Mt.Desert Island, Blue Hill Bay View, Water Access, Perennial & Herb Gardens
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:Contact owner
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Bar Harbor farmhouse description
Large, roomy, comfortable, sunny and fully furnished renovated traditional family farmhouse. Living room with large wraparound deck overlooks Blue Hill Bay. Kitchen, living room (picture window) & bedroom all have views across Bay to Swan's Island. Footpath from house to rocky (tidal) beach at Duck Cove. Perennial gardens surround house, large deck with flower planters & herbs, large lawn with hammocks, hill to rocky beach. House completely set up for summer rentals. Piano, lots of books in living room shelves, large screen TV, herbs on deck, 2 hammocks, children's full size frame play house on trail to cove, rocky beach
3 bedrooms and bathroom upstairs, downstairs bathroom, and laundry facilities. Living room lined with barn-board bookshelves, TV & DVD, children's games. Heated by Monitor oil heat supplemented with wood fireplace stove. Dining room with spinet piano, table seating accommodates 8. Dining room sideboards and cupboards, study, built-in desks. Highspeed internet, wireless, cable. Pet friendly. Sleeps 5
Acreage abuts Acadia National Park, local and island hiking, sailing, excellent restaurants, swimming in ponds within 15 minute drive. Served by Islander bus, on regular schedule.
One of West Tremont's 'historical houses': The house was an 1840's traditional Maine farmhouse, known locally to the older generation as the old Tolman place. The house was expanded and rebuilt in several stages in the mid-nineteenth century (it is now featured as one of West Tremont’s “historical houses”) with entry, barns, connecting rooms. The dining room and kitchen are late nineteenth century additions and the study was the original outside entrance, now fully enclosed and rebuilt as a downstairs study. The side facing the water was opens with picture window, large decks and gardens added. Culinary herbs for cooking on deck for tenant use. It has traditional farmhouse 'feel' but completely renovated and modernized for comfort and convenience.
The house is oriented to the deck and water, with a footpath down to the rocky beach at the head of Duck Cove, and a children's full-size play-out on the footpath. Full perennial gardens around the house, and wild (plowed) fields extending to the water.
Water-view is a conservancy with Maine Coast Heritage Trust. House and acreage protected by MCHT in traditional settings
Weekly rent is $1500, less 10% if 2 weeks or longer.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Children Welcome:
- Pets Considered:
- Wheelchair Inaccessible
- Suitable For Elderly Or Infirm
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Non Smoking Only
Bedrooms: 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6, Beds for 6
- 2 rooms each with Queen-size beds -- one overlooks water and garden. 1 room with 2 single beds -- overlooks field and water -- most suitable as a children's room. Two Queen- bedrooms have ample storage including closets, bureaus, side tables and lamps.. Suitable for 6 (if 2 children), or 5 adults....moreless
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms
- House is fully furnished & ready for use. Large comfortable over-stuffed rockers & chairs, with window-seat along picture window in living room. Living room lined with barn boards & bookshelves with many books and children's games. Wood stove with tiled surround in living room fireplace. Doors from living room and from side entry both lead to large deck with flower boxes and cooking herbs for guest use. Picnic table, side seating, grill and lounge chairs on deck. Hammocks on lawn below deck. Wood-frame children's play house Perennial flower gardens & lawn surround house, field and footpath extend down to Duck Cove, with rocky beach, swimming at mid-to-high tides. Ponds for swimming nearby. 3 bedrooms: 2 with Queen-size beds, and 1 with two single twin size beds. Bathrooms with showers & tub, upstairs & downstairs. Washer & dryer on first floor. Spinet piano. L-shaped & wall-hugging desks. Excellent reading lights throughout & full library with maps for general are...moreless
- Satellite / Cable:
- Books For Adults
- Books For Kids
- Games For Kids
- CD Player
- DVD Player
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Botanical Garden
- Live Theater
- Coin Laundry
- Horseback Riding
- Scenic Drives
- Bird Watching
- Sight Seeing
- Whale Watching
local services and businesses
- Fitness Center
- Massage Therapist
- Medical Services
- Water View:
sports and adventure activities
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Water Skiing
- Mountain Biking
- Deepsea Fishing
- Mountain Climbing
- Pier Fishing
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Dining Room
- Ceiling Fans
- Laundry Soap
- Local Maps
- Paper Towels
- Local Restaurant Guide
- Basic Soaps
- Toilet Paper
- Wireless Internet
- Alarm Clock
- Iron & Board
- Tiled Stove
- Wood Stove:
- Towels Provided:
- Washing Machine:
- Clothes Dryer:
- Linens Provided:
- Air Conditioning:
- Living Room:
- Hair Dryer
- Lobster Pot
- 4 Ring Stove
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Cooking Utensils:
- Coffee Maker:
- Pantry Items:
- Wood Deck
- Walkway To Water
- Beach Chairs
- Beach Towels
- Outdoor Grill
- Lawn / Garden:
- Deck / Patio:
- Kayak / Canoe:
ReviewsWrite a review
My family of 6 thoroughly enjoyed our stay in this house. It is well furnished and the kitchen has everything you need to prepare your meals. The yard is big enough for the kids and dog to play. The kitchen and living room windows overlook the relaxing deck that overlooks the cove as flowers abound in the garden. It is easy to get around the park from this location and then go home to the quiet side of the island. The owner provided a detailed description of the property, directions to and from, local attractions and restaurants as well as maps and guides. The Seafood Ketch in Bass Harbor is 5 minutes away and we enjoyed our dinner there. I would recommend this location to friends and family.
- Guest DDC (Nashua, NH)
- Date of stay 08/03/08
- Review Submitted 08/12/08
Recommended for: Families with teenagers, pet owners.
Summer 2013 rate is $1500 per week. 10% reduction 2 weeks. 7% Maine tax. Cleaning charge for pets.Summer 2013 rats is $1500 per week. 10% reduction 2 weeks or more 7 % Maine sales tax for rentals. Cleaning charge $25/week for pets.Summer 2013 rate is $1500 per week. 10% reduction 2 weeks or more 7% Maine sales tax for rentals. Cleaning charge $25 for pets.
Note: Until confirmed, rates are subject to change without notice.
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
- Nearest Airport: Bar Harbor Airport at 20 Miles
- Nearest Ferry: Swans Island Ferry at 3 Miles
- Nearest Motorway: Rte 1 & 3 at Causeway at 19 Miles
- Nearest Beach: Long Pond & Echo Lake at 3 Miles
- Nearest Barpub: Nemo's at 1 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: Southwest harbor restaurants at 5 Miles
Year Purchased: 1965
About the owner: I fell in love with this farmhouse in 1965, when it was an abandoned chicken farm & have lovingly restored it over almost 5 decades. I am a college professor in Amherst, MA, and return to Mt. Desert every summer. We used to sail but now I mainly attend to the perennial gardens that surround the house.
Why the Owner Chose Bar Harbor:
The house itself is homey, large, tastfully renovated in farmhouse style and comfortable. Everything for your convenience, even a piano & a child's play house on the property. We've rebuilt the house over the years for our own comfort and that of our guests. It has local history going back into the early 19th century. Gorgeous view out across the water of Blue Hill Bay, short trail down to Duck Cove (rocky beach on our property), large hillside, beautiful pereniial gardens, and the hiking or touring pleasures of Mt Desert Island a bike or car ride away in minutes. Wonderful local restaurants. Terrific place for a family vacation and getaway.
The Unique Benefits at this Farmhouse:
The view, the ease of access to hiking and biking and boating, local nature tours, bird-watching, naps in the hammocks, lots of books in shelves lining the living room, terrifically comfortable house.
- Primary: +413 253 3479 Please leave message on voice machine if no answer
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
View of house, wraparound deck and one of the gardens
View from living-room onto deck and garden
Deck and water view (Blue Hill Bay at Duck Cove)
Side entrance from driveway
Living room (windows onto front lawn)
View into kitchen through dining room doorway
View from garden out over Blue Hill Bay
One of the three upstairs bedrooms (queen bed)
Deck, barn and garden
Living room (windows onto garden and water view)
Dining room (windows onto driveway)
Partial view of kitchen
3 Bedroom / 2 Bathroom
+413 253 3479
Please leave message on voice machine if no answer
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.