Ashevillage Sanctuary: Downtown Eco-Sweet Retreat. Whole House Rental
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:Contact owner
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Asheville house description
...An exceptional downtown site...
• SLEEPS UP TO 14
• A FEW BLOCKS TO DOWNTOWN
• GORGEOUS SUNLIT ECO HOUSE WITH CLAY WALLS
• A 1 ACRE URBAN PARADISE WITH BEAUTIFUL GARDENS, PONDS & WATERFALL
• BORDERING 60 ACRES OF WOODS & TRAILS
WELCOME to our beautiful, natural guest house located a few blocks from downtown Asheville, NC. There are two houses on site -- we live in one of them with an extra room for larger parties. We're surrounded by extensive gardens with aquaponic ponds, medicinal herbs, flowers and an edible landscape. You can walk out the front door and into town in just eight minutes, or out back into 60 acres of woods and trails. We are 3 minutes to the Biltmore Estate and a few more to the Blue Ridge Parkway.
BEAUTIFUL AND NATURALLY RENOVATED. Our 1,850 sq ft house features: Five lovely bedrooms (with 1 additional room next door), a large, fully-equipped kitchen, furnished living and dining rooms, hardwood floors, 1.5 baths, a wood-burning stove, wifi, washer and dryer, tons of light, and a large stone courtyard and ampitheatre.
Our guests say they love it here!
ARCHITECTURAL ELEMENTS: Custom-made clay paints, curved corners, built-in niches and arches throughout. We kept the original paned windows and trim. The home has a peaceful feeling with bright, natural lighting in every room.
EACH BEDROOM has 2-3 beds (total of 8 twins, 3 queens) and is fully furnished with tasteful decor. Beds are dressed with sheets, blankets, comforters, pillows and pillow cases. We supply towels, wash cloths and everything else you would need to have a happy stay here.
Our guests say they sleep very well.
LOCATION IS EVERYTHING. Walk a few blocks into town and get to know the charming city of Asheville. Enjoy the beautiful flowers and birds in our peaceful gardens. Relax in the spaciousness of the house with all its unique features. Enjoy the courtyard ampi-theatre.
Our hosts are so helpful. They look forward to having you!
KEYWORDS: Asheville, Retreat, House, Views, Sunny, Trails, WiFi, Gardens, Local, Green, Shopping, Restaurants, Sustainable, Natural Building, LGBT-Friendly, Eco, Visit, Downtown, Group, Big, Writers
- Vacation Rental
- Non Smoking Only
- Children Welcome
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Clothing Optional/Nude Sunbathing Nearby
- Minimum Age Limit For Renters
- Pets Considered
Bedrooms: 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 12, Beds for 8-12
- Queen size Beds (1), Double Beds (1)
Bathrooms: 1.5 Bathrooms
Kitchen & Dining
- Cooking Utensils
- Shared Kitchen
- Catering Available
- Washing Machine
- Air Conditioning
- Clothes Dryer
- Linens Provided
- Wood Stove
- This super sweet guest house features custom-designed, clay-painted walls, arched entryways, sculpted niches & ceilings. The house is based on a beautiful one-acre permaculture demonstration site. We border 60 peaceful acres of wooded parkland with easy walking trails and gorgeous sunsets. You can walk downtown within a few minutes where you'll find a vast and charming selection of locally-owned, organic restaurants, shops, galleries, movie theatres & clubs. There are parks, museums, buskers & more. We (your cool hosts) live next door. We grow food and medicine, capture and use rainwater, offer tours and educational programs, and have developed integrated ecological systems here. Among the highlights: • Large, recycled courtyard patio • Outdoor kitchen, wood-fired oven • Natural building proects, renovation & mud art • Beautiful edible, medicinal, and flowered landscape • Aquaponic greenhouse with chicken coop and shower • Five recirculating aquaculture ponds & vegeta...moreless
- Wireless Internet
- Deck / Patio
Location & View
- Hot Air Ballooning
- Rock Climbing
- Cross Country Skiing
- Massage Therapist
- Medical Services
- Basketball Court
- Water Skiing
- Hunting Small Game
- Golf Privileges Optional
- Equestrian Events
- Mountain Climbing
- Whitewater Rafting
- Water Tubing
- Mountain Biking
- Jet Skiing
- Recreation Center
- Eco Tourism
- Bird Watching
- Winery Tours
- Live Theater
- Botanical Garden
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Miniature Golf
- Sight Seeing
- Wildlife Viewing
- Fitness Center
- Scenic Drives
- Paddle Boating
- Horseback Riding
- Ashevillage Sanctuary is partners with the Ashevillage Institute, a sustainability educational organization, www.ashevillage.org. We are located on a premier national demonstration site and offer custom-created tours that provide you and your group the opportunity to delve deeply into the world of SUSTAINABILITY. PROGRAMS OFFERED --Book 1 hour to 1 week-- • Walking tours • Hands-on workshops • Field trips & demonstrations • Anything else that we can provide to create the experience that you're looking for TOPIC AREAS --What do you want?-- • Hands-on home-scale Permaculture at our demonstration site • Natural foods, teas, wild fermentation & medicine-making • Plant, tree, mushroom identification and nature walks • Green design, water, energy & cooking systems • Community gardens & Green Schoolyards • Natural hand-sculpted earthen buildings • Local green restaurants & businesses We'd be delighted to be your personal guides! Let us know what you're looking for and we'll arrange the immersion that's right for you. ...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
Lovely Eco-Home with Easy Access to Downtown and to Hiking Trails
Lovely Eco-Home with Easy Access to Downtown and to Hiking Trails
We had a wonderful stay at the Eco-Sweet Retreat. It's a beautiful house with a terrace and inviting gardens, and it's roughly a 12-minute walk to the center of downtown. Our hosts were very friendly and responsive, and they kindly provide local maps and other books in the sunlit reading room. The description and photos on VRBO are very helpful, but there are a couple of confusing points. The house has four bedrooms, not five, with four queen beds and four twin beds; it comfortably sleeps 12 if all beds are fully occupied. It has everything most visitors to the area would need, but it is not, understandably, perfect for everyone - there is no television (fine by us!), no air conditioning (but ample ceiling fans and ventilation), and no dishwasher (a bit of a challenge for a big group but not a deal breaker). We loved the attention to detail and the care that was put into the house, and it was a lot of fun to roam the gardens and hike along nearby wooded trails. The fact that we could easily walk downtown was crucial for our group, and there was plenty of street-parking by the house for several cars. The per-person rate seemed a bit high compared to other high-capacity VRBO homes that I've rented over the years, but the Eco-Sweet Retreat seems like the only rental of its kind in downtown Asheville. (Others are about 20 minutes away.) Keep in mind that the owner's house next door is just a few feet away, and during our stay, interns and other happy folks working at the property occasionally came in and out of the rental house, to use the kitchen sink or to get tools from the basement. The back doors are usually left open during the day, and the house is always unlocked (though there are keys for each bedroom, if desired). We didn't mind this communal environment, especially since it supplemented our stay in some ways (everyone was eager to tell us about and show us the projects they were working on); but I did wonder if we were being disruptive in some ways. Wrapping up, many thanks to Janell and everyone else at the Eco-Sweet Retreat who makes it such a special space! Hopefully we'll see you again down the road.
- Guest Sarah (United States)
- Date of stay 07/27/12
- Review Submitted 08/08/12
Recommended for: Tourists without a car, families with young children, adventure seekers.
• WHOLE HOUSE: $350/night or $2200/week. Rates are based on 6 guests @ $58/person. • More than 6 guests: $25 extra/night/person. (@45/person with 10 people). • 10% discount on reservations for 7+ nights. 3 night minimum. • 4 week rental spread over a year: $1800/wk + extra guest fee, same as above. • Full payment is required to confirm your reservation. • 10.75% sales tax. $120 one-time cleaning fee. Must be 25+ to make a reservation. • No refunds for cancellations within 20 days of check-in.(50% if before 20 days.) • $120 Cleaning fee. $100 processing fee for cancellations.
Note: Until confirmed, rates are subject to change without notice.
This owner accepts HomeAway payments.
Always use this free service to protect your payments up to $10,000 against fraud while keeping your financial information private. With HomeAway Payments, your credit card information is not seen by the owner or manager. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Call the owner to confirm booking request.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Sorry this information is not available. Please contact the owner for more information.
Year Purchased: 2006
About the owner: Janell Kapoor's work in the field of natural building inspired the founding of Kleiwerks International -- a nonprofit organization and global network of ecological building specialists. Over the past decade Janell initiated the natural building movements of Southeast Asia, South America, the Southeastern United States, and recently, Turkey. Janell has worked with people from over 52 countries, with more alumni performing muddy miracles than she can shake a stick at. Numerous teachers, education centers, communities, businesses, trainings, and homes have emerged as a result of her trainings. Janell LOVES her home in Asheville. You'll find her amongst the edible backyard (the site of the Ashevillage Sanctuary). She is dedicated to localizing and naturalizing urban landscapes as a way of creating the future we want to live in now.
Why the Owner Chose Asheville:
After spending time in 34 countries, Asheville is the one place in the world I choose to call home. This particular site is an example of how sustainability can work in the city AND be beautiful. I love that we are downtown AND in the woods. I love the 180 degree sunset at the end of our street. I love watching the birds do their daily dance in the waterfall. I consider this to be a slice of heaven....and I'm happy to share it with all who come to visit.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
It's a pleasure seeing the glee in our guests eyes when they walk around back. Then showing them to their rooms and knowing they are very pleased with their choice to be here. The simple elegance of the curved corners and clay walls adds a softness that is inviting. Other unique benefits here: Walking to town in 8 minutes flat. Waking up to the sound of a waterfall. Watching the flowers bloom all season long. Harvesting lunch from the gardens. Visiting the Biltmore Estate 3 minutes away. The street fairs and festivals, the music, the artists, galleries, cafes, good people....and being able to come back to the serenity of the Sanctuary.
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Sunlit common space with archways
Relax in the spaciousness
Sky Room with two queen beds
Hand-sculpted relief work decorates the Sky Room
New Sand Room layout. This is the queen. There are also two twins.
Sage Room overlooks the gardens. Two twin beds.
Dining room is open to the kitchen with adobe tiles, archways & natural finishes
Hand-made earthen oven and griddle
The woods are a 1-minute walk away with serene trails through 60 acres
Rain barrels double as a plant perch
Relax, take it easy, put your feet up, ENJOY!
The sunflower lifts her head to a beautiful day. We look forward to your stay!
Spacious common room is great for groups
Built-in niches finished with earthen plasters and paints adorn this unique home
Arabesque arched niches
Sand Room: Beautiful vaulted ceiling and niches, finished with natural paints
Here are the two singles
Rose Room, a little fairy tale (with one queen bed)
Backyard paradise with waterfall, greenhouse, stone walls & amazing gardens
Gateway into the edible gardens
One of five waterways that collect 18,000 gallons of rainwater
The garden is ever blooming.
We offer sustainability tours. If you're interested, let us know
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2012.
Date last modified - Thursday, January 10, 2013
4 Bedroom / 1.5 Bathroom
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.