Magical Bayfront Home
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:2 nights
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:Yes
Port Republic house description
Beautiful sunrises and panoramic bay views make this three-bedroom/two-bath (sleeps eight) beach front house spectacular. It's located on Maryland's western shore, just 45 minutes from Washington, DC. The area is rich in colonial history, as well as in fossils from the Miocene era. Enjoy miles of sandy shoreline, a 450-foot private pier, and two-mile nature trail through deep woods, open recreational field, playground, and plenty of fabulous seafood restaurants.
This is a magical place. I'm not sure there are words to describe the charm of our warm and inviting home on the bay. The views from every room are simply breathtaking! You'll truly feel like you are on a ship overlooking a vast body of water. The view is constantly changing -- either due to weather, or by the large variety of boats and birds.
The house itself has 'yesteryear' charm combined with today's modern conveniences. It has a wrap-around porch that now includes the gourmet kitchen where your views are magnificent. The kitchen has solid cherry cabinets with granite counter tops and top of the line appliances. It is fun kitchen to work in because of the views.
Recently renovated, the home has two stunning stone fireplaces, and hardwood floors throughout, with the exception of the porch, which is tiled. The lower level is open with walls of glass surrounding two sides …. the views are breathtaking from every room. We have two separate family gathering areas on the lower level, one on the porch and the other by the stone fireplace with a 45” screen T.V. This floor plan allows for everyone to have their space yet not fell separated from the group. The upper level is conveniently designed as third sitting area with another T.V over the fireplace. The sofa serves as a queen size bed and the blow up mattress is extremely comfortable, not something typically found in a sofa bed. There is a trundle bed in this room that serves as two twin beds. You will love the desk in this room, perfect for your computer, if you can stop looking at the bay as it has a 6’ picture window.
The master bath is spectacular. It has an oversized floor to ceiling shower with two shower nozzles. There is a 6’ picture window in the shower so the view while showering is not something you would find even in the Ritz. The master bedroom has a cathedral ceiling and is a wall of glass. You wake up every morning to the sun rise over the bay and every morning the sky looks different. Although we have wooden blinds, I think you will want to keep them up because it is truly like looking at a living canvas and it will be a memory you won’t ever forget.
Enjoy an enclosed outdoor shower that has wonderful views of the bay. The front deck spans the entire length of the house. Imagine sipping wine or your morning coffee and watching the blue herons -- our local eagles -- and an assortment of other birds diving into the bay in search of their next feast. Or watching the large variety of boats traveling the bay for commerce or pleasure. Or waking up in the morning to the sun rising over the bay, with spectacular colors that would inspire anyone to paint. Or spending countless hours fishing or crabbing off the 450-foot pier. Or walking the 3,000 feet of beach is search for sea glass or fossils from the Miocene era including sharks teeth. This is truly the place where special memories are made.
We also have a back deck which is wonderful for morning coffee. The deck is surrounded by beautiful gardens offering an assortment of color for your enjoyment. There is a 20 year old Crape Myrtle that graces our walkway. It starts blooming in mid July thru August and sometimes into September. You will really enjoy the beauty of its deep blossoms as you sip your coffee. There is another tree that sits close to our deck, offering you lots of privacy, which is a favorite sanctuary for an assortment of birds. Expect to be serenade by various songs as birds chat with each other. Download a bird app and listen to the excitement of the birds around you.
We also have a large open field, perfect for a playing soccer with your children or a baseball game. Also enjoy our miles and miles of nature trails that spread throughout our back 80 acres which is adjacent to an even larger nature preserve. It is hard to leave the beach and its miles of open beach but the back land is also nature wonderment.
As all my guests have said… “This is a vacation you will never forget… it is magical!”
Ignore the key words listed below, Homeaway has no way to white them out. I am trying to get picked up by the search engines.
Washington D.C. tourist destination, Washington D.C. tourist destination, sightseeing in dc sightseeing in Washington dc Sightseeing DC weekly house rentals dc weekly house rentals Washington D.C. Places to stay in D.C. touring D.C Touring Washington D.C. vacation homes in dc vacation homes in WashingtonD.C. Good deals in Washington D.C. short term rentals, Washington D.C. Favorites in Washington d c. Favorite places to stay in Washington d c, great places to staying D.C. great places to stay in D.C. Best places to stay in Washington d.c. with kids, best places to stay in Washington D.C., short term rental in Washington d.c. best places to stay with kids in Washington d.c., family friendly accommodations in Washington D.C. guide to hotels, things to do and see in Washington d.c., vacation rentals in Washington d.c,. Washington D.C. vacation rentals, best vacation homes in Washington d.c. where to stay in Washington d.c., vacation homes in Washington D.C.,pet friendly vacation homes Washington d.c., Washington D.C. , pet friendly places to stay in Washington D.C. pet friendly homes in Washington d.c. pet friendly accommodations in Washington d.c.
- 2200 sq. ft.
- Vacation Rental
- Housekeeper Included
- Suitable For Elderly Or Infirm
- Children Welcome
- Pets Considered:
- Non Smoking Only
Bedrooms: 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- The Master Bedroom has a panoramic view of the Bay. The view is incredible- it is like looking out at a living canvas. The second bedroom converts into a second family room. We have a sleep sofa that is extremely comfortable and a day bed that contains two twin beds. There is a large stone fireplace with a 32' high definition television over it. We also have a desk that over looks the bay - perfect for a lap top! The floors are hardwood that were just refinished and freshly painted. walls The third bedroom is charming and bright with lots of windows. It is located on the lower level and has an adjacent full bath...moreless
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms
- Just renovated full bathroom upstairs that has a 6 foot picture window of the bay. It is truly one of most spectacular bathrooms you will ever see. The tile is exquisite and done by a true craftsman with an artist flair. The outside shower is very cool as well. It is a covered show but you have a breathtaking view of the bay....moreless
- Amenities for the Bay The magical bay house is located in a community that has lots of special amenities on site. We have a 450 foot pier which is perfect for crabbing and fishing. You can either use our crab pot or catch the crabs off the pilings. We provide a long metal net. The big stripers are back in the bay, so you have a good chance of catching a 30” fish. Blue fish, croakers, flounder, mackerel, and spot also abound…. Lots of great memories will be had at the end of the pier! You can walk for miles on the sandy shoreline. There are fossils from the Miocene era (15-20 millions ago) all along the shoreline. It is great fun to find the old scalloped shells and paint them with your children; they will become your treasures. You will also find sharks teeth and old pieces of sea glass. Don’t be surprised to find a wale or shark vertebrae, coral, and sand dollars from the Miocene era. There are several in the house that we found over the years. Be sure to study our books in the house about both which will add to your great fun. Besides the beach, the community also owns 80 acres of deep woods behind our property. It is adjacent to another nature preserve so consequently there are miles and miles of trails. The trails at times follow a creek and become steep as the path wanders its way through this nature preserve. The woods are full of very old trees and a wide assortment of hardwoods. It is so quiet and tranquil, you could spend all day just exploring. The woods are thrill for bird watchers because of the wide assortment of bird life. We also have a playground directly behind our home, perfect for the young children. There is an open field just a 100 feet away for a pick up came of soccer or baseball. Just down the road, there is miniature golf and a water park which I am sure your children will love. We have so many great restaurants within ten minutes from our home, it would be impossible to visit them all! The Calvert Museum in Solomon’s is a must. You will learn all about the fossils found along our shoreline, how boats were built in yesteryear and the history of Southern Maryland. There is a light house on site that is fascinating to see. You can take a boat ride from the Museum which will take you for a tour all around the area. You can also take a ride on an Oyster Boar and learn how they fish for oysters. The Museum also has lots of night life so be sure to look them up before you arrive and purchase tickets for the fun entertainment they always offer. Solomon’s Island is also filled with lots of old Victorian houses, great seafood restaurants and fun shops. Calvert County has so much to offer, it is known as the “Charm of the Chesapeake”. You can trace the history of the railroads at the Chesapeake Beach Railway Museum; learn about life in the Chesapeake Bay at the Chesapeake Biological Laboratory; shop the farm markets for local produce… one is just down the road from us called Chesapeake Bounty. You should Google it before you arrive to see their weekly specials; study over 100 species of birds in their natural habitat at Battle Creek Cypress Swamp; tour the historic churches; explore the work of wonderful artisans at Ann Marie Sculpture Garden’s ; watch sailboat races from the Solomon’s Island Rivrwalk on Thursday nights throughout the summer; trace early history at the Jefferson Parkers Patterson Park and Museum, an archeological and environmental preserve; learn the role the Chesapeake Bay played in shaping bayside communities at the Bayside History Museum; Visit the J.C. Lore & Sons Oyster Houseman restored 1934 seafood-packing house in Solomon’s; or Walk or bike the scenic Chesapeake Beach Railway Trail. Please visit our web site for more detailed information about fun things to do in our area....moreless
- CD Player
- DVD Player
- Games For Kids
- Music Library
- Video Library
- Satellite / Cable:
- Winery Tours
- Live Theater
- Theme Parks
- Bird Watching
- Sight Seeing
- Wildlife Viewing
- Horseback Riding
- Scenic Drives
- Miniature Golf
local services and businesses
- Fitness Center
sports and adventure activities
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Water Skiing
- Jet Skiing
- Fly Fishing
- Golf Privileges Optional
- Pier Fishing
- Dining Area
forms of payment
- Accept Credit Card
- Free Long Distance:
- Parking For RV/Boat/Trailer:
- Linens Provided:
- Wood Fireplace:
- Broadband Access
- Wireless Internet
- Thermos Bottle
- Parking Off Street:
- Parking On Street
- Alarm Clock
- Ceiling Fans
- Hair Dryer
- Local Restaurant Guide
- Toilet Paper
- Washing Machine
- Clothes Dryer
- Air Conditioning
- Iron & Board
- Housekeeper Included
- Coffee Maker
- Cooking Utensils
- Coffee Grinder
- Ice Maker
- Lobster Pot
- Pantry Items
- Outdoor Grill
- Child's Swing
- Wood Deck
ReviewsWrite a review
This house was exceptional. My family and i loved it. We would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a private beach atmosphere. My family and I give it four stars. I recommend it to everyone.
- Guest warsavage (Harrisburg,Pa)
- Date of stay 07/01/07
- Review Submitted 07/16/07
"Beautiful" is the best word to describe it. Amazing stay, the weather didn't last for us though. The last day was cold, wet & windy. Other than that we all had a wonderful time. Thanks for the memories!
- Guest Phyllis (Virginia)
- Date of stay 10/04/12
- Review Submitted 10/11/12
Recommended for: Families with young children, pet owners, families with teenagers, adventure seekers, sightseeing, age 55+, romantic getaway, girls getaway.
Our family has just returned from our stay, and can't come down from the clouds quite yet. We had the pleasure of settling into someone's home, not a sterile/cold vacation rental property. The neighbors even greeted us as neighbors! A magical weekend in preparation and celebration of our daughter's wedding was truly energized and informed by a comfortable, clean, flexible home base, coming fully equipped with the beauty of the bay, the quietude of the perch, the conveniences of the modern world - all wrapped into one. There is a spirit of creativity and love we found pervasive, evidenced in the thoughtful decorations, the private nooks and the open social areas throughout the house. Bring your own spirit here and you'll find it emboldened upon leaving!
- Guest Douglas D.
- Date of stay 09/13/12
- Review Submitted 09/21/12
WHAT A VIEW!
WHAT A VIEW!
This place was exactly what we were looking for - and more. The pictures of the house are truly what you get. The outside deck was really large and it became a favorite spot for us to gather throughout the day and enjoy dinner after dark. We enjoyed the whole house, every room, all of it was just perfect! Loved our long walks on the beach and finding all the fossils was an extra treatWe could not have asked for a more relaxing trip. My entire family decided it was the best vacation ever!!! Go there...you'll love it!!!
- Guest Ashleigh L.
- Date of stay 05/10/11
- Review Submitted 02/23/12
Beautiful Bay Getaway
Beautiful Bay Getaway
We have been vacationing at the bay house for many years starting when our children were young. All four are now grown and married and have children of their own and they all love to go back to visit and introduce it to their children. We have enjoyed the surprise of new items and rennovations as the years go by each time we go back along with the usual expected ammenities. The bay house is what I think of when I think of Rest and Relaxation. The deck is heaven looking out over the cliffs at the Bay. The seagulls frequently wing by as do a pair of bald eagles. The pier enables us to get out on the water and fish and talk and dream and at night the stars are brilliant from the deck as the rising moon beams reflect on the water. The sunrise can't be put in to words. Our family favorite tho is walking on the beach below the house. It's a wonderful adventure each and every time with all sorts of finds while listening to the water lap again the sand. If you chose this getaway you'll want to keep going back. Nothing can compare.
- Guest Marybeth D.
- Date of stay 01/08/12
- Review Submitted 02/22/12
Home Away from Home!
Home Away from Home!
This home is absolutely wonderful and I would strongly recommend it to anyone who wants to experience memories of a life time. The views from every window are incredible and the decks outside are great for enjoying a BBQ or the complete tranquility and magic of this unbelievable place!! This was the perfect place to stay to relax, while enjoying the comforts of home. We could not have asked for a better home to rent or place to vacation. My entire family decided it was the best vacation ever!!! Go there...you'll love it!!! The Anderson's
- Guest Joyce A.
- Date of stay 09/04/11
- Review Submitted 02/21/12
Great Vacation, Lovely Location
Great Vacation, Lovely Location
My family had one of our best vacations at this beautiful location on the Chesapeak Bay. The house is spacious, clean and just charming with a spectacular view of the Bay. The furniture and the beds are very comfortable, and the property is well maintained and beautifully designed. There is truly something for everyone - whether it's total relaxation on the sandy beacfh, or something more active like swimming, fishing, walking the nature trails, or searching for fossils. We also enjoyed exploring the surrounding area and dining on great seafood on Solomon's Island. Relaxing on the deck at night, gazing at a star fillied sky while listening to the sounds of the Bay, was the perfect way to end an evening. This was a very memorable vacation and we are looking forward to reuturning.
- Guest Joy D. (Milford, CT)
- Date of stay 06/11/11
- Review Submitted 02/21/12
Complete relaxation and beautiful surroundings
Complete relaxation and beautiful surroundings
Wanted to thank Alicia and Greg for our wonderful vacation. The house was lovely and exceeded our expectations with its many amenities and beautiful furnishings. We departed relaxed and refreshed and full of delicious crab from Stony's. In the morning we found it difficult to leave the porch as there was always something exciting going on - eagles and hawks soaring over the cliffs, many cardinals and a host of other birds; there were people fishing on the docks, crabbers on the bay, people walking the beach - and most lovely of all the sound of the surf day and night. My husband was very pleased with his fishing! Thank you for sharing your beautiful home with us and look forward to our return next year.
- Guest G.M.K (Richmond, Virginia)
- Date of stay 05/12/10
- Review Submitted 05/30/10
Recommended for: Families with young children, sightseeing, age 55+, romantic getaway, girls getaway.
We had a girl's getaway here for my 30th birthday, and the experience far exceeded our expectations. The house was beautiful and was just steps from a private beach, there are clear views of the bay from almost every corner of the house, and I fell asleep to a 180 degree view of the bay and the sounds of the surf in the master bedroom. It's minutes from Solomon's Island and has something for everyone. The owners are extremely helpful and courteous. I'd highly recommend it and will come back again!
- Guest Miko (DC Region)
- Date of stay 05/30/08
- Review Submitted 06/11/08
Recommended for: Families with teenagers, sightseeing, age 55+, romantic getaway, people with disabilities, girls getaway.
This was a beautiful spot to spend the weekend, we left wishing we could have stayed longer. Very relaxing and the view from the deck is wonderful. Fantastic features inside the home also, sound system is great.
- Guest Bev S. (Southeast US)
- Date of stay 05/23/08
- Review Submitted 06/03/08
Recommended for: Families with young children, pet owners, families with teenagers, sightseeing, age 55+, romantic getaway, girls getaway.
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Sep 4 - Dec 1
2 night min stay
|My Standard Rate
2 night min stay
- Taxes Not included
This owner accepts HomeAway payments.
Always use this free service to protect your payments up to $10,000 against fraud while keeping your financial information private. With HomeAway Payments, your credit card information is not seen by the owner or manager. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Call the owner to confirm booking request.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Year Purchased: 1981
About the owner: My husband and I purchased this property in 1980. We are in a community called Governors Run that is rich in history. Where our pier exists, it was formerly one of the oldest wharfs in Southern Maryland. At the turn of the century, it was a resort for Washingtonians. A group of us purchased the entire 15 home resort, each owning our individual homes. We have successfully turned into one of the more magical and beautiful spots on the Chesapeake. One day, I will write a book about this great adventure.
Why the Owner Chose Port Republic:
Beautiful sunrises and panoramic bay views make this three-bedroom/two-bath (sleeps eight) beach house spectacular. It's located on Maryland's western shore, just 45 minutes from Washington, DC. The area is rich in colonial history, as well as in fossils from the Miocene era. Enjoy miles of sandy shoreline, a 450-foot private pier, two-mile nature trail through deep woods, open recreational field, playground, and plenty of fabulous seafood restaurants. This is a magical place. I'm not sure there are words to describe the charm of our warm and inviting home on the bay. The views from every room are simply breathtaking! You'll truly feel like you are on a ship overlooking a vast body of water. The view is constantly changing -- either due to weather, or by the large variety of boats and birds. The house itself has 'yesteryear' charm combined with today's modern conveniences. It has a wrap-around porch that now includes the kitchen where your views are simply magnificent.
- Primary: +1 703-623-0463
Our Magical Home on the Bay, lots of windows, magnificent views from very room
Chesapeake Rainbows are such a treat
Full moon over the bay, it lights up the sky
Kitchen with granite countertops. New stove, dishwasher and refrigerator.
View from the dinning area. The two lounging chairs calls to you, so relaxing
Spacious living room off porch, very comfortable furniture
Spacious upstairs family rm, opens into a bedroom with sleep sofa & trundle bed
Master BR, Morning sun rises with the brilliant colored sky is breathtaking
View from mater bath shower
36' Rock caught off our pier
Our garden and walkway to the beach
Expansive beach with a fire pit & large charcoal bar-be-que, pier. Walk miles!
View from our deck
Entrance Hall, you will see the bay the moment you walk in
Sitting area off the kitchen, very cozy and you will love watching the birds
Dining area with magnificent view of bay and the stone fireplace in living room
Trundle bed which opens to two twins in upstairs great room
Upstairs great room, sofa opens to queen size bed
Master Bath- 8 foot picture window of the bay
You will love your pier
Solomons Island where you will find lots of fun restaurants along the waterfront
3 Bedroom / 2 Bathroom
Get an instant quote
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.