Long Term/Short Term Georgeous 1803 Private Bastide in Ai
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:Contact owner
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Aix en Provence chateau / country house description
AIX EN PROVENCE, FRANCE
Spectacular 18th century Bastide. Great shopping, dining and culture minutes away in downtown Aix but the feeling of life in an authentic Provencal estate with beautiful views of the countryside and absolutely no neighbors in site is life changing.
This property consists of the "maison principal" built in 1803 with 2 foot thick walls, tall ceilings, ancient flooring, original doors, windows and shutters. It is a truly an authentic Provencal bastide, facing due south with 3 floors of occupancy. The ceiling heights are 10 ft plus and the proportion of the rooms are perfect.
The estate includes all the North American touches which will make your stay much easier and much, much more comfortable. American pillow-top mattresses, down pillows and duvets, 100% cotton sheets, flat screen TV's (2) and wireless internet. Bathrooms are basic, very functional, and for the most part, original. The property is supplied with great water pressure and abundant hot water (new water heater 2008).
The kitchen is oriented for both family living and catered entertaining.
2 Huge SMEG (made in Germany)oven/cooktops, 2 dishwashers, microwave, 2 large Lieberr (made in Germany) refrigerators, "Nespresso" automatic coffee maker and coffee/tea pots, plus storage in the playroom directly connecting to the kitchen, for food and extras. Silverware, cooking utensils, long stemmed "bordeaux" wine glasses, simple white plates.
The exterior grounds are georgeous. The main automatic gated entry slopes down to the main house and 12.5 meter pool, then down to the tennis court. Landscaping is mature and the 6 ancient plane trees in front of the Bastide are truly breathtaking. These trees, 210 years old and majestic, provide shading for the house from the summer heat.
Extensive seating and entertaining areas abound outside. It feels open and secluded all at once. Feel free to call or e mail if you need additional information or photos.
· Two Formal gated entries, one Main entry with security television camera and automatic opening mechanism and one Service entry.
· Park like setting on 2.8 Hectares (Approximately 7 acres) with spectacular Plane Trees shading house and dining areas. Additional farmland surrounding but within the property fencing totals approximately 18 acres (6 hectares).
· Tennis Court with Tennis House which is equipped with dressing rooms and showers.
· Pool with new, electric state of the art cover.(2007 pool cover)
· Pool House with wet bar, changing rooms and bathroom.
· 2 Smith & Hawkin teak pool lounge chairs plus more furniture including dining table/chairs, 8 bright yellow "sun chairs" and more.
· Regulation Boules de Petanque court.
· Outdoor Kitchen/Dining area with grand pine farm dining table and chairs accommodating 12 people comfortably. Plus pizza oven and huge stainless steel Webber gas BBQ.
· Outdoor lighting of all walkways, dining areas and recreation sights. (see caretake for contols of lights)
· Large Guest Parking Areas in service area. (4 car parking plus overflow)
· Location is unique in that the property is surrounded by farmland, but only minutes from downtown Aix-en-Provence and its historic main boulevard the Cours Mirabeau which terminates in the great "rotonde" fountain.
The property is quiet and very private.
· 15 minutes to TGV and 25 to Marginane (Marseilles) International Airport. Direct access of to the house is via a very very small gravel road which terminates approximately 300 meters after the property. This creates a very private entry with little traffic.
* 6 beds and 4.5 baths
* #1 Master Bedroom, 1 king
* #2 In-laws Bedroom, 1 king
* #3 Guest Bedroom, 1 Queen Size Bed or 2 twins.
* #4 Children's Room, 2 Twins
* #5 2 Twin Beds
* #6 1 twin and 1 smaller child's bed.
Other amenities include:
· New, pillow top American made mattresses
· American type shower heads with decent pressure
· Totally equipped Kitchen with new appliances including dish drawers, large refrigerators with wine storage and double ovens.
· Dining rooms seats 12
· Living room and family room, both with large fireplaces
· Laundry room with stacking Miele Washer/Dryer
· Children's play room/ movie room
· Media room + office with fax and wireless internet
· Wireless internet in the kitchen.
· Guest House #1 - 1 Bedroom and 1 bath, Small kitchenette, King Size Bed
· All living areas have Furnace/radiator heat.
· Live in English Speaking caretakers who are available to assist.
· Sports equipment including bicycles, and vespa rental is negotiable.
· House cleaner 3 days per week included, 3 hours daily.
· Gardener/Pool maintenance included
Keywords: Beautiful Private Rolling Estate
- Chateau / Country House
- Vacation Rental
Swimming Pool, soccer field, tennis court, basketball hoop, ping pong, children's play room (with flat screen) foosball (mini foot) boules de petanque, pine forest, fully fenced 18 acres of land. Children can very happily stay home while parents head off to the market for the day....moreless
- Pets Not Allowed
- Non Smoking Only
Bedrooms: 7 Bedrooms, Sleeps 14, Beds for 14
- King size beds (1) 4 pillow top king size beds of extremely high quality were imported from Calif. and Oregon. They are very very comfortable and less than 3 years old. 3 traditional king beds and 1 California king. The king beds are located on in each of the two guest houses and two on the 2nd floor of the bastide. The sleeping is set up for 4 couples plus children. These beds are very comfortable and are in keeping with finer hotels in the US., Queen size Beds (1) Queen Bed in 1 BR Guest House, Twin or Single Beds (1) Again, all imported twins of very high quality., Child Beds (1) Two small children's beds are +-5 and 1/2 feet long. Well suited for children up to age 10., Baby Cribs (1) Two cribs plus linens can be assembled in the room of your choice upon request....moreless
Bathrooms: 6 Bathrooms, 1 Half Bathroom
Kitchen & Dining
A cook can be arranged at additional costs. The kitchen is directly accessed by both the interior and exterior dining rooms for ease of catered meals. This property is ideally suited for very high end entertaining....moreless
10 burner SMEG range with two large ovens. Double Dish Drawer dishwasher, two very large refrigerators, microwave, all normal pots and pans typical of a well equipped American kitchen with a double sink....moreless
Parking Off Street:
The property, consisting of approximately 18 acres (7 hectares) of land is gently sloping. Parking is abundant but the dedicated parking area is set for 4 cars. The entire property is fenced and entry / exit through a automatic gate. Additional off street parking is available....moreless
- Linens Provided:
- Wood Fireplace:
- Clothes Dryer:
- If you are looking for a truly French Provencal experience, this is it. Behind the gates you will find our beautiful bastide dating from 1803. The 6 bedroom, 12 room main bastide "maison principal" is approximately 480 m2 with a 1 bedroom guest house. The grounds are lovely but not overdone. Pool, boules de petanque, tennis court (artificial grass) soccer field provide a playground for adults and children alike. The property is very well suited for 2 families with in-laws. Hikes and bicycling from the property awaits simply by departing from the gates. Full time caretakers live on site and are available to answer your questions. 15 minutes to the truly breathtaking Aix Gare TGV and 22 minutes to the Marseilles/Provence (MRS) international airport. The property is furnished with understated elegance and simply country antiques. You can relax here and visit everything in Provence within a short 1 hour drive....moreless
- Satellite / Cable:
- Ping Pong Table
- DVD Player
- Broadband Access:
- Wireless Internet
Deck / Patio:
The outside area is approximately 1000 square feet (90 m 2) with a tile roof, fireplace and wood burning pizza oven. Outdoor area has an antique farm table with seating for 10 to 12. We dine outside in front of the fire during the months of March, April, May and September and October (sometimes even in November). It is a lovely Provincial experience to view the plane trees and garden while dining in front of the fire outside!...moreless
- Lanai / Gazebo:
- Outdoor Grill
Location & View
Our 'monument' is the Provencial countryside. From some parts of the property, one can see the famous mountain called the 'St. Victoire' which was painted literally hundreds of times by Cezanne. The view is extremely peaceful and one feels miles from the daily markets. Exactly 4.5 kilometers from our driveway, one is in the center of Aix-en-Provence. Our bastide is authentic and was rumored to be owned by 'Mirabeau' of the Cours Mirabeau, the famous main boulevard in the Centre Ville D'Aix....moreless
- Rock Climbing
- Basketball Court
- Mountain Biking
- Theme Parks
- Live Theater
- Sight Seeing
ReviewsWrite a review
Hi Michael: I just wanted to say what a wonderful time we had at the Bastide during our 2 week stay in June. We took home so many wonderful memories...we laughed alot, cooked pizzas in the pizza oven and drank lots of good wine! Ben and Mary were fantastic...they gave us lots of ideas on where to go and we will always remember that they got married on June 26, which is our daughter's birthday! We visited Mary at her winery and sent home several bottles of wine. It was also so convenient having the TGV station so close. We took day trips into Marseille, Avignon and then drove to Nice and Cannes and made a stop in Montecarlo to try our luck at the casino! Our daughter loved hanging out with Owen...if she could, she would have taken him home with us! And the home was absolutely incredible!! Everyone was able to have their own space and bathroom, and we enjoyed playing ping pong and baseball in the amazing field. Thanks again for a wonderful time...we are still talking and laughing about our family trip!!
- Guest Cristina (Alamo, CA)
- Date of stay 06/19/10
- Review Submitted 10/22/10
Recommended for: Sightseeing, girls getaway, families with young children, families with teenagers.
Michael, we are back from France and had a great time. Our Paris accomodations were undergoing unexpected renovation, so arriving at your fantastic place in AIX was a trip saver. It was warm during our stay so we spent a great deal of time relaxing at the pool and swimming. There were 8 of us, most of whom loved cooking, so we spent wonderful times shopping at the markets and then eating and drinking wine outside. Mary and Ben were lovely people and gave us good advice on where to go. We visited Mary at the winery (just like home), drove to Roussiollon one day and to Cassis on another where one of my relatives got to join the rowing team, We loved Owen who became a temporary member of our family. I can't thank you enough for offering your house to us. Take care, Anna
- Guest Anna (Malibu)
- Date of stay 07/25/10
- Review Submitted 08/07/10
Recommended for: Sightseeing, girls getaway, adventure seekers, romantic getaway, age 55+, families with teenagers.
Nov to Apr .. 6000 Euros/week May and Oct...... 7,000 Euros/week Jun ...... 8,000 Euros/week Jul & Sept...... 9,000 Euros/week Aug ...... 10,000 Euros/week 50% DISCOUNT 6,000 euros per month for sept 2013 to June 12 2013+ utilities Normal long term rates are 12,000 per month- now 50% discount
Note: Until confirmed, rates are subject to change without notice.
This owner accepts: Credit cards.
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details. Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Year Purchased: 2007
About the owner: We live in California and vacation all around europe and the world.
Why the Owner Chose Aix en Provence:
We have lived in this property for 2 years and it is a fabulous location. We relocated back to CA in 2009. Life in aix is fantastic and truly the ideal provencal vacation can be had at our lovely property.
The Unique Benefits at this Chateau / Country House:
It is within minutes of all the metropolitan features of Aix but located in the Countryside with the feeling of being miles away from Civilization.
- Primary: (650) 464-9299 (California, USA)
- Secondary: (650) 617-0700 (California, USA)
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Main Bastide at front entry
Living room seating area and fireplace
Front entry and automatic gate
Outside dining area for 12, outside fireplace and pizza oven
Child's bedroom on 2nd Floor
Outdoor Dining under the Plane Trees
Pool and garden view
Kitchen with two SMEG 5 burner ovens, double dish drawer and table for 6
Boules de Petanque and Tennis Courts
outdoor setting and yard areas
Secure gated entry with remote call button
Orignial 1803 windows
"Les Platanes" in summer
Enjoy a photo opportunity in our Citroen 2CV!
There have been visitors to this page since
the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2008.
Date last modified - Friday, November 29, 2013