The Village of La Jolla the Sea Dahlia - Circa 1910 -
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:1 night
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Village of La Jolla house description
Welcome to The Sea Dahlia, circa 1910, our summer home in the heart of old La Jolla and the last of a dying breed. We rarely rent our home - perhaps once a year, so this is a wonderful opportunity to live in the Village of old village of La Jolla. We have been off the market for almost a year and only got back into it recently. Rebuilt 2007 our three thousand square foot, 4bedroom, 2 1/2-bath two story cottage has soaring ten foot ceilings in all the rooms. Architecturally emulating the ambience of an earlier, quieter era of village life, it's a local landmark and simply invites neighborly chatting for most people who walk by. Spend a half hour on our patio and you will see what we mean. Our very existence is somewhat of a surprise to passersby and the 'micro climate' under our Magnolia used to be a stopping point for Depak Chopra nature walks. The center used to be across the street. A beautiful old fountain on the corner creates a certain indefinable but comfortable ambience of, 'je ne sais quoi…' On a corner lot, The Sea Dahlia feels open, sunny and uncrowded. Privacy is assured because the first floor is well above the sidewalk. Brand new dual pane Anderson windows with divided lights insure our home is quiet. Downstairs has six-inch wide solid oak flooring in the living/dining area. A brand new lighted four hundred square foot patio, with gas grill is sure to be a place where the family migrates in the evening.
A block from La Jolla Tennis Club and the La Jolla Recreation Center, your children, and you will not want to be watching movies, DVD's and playing videos games - though all are available at no extra cost. If you stay seven or more nights you will have membership rights at La Jolla tennis club and we shall provide enough rackets for your entire party.
Park your car. There is simply no reason to drive once you arrive. We are a ten minute walk from five beaches, coastal hikes along the shore or along the cliffs afford stunning views. Bikes paths abound if you are a bit more adventurous. We have two children's and two adult bikes.
You can dine at a different restaurant every day. The best Sushi of La Jolla is a one minute walk from our home. There are great, free concerts on Sundays at the La Jolla Cove....and a gourmet grocery store is just one block away. Our home is in the best location for being in the village of La Jolla.
Our garden has all kinds of edibles. But you are welcome to whatever produce is ripe when you are here; from spinach to nectarines; apples and oranges.
And we shall leave all our swim gear and bikes and whatever else for your use. Our home has new berber carpet, so no food or drink in the upstairs.
Keywords: craftsman turn of the century; elevated above the street. Beautiful garden, fruit trees, fountain, magnolia. Quiet village street. La Jolla Village, Village of La Jolla, La Jolla.
- 2500 sq. ft.
- 2 story
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Children Welcome:
- Non Smoking Only
- Pets Not Allowed
Bedrooms: 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8, Beds for 8
- King size beds (1) large master bedroom with a Cal King bed, Queen size Beds (1) Large guest room. Light and airy. Sout and west facing windows. Great for morning sun., Twin or Single Beds (2) Great for young people. South facing windows. Great morning sun, Baby Cribs (1) We can provide a crib. But please give us notice as we do not keep a crib on site., Sleep Sofa or Futons (1) This is a queen size bed. It is new and comfortable....moreless
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms, 1 Half Bathroom
Kitchen & Dining
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Pantry Items:
- Dining Area Seats:
- Catering Available
- Cooking Utensils
- Coffee Maker
- Ice Maker
- Parking Off Street:
- Covered Parking:
- Gas Fireplace
- Clothes Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Linens Provided
- Towels Provided
- CD Player
- Satellite / Cable
- Video Library
- DVD Player
- Music Library
- Wireless Internet
- Broadband Access
Pool & Spa
- Communal Pool:
Deck / Patio:
The patio is large, with new furniture. And it is in the front yard. It is a nice place to relax and watch the world go by. Passersby are very friendly and curious about our home and the garden....moreless
- Lawn / Garden:
- Outdoor Grill
Location & View
- Car Not Necessary
- Water Skiing
- Medical Services
- Massage Therapist
- Fitness Center
- Basketball Court
- Deepsea Fishing
- Scuba Diving Or Snorkeling
- Jet Skiing
- Hot Air Ballooning
- Theme Parks
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Live Theater
- Recreation Center
- Bird Watching
- Wildlife Viewing
- Sight Seeing
- tennis, basketball, ping pong, foosball, and even a weight room are one block away at the recreation center. Walk to the beach, museums, the village for shopping, fresh seafood, coffee shops. free concerts at La Jolla Cove in the summer. La Jolla Cove is one of the nations top snorkeling destinations where you will also see many brown pelicans, cormorants, seals and sea lions. ...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
Sea Dahlia is a class act!
Sea Dahlia is a class act!
Our family of 5 adults and one baby stayed at Sea Dahlia over the Christmas holiday and had a wonderful time. The house is so much more than the pictures of it on VRBO capture. The owners were extremely thoughtful, helpful and accommodating. Something we never expected and loved was that the house was beautifully decorated for the holidays and included a live Christmas tree! The owners of Sea Dahlia thought of everything and I can honestly say everything we needed was at our finger tips. There is a great front porch to sit and enjoy your morning coffee, a beautiful patio with a grill, comfortable seating & a gas heater for a late night meal. We even found some ripe tomatoes in the garden for our salad. The kitchen is well stocked with everything you need to prepare and serve all your meals. The house was spotless and everything in it was high quality. The ocean, restaurants, grocery stores and shopping are all within walking distance and we didn't need a car during our stay. We all agreed that Sea Dahlia is where we'll stay next time we visit La Jolla. I miss our morning walks to the ocean where we watched the surfers. We highly recommend Sea Dahlia. We've rented various homes through VRBO and Sea Dahlia is by far the best we've rented. ~Family from Minneapolis, MN
- Guest Family (Minneapolis, Minnesota)
- Date of stay 12/22/11
- Review Submitted 01/11/12
Recommended for: Sightseeing, tourists without a car, girls getaway, families with young children, adventure seekers, romantic getaway, age 55+, families with teenagers.
Guest comment entered by owner
Thank you for sharing your lovely home with us. All we have to ask is, when will it be available next summer?
- Guest michelle
- Date of stay 08/03/10
- Review Submitted 10/15/10
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
|My Standard Rate
1 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
Please do not try to negotiate this rate as it is a very very good rate. We want you to have a great time. If you would like something less expensive we understand. We only have this one home to rent.
Cash or check - due upon booking. If you have to cancel there is no refund unless we can rebook and then we will return your payment. The $1500 damage deposit will be returned.
- Taxes Not included
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
- Nearest Airport: San Diego at 11 Miles
- Nearest Motorway: highway 5 at 5 Miles
- Nearest Golf: Torrey Pines at 6 Miles
Year Purchased: 1998
About the owner: We chose this particular location because even at a very young age the children could walk one block to the park, the village, and the beach by themselves. They can also go to lunch, and walk to camp independently, even at the age of 9. We hope that you enjoy our home as much as we do and that you might even want to come back one day. The patio is just enough above the street and that you can feel comfortable having a evening meal as the sun sets and the world walks by.
Why the Owner Chose Village of La Jolla:
We like to live close to where we have fun and relax. Our home is the best of both worlds, it is spacious but city close to everything a person could possibly want to do. We have a garden, a patio, and our downstairs is very comfortable. We are close restaurants, beaches, bike paths, museums, and parks.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
1. We are a spacious home in the village. All the bedrooms are comfortable, light, large and easy to sleep in. 2. We get to go to concerts at; The Athenaeum, the presbyterian church, the La Jolla Cove and the Neurosciences Institute. We get to walk to swimming and snorkeling every day in the summer. International destination spot - La Jolla Cove, of of the top snorkeling locations in the United States and a Marine Reserve, is a few blocks away. One block away is a recreation center / park which has a half dozen tennis courts, play areas for small children, and basketball. Since walking to several beaches is an option we don't have to put up with the trying to park near the beach in the summer. The temperature is almost always perfect so we can always get fresh air. Good restaurants, friendly neighborhood, nearby library, great coffee shops, a good farmers market on Sundays. Beautiful hikes along the cliff edge. Tell us what you like to do and we will set up some nice days for you. If you are lucky... ten foot waves. (They are rare) But lots of small little beaches. You can go to a new one every day. It's fun to sit on the patio, as people walk by all day and admire all the gardens, the fountain etc. In fact, many people walk down the street just to see the garden and at night our glass globes light up our great big magnolia tree. Outside, on warm nights, turn on the barbecue and have dinner on our outside patio as you watch the world go by! You immediately make friends because people stop all the time to compliment our home and tell how much they like the gardens....they often go out of their way on their walks to pass by our home.
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
The Sea Dahlia - though in the heart of the village is surprisingly private
Master Bedroom - cool ocean breezes
Third Bedroom with two twin beds. plenty of room for two children here.
Living room, fireplace, mantle, porch out the door.
View through the dining room to the front of the house music room.
Upstairs full bath
A unique 2500 SF turn of the century home in Old La Jolla Village
Our patio dining....
Guest Bedroom, second story, in the old magnolia tree.
Fourth Bedroom with pull-out bed.
Dining room from Living room
You can hear the fountain inside the house.
There have been visitors to this page since
the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2010.
Date last modified - Friday, November 29, 2013