Redwoods on the River!
You sent a message to this owner.
When you're ready to book, here are some tips to keep in mind.
Paying with a credit card on VRBO protects your payment for up to $10,000 against listing fraud. We recommend completing your booking on VRBO. Learn more
- Minimum stay:2 nights
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:Yes
Welcome to our little paradise in the woods....Please, come and stay awhile. Enter the front gate and leave the world behind. You will be greeted by our redwood sentries and the sound of trickling water. With an instant calm, you’ll know it’s time to relax and enjoy!
The house is nestled among the trees along the upper bank of the Eel River. You can walk along your own private path to its shore through the wild wooded walkway that leads through the property. On the river, you can hunt for rocks and fossils, play with your kids or your dog, wade in the water or fish for salmon and steelhead.
The yard is like your own private park. There are magnificent redwoods, ferns, and rhododendrons among many other native and blooming plants. Rio Dell sits along a bird migration route so there are many birds to enjoy at various times of the year. There are seed and nut feeders for you to fill (we provide the food) so that you can sit and enjoy the birds and the squirrels. We have an inviting fire pit area for roasting marshmallows or simply enjoying a warm, outdoor fire. Break out that guitar for an evening of singing around the campfire.
Inside, you will find a comfortable living space that is quaintly decorated. Large windows in the living room and dining area afford a sweeping view of the yard and the river beyond. There is a 55” LED TV and a wireless Blu-Ray player. We provide a small library of regular DVDs (bring your own blu-rays) plus hundreds of free, online Netflix movies. The living room easily seats 8 or 9. Our "shabby chic" queen sofa-bed is very comfy for sitting or sleeping (it has no “bar in the back”). Our gas wood stove, with its burning logs, really cozies up the place without the fuss or mess of a real wood fire.
Bring your iPod and plug it in to our Bose docking station to enjoy your favorite tunes. There is plenty to read as we keep our entire library of books in this house. We also keep an assortment of games for all ages. Bring your laptop and either plug in or connect via wi-fi for your surfing pleasure.
The kitchen is fully equipped and has a few extras including filtered drinking water, a latte machine, a coffee bean grinder, a bread machine, a toaster oven, a 5 qt crock pot and a gas grill outside. The dining table seats 4 and there is a foldaway table that seats an additional 4 There are also 4 TV trays for the living room.
The Library room sleeps 2. It has a daybed with a trundle. The Bunk room sleeps 3. It has a bunk bed with a trundle plus a small TV with a built-in DVD player. The Big Bear room is the master bedroom and it has a queen size "Sleep Number" bed – we get our best nights sleep on this mattress. You can adjust the firmness separately on both sides to suit your comfort. This room has a private bathroom. We have provided high quality bedding in every room so that you'll sleep well!
If you chose to step outside the sanctuary of our “Redwoods on the River” home, you will find a wonderful world of things to do!
There is a small market nearby for those emergency “geez, I forgot” moments. Also, just 5 miles north on Hwy 101, the town of Fortuna has most everything you need. This includes 2 major grocery stores, fast food and full service restaurants, a small movie theatre and even a Starbucks! If you want more choices as well as a mall, Eureka is located just 25 miles north.
Things to do:
• Scout for Fossils all along the Eel River and especially near the Scotia Bluffs. You can walk to the bluffs from the house. The area is well renowned for its fossils.
• Visit the fabulous Chapman’s Gem and Mineral Shop -3 miles North on Hwy 101. It has a great rock and mineral museum you’re sure to enjoy.
• Go Antique shopping in Fortuna, Ferndale or Eureka.
• Step into the 18th century with a visit to the Victorian Village of Ferndale! You can shop, eat, peruse art galleries or take a stroll to marvel at the beautifully preserved Victorian architecture -just 15 miles away.
• Tour the Loleta Creamery where they manufacture organic cheese. The tour is interesting, educational and delicious!- 13 miles north on Hwy 101.
• Drive the scenic Lost Coast which is the most undeveloped wilderness on the CA coast. There are tide pools at the ocean so be sure to time your trip for low tide. The drive will take the better part of a day so gas up and pack your lunch. There are also hiking trails and campsites for a more extended adventure.
• Drive the 35 mile scenic road though the Avenue of the Giants which is 7 miles south of Rio Dell off Hwy 101. Whether you hike, bike or drive, you will encounter some of the oldest and tallest trees in the world. This forest has never been logged! Humboldt Redwoods State Park is entwined with the Avenue so you can go to the Visitor's Center to learn about the diverse coastal redwood ecosystems and pick up a trail map.
• Hike a dog friendly trail in the redwoods or on the beach– we have a list of dog friendly places at the house.
• Go bird watching at the Humboldt County National Wildlife Refuge. Don’t forget your binoculars and camera! This is a natural bird migration route and many birds nest here at the southern tip of Humboldt Bay. 16 miles north off Hwy 101.
• Walk on a quiet beach – 30 minutes drive.
• Find a swimming hole and jump in.(we have a list of local swimming holes at the house)
• Find a fishing hole on the river or in the surf and cast your line. Or join a guided ocean or river fishing trip. We have World Class fishing here on the North Coast!
• Bring a canoe or kayak and paddle the river, the bay or the ocean.
• Golf at the Redwood Empire Golf Course in Fortuna
• Enjoy some Vegas style action at the Bear River Casino near Loleta! – 13 miles north off Hwy 101
By all means, whatever you do, DON’T FORGET YOUR CAMERA!
Keywords: House, Home, River, Trees, Redwoods, Fishing, Hiking, Biking
Build your best vacation ever
From over 1 million rentals worldwide
Escape the confines of a hotel
Enjoy the freedom of a vacation rental
Book with confidence
Relax and enjoy your stay
From online to on vacation
- 1200 sq. ft.
- Vacation Rental
- Minimum Age Limit For Renters:
- Children Welcome
- Limited Accessibility
- Non Smoking Only
Bedrooms: 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 9, Beds for 7-9
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms
- Books For Kids
- DVD Player
- Away From It All
- Live Theater
Local Services & Businesses
- Medical Services
- Bird Watching
- Gambling Casinos
- Miniature Golf
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
- Whale Watching
- Wildlife Viewing
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Deepsea Fishing
- Fly Fishing
- Freshwater Fishing
- Golf Privileges Optional
- Mountain Biking
- Pier Fishing
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Surf Fishing
- Water Tubing
- Dining Area
- Activities Guide
- Alarm Clock
- Basic Soaps
- Broadband Access
- Ceiling Fans
- Clothes Dryer
- Filtered Water
- Free Long Distance
- Gas Fireplace:
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided:
- Local Activities Guide
- Local Maps
- Paper Towels
- 4 Ring Stove
- Coffee Grinder
- Coffee Maker
- Cooking Utensils
- Ice Maker
- Pantry Items
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Nov 1 - Mar 31
2 night min stay
Apr 1 - May 31
2 night min stay
Sep 1 - Oct 31
2 night min stay
My Standard Rate
2 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
Fees and Rental Conditions:
- Pet Fee $5 + tax
- Property Damage Protection $59
- Cleaning Fee $85
- Tax Rate 8%
Policy available by contacting owner when booking.
Pay with Confidence
Paying through this free service protects your payment up to $10,000 against listing fraud. If you are not paying through HomeAway Payments always call the owner at the number listed on our website and never use instant money transfer services such as Western Union and MoneyGram.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Search for fossils along the banks of the Eel River, hike or bike among the giant redwoods, visit historical Ferndale, walk on the beach, take a scenic drive, visit the quaint shops of the old downtown area of Eureka.
Year Purchased: 2000
About the owner: Hi, We're Doug and Carol. This little house in the redwoods will be our retirement home one day! We love to come here by ourselves and with our family. We must know every curve in the road between here and Santa Rosa by now! We've invested a great deal of hard work into this house over the years and we're proud to share it with you. We got married here in 2006 and we've spent many holidays with our family in this house. Our two beagles, Rocky and Bailey, have the time of their lives in Rio Dell. The backyard is big enough for them to run, run, run and it's made just right for sniffing!
Why the Owner Chose Rio Dell:
We love the beautiful big redwood trees and the river. We also love the proximity to the ocean here in the "banana belt" of Humboldt County. The ocean is close enough for a short drive but far enough for more sunny weather. The Redwood Forest with it's coastal beaches is an inspiring part of the world.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
Privacy – we love the feel of privacy without real remoteness. Although we’re in town with city water and neighbors on both sides, there is nothing behind us but the river and a mountain. You can see the river through the trees and hear it rushing down below! We also love the big trees and the ferns that make the yard feel like a park. It’s a wonderful place to hang out with the dogs and the grandkids!
- Primary: (707) 889-3885 (California, USA) You can text this number
- Secondary: (707) 889-4118 (California, USA)
Links to more information:
Please Come In.....
Your Home Away From Home!
Imagine the Fire when the Sun Goes Down!
The River View After a Big Spring Rain!
A Table with a View....Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner.
Relax by the Fire and Enjoy a Movie.
Bunk Room - The Kids Will Go Straight to Sleep After a Day in the Great Outdoors
...and leave the world behind.
Like Your Own Private Park!
The River View in May.
Cook Up Something Special!
Find a Comfy Spot and Sit Awhile!
Library Room - A Restful Nights Sleep for Two.
Big Bear Room - You'll Sleep Like a Baby in This Bed!
This listing was first published here in 2010.
Date last modified - Saturday, November 28, 2015
- Property typeHouse
Get an instant quote
- Response time Within an hour
- Response rate 100%
- Calendar last updated 11/28/2015
When you're ready to book, here are some tips to keep in mind.
Paying with a credit card on VRBO protects your payment for up to $10,000 against listing fraud. We recommend completing your booking on VRBO.Learn more
(707) 889-3885 (California, USA)
You can text this number
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.