in, and cook for ourselves on several occasions and the condo has all that you need to enjoy a meal on the beautiful patio overlooking Cruz Bay. We ate at some wonderful restaurants during our stay, including ZoZo's, but to be honest, the view from the patio at Tropical Breeze beats them all! Everything that you read about this unit is accurate. It is immaculately clean and well appointed. The unit is convenient to everything and a car is not needed. It is a healthy walk up the hill when you return from town, but a cab is always available at a very reasonable rate if you choose to be "lazy". We took advantage of the available beach chairs and cooler to use for day trips to the awesome beaches that are minutes away.This was a great option to keep us happy and comfortable on the beach for a day. This is our second time to St. John and we will certainly be back...hope Tropical Breeze is available on our next trip to paradise!
- Guest Susan (Lynnfield, MA)
- Date of stay 02/02/13
- Review Submitted 03/10/13
Recommended for: Sightseeing, girls getaway, romantic getaway, adventure seekers, families with teenagers.
Winter:(Dec 22 - Apr 12) .. $360/night .. $2400/week Spring:(Apr 13 - Jun 28) .. $290/night .. $1900/week Summer:(Jun 29 - Sep 27) .. $260/night .. $1750/week Fall: (Sep 28 - Dec 22) .. $290/night .. $1900/week Note: Rates quoted are for double occupancy; additional guests @ $35/night. Rates during Christmas and New Year's weeks subject to 20% surcharge. Additional fees: 10% USVI tax; $75 cleaning fee for stays less than 5 nights. Minimum stay 4 nights winter, 7 nights during premium weeks.
Note: Until confirmed, rates are subject to change without notice.
This owner accepts HomeAway payments.
Always use this free service to protect your payments up to $10,000 against fraud while keeping your financial information private. With HomeAway Payments, your credit card information is not seen by the owner or manager. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Call the owner to confirm booking request.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Year Purchased: 1998
About the owner: There we are, dripping wet after a late afternoon swim at Trunk Bay. That’s me, the Connecticut Yankee with my Norwegian-born spouse. In 1998, with our vacation needs more focused on winter than summer, we traded our Martha’s Vineyard vacation home for St. John and Battery Hill. Three years later, my brother and I sold our manufacturing business, and I transitioned into real estate sales (currently licensed in both Connecticut and the U.S. Virgin Islands). Inger took early retirement from her secretarial position, so we were free to escape the harsh New England winters. And we did just that. In fact, for 3 of the past 14 years, we lived in Tropical Breeze for the entire winter. Heaven! A rather famous poet once wrote about how man’s best laid plans have a habit of going awry. How right he was! We recently became foster parents to our 15 year-old Grandson, so, for the foreseeable future, wintering on island will be out of the question, and we’ll be focusing on renting our home-away-from-home to nice folks like you.
Why the Owner Chose Cruz Bay:
Convenience to everything...and, oh, those views, those intoxicating views!!
The Unique Benefits at this Condo:
The location allows for life without a car.
- Primary: +1 860485 x 9956
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
View from Tropical Breeze balcony
The Battery Hill property as seen from the ferry quay
Looking south over Cruz Bay harbor. That's Battery Hill at the upper left.
Cruz Bay harbor and Lind Point as viewed from the Battery Hill pool deck
Tropical Breeze living area
Tropical Breeze loft bedroom
Relaxing at Salt Pond Beach
View of cruise ship from the Tropical Breeze deck
A rainbow leads to Cruz Bay harbor.
View from Battery Hill across Pillsbury Sound
Would famous Trunk Bay--one of the 10 best beaches on the planet.
Don't see many of these back in Minnesota, do you? It's a bananaquit.
The Battery Hill property
We love the views from our deck!!
Descending to the Battery Hill pool area
Tropical Breeze kitchen & dining areas as viewed from the entry
Tropical Breeze master bedroom
A peek at the newly renovated kitchen
Secluded Salomon Beach is one of our favorites--and you can walk to it.
A sunset as viewed from the Tropical Breeze deck
Another sunset from our deck!
Cruise ships as seen from our deck.
The calm, family-friendly waters at Maho Bay.
A couple of St. John's feral donkeys looking for a hand-out.
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2007.
Date last modified - Saturday, November 16, 2013
2 Bedroom / 2 Bathroom
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.