Charming, Cozy, Classic Mountain Cabin (Mountain Lake Views)
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:N/A
- Pets allowed:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Come home to the old-time mountain cabin of your dreams -- a rustic, 1950s-era Grand Lake cabin rental with all the comforts of modern life, just minutes from Rocky Mountain National Park! This little slice of heaven offers stellar views of Park peaks and Shadow Mountain Lake from the large great room picture window and the huge wrap-around deck (which more than suffice for the purposeful lack of TV). Every day from this Grand Lake cabin vacation rental you'll see elk, moose, foxes, and more wildlife right out the front door! A fine and growing aspen grove greets you in the front yard. Inside and out, it's clean, peaceful, romantic, cozy and inviting -- it's all that and more!
This cute-as-all-get-out Grand Lake cabin rental has pinewood interior with an 11-foot-tall pitched ceiling with open beams, wood-burning stove and natural stone fireplace. It's truly a classic cabin with warm wood ambiance -- you'll love playing board games and reading or flat lazing away the day by the fire inside, but the outdoors are the finest playground in the Rockies. Master bedroom with queen bed (sleeps 2). In main room is the Murphy bed (sleeps 2), single bed, and short couch for naps or a child. No smoking indoors please. Nice campfire pit. Get in here! A wonderful time awaits you when you rent this Grand Lake cabin.
Guests have remarked that this humble yet sweet mountain cabin is the best vacation value west of the Mississippi, and certainly this side of the Great Divide. You'll cherish our authentic mountain retreat when you rent this Grand Lake cabin. Check out the reviews below. Some of our favorite comments from the guest registry:
“Thanks for making an affordable vacation in the Rockies possible.”
“Wow, what a beautiful cabin! Cooked in both nights, could hardly leave the peace and quietness of this wonderful cabin.”
“We felt at home as soon as we walked in the front door!”
“Doggies love it here.”
“You have a wonderful cabin -- the best we've found so far: comfortable (especially the bed) and warm and cabin-y!”
“We loved waking up to that view!”
“What a wonderful quiet mountain retreat! We thoroughly enjoyed being here -- the sky chair (we had to take turns!), your great assortment of board games, no TV or clock (hurray! thank you!), your clean and cozy cabin and fun fire pit.”
“We'll never forget the incredible wildlife, including the huge bull moose we saw while out for a walk and the red fox right outside the back door!”
The happy cabin lies just about two miles from the quaint Western town of Grand Lake - a wonderful town on the largest natural lake in Colorado that's great for couples and families. Walk (in winter, cross-country ski) out the cabin door to the lake or to the North Fork of the Colorado River. The dirt roads all around the cabin are great for dog walks, sweet views of the mountains and lakes and scattering of cabins and second homes.
In winter, Grand Lake is the self-proclaimed Snowmobile Capital of Colorado. Cross-country ski or snowshoe in the Park, or the Grand Lake nordic track (doubles as golf course in summer), drive 20 minutes to Sol Vista Ski Area, 25 minutes to Nordic ski areas, or 35 minutes to Winter Park and Mary Jane world-class downhill ski areas.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Children Welcome:
- Pets Considered
- Non Smoking Only
- 1 Bedrooms, Sleeps 5, Beds for 3-5
- Bedroom 1
- Convertible bed(s)
- Queen size Beds (1), Twin or Single Beds (1), Murphy Beds (1)
- 1.0 Bathrooms
- Bathroom 1
Kitchen & Dining
- Wood Stove:
- Parking For RV/Boat/Trailer
- CD Player
- Deck / Patio
- Outdoor Grill
Location & View
- Lake View
- Mountain View
- Live Theater
- Water Skiing
- Jet Skiing
- Mountain Biking
- Cross Country Skiing
- Wildlife Viewing
- Sight Seeing
- Horseback Riding
- Miniature Golf
ReviewsWrite a review
Guest comment entered by owner
* We found this charming getaway on vrbo and couldn’t have been happier with our choice. The location is perfect – just between Grand Lake and Granby, across from Shadow Mountain Lake. The cabin is a perfect size for a couple and happy dog, too. The kitchen is well-equipped and make sure you check out the trail maps and the Grand County hiking book. Our first morning we opened the blinds to find a mama moose and her two mooselings grazing down the street! Oh, and the wood-burning stove is fantastic! DS, Denver* We are so glad we found your place on VRBO. It couldn’t have been a better choice than if we searched for a spot for months ahead. The views are great and the accommodations are very comfortable. HW, Conn.* Thanks for making an affordable vacation in the Rockies possible. Your cabin is very nice and cozy. We especially like the wood stove, pine interior and mountain ambiance. AM, Missouri* We have thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the cozy cabin. The sun glistened off the lake as we ate on the porch. That evening we sat around a cozy fire outside. We had the pleasure of seeing a moose slowly mosey across the front yard as we were eating breakfast. HD, Ill.* We were in search of a quiet weekend get-away and this cabin was perfect. MC, Colo* Wow, what a beautiful cabin! Cooked in both nights, could hardly leave the peace and quietness of this wonderful cabin. Really nice fireplace and comfortable living. AK, Colo* We felt at home as soon as we walked in the front door! We had a great time hiking, showshoeing, soaking in the hot springs and exploring the area. GW, Colo* Had a big bull moose about 5 feet from the fire pit. Walked to the marina and rented a pontoon boat. Took a beautiful hike to the falls. CK, Colo* No moose, but saw a coyote stroll by. Doggies love it here. NI, Colo* We’ve had a great time enjoying the cabin, especially the fire pit at night. The dogs enjoyed it as well. ML, Colo* And a happy Thanksgiving it was – snow, temps in the teens, a full moon and lovers. Can anyone ask for more? Oh yeah, two dogs and a cozy cabin with a big stone fireplace! CR, Colo* We enjoyed being at your cabin – it was cozy even at 8-below outside! FF, Texas* Awesome cabin! Saw elk and foxes here. Had a blast at night playing cards and games. Molly loved the doggy door. CF, Colo* It was so nice to be able to come back to the cabin after a day hiking, horseback riding, whitewater rafting or touring downtown. T
- Guest N/A
- Date of stay 05/26/09
- Review Submitted 05/26/09
Guest comment entered by owner
"We had a great time -- Cross-country skiing was excellent. Thought the no TV was going to be the end for me, but it turned out to be a blessing! Cabin was very nice and cozy." --RD, Texas "Saw a moose and never made it skiing -- too relaxed!" TZ, Colorado "Cozy cabin! Perfect for our get-together!" BM, Colorado "Caught lots of fish -- saw elk, deer and some foxes. Had a wonderful fire!" ML, Colorado "Saw lots of elk and moose, deer and foxes. A highlight was the mama, papa and young moose brousing by the car in your front yard!" MM, Georgia "Your cabin is a great place to stay and just enjoy the peace and quiet." WS, Colorado "We saw a fox, elk (many), a pack of coyotes (about 8 to 10), a bull and cow moose. Thank you for allowing us the adventure!" SS, Colorado "We had a lovely, long weekend at this little slice of heaven. The dinner at Pancho & Lefty's was great!" RN, Colorado "Best vacation ever. Learned to trout fish at Columbine Bay ... found my soul there ... and limited out! Moose traveling through the front yard was awesome!" TW, Louisiana "You have a wonderful cabin -- the best we've found so far: comfortable (especially the bed) and warm and cabin-y!" TL, Colorado "We rested and read and enjoyed the quiet beauty." JP, Missouri "What a peaceful and restful week we had here at your sweet cabin. All the stress of the year seems gone." RB, Colorado "Enjoyed your cabin very much! Great family time." RB, Texas "We enjoyed the rustic environment." PE, Colorado
- Guest N/A
- Date of stay 09/21/06
- Review Submitted 09/21/06
Guest comment entered by owner
"We had an amazing 12-day vacation at your cabin. It is truly a beautiful and serene hide-away and very special." --E.R., Florida "We had a great get-a-way. The sky chair is a very popular spot and the deck is so enjoyable. A great time was had by all." J.P., Colorado "We had a wonderful four-day weekend that felt like two weeks. Grand Lake is like a big old summer camp. Plenty of loafing, napping and sky chairing in between. Thanks for sharing this beaitiful spot with us." L.E., Colorado "Your cabin had a beautiful view! Perfect location to access hiking, biking, swimming and just relaxing." --B.O., Florida "What a wonderful quiet mountain retreat! We thoroughly enjoyed being here -- the sky chair (we had to take turns!), your great assortment of board games, no TV or clock (hurray! thank you!), your clean and cozy cabin and fun fire pit. We'll never forget the incredible wildlife, including the huge bull moose we saw while out for a walk and the red fox right outside the back door! L.M., Minnesota "Thank you so much for making our first trip to Colorado a special memory. The cabin is very cozy and we loved waking up to that view!" P.K., Iowa "Saw elk and deer and saw moose today almost in your front yard. Cabin was perfect." K.M., New York "Thanks so much for sharing your cabin! We drank, we ate, we hiked, we biked, we were merry." J.R., Colorado
- Guest N/A
- Date of stay 01/09/04
- Review Submitted 01/09/04
$100/night (2-night minimum) ... $600/week because 7th night free! Memorial Day wknd - Oct 15, Dec 21 - Jan 2, $125/night, $750/week. 7th night free! Please see availability calendar. Generally check-in 2 or 3pm, check-out 10 or 11am. Add 5.7% tax. Add $30 one-time cleaning fee. Credit cards are not accepted. Sorry! Checks or money orders only. Cancellation policy: Deposit subject to forfeiture for last-minute cancellations.
Note: Until confirmed, rates are subject to change without notice.
Before paying contact the owner to confirm payment details.
Call the owner directly to confirm reservation details and pay with an approved method (credit card, check, or bank transfer), to protect your payment up to $1,000.
Year Purchased: 1999
About the owner: Born in Colorado, raised back east, moved back to ski bum it after college, moved to the west coast, third time was the charm, this time with wife (to be) in tow. While I have been the typical Colorado guy who climbs mountains, Sweetie (the wife) always made me stop along the trail to smell the flowers and not overlook the way the sun sparkles through the aspen leaves. Our two young daughters go one better, stopping the both of us to point out worms and bugs along the trail.
Why the Owner Chose Grand Lake:
Upon getting married in 1997, my wife and I searched the mountains of Colorado far and wide for our little slice of heaven. Our agreement (second of the summer!) was that the place had to 'sing' to the both of us. We figured we'd find a few acres and, someday, build an A-frame on it. In the third summer of our search, my wife overheard an office-mate talk about their Grand Lake cabin they were looking to sell. We headed up to look at it. I'll never forget when we walked up the steps and opened the front door to look inside. At the same second, we both said, 'Wow!' It was just what we were looking for -- charming, rustic, cozy, classic old-time mountain cabin. Sold! Total bonus that the town of Grand Lake is just as sweet a mountain town as you can ask for. Double-bonus that it's utterly kid-friendly, which works for our two girls just fine. Triple-bonus that the views from the cabin are into Rocky Mountain National Park.
The Unique Benefits at this Cabin:
In the time BC (Before Children) we would spend most weekends up at the cabin, and more often than not doing what might be described as exactly nothing. In winter months we'd sit in rocking chairs, feeding the wood stove, reading newspapers, magazines and books, watching the clouds float by above the lake and over the mountains of the park. We like to keep a look out the window or from the deck for elk and moose and foxes that live in the area -- never fails to excite. We like to play board games, from Monopoly and Battleship to Twister and backgammon, and take walks right out the door on the dirt roads over to the North Fork of the Colorado River or just around the area. Good fun mountain biking, too. Our dogs ('the boys') love the area, probably as much as we do -- and, with wild fragrances all around, maybe more!
- Primary: (303) 447-1840
- Secondary: (303) 319-9120 (Colorado, USA)
Links to more information:
The Happy Cabin, nicely nestled in the wild woods
Wood-burning stove, Murphy bed hidden behind the pine wall, and picture window
Moose Central: a local yokel welcomes visitors
Stone fireplace invites you to stay inside and snuggle
Lovely views offer glimpses of Shadow Mountain Lake and the park peaks
There have been visitors to this page since
the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2003.
Date last modified - Monday, March 04, 2013