VRBO is part of the HomeAway family, the world leader in vacation rentals with over 1 million listings. We offer the largest selection of properties for any travel occasion and every budget. We’re committed to helping families and friends find a perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together. Learn More
Private mountaintop retreat on 10 acres with 360 degree views to the distant ocean and mountains. This is an ideal place for metaphysical reflections, newlyweds, writers, artists or romantic renewals. This location is not suitable for young children.
Daytime activities at 'home' may include relaxing in the hot tub, swimming in the pool, or sitting on one of the many giant boulders watching red tail hawks soar at eye level. At night you can watch shooting stars, or sit around the fire ring and watch the fire light dancing in the reflection of the pool. In the morning you may find yourself above the clouds. This is truly a place that must be experienced to understand.
While you may feel a million miles away from the city, if you decide to pursue more worldly activities, you are just 45 minutes from downtown San Diego, including the gas lamp district, world famous San Diego zoo, Sea World, and the beach communities. Or stay in Jamul and enjoy hiking, horseback riding and golf. Pets welcome with approval in advance
Find us on Facebook: Search for Metaphysical Retreat. See nearly 100 photos and frequently asked questions.
Visit our Website: do a Google search for 'Metaphysical Retreat PRIVATE VACATION HOME. Experience the Extraordinary Jamul, California (in San Diego county)'
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS 1) What does metaphysical mean? Metaphysical simply means that which is not physical. See a definition of metaphysical retreat from dictionary.com. Our retreat has attracted those from all faiths, from Christian ministers to shamans. Although furnished and stocked with books and videos that many 'new age' people would relish (such as on astral projection, astrology, natural remedies, etc), we are open to all those who seek a spiritual or private retreat.
2) Will I be sharing the retreat with anyone? Just with nature. The rental has two separate living areas, and both are included in the rental. There are no other structures on the 10 acres.
3) How long does it take to drive there from the San Diego airport? Typically 45 minutes, but if you arrive during rush hour, it may be longer. Middle of the night...and it may be faster.
4) How is the driveway? Do I need a 4-wheel drive vehicle or will I need to hike up a mountain? The driveway is steep and curvy, and part dirt, part gravel, part concrete. We have never had a problem getting a standard vehicle up to the top, but if you have your brand new Porsche, this is probably not the place you want to drive.
5) I am afraid of heights. Will I have a problem there? Probably yes. The house is perched on its own private mountaintop with many cliffs and ledges. Sometimes if feels like you are in an airplane, especially if you looking down at a sea of clouds with islands of mountaintops.
6) Are there rattlesnakes there? Although I have never personally seen one on the property, one must always assume that in the backcountry of San Diego, there are rattlesnakes. If you have a dog, we recommend a leash and that you stay on pathways where you can see where you are walking.
7) What is the weather like 'this' time of year? Here is my best guestimate based on my own personal observation. Weather subject to change, of course. January - often showers and cold. Spend your time by the electric fireplace in the poolside bedroom, or enjoy the quiet. February - unpredictable. Beautiful spring weather one day, cool the next. Everything is green and the lake is full. Some days are spent inside the clouds. March - Ah, spring. Still cool, but the birds are building nests. Could rain. April - More spring. The butterflies arrive. The birds have babies. May - San Diego has May Gray, but no worries, you live above the clouds. Plan SD activities in the afternoon once the gray lifts. June - San Diego has June gloom, but for you it is summer. Hot, with cool ocean breezes. Red tail hawks soaring at eye level. July - Summer for all. Hot. Lots of time floating in the pool. Nights in the hot tub. August - Just like July but more meteor showers. Not often rainy. September - Just like July; some cooler nights, but not much. Lots of stars. October - Weather can start to change, gets cooler, but the Milky Way seems SO close November - Thanksgiving. Maybe some rain. Maybe sun. Toss a coin. December - Cool and windy, or Indian summer... no telling what you'll get.
8) Is the pool heated? Can you swim in the pool? If you are me, and you require 85 degrees to swim, than no. I prefer to float on a lounger or swim in the hot tub. But if you are my husband, you love to alternate between the pool and hot tub. If you are a kid, or kid at heart, you'll be swimming. Most likely from July-September. Hot tubs always in season. (Of course, if you REALLY want it heated, we can heat it with the hot tub propane for 6 hours a day which will get it warm or less cold depending on the time of year; extra cost is $150 per day. Just ask.)
9) Who built that house? The house was completed in 1992 and designed by architect David Klages, who studied under James Hubble; a renowned 'organic' architect. The philosophy of organic architecture is that structure should blend with and compliment nature, not overcome it. The house is small by design, and built into the boulders. See more about the Hubbell philosophy at Hubbell and Hubbell website
10) Can I have my wedding or special event here? Possibly. Approved on a case by case basis. Event fees of $1,500 apply for events with up to 10 persons. Other restrictions apply. Inquire for more information.
11) Is the firepit propane or wood burning? Propane. San Diego backcountry is prone to fires. No wood burning is permitted.
Summer (High Season) May 1 - Sep 6, 2015 4 night min stay
Fall (Mid Season) Sep 7 - Jan 3, 2016 2 night min stay
$350 Fri, Sat
My Standard Rate 2 night min stay
$350 Fri, Sat
* Approximate Monthly rates, actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay
Additional information about rental rates
Damage protection policy ($1500)$49
Policy available by contacting owner when booking.
Book with confidence
Paying through this free service protects your payment up to $10,000 against listing fraud. If you are not paying through HomeAway Payments always call the owner at the number listed on our website and never use instant money transfer services such as Western Union and MoneyGram.
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.
Jamul is a small, rural community located in the mountains 45 minutes east of downtown San Diego and the beach communities. Translated in Indian to 'a place where antelope go to drink water,' Jamul ranges in elevations of 993 feet to 3,660 feet (at the peak of the mountain).
Other Activities: star-gazing, metaphysical reflections
Year Purchased: 2004
Why the Owner Chose Jamul: The first time I came to this retreat was a few months after a personal tragedy- in which we had lost our home and everything we owned in a wildfire. We were considering if we would rebuild or buy, when we came upon the retreat. Pictures can not capture the true energy of this magical place. The first time I visited the house, I was so profoundly moved that I climbed out onto a boulder by myself and cried. I have yet to fully understand my tears or my emotions. There was just something, (and still is something), so incredibly powerful about this spot on earth that goes far beyond the beauty of the house and the expansive views. The sun feels more intense here, the wind is stronger, the cold colder. The house feels energized and alive. Magical things happen there on a daily basis. Butterflies appear in great numbers. Red tail hawks circle above, or at eye level, or below. And then there are the changes within. I have found that no matter what my real world stresses are, when I am in Jamul, suddenly they lose importance. I have also discovered that whatever it is I am focusing my attention on while I am in Jamul, my thoughts begin to very quickly materialize in my “real” life. Don’t be surprised if when you come off the mountain, you feel unexplainably changed. Don’t be surprised if the coincidences in your life become suddenly more frequent, and if you start to see those things you focused on while in Jamul begin to take shape in your life. I know that the retreat was incredibly healing for us as we recovered from our own personal losses, and we are happy to be able to share its magic with others.
The Unique Benefits at this House: This property is one of its kind on the planet. Built by architect David Kleges, this example of organic architecture exemplifies the union of nature and structure. This is truly a one-of-its kind properties, and was included on the list of California's 'Coolest places to stay' - see the list here: http://gocalifornia.about.com/od/calodging/ig/California-s-Coolest-Places-to-Stay/
Primary:+1 6194548389Please email for availability and price