VRBO is part of the HomeAway family, the world leader in vacation rentals with over 1 million listings. We offer the largest selection of properties for any travel occasion and every budget. We’re committed to helping families and friends find a perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together. Learn More
You sent a message to this owner.
- Please Note - Choose the amount of the house you need and only pay for that portion; you will STILL have the entire property to yourself. $450/night minimum rate quoted above is per night rate for MAIN house only during low season for the minimum 2 night stay (2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms; sleeps 6 max.). The $933/night maximum rate is for the entire house (5 bedrooms, 5 full bathrooms) for the minimum 2 night stay during high season and the maximum number of guests (16). DISCOUNTS are given for week stay, low season and 4 week stay or longer. Please email us for an exact quote for your group. THANKS!
- 180° Sunset Harbour Views
- 2-5 Bedrooms (plus sitting room/ office) / 2-5 Bathrooms available in total (16 People max.). Choose the number of rooms you need and only pay for those from two to five bedrooms
- Only rented to one group at a time
- Daily maid service included in rental price (except Sundays and holidays) until April 30, 2015. Beginning May 1, 2015, maid service during the rental period must be contracted separately if desired (through optional concierge). Reasonable post-rental clean up will continue to be included in rental rate.
- Dinner Cook included in rental price (except Sundays and holidays; guests provide menu and food). No need to arrange a cook on a daily basis; our cook is at your service. This service will be provided until April 30, 2015; after that time, any cooking services desired will need to be paid for separately through an optional concierge.
- Large and private, fully walled/ fenced garden with hammock, BBQ, colorful and fragrant flora. Garden is lit for romantic night time feel. There is even an OUTDOOR SHOWER with hot and cold water!
- Private Dock - for dinghy or rented Boston Whaler
- Automatic back-up generator
- Impressive Water Views from 3 of the Bedrooms, living room, upstairs sitting room & the kitchen!
- Bedrooms may be configured for 5 couples - 4 w/ Kings, 1 w/ Queen; Or for 3 families - with 2 rooms (w/ 4 beds per room) for kids and 3 rooms for parents (2 w/Kings & 1 w/ Queen)
- BEACH MEMBERSHIP with 6 chairs and 3 umbrellas all set up and waiting for you right between the two most popular resorts on the island (FREE to Blue Dolphin guests; additional chairs and umbrellas may be rented for a nominal daily fee)
- POOL MEMBERSHIP just a few short blocks from the Blue Dolphin
- WEDDING Venue - Great location for an intimate wedding (see photo; to see more wedding photos, use link to Blue Dolphin website then click on Photo Gallery within Harbour Is. heading)
You'll know you're 'not in Kansas anymore' in this charming waterfront Cape Cod style home on beautiful and historic Bay Street. The serenity and beauty of the Blue Dolphin and it's property make it a perennial favorite for photo shoots of catalogs (including Island Company 2007) and magazine/ newspaper articles from Vogue April 1999 to the Wall Street Journal April 23-24, 2011 D10.
The home is ideal for large family gatherings or for couples who want the flexibility of a large house when family or friends are visiting and a cozy cottage when they are alone. The main house on the ground floor sleeps six and includes two bedrooms and two full baths. It may be rented by itself or guests may choose to add up to three additional bedrooms and bathrooms in incremental prices as needed. THE BLUE DOLPHIN WILL ONLY BE RENTED TO ONE GROUP AT A TIME.
The fabulous 180 degree harbour view climaxes each evening with colorful and varying sunsets which may be enjoyed from any one of four porches (front patio; side bedroom covered porch, upstairs sun deck and private master bedroom balcony).
The Blue Dolphin has its own dock right out in front for your dinghy or rented Boston Whaler. The house also has a large and lovely lighted backyard garden filled with beautiful hibiscus, fragrant jasmine, colorful alamanda flowers, a rustic, but very functional barbeque pit and hammock.
Harbour Island was rated #1 in the region of the Caribbean, the Bahamas and Bermuda by Travel & Leisure in 2005 'Best Of' issue, August 2005. The BEACH has been rated one of the 10 best in the World by Condé Nast magazine and was #1 on the Travel Channel's '10 Best Beaches in the Caribbean' 2003 episode. The water in the harbour and at the beach is crystal clear azure, so inviting.
The Blue Dolphin is conveniently located only blocks from shops, restaurants and a short walk or even shorter golf cart ride (preferred mode of island travel) to the famous three mile pink sand beach.
Enjoy 'the best of both worlds' spending your days at the beach and your mornings and evenings on the scenic and tranquil harbour.
Finally, the Blue Dolphin is one of very few houses on the island that include daily maid and dinner cook (except Sundays and holidays), so you're really on vacation (through April 30, 2015; after that time, desired daily maid and cooking services will need to be contracted and paid for separately through our optional concierge).
Four porches on front of house, all overlook harbour. Two are on the ground floor (one covered). Sundeck upstairs overlooks Harbour as does private master bedroom balcony. Covered dining porch to rear of house on the ground floor overlooks large landscaped/lighted tropical garden....moreless
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
High Season - see Notes
Dec 16 - Apr 30, 2015
2 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
$500/nt rate is for MAIN HOUSE only (2Br, 2Ba) <1wk
Rates: $3000 - $5000/wk for up to 10 guests (add'l guests up to max. of 16 at $100/per./wk per add'l guest); rate depends upon total rooms being used. Email for quote
Less than 1 wk rental rate is 1/6 weekly rate per night (6 nights is the same price as 7); 2 night minimum.
10% discount for low season
10% discount for 4 week rental or longer
Paying through this free service protects your payment up to $10,000 against listing fraud. If you are not paying through HomeAway Payments always call the owner at the number listed on our website and never use instant money transfer services such as Western Union and MoneyGram.
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Car: Not Necessary
Have your nails done or get a facial at a local salon. A massage therapist can work out all those kinks either in the salon or in the privacy of the Blue Dolphin.
Year Purchased: 1991
About the owner: Here is a family picture of the Pratts at their vacation home the 'Blue Dolphin' on Harbour Island in the Bahamas. Jamie and Kathy are the parents and the 'boys' are Jason (& his wife Aleksandrina),Ryan and Dylan. Jamie (James) is a distinguished full Professor at the Indiana University, Kelley School of Business in Bloomington, IN. Kathy is a former CPA, homemaker and community volunteer.
Why the Owner Chose Dunmore Town:
Jamie has been going to Harbour Island since 1961 when his Grandfather 'discovered' it and began spending every winter there. Jamie travelled down with his family at Christmas time most every year; they would stay in various rental houses - usually on the Coral Sands property. He made friends with many local Bahamian boys - he is still friends with them 50 years later. His grandfather called 'Colonel Pratt' supported the islanders by assisting them in the purchase of fishing boats, etc. Colonel Pratt held a Christmas party each year for the island children and gave them each a schilling (English currency at the time) and lots of candy; Jamie and the other grandchildren helped with the party and enjoyed it as much as the islanders. Kathy began going to the island when she started dating Jamie in college and fell in love with it (and him) right away! They married and moved to Seattle, Washington. It was a long trip to Harbour, but they visited as often as possible. When they eventually moved back to the midwest, they decided to 'take the plunge' and invest in the island - they have not been sorry! The 'boys' have been going since birth (some of them in-utero). They all love it and hope you will too!
The Unique Benefits at this Villa:
The benefits of staying at the Blue Dolphin include Jamie's special love of gardening which shows in the beautiful and fragrant gardens that surround the house and Kathy's attention to detail within the house itself. Check the vrbo site for all the amenities - a long list. Jamie and Kathy tried to take the best ideas from the many rental homes they have stayed in over the years and incorporate them into their own property while adding a few things they wished they'd had at some of those homes. Kathy remembers hanging clothes on the line when owners either did not have or would not let the renters use the dryer - not at the Blue Dolphin; a full size washer and dryer are available. For those guests who really do like the fresh air scent of clothes dried on the line, there is a clothes line available as well. WiFi is available for guests who want to stay in touch while lounging on the front patio or back by the fire-pit, etc. Kathy and Jamie have always preferred the harbour - sunset side of the island, but they know that the world-famous pink sand beach on the sunrise side is a major attibute of the island as well. So, they have arranged a beach membership to provide 6 beach lounge chairs and 3 shade umbrellas all set up and waiting on a daily basis right between the two most popular resorts on the beach for no extra charge for Blue Dolphin guests. Additional chairs and umbrellas may be utilized for a nominal daily charge. What are you waiting for!
Blue Dolphin - with dock, 180 degree Harbour, Sunset view.
Our beach spot on Briland . . . right between Pink Sands & Coral Sands resorts!
Living Rm complete with board games, WIFI, view of Harbour/Sunset & Garden
Garden Bdrm - bunk beds and twins that may be made up as a king. Adj. full bath
Relax in the garden hammock among colorful Hibiscus & fragrant Jasmine. Barbecue
Side Bedrm; Queen bed; 3/4 bath (shower, sink, toilet); water VIEW; priv. porch.
Stairway to Sundeck, Upstairs Master Bedroom & Upstairs Garden Bedroom
Sitting Rm/ office with daybed & trundle; Kitchenette - mini fridge, coffee mkr
Upstrs garden Bdrm - 4 twins or 2 may be made up as king. Walk-in closet, Lg BA
Island guides can take you fishing, snorkeling or on a deserted island picnic
Setting up for the wedding in the garden of the Blue Dolphin. June, 2012
Wedding party on the Blue Dolphin Dock. June, 2012
This sunset view from the house includes the Blue Dolphin Dock
View of backyard of Blue Dolphin. Complete with beautiful and fragrant flora.
Main floor Master Bedroom - King size bed, Harbour View, ensuite full bath
Kitchen - incl. refrigerator, stove, oven, microwave, dishwasher, washer & dryer
Rustic BBQ is grouper ready
Blue Dolphin sundeck at sunset . . . you gotta be there!
Upstrs mastr Bdrm: priv. balcony, Full BA w/ dbl sinks, walk-in closet, Fab View
Blue Dolphin Guests may use this large and lovely pool FREE!
Fine dining . . . Lobster at the Rock House. Just one of MANY options.
Here comes the Bride (down the stairs of the Blue Dolphin)
Another Beautiful Sunset at the Blue Dolphin - all that's missing is YOU!
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2007.
Date last modified - Wednesday, December 24, 2014
5 Bedroom / 5 Bathroom
+1 (812) 339-8128 Indiana, USA)
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.