Roadrunner Retreat-a Treasure Found in the 'Mountain Empire'
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:2 nights
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Patagonia house description
'Roadrunner Retreat' is located in the artist's hamlet an international birding destination of Patagonia. Patagonia, Sonoita and Elgin are referred to as the 'Mountain Empire' & are located in Southern Arizona's 'sky islands' just 50 miles south of Tucson. This region is noted for its scenery, year round comfortable climate, open spaces & eclectic culture. Patagonia is one of the west's last undiscovered treasures with charming downtown shops & galleries. The area is known worldwide for the 300 species of birds that migrate through or nest along its creeks & waterways. In addition to the many hiking and biking trails, visit the local wineries and surrounding ghost towns. This spacious 2000 square foot brick adobe home is ideal for escaping the summer heat or winter cold. The Retreat is tastefully furnished & decorated in a comfortable and casual southwestern style. It has striking views of the Patagonia & Coronado Mountains which provides enchanting sunrises & glorious sunsets.
Relax, Enjoy and Unwind: 'Roadrunner Retreat' is truly a special place with striking territorial views of the Patagonia and Coronado Mountains and a perfect southwestern view of 'Red Mountain' which provides enchanting sunrises and glorious sunsets from the patio. This region is noted for its scenery, year round comfortable climate, open spaces and eclectic culture. 'Roadrunner' is just a short distance from year round habitat for rare and exotic birds...one of the most exciting spots for birding in the entire country. The Nature Conservancy Preserve beautiful scenery thrives with unique riparian wildlife bred by the Sonoita Creek. The creek just a few short block from the 'Roadrunner' is home to some of the world's best bird watching and the oldest Fremont Cottonwood tress, some 130 years old and towering more then 100 feet. More then 300 bird species have been signed in the Preserve and several unique hummingbirds and butterflies.
Explore the richness and diversity of this setting: Coronado National Forest and the surrounding areas offer year-round recreation opportunities for all energy levels. In addition to the many hiking and biking trails, you can visit the local wineries in Sonoita and Elgin and the surrounding ghosts towns. Visit Patagonia Lake State Park just a short drive from Patagonia where you can fish, swim or boat. It is a great way to spend a day with friends and family.
It's hard for some folks to image but Arizona has about a dozen wine regions and the Sonoita/Elgin area together with Patagonia is one of the premier spots. With an elevation of 5,000 feet & soil that's been compared to Tuscany, the area features five vineyards as well as several under development. Some of the vintages have received flowing reviews. The 3rd weekend in April is the Annual Blessing of Sonoital Vineyards Festival, October is the Patagonia Fall Festival and November is the annual 'new release festival' for the Sonoita Vineyards.
Activities to Enjoy: Located amid the Patagonia Mountains at 4000 foot elevation, this spacious 2000 square foot brick adobe home is idea for escaping the summer heat or winter cold. Patagonia is one of the most exciting spots for birding in the entire country. Sonoita Creek just a short distance from the house is home to some of the world's best bird watching. More then 300 bird species have been sighted in the Preserve. Coronado National Forest and the surrounding areas offer year round recreation opportunities for all energy levels. In addition to the many hiking and biking trails, you can visit the local wineries in Sonoita and Elgin and the surrounding ghosts towns. Birdwatchers, wildlife enthusiasts, photographers, hikers and mountain climbers have hundreds of miles of national forest and wilderness trails to explore. Take an easy day trip to visit Tombstone and then meander through the Mule Mountains to Bisbee 'Queen of the Copper Camps.'
- 1 story
- 2000 sq. ft.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Children Welcome:
- Minimum Age Limit For Renters:
- Low Allergen Environment
- Non Smoking Only
- Pets Not Allowed
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
Bedrooms: 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8, Beds for 8
- The spacious master bedroom has a very comfortable queen size bed and patio view. The bedroom is furnished with a computer credenza and hutch. The work center creates a working environment that is as pleasing to the eye as it is functional. The master bedroom has a large walk in closet and plenty of storage and large dresser. The master bath w/jacuzzi tub adjoins the room. The guest bedroom has a garden view w/queen bed. This bedroom has two large closets and a dresser. A full size bathroom adjoins this room. There are two additional queen sleeper sofas that are separated for privacy in the living and Arizona (family) room....moreless
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms
- Roadrunner Retreat is perfect for a weekend getaway, a special retreat and is a 'home away from home.' The Retreat is tastefully furnished & decorated in a comfortable and casual southwestern style. It has beautiful red tile floors throughout the house. The Arizona Room is great for a family gathering area with ample seating for watching TV or movies or just admiring the views of the surrounding mountains and gardens. The living room has a fireplace. The large dining room has pleasant views of the patio and the 'country kitchen' is fully equipped with dishwasher, microwave, and service for eight. From the dining room you step out onto the patio where you can sunbathe, entertain friends or enjoy glorious sunsets while watching resident birds and other wildlife settle in for the evening. Comfortable patio area has dining table & chairs with a market umbrella and hot tub. Gas grill provided. ...moreless
- Satellite / Cable:
- Video Library
- Music Library
- Games For Kids
- Away From It All
- Live Theater
- Botanical Garden
- Duty Free Shops
- Winery Tours
- Eco Tourism
- Horseback Riding
- Scenic Drives
- Paddle Boating
- Sight Seeing
- Bird Watching
local services and businesses
- Massage Therapist
- Medical Services
- Mountain View:
sports and adventure activities
- Mountain Biking
- Equestrian Events
- Fly Fishing
- Freshwater Fishing
- Hunting Big Game
- Hunting Small Game
- Mountain Climbing
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Dining Room
forms of payment
- Accept Credit Card
- Washing Machine:
- Clothes Dryer:
- Linens Provided:
- Towels Provided:
- Living Room:
- Hair Dryer
- Parking Off Street:
- Air Conditioning:
- Basic Soaps
- Iron & Board
- Laundry Soap
- Local Activities Guide
- Local Maps
- Paper Towels
- Local Restaurant Guide
- Toilet Paper
- Sofa Bed
- Activities Guide
- Ceiling Fans
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Cooking Utensils:
- Pantry Items:
- Coffee Maker
- Outdoor Grill:
- Deck / Patio:
ReviewsWrite a review
Kickback in Patagonia
Kickback in Patagonia
We recently did our second stay at the Road Runner Retreat and it was even better than the first. The house is perched on the side of a hill looking out at the Patagonia Mountains to the south. You are within a short walk to the center of town, but you would never know it while enjoying the birds on the patio off the dining room. There was plenty of bird seed to keep them coming and we saw a couple of new species to add to our life lists. The place has all the comforts of home including some friendly neighbors. We did some wine tasting in Elgin and found a great new Italian restaurant (Viaggio Italiano) in Sonoita. Patagoinia has to be one of the friendliest towns I have ever visited. There is an eclectic mixture of folks from long time hispanic residents to retired hippies and artists. I would recommend this place to anyone who enjoys the outdoors, local color and history.
- Guest Michael K. (Phoenix, AZ USA)
- Date of stay 11/08/09
- Review Submitted 11/17/09
Recommended for: Sightseeing, age 55+, families with young children, adventure seekers.
Owner response: Roadrunner Retreat is located in one of Arizona's "undiscovered treasures" of Patagonia in the Mountain Empire just a short 50 minute drive south of Tucson. Patagonia along with Sonoita and Elgin are referred to as the "Mountain Empire" and are part of the new emerging Arizona Wine Country. This region is noted for its scenery, year round comfortable climate - one of the best in the world, open spaces and eclectic culture. Roadrunner is truly a "special place" with territorial view with enchanting sunrises and glorious sunsets. Great for weekend getaways or longer stays which allow lots of time for exploring this incredibly diverse and beautify area. Linda & Rick
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Mar 1 - Apr 30, 2014
2 night min stay
Notes: tax included 10% off stay of six nights or longer 35% 3 wk-longer
May 1 - Jun 13, 2014
2 night min stay
Notes: tax included 10% off stay of six nights or longer 35% 3 wk-longer - no housekeeping charge
Payment is usually accepted in the quoted currency ($) unless the currency and the amount is specifically agreed in advance with the owner / advertiser.
Additional information about rental rates:
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
- Nearest Airport: Tucson at 50 Miles
- Nearest Train: Nogales at 17 Miles
- Nearest Motorway: Patagonia at 0.5 Miles
- Nearest Beach: Lake Patagonia at 17 Miles
- Nearest Barpub: Patagopnia at 5 Miles
- Nearest Ski: Mt Lemon at 50 Miles
- Nearest Golf: Nogales at 15 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: Patagonia at 5 Miles
- Primary: +1 3604550220 24 hr messaging service
- Fax: +1 360 491-0936 24 hr service
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Main entrance to home
Casa front door and pathway to wall patio which overlooks Red Mtn.
View of dining room w/access to patio
View of 'Arizona Room'
View of master bedroom w/work center
View of patio, garden and views
Patio eating & lounge area
View of mountains from patio
Patagonia sunset from patio
Front of home with seating area for relaxing & enjoying mtn. views.
View of 'Red Mountain' from home
View of living & dining rooms
View of Arizona Room near entry
View of guest bedroom
Sunset from patio
View of Red Moutain from patio
2 Bedroom / 2 Bathroom
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.