VRBO is part of the HomeAway family, the world leader in vacation rentals with over 1 million listings. We offer the largest selection of properties for any travel occasion and every budget. We’re committed to helping families and friends find a perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together. Learn More
Unit 4B of Maui Sands is a DIRECT OCEAN FRONT unit on the ground floor of a two story building only 10 feet from the ocean. 25 feet to the right are the steps down to enter the ocean. It's a 2 Bedroom unit with a king size bed in one bedroom & two twin beds in the other bedroom. Plenty of seating in the living room with two couches (one sofa sleeper) and a massage chair. The condo comfortably sleeps 6.
Your parking spot is free & there are no resort fees. Our unit is extremely private. Don't expect to see anyone walking in front of your 180 Degree view of the ocean during your whole trip! (except maybe walking/swimming farther down in the ocean).
We have just completed a $150,000 renovation!
We thought long & hard about how to make our condo a model for others to follow in terms of being as environmentally responsible & healthy as possible. We wanted to address issues like the poor recycling program on Maui, the poor quality of the drinking water, the inefficiencies of general appliances & electronics, indoor air pollution, the use of the Hawaiian trade winds for cooling & many other aspects of a home.
Here are some of the things we did:
- We provided organic cotton bed sheets, towels, pillows & linens since conventional cotton is a very pesticide & herbicide intensive crop. For example: It takes one-quarter of a pound of chemicals to produce one conventional cotton T-shirt.
- Zero VOC paint (Volatile Organic Compounds = airborne carcinogens) was used on 97% of the walls. This was to help insure the indoor air quality was of the highest standards. This was especially important to us since we have a 2 year old son and one on the way!
- All tile flooring (no vinyl, linoleum, carpets). This also eliminates off gassing and trapped dirt and dust from collecting anywhere.
- We installed a reverse osmosis crystal clear water purifier for drinking & cooking. So there's no need to buy bottled water and that saves you money, and the environment!
- We have Teflon free (carcinogenic) pots & pans. Ours are quality stainless steel and we even have a cast iron fry pan. If you are not sure how to use it, let us know!
- We supply only glass tuperware instead of plastic tuperware. FYI: Plastics can leach chemicals like BPA into your food when you store them.
- An abundant use of Bamboo in the construction & finishing instead of wood products where possible. Bamboo is a grass & not a product derived from forestry. It has a short growth cycle of approximately five years, depending on the variety. As a result, bamboo is considered a highly renewable & sustainable product that saves our ever-dwindling hardwood forests.
- We've added louvre shutters above bedroom doors to allow air flow while maintaining privacy which cuts down on the need to use air conditioning & fans (although we have fans in the bedrooms). Another bonus is you can have the sound of the waves lull you to sleep while your bedroom door is closed.
- Use of the latest technology of energy efficient lights like LED dimmable lights.
- Emerson's 'Midway Eco' Fans in the living room & dining room. These fans are the most energy efficient fans on the market! They use 75% less energy then a conventional ceiling fan.
- The most energy efficient stainless steel appliances. For example our fridge is a MayTag Tier 3 Eco-Conserve rated fridge. It uses less energy then a 60 watt light bulb! The stove comes with two ovens of different sizes so that you only heat the oven size you need! An added bonus of the two ovens is that it gives you the option to cook two different things at different temperatures at the same time.
- We have also consciously chose 16 sets of Correll dishes because of how well they stack in a dishwasher. This translates into saving energy by not having to run the dishwasher as often!
- Our LG brand LED TV wins the top spot for the most energy efficient Television over 50' (source: EnergyStar program).
- Integrated into the cabinets is a 4 bin recycling station for recycling aluminum, glass, plastics & cardboard.
- All our interior wood doors are FSC certified (Forest Stewardship Council)
- We've had the plumber connect the reverse osmosis water purifier to the ice machine so that even your ice cubes are made from the purest water.
- The shower has a built in filter that removes chlorine.
- Our toaster? Well we looked far & wide for it: It only heats up one element when you are only toasting one slice of bread! Thus cutting energy use by 50% for these situations! Don't be fooled, your toaster at home does not do this simple concept.
Here's the incorporated technology:
- We have incorporated a 2nd beverage fridge into the kitchen in case you need the space.
- 60' LED Edge lit True High Definition (1080P) TV that up-converts any 2D video to 3D with amazing results! It comes with 4 pairs of 3D glasses so everyone can watch in 3D. Regular TV viewing works great to.
- High Definition DVR recorder (for pausing & recording live TV & your favorite shows) & over 20 hi-def channels
- Free local & long distance to anywhere in North America.
- Password protected wireless High speed Internet (30mbps). (There is also a public wireless internet service at the pool & elsewhere on the spacious grounds.)
- 3D Blu-Ray player
- Stereo & 5 speaker Dolby Digital surround sound in the ceiling for TV, Movies, CDs, iPod or MP3 player.
- Pandora Radio access let's you listen and create your favorite Radio stations through the Condo's 5 speaker sound system.
- Free NetFlix access: watch thousands of movies in Hi-Def for free! YouTube, Hulu & other Internet video stations are also available.
- A nice massage chair to relax your soothing muscles after a long day of sight seeing or surfing at the beach!
King size beds (1) California King bed, Twin or Single Beds (2) 2 twin beds that can be pushed together to create another king size bed., Sleep Sofa or Futons (1) The Sofa bed is a queen size mattress with a pillow top so you will not be feeling coils when you sleep!...moreless
Access to Pandora radio where you can build your own custom radio stations on the fly....moreless
Satellite / Cable:
over 20 hi-def channels Hi-def DVR for pausing, recording live TV and your favorite programs for future viewing convenience. Free Netflix access to watch thousands of movies and tv shows...moreless
, 55' LED 3D TV with 4 pairs of 3D glasses. It can upconvert any 2 dimensional program into 3D with amazing results. ...moreless
Netflix access to the entire Netflix library!...moreless
Local Services & Businesses
Check out our photo to see what your view will be. ...moreless
The yellow sandy beach out front is small and private. Maui Sands is unique in have 3 sets of reefs to buffer the incoming waves to give you three options of swimming and snorkeling: between the beach and the first reef is the calmest. Watch small schools of young fish frolic and jump. In between the first and second reef offers a nice olympic sized swimming pool feel with a gold sand bottom and depths ranging from 3ft to 8ft. Sea turtles are a common sight. Going beyond the second reef brings you to the deeper third and the wild waters beyond. ...moreless
Watch an unobstructed view of the weather come in from a comfortable distance off the Island of Molokai and see the ancient volcano crater and 5000ft Kamakou mountain. Look south and witness the tall trees capture the rain clouds on the highest points of the Island of Lanai. Look North and see the mysterious uninhabited islands of Mokuho Oniki 12 miles away. Look out the front door and see the green West Maui Mountains where rainbows in the late afternoon is a common sight. You will not find a more amazing view of the wild and lush islands of Hawaii....moreless
From 12ft off your lanai (balcony) to 40 miles away will be nothing but emerald blue waters and wild, lush and green Hawaiian islands....moreless
Maui Sands was built in a time period when there was no minimum setbacks from the ocean like there are today. So you will be staying in one of the closet vacation rentals to the emerald blue waters of the Pacific. Will you hear ocean waves 24/7? Most definitely....moreless
Sports & Adventure Activities
Scuba Diving Or Snorkeling
Seating for 7 people
10mbps private and secure wireless high speed internet for your exclusive use....moreless
Free Long Distance:
Free local and long distance calling to anywhere in North America....moreless
Rates are based on 4 guests; add $15 per night, per additional guest
Humpback Whale Season Jan 7 - Apr 10, 2016 3 night min stay
Rates are based on 4 guests; add $15 per night, per additional guest
My Standard Rate 3 night min stay
Rates are based on 4 guests; add $10 per night, per additional guest
* Approximate Monthly rates, actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay
Additional information about rental rates
Cleaning fee$150 + tax
Policy available by contacting owner when booking.
Book with confidence
Paying through this free service protects your payment up to $10,000 against listing fraud. If you are not paying through HomeAway Payments always call the owner at the number listed on our website and never use instant money transfer services such as Western Union and MoneyGram.
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.
About the owner: I have a 1 bedroom place in Kihei which I bought in 2007 (kiheivacationcondo dot net) and have lived there during the winter months until this year. I bought a 2 bedroom in Maui Sands in spring 2011 (It was clear with my growing family that I needed a larger place). I am a web developer and philanthropist and try to do my part to make the world a better place.
I enjoy renting out our Hawaii home when we are off island so that other like-minded individuals can also experience an amazing part of the world while minimizing their carbon footprint.
Why the Owner Chose Honokowai: After a very intensive search, we decided on Maui Sands. Here are 6 of many reasons:
1. The consistent trade winds blow from the Northeast so we wanted to stay upwind from the sewage treatment plants so that our air remained the freshest and cleanest in the world. Sorry Kaanapali!
2. The Kahekili Fish reserve is directly in front of Maui Sands. This results in an abundance of marine life and a restriction on certain fishing. The reserve ends a hundred yards to the north, so places like Kahana, Napili and Kapalua do not have this feature.
3. There is a kids playground with a new jungle gym 100 yards north of Maui Sands. This is a big hit with young families and my son. Access can be via the water, or the road from our condo.
4. There is a health food store (the only one in West Maui) only 150 yards north of us. It hosts a farmers market 3 times a week and is a great source for local produce and organic foods. Another option for groceries is the Times Market, a standard grocery store that is 400 yards south of us. There are lots of shops, restaurants and gear rental stores, all within walking distance.
5. Maui Sands is one of the original condos in all of West Maui and it has retained a lot of the old Hawaii feel of the 60's before the hotel boom. Maui Sands have a very low density of condos in its spacious grounds and combining that with the mature landscaping, old palm trees, vintage signs and rustic seawall, it certainly takes you back in time to an old Hawaiian experience.
6. Maui Sands has a very unique reef system which some argue has the most child-friendly calm waters of all of West Maui. There's a beach nick-named baby beach in Lahaina, that is popular with families because of the protected waters. It's water quality is quite poor however and pales in comparison to the crystal clear waters of Maui Sands. Please note: during high surf/swell situations, none of the Hawaiian waters escape the wrath of the Ocean.
The Unique Benefits at this Condo: Maui Sands and our neighbour complex North of us are the last of the condos that can access the 1.5 mile long North Kaanapali Beach and Black Rock beyond by walking along the shoreline. If you like going for long walks in your bare feet, then Maui Sands is a good choice.
Maui Sands was built before there were any setback rules for buildings. As a result, having a condo within 12 feet of the ocean where you can feel the vibration of the surf from the lanai is a very rare and surreal experience. We enjoy being so close to the ocean that we can experience it with all our senses yet still be shielded from harm with the 8ft sea wall.