Tucson Mountains Cutie!
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:Contact owner
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Tucson Mountain Foothills cottage description
TUCSON, ARIZONA: Population: 520,116 and counting. Still has that small town vibe along with big city excitement. The opera one night and two-stepping in the nearby dance hall the next.
Casa Llanura is 5 miles west of I-10 in the lower foothills of the Tucson Mountains. We have created a little desert Oasis on the edge of Tucson, a city still small enough to meet your neighbor on a walk around the block, yet large enough to get lost in the crowd during opening night at the symphony. The Casita is situated on a half acre with a private drive and a large parking area, and is decorated in the rustic style of the Southwest with modern touches. Six rooms, fully furnished with central heat and air conditioning and all necessary amenities. There is a living room, dine-in kitchen, two bedrooms, one with a queen bed, another with a twin bed. For those who bring work home there is an office with a desk and a router for wireless internet. Add the laundry room with a full size washer and dryer and you have all you need. For at-home entertainment we provide cable TV, a DVD player and movies, a Radio/CD player with cd's, puzzles, books, games, brochures and information on local interests. Some folks say the best entertainment is sitting on the back porch watching the antics of the resident wildlife, woodpeckers, cardinals, quail, dove, pigeons, bunnies, squirrels, lizards, a friendly tarantula, the occasional Javelina family or coyote and other harmless critters.
Rest, walk, nap, bike, hike, fish, golf, eat, drink, work or play, this is the place for you.
- 900 sq. ft.
- 1 story
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Pets Considered:
- Non Smoking Only:
Bedrooms: 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 3, Beds for 3
Bathrooms: 0 Bathrooms
Kitchen & Dining
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Cooking Utensils:
- Pantry Items:
- Coffee Maker:
- Living Room seats 4:
- Linens Provided:
- Parking Off Street:
- Parking For RV/Boat/Trailer:
- Towels Provided:
- Air Conditioning:
- BEST OF TUCSON: Southern Arizona VA Health Care System in Tucson boasts one of the highest rated VA Hospitals and Related Veterans Services in the country. It's a self contained campus on several acres with Southwestern style adobe buildings housing the various departments that provide dozens of services and programs, including lodging for visiting Vets and Families. Barron’s Magazine named Tucson one of the 'Top 20 Cities to Retire in the World'. Tucson was recently named the third-best cycling city in the country by Bicycling magazine. In AARP Magazine's 2009 survey, TUCSON... #1. 'Best Places to Live a Simple Life.' With 350 days of sunshine a year, Tucson, Arizona is the place to vacation, or to relocate! Many of our guests have stayed with us while looking for their new home in Tucson. Find trip planning information on events, restaurants and things to do on www.visittucson.org. Ask owner for personal favorites. Come... ENJOY!...moreless
- Music Library:
- Video Library:
- Satellite / Cable:
- DVD Player
- Porch / Veranda:
- Lawn / Garden:
- Water Sports Gear:
- Tourist Attractions
- Sports & Activities
- Away From It All
Location & View
Casita is in the foothills of the beautiful Tucson Mountains with stunning sunsets and abundant wildlife viewed from the back patio. Sweetwater Preserve and El Camino Del Cerro Trailhead are nearby for walking and hiking....moreless
- Golf Privileges Optional
- Rock Climbing
- Mountain Climbing
- Fitness Center
- Medical Services
- Ski Privileges Optional
- Ski Lift Privileges
- Freshwater Fishing
- Equestrian Events
- Roller Blading
- Mountain Biking
- Massage Therapist
- Live Theater
- Theme Parks
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Recreation Center
- Botanical Garden
- Horseback Riding
- Eco Tourism
- Bird Watching
- Paddle Boating
- Gambling Casinos
- Miniature Golf
- Wildlife Viewing
- Sight Seeing
- Outlet Shopping
- Scenic Drives
- If you crave something new and different take a drive up scenic GATES PASS in the Tucson Mountains, studded with giant Saguaros and endless vistas. Along the way you will find four of our most popular destinations; the International Wildlife Museum, Old Tucson Studios, the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum and Saguaro National Park. Southern Arizona VA Health Care System in Tucson boasts one of the highest rated VA Hospitals and Related Veterans Services in the country. Just 30 minutes from the Casita, it's a self contained community on several acres. There are beautiful Southwestern style adobe buildings housing the various departments that provide dozens of services and programs, including lodging for visiting Vets and Families. For a day of shopping and entertainment we have 4 covered shopping malls, miles of shopping centers, cafes and fine restaurants, live theatre, museums and 3 Casinos. If sports are your game, try our lakes for boating and fishing, parks for swimming, tennis and golf. Bring your clubs and join Tom for a day of golf. At day’s end, we invite you to experience the laid back atmosphere of the west. The solitude, lush desert surroundings, awesome sunsets and clear night skies filled with stars. Relax on the Casa’s back porch with a Margarita and watch the sky turn to fire as the sun sets behind the mountains. Ah, the end of another beautiful day in Tucson. Come…see for yourself!...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
Amy, Scott, Shannon & TJ
Amy, Scott, Shannon & TJ
This was our temporary lodging while we searched for our forever home. The property was accurately described and Dee and Tom are not only great landlords, but have become great friends. We enjoyed the area for walking our dogs and watching sunsets. It was very convenient for us to get around and there is no better thing to sit on your back patio and enjoy the birds, javelina and coyotes. We found Dee and Tom very considerate of our privacy but easily available with questions or concerns. There is lots of information available in the cottage for ideas of things to do around the area. Very easy commute to the VA on 6th Avenue, and many choices of places to worship. Library is near-by as well as Christopher Columbus Park with an off leash dog area. Plenty of nearby dining as well as adequate kitchen facilities for preparing your own meals. New Carpet in Living Room thanks to our toddler puppy, but they were very patient and understanding while addressing this issue also.
- Guest Amy, Scott, Shannon & TJ (Tucson, AZ / Eden, VT)
- Date of stay 11/01/12
- Review Submitted 01/14/13
Recommended for: Sightseeing, age 55+, pet owners, romantic getaway, girls getaway.
Owner response: We appreciate hearing from our guests and enjoy their comments When a guest writes a review we get a feeling for what is important to their comfort and happiness during their stay with us. We are always looking for ways to provide the best experience possible. We'll be posting new photos as we add new amenities. To our guests... "Thanks for the memories". Dee and Tom.
Stunning natural desert location, charming guest house
Stunning natural desert location, charming guest house
Enjoyed my extended stay at Casa Llunara. Location is exquisite - beyond beautiful. We caught the space shuttle transport over Tucson from the porch and admired the twinkling lights of Tucson in the valley (Tucson is a "dark skies" city). Hosts are darling and accommodating - excellent combination of privacy and attentiveness. Listing is accurate, property clean & well-maintained. Enjoyed convenience of washer/dryer. A car is a must! Approximately 15-20 minutes to downtown Tucson and no public transportation. A short walk to hiking/mountain biking/horseback trails at Tortolito trailhead.
- Guest Cindy H.
- Date of stay 08/06/12
- Review Submitted 11/04/12
Recommended for: Sightseeing, adventure seekers, age 55+, pet owners, romantic getaway, girls getaway.
Owner response: When a guest writes a review we appreciate the compliments, but also try to address any negatives. Someone asked if we had a BBQ grill. We did not, but by the next day we had a BBQ grill on the back porch, along with tools and a bag of charcoal. Just a simple request and one we were happy to fulfill. This is how we learn what we are doing right and what we might improve upon.
A peaceful location for a week of rest and relaxation!
A peaceful location for a week of rest and relaxation!
We enjoyed sitting on the patio watching the doves, quail and bunnies and soaking up the sun. This location was ideally located just a few miles off Interstate Hwy 10 which allowed us easy access to shopping and dining in nearby Tucson. We also appreciated being close to hiking trails at Sweetwater and Saguaro National Forest. Our host and hostess were very accommodating.
- Guest South Shore Duo (Amery, WI United States)
- Date of stay 02/29/12
- Review Submitted 03/21/12
Recommended for: Sightseeing, people with disabilities, age 55+, families with young children.
Owner response: A positive review from our guests is wonderful and what we hope for. But we also want to know how we can improve their time with us, be it a week or a month. Dee and Tom
We stayed here for 3 nights. The property is accurately described and is comfortable with a double & a single bed. It's quiet & private. It is convenient to downtown Tucson, to beautiful Saguaro West National Park & to Tucson Mt. Co. Park. The night sky is not obscured by lights and the city lights twinkle below. We saw a coyote and a javelina on morning walks. I'm going back.
- Guest Freddy (Madison, Wi)
- Date of stay 02/22/12
- Review Submitted 02/27/12
Recommended for: Sightseeing, age 55+, pet owners, romantic getaway, families with young children, girls getaway.
Owner response: Whether you are here for 3 nights or 3 months, we aim to please. One recent complaint was the lack of suitable ice cube storage in the freezer, and another was a safety issue with the kitchen chairs. Now there is a new ice bin in the freezer and we’ve purchased new chairs for the kitchen table. Dee & Tom
TUCSON,ARIZONA,the best little BIG city in the west.Your FUN Vacation Destination. 2013 HIGH SEASON RATES JAN-APRIL/NOV-DEC.$1395.MO/$495.WK /$95.NIGHT.2 night min. *Off Season SPECIAL! MAY-OCT 2013 $1195.MO/$450.WK/$90.NIGHT.2 night min. 2014 HIGH SEASON RATES JAN-APRIL/NOV-DEC.$1495.MO/$595.WK/$115.NIGHT.2 night min. CLEANING-$200/$50. May be refunded upon final inspection of cottage. PETS-$75.ea Non-Refundable. Damage Insurance-$75.Non-Refundable. Rates & Fees Subject To Change.
Note: Until confirmed, rates are subject to change without notice.
This owner accepts HomeAway payments.
Always use this free service to protect your payments up to $10,000 against fraud while keeping your financial information private. With HomeAway Payments, your credit card information is not seen by the owner or manager. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Call the owner to confirm booking request.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
- Nearest Airport: TUCSON INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT at 17 Miles
- Nearest Train: TUCSON at 8 Miles
- Nearest Motorway: INTERSTATE 10 at 5 Miles
- Nearest Beach: SAN DIEGO CALIFORNIA at 350 Miles
- Nearest Barpub: FAMOUS SAMS at 6 Miles
- Nearest Ski: MT LEMMON, TUCSON at 25 Miles
- Nearest Golf: SILVERBELL at 6 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: MOSAIC CAFE, RUSTY'S SPORTS BAR. at 5 Miles
Year Purchased: 1985
About the owner: Dee: I first visited Arizona in 1962. Left Illinois in a snowstorm and arrived in Tucson when the orange trees were in full bloom. It was love at first sight and a year later we were living here. The west side of Tucson has been my home since 1963. Raised 4 kids, 6 grandkids, 2 great-grands in this laid back western town. My husband Bill became ill in 1988 and died in 1999. I met Tom in 2011. He’s originally from Michigan but now he’s a full-time Tucsonan. He often plays on one of the many golf courses nearby. Guests are welcome to bring their clubs and join him. The photo is of Tom and me last December at Sabino Canyon in the Catalina Foothills. We took the Tram ride up the Canyon. You can see snow on Mt. Lemmon in the background. I am not fond of snow but it is a pretty sight here in the desert, and only lingers a day or so. Our favorite ritual is an evening walk around the neighborhood, greeting the neighbors, and spotting the Javelina family crossing the road. To end the day, we have supper on our deck, watching the Tucson Mountains turn orange, then purple as the sun sets, enjoying a glass of wine and listening to the quail chatter. Life is real sweet.
Why the Owner Chose Tucson Mountain Foothills:
My husband and I bought this acre of land in 1985. The main house was finished in 1986. In 1997 the guest house was built on the back half-acre for family members. In time they moved on and now my partner Tom and I welcome visitors to enjoy our unique desert lifestyle. I love the Southwest and hope to give our guests a taste of it, too, in the way we've decorated the Casita and grounds. It is a happy work in progress. You must come and see for yourself.
The Unique Benefits at this Cottage:
I would say some of the most unique benefits of this location is the easy access to the entire city and other destinations. The quiet will surprise you, and the night sky is so clear you can see the constellations. It seems like we are a million miles away from anywhere, yet hospitals and education, travel, shopping, dining and entertainment are just a short drive down the hill to the Freeway and all points east north and south. Oro Valley to the north of us is within 5 miles and Green Valley to the south is hour away. The University of Arizona, University Medical Center, Davis Monthan Air Base, Raytheon Missile Systems and Tucson International Airport are within 15-45 minutes from the cottage. Phoenix is 2 hours drive on Interstate 10; ASU in Tempe is an hour and a half. The Casita is separate and secluded from the main house, but we are nearby if needed. Privacy and comfort are most important for our guests. We aim to please YOU.
- Primary: 520-349-3389 Replies to inquiries sent promptly
- Fax: +1 520-743-2078 Anytime.
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Back porch seating, patio doors access living room
Hallway to bedrooms, office, bath, laundry and back door.
Master queen bed
Twin guest room
Bathroom vanity and linen closet
Laundry room, full size washer dryer
Tucson sunset, viewed from the cottage.
Saguaro in the wildflowers
Path from front parking area
Eat-in kitchen, side-by-side frig, gas stove, micro, everything you need.
Master bedroom seating
The 'Old Man' MesquiteTree, view from back porch.
VA Hospital in Tucson.
Driving Gates Pass in the Tucson Mountains
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2012.
Date last modified - Monday, November 18, 2013
2 Bedroom / 0 Bathroom
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.