New Construction Custom Built House, Nestled in Forest
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:Contact owner
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:Yes
Government Camp house description
It is important to note that during the winter months the Forest Service locks the gates and the only access to the house is via snow shoes, cross country skis or snowmobiles. The house is called Hank's Ranch or the Summit Prairie House and is the product of a dream that became a reality. It was built on a small (.41 acre) piece of property that the family owned for many years and was constructed in the memory of Read (Hank) Richardson, the second to the last owner. It is a one-of-a-kind dwelling, constructed by workers who cared about what they were doing and had a stake in seeing it done correctly. Everyone who worked on the project loved it and thoroughly enjoyed being on site during the three summers of construction.
Winter rental information. Once the snow flies the Forest
Service locks the gates and the only way in to the Ranch is by cross country skis, snowmobile or snowshoes. Family and friends came in the first New Years, towing my toddler grand daughter and had a fabulous time. Winter rates are $250 per night.
All the appliances are brand new as are the towels and most of the linens (some of the quilts are family hand-me-ons). The quilts in the bunkroom and upstairs bedroom were newly hand crafted by a friend as were the downstairs bookcases, made from 'footprint' lumber.
The main room of the downstairs features a TV/conversation area, open dinning area that flows into the kitchen/pantry. The focal point of the Great Room area is a massive stone fireplace, which has internal blower fans, making it as environmentally friends as a fireplace gets. A deck wraps around three quarters of the house, all accessible by wheel chair, and has a fire pit for toasting marshmallows. In time we'll add a hot tub once we learn how summer time renters treat the house and rental money pays for it. The family's goal is to have repeat renters, summer after summer, who grow to enjoy the place as if it was their own and take pride in treating it well.
The garage has been used by family and friends (who snow shoed in during winter) as a play room since it has a small wood heater in it. Singing and game playing occurred there without disturbing more 'adult' activity and the sleeping child in the main house. The kitchen is 'juvenile gourmet' and more kitchen toys will be added with time. For now one can serve a fine meal with matching utensils and dishes and eat at a large mango wood table covered by a real table cloth.
This is a house for friends and their families and making good memories, a place to enjoy the beauty of Oregon's woodland heritage. There are neighbors to be respected, however, so it is not to be considered a Party Hardy venue.
Keywords: Abutts onto Mt Hood National Forest, close to all the area's recreational sites, near Still Creek Campground, quiet and comfortable
- Vacation Rental
- Wheelchair Accessible
- Children Welcome
- Non Smoking Only
Bedrooms: 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 10, Beds for 10
- Queen size Beds (1), Twin or Single Beds (1), Baby Cribs (1)
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms
Kitchen & Dining
- Ice Maker
- Cooking Utensils
- Parking For RV/Boat/Trailer
- Parking Off Street
- Linens Provided
- Wood Fireplace
- Clothes Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Main floor is wheel chair accessible, house was built in an environmentally sustainable manner (recycled old growth timbers and lumber milled from trees that once grew on the footprint of the house), other recycled materials throughout, furnishings are a mixture of modern & new and old & funky, photographs on this listing were taken while house still under construction but nearly finished, for construction diary and philosphy behind the house visit: www.hanksranch.com, very quiet and very dark at night, excellent for star gazing, high powered telescope available on request, feeding squirrels and chipmunks amuzing activity, firepit, good eclectic library of books, 2.5 miles from Trillium Lake, no cats but dogs might be negotiable, house was finished in the late fall of 2010...moreless
- DVD Player
- Satellite / Cable
- Wireless Internet
- Deck / Patio
- Outdoor Grill
Location & View
- Cross Country Skiing
- Water Skiing
- Mountain Biking
- Rock Climbing
- Sight Seeing
- House is located 1.5 hour's drive to metropolitan Portland and 1 hour to the Columbia River Gorge which holds nearly endless opportunities for cultural, recreational and educational pursuits, but the house itself is a woodsy retreat, close by Timberline is on the National Historic registry with summer helicopter skiing, Mt Hood itself is the most climbed mountains in the country, but still requires skills, common sense, cell phones and GSP locator device, summer snow board schools, orchards of the Hood River area are fabulous in spring and the fruit stands are abundant in the fall, nearby Trillium Lake is stocked with trout, but does not allow motorized boats and has sandy beach, other lakes nearby do allow motorized boats, Government Camp has and good brew pub and dual slides at the Alpine Village and huckleberry pie year 'round....moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
This house was a fantasy escape from it all. The trip in (with our stuff on sleds) was a bit of a haul and it would be wise to pack carefully (to minimize excess weight) but the destination is well worth it. The house is beautiful and quite cozy once the fire gets going. The kitchen perfect for preparing comfort foods, the beds comfortable and plenty of HOT water. The setting is lovely. Our teens made the effort to hike out and travel up to Timberline each day, but we stayed in the valley and snow-shoed and cross-country ski'd.
- Guest Mumzie (Portland Oregon)
- Date of stay 11/23/11
- Review Submitted 12/04/11
Recommended for: Families with teenagers, romantic getaway, girls getaway, adventure seekers.
Owner response: Dear First winter renters, Delighted you all had a fine time. I was aware adults and kids would keep busy and be happy, but to have teenagers give their stamp of approval --now, that's terrific.
Stunning home in a beautiful setting
Stunning home in a beautiful setting
This is a beautifully designed new home nestled in the trees near Trillium Lake. Our family of four had a wonderful time here - no shortage of things to do. The home had everything we needed to be entirely comfortable and pampered in a rustic setting. The owner is very accommodating and clearly invested in her renters having a positive experience. We'll be back!
- Guest Rebecca (Portland, OR)
- Date of stay 07/01/11
- Review Submitted 07/07/11
Owner response: Thank you, First Renter Family, for taking the time to write a review. You are welcome any time since the house was left spotless and you shared its "spirit" of loving and caring about the mountain environment. So glad you and your children had such a great experience hiking the nearby trails and it looks as if (from left over Gorge literature - which I appreciate) that you took a day trip to Hood River. So much to do, so little time.
$1,400 per week, (preferred). Rates will reduce for multiple week stays. $500 deposit upon confirmation of booking. This becomes your damage/cleaning deposit which is refundable if house is left undamaged and left clean. Nightly rates of $225, two night minimum.
Note: Until confirmed, rates are subject to change without notice.
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
About the owner: Here I sit, Ann Richardson, on the kitchen counter, during the last days of finish work, admiring and rather much marvelling at all that was accomplshed during the building of the house.
Why the Owner Chose Government Camp:
To learn the story, Google 'Hank's Ranch.'
The Unique Benefits at this House:
The house offers a multitude of close-at-hand activities while also offering the peace and quiet of the venue itself
- Primary: 503-452-8437
Links to more information:
Front entrance to the house
Fireplace in Great Room, 2nd floor above with 1 bunkrm & 1 bdrm, 2 bdrms down
Roll-in shower on main floor
Dinning area on the main floor
Kitchen from bottom of the stairs that lead to 2nd floor. Deck surrounds outside
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2011.
Date last modified - Monday, June 03, 2013
4 Bedroom / 2 Bathroom
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.