VRBO is part of the HomeAway family, the world leader in vacation rentals with over 1 million listings. We offer the largest selection of properties for any travel occasion and every budget. We’re committed to helping families and friends find a perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together. Learn More
You sent a message to this owner.
Winner of the ABC Living Well Channel's 'Sweet Retreats' Austin edition and also known as the "GQ Jam in the Van Artist House". Ask about the Loft House's mid-week discount program and 2 day weekday minimums.
Welcome! If you're an artist, writer, musician, foodie or ridiculously famous, skinny-dipping, nature-buff your search for a secluded yet accessible Austin home-base is over. Situated on two acres of private green-space on a non-through street, this private oasis offers easy access to ACL, SXSW, F1 (Formula One) and downtown Austin. Perfect for artist/writer retreats, corporate relocation, girlfriend getaways, foodie reunions and romantic weekends.
Hi, I'm Sharon. In 2008, I flew to Bali and filled a container with art, architectural pieces, furniture, marble and building materials. When I returned to Austin I built my dream home in the Sunset Valley neighborhood, a tiny township within the city of Austin. 'Austin's best kept secret' has large lots, many old and beautiful trees, horses and abundant wildlife yet its only 14 minutes from downtown. In 2010 the Loft House was awarded five stars (the highest honor) by the Austin Green Building Program and was featured in the Cool House Architectural Tour.
The two story, naturally lighted artist's loft, has a flexible floor plan to accommodate a wide range of groups, from families on holiday to small wedding parties to corporate clients. Because I make my living designing and building things, my home is filled with textiles, art, art materials and works in progress. When you arrive you'll notice my obsessive compulsive attention to detail throughout, custom carved teak doors, polished concrete and pebble mosaic floors, natural clay wall finishes, custom light switches, etc. I've been told there's something about the space that fuels the imagination and inspires a sense of play, making it perfect for corporate brainstorming sessions and artist/writer retreats.
The very private outdoor living space offers numerous ways to enjoy the warm Austin weather; eat breakfast in the large screened porch, sip mojitos on the deck or paddle around the lap pool as deer, foxes, mexican eagles and hummingbirds frolic nearby.
WHOLE HOUSE FEATURES:
- Tall ceilings and lots of natural light
- Wireless internet
- onsite free parking
- Sleeps up to 12 people in luxury linens, 100% cotton sheets, world textile coverlets, vintage wool blankets, new pillows and comfortable mattresses. A variety of sleeping arrangements can be arranged.
- Bath and pool towels
- Alarm system
LIVING and DINING ROOM:
- Large open living space with two story windows overlook the private green-space
- Large sectional sofa can sleep three
- Raised dining room just off the kitchen with custom dining table and lighted art niche
KITCHEN: The fully equipped large kitchen with wrap-around counters that open onto the screened outdoor living and dining area is perfect for parties, foodie reunions and cooking classes.
- Gas stove
- Wall oven and microwave
- Coffee grinder, french presses and automated coffee maker
- Toaster oven
- Cooking equipment (cookie sheets, baking pans, pots and pans, salad spinner)
- Kitchen staples (flour, sugar, baking soda, etc.)
- Outdoor gas grill on the patio
BEDROOMS & BATHROOMS:
The ground floor 'Garden Room' Master Bedroom features...
- Large windows that overlook the pool area. Lots of natural light
- Custom roman shades for privacy
- The custom Balinese teak bed is larger than queen-size and super comfy
- Private bathroom with large soaking tub with a view, white pebble mosaic floor, towels, hair dryer and lighted magnifying mirror
- Walk in closet
- Private entrance offers access to the pool and outdoor shower
The second-floor 'Sun Room' Master Bedroom features…
- Large windows that overlook the pool and green-space
- Custom queen-size bed on wheels. (Roll it next to the windows and wake up surrounded by sky)
- Enough room to comfortably fit the second large bed if needed
- The next door bathroom includes a vintage custom etched claw-foot tub/shower, venetian plaster finish, towels, hair dryer and lighted magnifying mirror
The ground floor 'Patio' Bedroom features…
- Private entrance
- Outdoor patio with table, chairs and custom iron gates
- King-size bed or two comfortable twinXL beds
- Walk in closet
- Private bathroom with walk in shower, carved sink, towels, hair dryer and lighted magnifying mirror
A fourth full bathroom just off the main living space features a tub with a shower, a small vanity area, towels, hair dryer and lighted magnifying mirror
SECOND FLOOR LOFT AREAS: The entertainment/conference room that overlooks the main living space features
- Computer desks / conference table
- Lots of comfortable seating, including 12 Haworth conference chairs
- Can be configured to sleep four
- Brand new 60' plasma smart tv with Netflix online streaming, dvd player, Hulu, etc.
The 'Sleeping Loft':
- Closet space for clothing and suitcases
- The space can be configured in a variety of ways:
--- Two kings or four twinXL beds make it a sleeping loft.
--- A series of folding teak tables can be set up to make it a work space.
--- I have six yoga mats, now its a yoga studio!
- Large teak deck with a gas grill
- Fifty foot ozone lap pool
- Outdoor shower overlooking the 2 acre lot and dry creek
- Private patio just outside the 'Patio' bedroom
- A large private yard and a dry creek to explore
- Deer, foxes, raccoons, Mexican Eagles, hummingbirds galore
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Mar 1 - Jul 12, 2015
2 night min stay
ACL weekend 1
Oct 1 - Oct 4, 2015
3 night min stay
ACL weekend 2
Oct 8 - Oct 11, 2015
3 night min stay
F1 Formula One
Oct 22 - Oct 25, 2015
4 night min stay
Mar 9 - Mar 15, 2016
5 night min stay
Mar 16 - Mar 21, 2016
4 night min stay
My Standard Rate
3 night min stay
Thu, Fri, Sat
Additional information about rental rates
- The renter must be over 25, all children must be over 12.
- No smoking or pets.
- Check-in after 3 PM, check-out is at 11 AM. Pre-approval is required for changes.
- Special events and parties are allowed with owner approval and separate contract.
- See sections 15, 16 and 17 of the rental agreement for the Cancellation Policy.
Policy available by contacting owner when booking.
Paying through this free service protects your payment up to $10,000 against listing fraud. If you are not paying through HomeAway Payments always call the owner at the number listed on our website and never use instant money transfer services such as Western Union and MoneyGram.
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Year Purchased: 2009
About the owner: I'm an artist, designer, foodie, film buff and collector of Outsider Art. (I'm an antique show, junk shop and eBay addict!). I designed my house to revolve around the kitchen and the art studio, the two places where I'm most happy. Well, make that three places, I'm happy swimming in my pool too. And oh yeah, I'm happy hanging out with friends on my porch, eating fresh food we just dragged home from the Sunset Valley Farmers Market (only two blocks away). And I'm happy taking walks around my neighborhood visiting the horses and hiking on the nearby nature trails. I guess I'm just generally happy. You see I was born and raised in upstate New York, where the winters are long and cold. Now that I live in Austin, where the weather is warm, the people are friendly and the culture is lively, I'm in heaven!
Why the Owner Chose Private Homes:
If you're looking for an out of the ordinary experience with privacy and luxury amenities, and you don't mind driving FOURTEEN MINUTES to where the action is, this is the place.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
Ask about my mid-week discounts!
Start your day with a relaxing swim in the 50' lap pool
The porch is screened on 3 sides to capture breezes + views of abundant wildlife
Garden Bedroom: Banks of windows let in sunshine and views of the pool + garden
The Garden Bedroom's private bathroom with a view
A detail of the headboard in the Patio Bedroom
The Patio Bedroom's outdoor living space
The Sleeping Loft holds 4 TwinXLs or 2 King sized beds
The large outdoor shower room with an (optional) view
Natural lighting, great views and Balinese furnishings create a serene setting
The caretaker's treehouse is located right next door in case you need anything
We're busy bees constantly adding new features to the house and landscaping
Hire one of our amazing personal chefs to cook for your family and friends
The open loft-style living space is perfect for entertaining
Media Loft: Enjoy the new 60' hi-def smart tv with cable, Netflix, Hulu, etc.
The view from the Garden Bedroom of the pool and garden and large backyard
The Patio Bedroom can be set up with a King or two TwinXL beds
Patio Bedroom: Sliding glass doors face west and open onto a private patio
Sunroom bedroom: Vintage windup birds perch atop two 'wandering' queen beds
The home is filled with textiles, furnishings and art from my travels
Our Five Star Green Building Home features natural finishes a solar power.
Our home is filled with artistic details, especially during the holidays
Swimming season extends into the late fall in Austin
Planning a retreat, workshop or off-site meeting? Ask about our weekday discount
End your nights unwinding under the stars. © Nicole Mlakar
Call from 10 AM to 10 PM EST
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.