1936 Lakefront Log Cabin - Historic Big Glen Lake Family Retreat Dunes Lakeshore
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:Contact owner
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Glen Arbor cabin description
* * Sparkling WATERFRONT Big Glen Lake * * Available ONLY from Sept 7 for early autumn. Please check calendar * * Our waterfront log cabin nestles in a sunny spot in the woods on the south shore of Big Glen Lake. A memorable family gathering place with views over Caribbean blue water, a private dock and raft for water-based activities. The log cabin is called Shack Tamarack after the trees felled for logs, gathered and peeled in nearby Cedar. It was designed by Harry Weese, while in architecture school, for his parents & has been used by family every summer since. A special place at the end of a private drive, a short distance from the Narrows Bridge & Ideally located adjacent to the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. Relax, enjoy your vacation at our memorable log cabin which contains much of the original furniture made of logs. A local field stone fireplace anchors one end of the large living area which looks to the water. To one side, a dining area with benches & table made of two wide planks
Kitchen & Amenities: The KITCHEN is well suited for those who like to cook, contains modern amenities and easily partakes of the activity. The adjacent screen porch with swing is a quiet retreat for sunrise, sunset or mid-day break. Just outside is an ample deck with lounge chairs and picnic table. A hammock and grill are nearby. All areas overlook the crystal clear, spring fed lake.
Log Cabin Retreat & Waterfront: Enjoy the peace of water lapping at the shore or the breeze passing the birches while reading in the hammock or rocking in a chair on the porch. A crackling fire will welcome you after an early morning or evening dip in the lake. Whatever your inclination, a variety of activities abound and you will have a memorable vacation at our family summer home. . . . . . . . . . The cottage has a private dock and raft. The water is shallow at the shore with minimal beach. There is ample sandy shallow water swimming between the dock and raft Kayaks, canoes & windsurfers can be easily accommodated, however we have no facilities for launching or mooring larger or motorized watercraft and the driveway cannot accommodate trailers. Public launch ramps are nearby. Kayaks & bikes may be rented in town.
AVAILABLE DATES!: Lovely spring and Autumn dates available
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Pets Not Allowed
- Wheelchair Inaccessible
Bedrooms: 7 Bedrooms, Sleeps 12, Beds for 12
- PLEASE read this Bedroom description carefully before inquiring for accommodation. THANK YOU! Due to the beds & BR configuration, the cabin is most suited for 5-6 adults & a maximum of 5-6 children. All rooms except the double are on the second floor. The 2 queen bedded rooms, Grandma's and Wing, are suited for adults. The single twin bed room connects to the Wing queen room. Each has its own access. This is often used as a young child's room and can accommodate a small crib. The double on the first floor is favored by grandparents. The remaining 3 'bunk' rooms are off a covered exterior balcony accessible by both interior & exterior stairs. They rooms divided by about 9' high walls which do NOT extend to the sloping log & plank roof. They lack the privacy an adult may wish. 2 have double bunks and 1 a double. The beds are intended for 1 person each. Only the single room can accommodate a portable child's crib or pack'n'play....moreless
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom, 1 Half Bathroom
- The Cabin has a Private Dock & raft. - The wonderful screened porch overlooks the lake as does the large deck with picnic table and comfortable seating. All family members like to cook and you will find the kitchen amply supplied with necessary equipment - The amenities are the absolutely wonderful lake and area of the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. If you have specific needs or requests please inquire....moreless
- Away From It All
- Autumn Foliage
- Sight Seeing
- Horseback Riding
- Bird Watching
- Wildlife Viewing
sports and adventure activities
- Water Skiing
- Freshwater Fishing
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Dining Area
- Linens Provided:
- Towels Provided:
- Clothes Dryer
- Wireless Internet
- Covered Parking
- Dishes & Utensils
- Coffee Maker
ReviewsWrite a review
1936 Lakefront Log Cabin
1936 Lakefront Log Cabin
Excellent Property! Wonderful log cabin, beautiful area. Property was very clean and well maintained. I would highly recommend to my friends. It has all of the amenities one would need for a great getaway vacation.
- Guest Greg (Midland, MI)
- Date of stay 06/26/10
- Review Submitted 07/06/10
Recommended for: Sightseeing, families with young children, adventure seekers, age 55+, families with teenagers.
Owner response: It is a pleasure to share this special log cabin with those who appreciate and care for it in our absence. It is a place of family gatherings spanning 5 generations which, with the cottage next door, allows guests a similar opportunity to gather family in a beautiful part of the country on a spectacular clear lake. Thank you for your visit and treading lightly. We look forward to your return with best wishes for your well being until then.
I have stayed here & in the cottage next door many times over the last 30 years from June through September and have always marveled at the beautiful swimming and water. It is so peaceful to be here, read, relax, paint, walk, canoe, kayak, windsurf, hike in the Dunes National Lakeshore, and not wander far. On the other hand it is really nice to have so many other options close at hand such as good restaurants, the Art Association, Dunes Concert, shopping. It seems to get better every year without detracting from the wonderful natural environment. This log cabin is really unusual and has been thoughtfully maintained to preserve its character and add some welcome things like a great deck overlooking the water. It is well provisioned for cooking & has a great long table made from 2 wide pine boards. 2 queen bedrooms are great for adults. The double downstairs may work for 2 but is usually used by one. The "bunkrooms" are entered off an exterior balcony, are basic and sleep 3-5. They are special as is the whole cabin. The architect, Harry Weese, designed a great, vernacular, north woods log cabin. A very special place where I hope to continue to return many times.
- Guest Anonymous
- Date of stay 03/01/08
- Review Submitted 03/02/08
Most sparkling warm water & best swimming in the world! Warm sunny days with hikes in the Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore Park, canoeing along the shore, windsurfing in the afternoon breeze. Even the occasional rain was welcome when we curled up and read, played games and visited. Our evening fire in the stone fireplace with chimney reaching to the rafters, became a gathering place for relaxing, telling stories and planning for the next day – there is so much to do! Others would retreat to the screened porch or deck morning, noon and night to pursue favorite activities and enjoy the peace. Sunrise, sunset, moonrise all reflected in the crystal waters of the sandy bottom, spring fed Glen Lake. We will return to this warm & inviting family retreat in the sun-filtered woods at the edge of the lake. It was kind of you to share your historic log cabin with us!
- Guest Anonymous
- Date of stay 08/01/03
- Review Submitted 08/01/03
$2,800-$3,325/weekRates are for 8 guests; A maximum of 4 additional guests may be accommodated & is subject solely to owner's determination if the complement of guests & total number will be comfortable & are appropriate to the cabin's design & historic features. Please contact us for rates & suitability. Saturday 4:00 pm to Saturday 10:00 am* Please Check Availability calendar before inquiring. *
Note: Until confirmed, rates are subject to change without notice.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
- Nearest Airport: Traverse City at 27 Miles
- Nearest Beach: Lake Michigan at 3 Miles
- Nearest Barpub: Glen Arbor & Empire, nearby environs at 3 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: Glen Arbor & Empire, nearby environs at 3 Miles
Year Purchased: 1936
About the owner: We are some of the grandchildren (in our youth) who own, manage and vacation at this wonderful log cabin built by our grandparents.
Why the Owner Chose Glen Arbor:
Our grandparents visited this area to fish in the 1910's and made the great decision to build this log cabin and make it their home for a large part of the year. Our parents, we, our children & theirs have made a seasonal sojourn ever since because there is so much the area has to offer.
- Primary: +1 617 267-6980 8:00am - 9:00 pm
- Secondary: +1 617 571-0475 cell
Links to more information:
Historic log cabin lakeside view with Deck & Screen Porch
Crystal blue water of lake & private raft
Kitchen pass through to dining table
Bedroom - First Floor Double
Entry showing balcony access to bunkrooms
Living Room - view on lake
View from fireplace
Kitchen - well provided for cooking
Private dock access to lake and raft
Inspiration Point - just up the road
7 Bedroom / 1.5 Bathroom
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.