Blissful Beauty Near the Berkshires: 148 Acres of Quiet
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:7 nights
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Hillsdale estate description
Modern house in the country, 3 bedrooms + den, 2.5 baths, sleeps 6 in beds.
One week minimum rental.
At the Hillsdale Vacation Home, enjoy the blissful quiet and beauty of Hillsdale, New York (Columbia County, NY), bordering Massachusetts and the Berkshires.
Situated on 148 wooded acres, this furnished home is secluded, but minutes from the town of Hillsdale and just 30 minutes from the restaurants, shopping, and entertainment of Great Barrington, Mass. and the Berkshires.
The view from the Hillsdale Vacation Home: 360-degrees of trees and not another house in sight.
It's country living with quick access to skiing at Catamount (in Hillsdale) and Butternut (Gt. Barrington) and all the recreational and cultural activities of Columbia County and the Berkshires. (You won't want to miss the Catamount Aerial Adventure Park ropes park, Hillsdale's newest attraction.)
Walk to to White Oak Farm's farm stand for fresh jams and BBQ sauce and walk to the famous Book Barn on Rodman Road.
6 miles to Hillsdale 'downtown,' where you'll find a grocery store, great restaurants, a new ice cream/coffee shop, a gourmet cheese shop, and other shops.
5 miles to the new Roeliff Jansen Community Library, where you can find books, art exhibits, special events, and hot coffee!
14 miles to the shopping, restaurants, coffee houses, theaters, and museums of Gt. Barrington.
15 miles to the restaurants, movies, shops, and grocery stores of Chatham, New York.
20 miles to shopping, dining, and movies in Hudson.
21 miles to the symphony at Tanglewood.
19 miles to Lake Taghkanic State Park where -- depending on the season -- you can swim at a fantastic beach, launch and rent boats, snowmobile, ice skate, and more.
New York City residents: it's just 120 miles north -- a 2.5 hour drive -- to country living.
Boston residents: it's just a 3 hour drive west on the Mass Pike.
Keywords: Hillsdale Vacation Home, secluded vacation home, vacation rental near the Berkshires, vacation rental near Catamount, vacation rental near Butternut, vacation rental near Tanglewood, skiing in Columbia County, Aerial Adventure Park, vacation home in the country
- 2 story
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Children Welcome:
Bedrooms: 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8, Beds for 6-8
- MASTER BEDROOM (downstairs): One king size bed 73' long, 75' wide (yes it's oriented sideways), with reversable memory foam/traditional 4' mattress topper; UPSTAIRS BEDROOMS: Two small bedrooms each with two Single Beds; DOWNSTAIRS DEN: Sofa bed (approx. Queen size) in downstairs den/library....moreless
Bathrooms: 3 Bathrooms
Kitchen & Dining
- Coffee Maker:
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Dining Area Seats:
- Cooking Utensils
Parking For RV/Boat/Trailer:
This house is situated on a single-lane country road, and the driveway is long and winding. Plenty of parking space, but a larger camper/RV-type vehicle might not be able to get to it. Access is not guaranteed....moreless
- Living Room seats 8:
- Wood Stove:
- Linens Provided:
- Parking Off Street:
- On 148 wooded acres with panoramic woodland view and absolute quiet. No other homes, structures, or roads visible from the house. The property is also within range of all the attractions of the Berkshires, Tanglewood, Great Barrington (Mass.), Columbia County (New York), and approx. 2.5 hours from New York City. 30 minute drive to Wassaic train station. Only minutes from the Catamount Ski Resort and the Catamount Aerial Adventure (ropes climbing) Park, and about 30 minutes from Butternut Ski Area. Also close to Copake Lake and a bit further to Lake Taghkanic State Park (a fantastic park with a great beach and boat rentals)....moreless
- Satellite / Cable:
- Music Library:
- Ping Pong Table
- DVD Player
- CD Player
- Broadband Access:
- Deck / Patio:
- Lawn / Garden:
- Tourist Attractions
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
Location & View
- Cross Country Skiing
- Wildlife Viewing
- Mountain Biking
- Hot Air Ballooning
- Miniature Golf
- Theme Parks
- Paddle Boating
- Live Theater
- Bird Watching
- Sight Seeing
- Horseback Riding
- Scenic Drives
- 6 miles to Catamount Ski Resort and Aerial Adventure Park 16 miles to Butternut Ski Resort Bike the Rail Trail (bike rentals available at Bash Bish Bicycle) Hike to Bash Bish Falls Swim the Ore Bed Enjoy farm-stand produce (in season) Browse the famous Book Barn on Pumpkin Hill Rd. 19 miles to Lake Taghkanic State Park where -- depending on the season -- you can swim at a fantastic beach, launch and rent boats, snowmobile, ice skate, and more. Check out the new Catamount Aerial Adventure Park (ropes course) at the Catamount ski area. 14 miles to the shopping, restaurants, coffee houses, theaters, and museums of Great Barrington. 20 miles to shopping, dining, and movies in Hudson. 21 miles to the symphony at Tanglewood. 5 miles to the new Roeliff Jansen Community Library, where you can find books, art exhibits, special events, and hot coffee! New York City residents: it's just 120 miles north -- a 2.5 hour drive -- to country living. Boston residents: it's just a 3 hour drive west on the Mass Pike....moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
Our family rented this wonderful home for the past few summers and always had the best time. We finally decided to buy our own vacation home nearby and will miss our time there, but we know another family will now get to enjoy it. It is spacious and well maintained inside and private and beautifully landscaped outside with tall mature trees, large grass field and deck out back, and a paved driveway in front where our kids loved to rip-stick on sunny days or play ping-pong in the connected garage when it rained. Much of the furniture inside was made by the original owner which adds warmth to house. Every last detail was thought of, including three skylights in the kitchen that automatically close when it rains. The owners are the nicest people you can meet and always went the extra yard to make our stay enjoyable. We never had to worry about a thing with the lawn being mowed and the garbage being removed for us so we could just sit back and relax. We can't recommend enough this great house if you want a quiet retreat and be nearby all that Columbia County has to offer.
- Guest Jay & Amy (New York, NY)
- Date of stay 06/29/13
- Review Submitted 09/30/13
Recommended for: Families with teenagers, adventure seekers, sightseeing, romantic getaway, families with young children, age 55+, girls getaway.
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
7 night min stay
Oct 1 - Oct 31
7 night min stay
May 1 - May 31
7 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
Rates based on 6 guest occupancy. Extra charge for up to two extra guests ($25/guest per week or $75/guest per month).
Longer term (multiple month) guests contact us for rates.
Advance payment equal to 50% of the rental total plus the $200 security deposit is required to secure a reservation, and the full balance is due seven days before arrival. Payable by check.
Additional Fees and Taxes:
$200 refundable security deposit required.
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
- Nearest Airport: Albany at 59 Miles
- Nearest Train: Amtrak Station - Hudson at 19 Miles
- Nearest Motorway: Taconic State Parkway at 4.2 Miles
- Nearest Beach: Lake Taghkanic State Park at 22 Miles
- Nearest Ski: Catamount Ski Resort at 6 Miles
- Nearest Golf: Copake Country Club at 6 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: Hilldale House and Four Brothers at 3.7 Miles
About the owner: 'My father bought the land and a rustic farm house in 1949. I grew up in that old house in the late '60s, and after I left home in 1984 my parents sold it along with a portion of the land. They kept the larger tract and built a new modern home down the road. As my father was a craftsman and furniture maker, he designed the home and did much of the interior work, which included custom cabinets and doors. The house has a modernist appeal, with clean and simple, but elegant design. Many '70s and '80s homes suffered through the shag carpet era of lime greens and ornate golds. This house avoided that unfortunate trend using natural wood finishes and neutral-colored ceramic tiles. Today the house retains its original modern character. By offering it for vacation rentals, we can keep the property in the family for our two boys.' -- Audrey
Why the Owner Chose Hillsdale:
Renting this property to vacationers enables us to keep it for our children. They're 12 and 15 years old now, and someday they may want to spend time 'in the country.'
The Unique Benefits at this Estate:
When we want peace and quiet, we've got it. When we want fine dining, it's a short drive. Dinner and a movie... we head to Great Barrington, Chatham, or Hudson. Fine wines... we head into Hillsdale to the gourmet wine and specialty food shop. I should also mention the people. In this rural community everyone knows everyone (and if you're new, it's not a problem). Just walk down the road, and you'll notice that everyone who drives by will greet you. Walk down the road to the famous Book Barn. Walk a little more and you can stop at the White Oak Farm stand where you can pick up some jam, BBQ sauce, or seasonal produce. You'll also get to see quite a bit of wildlife: deer, groundhogs, wild turkeys, other birds including Blue Heron (if you're lucky), frogs, squirrels, chipmunks, and domestic farm animals, including the 'hairy cows.'
- Primary: (650) 270-6712 (California, USA)
- Secondary: (650) 303-2405 (California, USA)
Links to more information:
Hillsdale Vacation Home. Quiet seclusion on 148 wooded acres, not far from fun.
Hillsdale Vacation Home: Ground floor master bedroom with king memory foam bed.
View from living room toward dining room (right)
Hillsdale Vacation Home: Not another house visible from this property
Hillsdale Vacation Home: View of the rock garden next to the driveway.
Hillsdale Vacation Home: Driveway view, looking away from the house
Hillsdale Vacation Home: Nearby Catamount Aerial Adventure Park. Fantastic!
Hillsdale Vacation Home: Skiing at nearby Catamount (Butternut is also close by)
Hillsdale Vacation Home living room view. This sofa folds flat for sleeping.
A corner of the kitchen
Dining area with plenty of seating
Hillsdale vacation rental kitchen and dining room
Hillsdale Vacation Home: View of library/den.
View of the deck and the side yard and tree line
Hillsdale Vacation Home: Autumn view from the deck.
Hillsdale Vacation Home: Backyard autumn view
Hillsdale Vacation Home: A visitor from the forest
Hillsdale Vacation Home: Nearby Catamount Aerial Adventure Park. We LOVE it.
Hillsdale Vacation Home kitchen view.
Hillsdale Vacation Home upstairs bedroom with two twin beds.
Nothing but trees out the window
A view into the living room.
Hillsdale Vacation Home on 148 wooded acres
There have been visitors to this page since
the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2009.
Date last modified - Tuesday, July 16, 2013