Magical Bayfront Home
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:2-5 nights
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:Yes
Port Republic house description
We book Friday to Friday in July and August. We rent two kayaks for $75.00 each for your entire stay.
Beautiful sunrises and panoramic bay views make this three-bedroom/two-bath (sleeps eight) beach front house spectacular. It's located on Maryland's western shore, just 45 minutes from Washington, DC. The area is rich in colonial history, as well as in fossils from the Miocene era. Enjoy miles of sandy shoreline, a 450-foot private pier, and two-mile nature trail through deep woods, open recreational field, playground, and plenty of fabulous seafood restaurants.
This is a magical place. I'm not sure there are words to describe the charm of our warm and inviting home on the bay. The views from every room are simply breathtaking! You'll truly feel like you are on a ship overlooking a vast body of water. The view is constantly changing -- either due to weather, or by the large variety of boats and birds.
The house itself has 'yesteryear' charm combined with today's modern conveniences. It has a wrap-around porch that now includes the gourmet kitchen where your views are magnificent. The kitchen has solid cherry cabinets with granite counter tops and top of the line appliances. It is fun kitchen to work in because of the views.
Recently renovated, the home has two stunning stone fireplaces, and hardwood floors throughout, with the exception of the porch, which is tiled. The lower level is open with walls of glass surrounding two sides …. the views are breathtaking from every room. We have two separate family gathering areas on the lower level, one on the porch and the other by the stone fireplace with a 45” screen T.V. This floor plan allows for everyone to have their space yet not fell separated from the group. The upper level is conveniently designed as third sitting area with another T.V over the fireplace. The sofa serves as a queen size bed and the blow up mattress is extremely comfortable, not something typically found in a sofa bed. There is a trundle bed in this room that serves as two twin beds. You will love the desk in this room, perfect for your computer, if you can stop looking at the bay as it has a 6’ picture window.
The master bath is spectacular. It has an oversized floor to ceiling shower with two shower nozzles. There is a 6’ picture window in the shower so the view while showering is not something you would find even in the Ritz. The master bedroom has a cathedral ceiling and is a wall of glass. You wake up every morning to the sun rise over the bay and every morning the sky looks different. Although we have wooden blinds, I think you will want to keep them up because it is truly like looking at a living canvas and it will be a memory you won’t ever forget.
Enjoy an enclosed outdoor shower that has wonderful views of the bay. The front deck spans the entire length of the house. Imagine sipping wine or your morning coffee and watching the blue herons -- our local eagles -- and an assortment of other birds diving into the bay in search of their next feast. Or watching the large variety of boats traveling the bay for commerce or pleasure. Or waking up in the morning to the sun rising over the bay, with spectacular colors that would inspire anyone to paint. Or spending countless hours fishing or crabbing off the 450-foot pier. Or walking the 3,000 feet of beach is search for sea glass or fossils from the Miocene era including sharks teeth. This is truly the place where special memories are made.
We also have a back deck which is wonderful for morning coffee. The deck is surrounded by beautiful gardens offering an assortment of color for your enjoyment. There is a 20 year old Crape Myrtle that graces our walkway. It starts blooming in mid July thru August and sometimes into September. You will really enjoy the beauty of its deep blossoms as you sip your coffee. There is another tree that sits close to our deck, offering you lots of privacy, which is a favorite sanctuary for an assortment of birds. Expect to be serenade by various songs as birds chat with each other. Download a bird app and listen to the excitement of the birds around you.
We also have a large open field, perfect for a playing soccer with your children or a baseball game. Also enjoy our miles and miles of nature trails that spread throughout our back 80 acres which is adjacent to an even larger nature preserve. It is hard to leave the beach and its miles of open beach but the back land is also nature wonderment.
As all my guests have said… “This is a vacation you will never forget… it is magical!”
Ignore the key words listed below, Homeaway has no way to white them out. I am trying to get picked up by the search engines.
Washington D.C. tourist destination, Washington D.C. tourist destination, sightseeing in dc sightseeing in Washington dc Sightseeing DC weekly house rentals dc weekly house rentals Washington D.C. Places to stay in D.C. touring D.C Touring Washington D.C. vacation homes in dc vacation homes in WashingtonD.C. Good deals in Washington D.C. short term rentals, Washington D.C. Favorites in Washington d c. Favorite places to stay in Washington d c, great places to staying D.C. great places to stay in D.C. Best places to stay in Washington d.c. with kids, best places to stay in Washington D.C., short term rental in Washington d.c. best places to stay with kids in Washington d.c., family friendly accommodations in Washington D.C. guide to hotels, things to do and see in Washington d.c., vacation rentals in Washington d.c,. Washington D.C. vacation rentals, best vacation homes in Washington d.c. where to stay in Washington d.c., vacation homes in Washington D.C.,pet friendly vacation homes Washington d.c., Washington D.C. , pet friendly places to stay in Washington D.C. pet friendly homes in Washington d.c. pet friendly accommodations in Washington d.c.
- 2200 sq. ft.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Housekeeper Included
- Non Smoking Only
- Pets Considered:
Bedrooms: 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- The Master Bedroom has a panoramic view of the Bay. The view is incredible- it is like looking out at a living canvas. The second bedroom converts into a second family room. We have a sleep sofa that is extremely comfortable and a day bed that contains two twin beds. There is a large stone fireplace with a 32' high definition television over it. We also have a desk that over looks the bay - perfect for a lap top! The floors are hardwood that were just refinished and freshly painted. walls The third bedroom is charming and bright with lots of windows. It is located on the lower level and has an adjacent full bath...moreless
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms
- Just renovated full bathroom upstairs that has a 6 foot picture window of the bay. It is truly one of most spectacular bathrooms you will ever see. The tile is exquisite and done by a true craftsman with an artist flair. The outside shower is very cool as well. It is a covered show but you have a breathtaking view of the bay....moreless
- Amenities for the Bay The magical bay house is located in a community that has lots of special amenities on site. We have a 450 foot pier which is perfect for crabbing and fishing. You can either use our crab pot or catch the crabs off the pilings. We provide a long metal net. The big stripers are back in the bay, so you have a good chance of catching a 30” fish. Blue fish, croakers, flounder, mackerel, and spot also abound…. Lots of great memories will be had at the end of the pier! You can walk for miles on the sandy shoreline. There are fossils from the Miocene era (15-20 millions ago) all along the shoreline. It is great fun to find the old scalloped shells and paint them with your children; they will become your treasures. You will also find sharks teeth and old pieces of sea glass. Don’t be surprised to find a wale or shark vertebrae, coral, and sand dollars from the Miocene era. There are several in the house that we found over the years. Be sure to study our books in the house about both which will add to your great fun. Besides the beach, the community also owns 80 acres of deep woods behind our property. It is adjacent to another nature preserve so consequently there are miles and miles of trails. The trails at times follow a creek and become steep as the path wanders its way through this nature preserve. The woods are full of very old trees and a wide assortment of hardwoods. It is so quiet and tranquil, you could spend all day just exploring. The woods are thrill for bird watchers because of the wide assortment of bird life. We also have a playground directly behind our home, perfect for the young children. There is an open field just a 100 feet away for a pick up came of soccer or baseball. Just down the road, there is miniature golf and a water park which I am sure your children will love. We have so many great restaurants within ten minutes from our home, it would be impossible to visit them all! The Calvert Museum in Solomon’s is a must. You will learn all about the fossils found along our shoreline, how boats were built in yesteryear and the history of Southern Maryland. There is a light house on site that is fascinating to see. You can take a boat ride from the Museum which will take you for a tour all around the area. You can also take a ride on an Oyster Boar and learn how they fish for oysters. The Museum also has lots of night life so be sure to look them up before you arrive and purchase tickets for the fun entertainment they always offer. Solomon’s Island is also filled with lots of old Victorian houses, great seafood restaurants and fun shops. Calvert County has so much to offer, it is known as the “Charm of the Chesapeake”. You can trace the history of the railroads at the Chesapeake Beach Railway Museum; learn about life in the Chesapeake Bay at the Chesapeake Biological Laboratory; shop the farm markets for local produce… one is just down the road from us called Chesapeake Bounty. You should Google it before you arrive to see their weekly specials; study over 100 species of birds in their natural habitat at Battle Creek Cypress Swamp; tour the historic churches; explore the work of wonderful artisans at Ann Marie Sculpture Garden’s ; watch sailboat races from the Solomon’s Island Rivrwalk on Thursday nights throughout the summer; trace early history at the Jefferson Parkers Patterson Park and Museum, an archeological and environmental preserve; learn the role the Chesapeake Bay played in shaping bayside communities at the Bayside History Museum; Visit the J.C. Lore & Sons Oyster Houseman restored 1934 seafood-packing house in Solomon’s; or Walk or bike the scenic Chesapeake Beach Railway Trail. Please visit our web site for more detailed information about fun things to do in our area....moreless
- DVD Player
- Music Library
- Away From It All
- Tourist Attractions
- Live Theater
- Theme Parks
- Winery Tours
Local Services & Businesses
- Fitness Center
- Bird Watching
- Horseback Riding
- Miniature Golf
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
- Wildlife Viewing
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Fly Fishing
- Golf Privileges Optional
- Jet Skiing
- Pier Fishing
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Water Skiing
- Dining Room
- Seating for 8 people
- Air Conditioning
- Alarm Clock
- Broadband Access
- Ceiling Fans
- Clothes Dryer
- Free Long Distance:
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided:
- Living Room
- Local Restaurant Guide
- Parking Off Street:
- Coffee Maker
- Cooking Utensils
- Dishes & Utensils
- Ice Maker
- Pantry Items
- Child's Swing
- Deck / Patio:
- Kayak / Canoe:
- Outdoor Grill
- Wood Deck
Forms Of Payment
- Accept Credit Card
- Housekeeper Included
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Jul 10 - Sep 4, 2015
5 night min stay
Sep 5 - Nov 30, 2015
2 night min stay
My Standard Rate
2 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
- kayak rental $75 + tax
- Tax Rate 5%
Policy available by contacting owner when booking.
Pay with confidence
Paying through this free service protects your payment up to $10,000 against listing fraud. If you are not paying through HomeAway Payments always call the owner at the number listed on our website and never use instant money transfer services such as Western Union and MoneyGram.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
The area is rich in colonial history. St. Mary's County is just a few miles away and it is the home of Maryland's first colonial settlement. Solomon’s Island is a charming Victorian Village that has an abundant number of fabulous sea food restaurants with great ambiance. It also is the home to the well known Chesapeake Bay museum. It has displays that teach you about the fossils that you will find on our beach as well as the names of all the shark teeth. It also features the many different ships that sailed the bay for the past three centuries. At night they offer a variety of music festivals. We are only 45 minutes from Washington D.C.
Year Purchased: 1981
About the owner: My husband and I purchased this property in 1980. We are in a community called Governors Run that is rich in history. Where our pier exists, it was formerly one of the oldest wharfs in Southern Maryland. At the turn of the century, it was a resort for Washingtonians. A group of us purchased the entire 15 home resort, each owning our individual homes. We have successfully turned into one of the more magical and beautiful spots on the Chesapeake. One day, I will write a book about this great adventure.
Why the Owner Chose Port Republic:
Beautiful sunrises and panoramic bay views make this three-bedroom/two-bath (sleeps eight) beach house spectacular. It's located on Maryland's western shore, just 45 minutes from Washington, DC. The area is rich in colonial history, as well as in fossils from the Miocene era. Enjoy miles of sandy shoreline, a 450-foot private pier, two-mile nature trail through deep woods, open recreational field, playground, and plenty of fabulous seafood restaurants. This is a magical place. I'm not sure there are words to describe the charm of our warm and inviting home on the bay. The views from every room are simply breathtaking! You'll truly feel like you are on a ship overlooking a vast body of water. The view is constantly changing -- either due to weather, or by the large variety of boats and birds. The house itself has 'yesteryear' charm combined with today's modern conveniences. It has a wrap-around porch that now includes the kitchen where your views are simply magnificent.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
There are very few communites on the Chesapeake Bay where you can walk for miles on sandy beach, tide/jelly fish permitting. We are one of them. We also own 80 acres with miles and miles of nature trails through deep hardwoods along a stream, perfect for birders or those who like the solitude of of the woods.
- Primary: +1 7036230463
Links to more information:
Our Magical Home on the Bay, lots of windows, magnificent views from very room
Expansive beach with a fire pit & large charcoal bar-be-que, pier. Walk miles!
View from our deck
Looking into the kitchen from the entrance hallway
Sitting area off the kitchen, very cozy and you will love watching the birds
Spacious living room off porch
Trundle bed which opens to two twins in upstairs great room
Upstairs great room, sofa opens to queen size bed
View from the master bedroom
View from mater bath shower
36' Rock caught off our pier
Chesapeake Rainbows are such a treat
Full moon over the bay, it lights up the sky
Kitchen with granite countertops. New stove, dishwasher and refrigerator.
First floor bedroom
Spacious upstairs family rm, opens into a bedroom with sleep sofa & trundle bed
Master BR, Morning sun rises with the brilliant colored sky is breathtaking
Master Bath- 8 foot picture window of the bay
You will love your pier
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2005.
Date last modified - Friday, November 21, 2014
3 Bedroom / 2 Bathroom
Get an instant quote
- Response time: Within a few hours
- Response rate: 100%
- Calendar last updated: 10/09/2014
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.