Provence Luxury, Stunning Views of Luberon - Heaven for Two
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:5-7 nights
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Menerbes house description
A luxury village house at the very top of Menerbes - a haven high above the most beautiful part of Provence for honeymooners, artists, writers, food lovers, or just plain old romantics.
Even when you are in bed there are three different views to choose from - the Luberon mountain opposite, down the valley to the sunset, and over the rooftops of Menerbes.
Menerbes was the village that inspired Peter Mayle to write 'A Year in Provence' - it is one of the select group of hill-top villages in the Luberon National Park and officially one of the most beautiful villages in France. Being at its highest point means peace and solitude; while the little shops, cafes, restaurants and village life are a couple of minutes stroll down the hill.
More about the house: it is small but perfect. To make the most of the light and the glorious views I have taken out the upper storey and put the bedroom and bathroom on a mezzanine level.
I do not know how I was allowed to do it in such a carefully protected village, but the new windows that open onto the Luberon are extraordinarily generous. Eight feet high, and then there is the balcony beyond big enough for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and with unmatched views, suspended over the full glory of Provence. This is not to mention the sun terrace that opens out from the living room, giving you a bigger plot of Menerbes real estate to stretch out in, sunbathe, take in the view.
A word about furnishings - this is not your typical rental home. In fact it is a lot nicer than my real home. It is finished and furnished to a very high standard, with hand-made tiles and furniture, and a hand-made kitchen. There is also free WiFi internet for those who need it.
The kitchen has everything you need for civilized living - dishwasher, microwave, washing machine and dryer, and waste disposal (try finding these in Provence). And there is another village rarity - an off-street parking spot.
The bathroom has a walk-in shower and large showerhead, so it is not a typical French bathroom. The bed is a good-size double (English king size).
Menerbes is the heart of one of the enchanted corners of this world. Everything you read about in 'A Year in Provence' is here - the lavender-scented landscapes, daily markets overflowing with local produce that actually tastes of something, hill-top villages rising above the sea of vineyards and sunflowers, outstanding food and wine, and the sensational quality of light that has always brought painters and poets here.
In Provence, everything simply tastes, smells, and looks better than at home. And it is all right on your doorstep.
Here are some of the many things you can do using Menerbes as your base:
• Choose from an endless number of walks in the 120,000 ha Luberon Natural Park, starting from your doorstep.
• Go to the local markets and rediscover what food used to taste like.
• Long, lazy lunches (and dinners) outside.
• Lose the extra calories by cycling round the famous hilltop villages: Gordes, Bonnieux, Lacoste, Roussillon, Lourmarin, Oppede-le-vieux, etc.
• Antique and bric-a-brac hunting at Isle-sur-Sorgue – France’s antiques capital.
• Explore Fontaine de Vaucluse - the extraordinary source of the crystal-clear Sorgue river (or ride a canoe down it).
• Visit the Marquis de Sade's castle at neighbouring Lacoste
• Bump into Princess Caroline at chi-chi St Remy.
• Learn to paint sunflowers.
• Picnic in the cedar forests outside lovely Bonnieux.
• Drive to the top of Mont Ventoux (cycle if you're mad) and let the Alps and the Med take your breath away.
• Marseille, 1 hour away, is France's most exciting city, and home to the world's best bouillabaisse.
• Avignon, half an hour away, is a fascinating medieval city small enough to walk round in a day.
• Go wine-tasting at the local vineyards or venture just beyond Avignon for some great Rhone wines.
• Day trips to Monte Carlo, Cannes, the Camargue, Arles, Aix, Orange, Gorges du Verdon, Rhone wine trail, even Spain if you leave early.
This is a year-round destination - the Luberon in winter is as beautiful in its way as during the long summer that can stretch from May to October. As Peter Mayle discovered, in the off-season the Luberon is all yours - there will not be crowds, but there will be truffles and fabulous dinners. And in every month there are days when it is warm enough to eat outside in the Provencal sun. When it is cold, you will appreciate the under-floor heating, the mist hanging in the valley below, the odd wisp of smoke punctuating the scene.
The price of the rental includes everything: all utilities, local phone calls, satellite TV, towels, bed linen, after-stay clean.
Please note - this house is only suitable for a maximum of 2 people, and there are too many things for a small child to break.
Keywords: Village House
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Non Smoking Only
- Pets Not Allowed
Bedrooms: 1 Bedroom, Sleeps 2, Beds for 2
- Queen size Beds (1)
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom
- Shower, basin and WC
Kitchen & Dining
- Coffee Maker
- Cooking Utensils
- Living Room seats 3:
- Linens Provided:
- Parking Off Street:
- Clothes Dryer
- Covered Parking
- Washing Machine
- Towels Provided
- Iron & Board
- Hair Dryer
- Sun Terrace with shade, Breakfast Balcony
- Satellite / Cable
- DVD Player
- CD Player
- Video Library
- Wireless Internet
- Tourist Attractions
- Freshwater Fishing
- Mountain Biking
- Rock Climbing
- Medical Services
- Fitness Center
- Hot Air Ballooning
- Live Theater
- Horseback Riding
- Winery Tours
- Miniature Golf
- Scenic Drives
- Bird Watching
- Sight Seeing
- Wildlife Viewing
- Wine Tasting & Buying
ReviewsWrite a review
This property does not have any reviews yet.
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
|Jan - Feb
Jan 4 - Feb 28, 2014
5 night min stay
Mar 1 - Mar 28, 2014
7 night min stay
Mar 29 - May 2, 2014
7 night min stay
|May - September
May 3 - Oct 3, 2014
7 night min stay
Oct 4 - Oct 31, 2014
7 night min stay
|Nov - Dec
Nov 1 - Dec 19, 2014
5 night min stay
|Xmas, New Year
Dec 20 - Jan 2, 2015
7 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
Included in the rental rates: bedlinen, towels, utilities, central heating, satellite TV, WiFi internet, local calls, visitor tax and after-stay clean. For stays over a week there is a complimentary weekly clean and change of bedlinen and towels.
To secure a booking you would send a 25% deposit, with the balance payable up to 8 weeks before your stay. Rental periods run from Saturday 4pm to Saturday 10am.
- Taxes Not included
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
- Nearest Airport: Marseille at 40 Miles
- Nearest Train: Avignon TGV at 25 Miles
- Nearest Motorway: Cavaillon at 10 Miles
- Nearest Beach: Marseille at 50 Miles
- Nearest Barpub: Menerbes at 200 Metres
- Nearest Golf: Saumane at 10 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: Menerbes at 200 Metres
Year Purchased: 1997
About the owner: We are mainly British, we live and work in Oppede, which is 10 minutes from Menerbes where the house is situated.
Why the Owner Chose Menerbes:
It was a complete ruin with a fantastic view and one tiny window. We gutted it, remodelled, made big windows and a little terrace and balcony. Now it is a wonderful spot, still with that amazing view, in one of Provence's best villages.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
The view; the fact of being in a quiet location but only 2 minutes' walk to the village centre; the little terrace and off-street parking spot; sitting on the terrace watching the sun set down the valley.
Links to more information:
- CLICK HERE - Owner's Website - More Info & Photos!
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Looking out at the Luberon in the middle of winter
The sun terrace above the Luberon valley
Coming in to the living area from the sun terrace
The balcony and the Luberon beyond
This is the view from house, balcony and sun terrace
Menerbes, with the house circled in red
There have been visitors to this page since
the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2003.
Date last modified - Wednesday, October 02, 2013