Ledgeview: Comfortable Home in Woods Near Ocean, Lakes, and Mountains, Acadia
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:Contact owner
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Long Pond house description
Secluded, open-plan, large, comfortable log home, with warm wood-beamed and cathedral ceilings, full-length deck, 3 bedrooms with double beds and one queen-size bed, open loft with reading nook, upstairs and downstairs baths and bedrooms, fully equipped kitchen, dishwasher, washer-dryer, WiFi, DVD, DirectTV, futon sofas sleep extras, Vose upright piano. Indoor and outdoor dining with gas grill, charcoal grill. Private wooded lot with ample parking and room for boat trailers. Centrally located on Mt Desert Island with Acadia National Park’s scenic views, swimming, hiking, boating, biking, kayaking. Central to picturesque Somesville, Bar Harbor with its shopping and night life, Southwest Harbor, Northeast Harbor with their libraries, museums, churches, groceries, and shopping. Fresh and saltwater boat launches and rentals nearby. 2 miles from ADK camp.
Hiking: Favorite hikes include
1) Beach Mountain, the nearest mountain to Ledgeview, with great views, some scrambling up ledge, but enjoyed by even 3 or 4 year olds. Moderate difficulty
2) The South Bubble, about a 25-minute climb up stairsteps built into the mountainside with great views of Jordan Pond and out to sea.
3) Gorge trail up Mt. Cadillac
4) Walk to Jordan Pond along carriage road then have popovers and tea
Swimming & paddling: Our favorite swimming areas are:
1) Long Pond, about 1 1/2 miles from Ledgeview, where there is a roped-off swimming area with float, near the dock and ramp where rental canoes and kayaks can be put in from the rental place across the road from the swimming area. Wildlife includes ducks, loons, and eagles nesting in the next bay around the point. Porta potty but no changing booths
2) Echo Lake, including the beach area at the end toward SW Harbor, with lifeguards, toilets, changing rooms, foot rinser, ramp for wheelchairs; for adults or older children who are good swimmers, the bluffs are a favorite spot because children like to jump or dive into the water from the rocky shore. About 3 miles. There is a Park public toilet at the edge of the parking area (for Acadia Mountain)
3) Sand Beach, a must, but suitable for wading only without a wet suit, except on hot August days. Requires an Acadia Park pass to reach the beach, unless you find the back roads to a nearby parking area.
Peaceful pursuits: Garden enthusiasts will like
1) the Azalea Garden in Northeast Harbor, modeled after Japanese gardens, beautiful in any season even when the azaleas and rhododendrons are past.
2) Thuya Garden, Northeast harbor, with wooden gates carved by Charles Savage.
Check with the Park information center for dates and times then the Rockefeller garden is open, near Seal Harbor.
There are often paying garden tours on a Saturday afternoon, with visits to a number of homes.
Concerts. There is a lot of music available in the summer months, including a jazz festival, a chorale (usually early August at the Episcopal Church in Bar Harbor), and delightful (and free) band concerts in the park in Bar Harbor, Monday and Thursday at peak season.
- 1800 sq. ft.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Children Welcome
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Non Smoking Only
- Suitable For Elderly Or Infirm
- Pets Not Allowed
- Wheelchair Inaccessible
Bedrooms: 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedrooms have large closets with double louvered sliding doors and chest of drawers. Three large windows look out onto deck and woods. Extra cots or single mattresses are available. One upstairs bedroom has queen size bed. Extra queen size mattress available with advance notice. Downstairs/ground floor bedroom located next to main bathroom. Crib available, but would need to be assembled....moreless
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms
- Downstairs bath has two stalls and a separate shower/tub enclosure.
- Great combination of outdoor sports - favorites are hiking, swimming, boating, deep sea fishing, whale watching - and access to shopping and night life. Comfortable and quiet retreat in the woods with views of ledge, moss, and trees for relaxation. Upright piano. When using grill on deck, keep a safe distance from railing and house (1 foot) Small children friendly: baby gates at top and bottom of stairs and at each end of the deck. Booster seat and high chair available for guests with small children. Crib is available, though not set up. High chair in closet by kitchen table....moreless
- Satellite / Cable
- DVD Player
- Books For Kids
- Games For Kids
- Books For Adults
- Away From It All
- Live Theater
- Recreation Center
- Water Parks
- Autumn Foliage
- Scenic Drives
- Whale Watching
- Sight Seeing
- Bird Watching
- Horseback Riding
local services and businesses
- Fitness Center
- Medical Services
- Near The Ocean
sports and adventure activities
- Freshwater Fishing
- Mountain Climbing
- Mountain Biking
- Pier Fishing
- Deepsea Fishing
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Ice Skating
- Scuba Diving Or Snorkeling
- Fly Fishing
- Water Skiing
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- Alarm Clock
- Washing Machine
- Laundry Soap
- Clothes Dryer
- Wireless Internet
- Linens Provided
- Local Restaurant Guide
- Local Maps
- Towels Provided
- Toilet Paper
- Iron & Board
- Parking Off Street
- Basic Soaps
- Local Activities Guide
- Paper Towels
- Pantry Items
- Coffee Maker
- Cooking Utensils
- 4 Ring Stove
- Lobster Pot
- Wood Deck
- Outdoor Grill Gas
ReviewsWrite a review
It's a jewel
It's a jewel
We stayed at Ledgeview for a week with 2 small kids in late August of 2010. Looking for a place to get away from the bustle of large city, this turned out to be just an ideal place for us. We loved the location (sunset on Cadillac Mountain, walks around Bar Harbor and sea-side treks were our favorites), the food and the place itself. The house has this great rustic charm, and if not for the kids, we would have stayed at the patio the whole time. Lora and Dick were most pleasant and went out of their way to help us. Definitely planning to come back! Alan & Elena
- Guest Alan A. (Brookline, Massachusetts)
- Date of stay 08/23/10
- Review Submitted 07/02/11
Recommended for: Sightseeing, girls getaway, families with young children, romantic getaway, age 55+, families with teenagers.
Please inquire for rate information.Monthly rate for extended 'winter' rentals $725/month Paypal accepted
Note: Until confirmed, rates are subject to change without notice.
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Sorry this information is not available. Please contact the owner for more information.
- Nearest Airport: Bar Harbor at 7 Miles
- Nearest Ferry: Bluenose 'Cat' Ferry to Nova Scotia at 8 Miles
- Nearest Train: Portland at 250 Miles
- Nearest Motorway: Interstate 95 at 45 Miles
- Nearest Beach: Long Pond or Echo Lake at 1.5 Miles
- Nearest Barpub: Bar Harbor at 7 Miles
- Nearest Ski: Cross country ski on Park carriage roads at 5 Miles
- Nearest Golf: Southwest Harbor at 4 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: SW Harbor or Bar Harbor at 5 Miles
- Primary: +001 207 244-9946 8:00 - 22:00
- Secondary: +001 315 212-9789 8:00 - 22:00
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Ledgeview from deck side overlooking ledge and woods
Deck --east end, tables & lobster! Gas grill (charcoal also available)
Kitchen and dining table
Bedroom 2 with cathedral ceiling -SW corner, big closet
Ground floor bedroom and computer table
Bedroom 3 with cathedral ceiling - view to SE. big closet
Downstairs bath, stalls, sinks, from shower side
Long Pond swim area & dock, next to boat launch.
Ledgeview deck comfortable seating areas with view of woods
Living room with raftered ceiling, from atrium (radiant floor heat)
Light and open dining & living area, beamed ceiling
Deck - quiet conversation or contemplation, cup of coffee, glass of ...
Ground floor bedroom with view of deck
Loft with balcony & reading nook