The Marvel of Madaket
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:Contact owner
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:Yes
Madaket house description
Located Oceanfront and Creekside, on the West end of Nantucket, this home is perfect for everyone who has ever dreamed of a private beach house.
'Thistledew' is the name of this wonderful, private, perfectly located Nantucket home. Within a private compound, this home has the Atlantic Ocean and your private beach out the front door and the tranquility of Hither Creek and a private dock off the back deck. Madaket is not only the greatest Beach, it is a village with a small convenience store called The West End Market and a great new restaurant and bar called Millie's.
All within a couple of minutes walk from the house.
You can walk out your front door and walk along the Atlantic Ocean for as long as you want. If you walk to the West you will pass Smith's Point and then rarely see another human being until you have rounded the point of Esther's Island and walk along the shoreline of Nantucket Sound on your return. Great for birdwatchers and beachcombers.
Every night the as the sun sets into the ocean---Madaket is famous for the best sunsets on Nantucket, the sky ignites with sultry colors and an afterglow that is never the same twice and will never cease to amaze you.
Thistledew is about seven miles from the sometimes crowded and crazed downtown Nantucket. But, all the fabulous restaurants and great shops are accessible via Nantucket's Shuttle Bus and the bike path or car.
Keywords: Beach House
- Vacation Rental
The only difficulty is the two steps to get in the front door or one to access from the rear. Nantucket will provide beach wheelchairs and you can access the beach from your private path. The Town also offers "The Ride" door to door van service for elderly and disabled guests. This is in addition to "The Shuttle" which is about a five minute walk from the house. Both are free to elderly and disabled....moreless
Wonderful dogs with wonderful owners are always welcome. We ask you to be responsible for your pet on the property and the beaches. We expect that you will clean up after your dog inside and outside. Any accidents --that are not treated will be deducted from the security deposit....moreless
Non Smoking Only:
Please refrain from smoking in the house. If smoking outside we ask that you pick up any cigarette butts and place them in containers provided. We hope to keep the land as beautiful as we can....moreless
- Children Welcome:
Bedrooms: 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6, Beds for 6
- Queen size Beds (1) Master Bedroom has a queen size bed with anti-allergenic mattress toppers and synthetic down fiberbed, pillows and comforters. Huge closet and dressers., Double Beds (1) Actually a daybed in the third guest room. There is a pop-up trundle that can convert this bed to a queen or probably king sized bed or remain separate as twins., Twin or Single Beds (1) Guest room with two twins. A converter kit--foam insert allow these twins to become a king-size bed, if desired. King-sized linens are provided in the linens closet., Baby Cribs (1) Available if requested., Sleep Sofa or Futons (1) Aero-bed, queen-size, pillow-top and two giant sofas in the liviing room....moreless
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms
Kitchen & Dining
- Catering Available:
- Cooking Utensils:
All the best linens are provided and updated every year. New bedding and mattresses. New comfortable non-allergenic pillow top mattress toppers and Egyptian Cotton 400 to 600 thread cotton sheets. Bath towels and beach towels are well-stocked in the halway linen closet....moreless
Parking Off Street:
Our "Compound" off of Madaket Road is very off-street and private. You have access through a private drive that leads to your house on the Ocean.The only thing in front of you is the Atlantic Ocean and some beach grass....moreless
- Clothes Dryer:
- Washing Machine:
- This home is well outfitted with all the necessary conveniences and more, Expanded Basic Cable TV, DVD/CD Player, washer/dryer, dishwasher. All the cooking and dining necessities are provided and updated yearly, Quality new bed linens, bath and beach towels are all there for your use, Kayak and our private dock are down the path out the back door, Outdoor furniture, beach chairs and Weber Grill (BBQ), Private Gated Drive, Owner Lives Nearby, Safe, secluded area with privacy and oceanfront, Perfect for all ages, even teenagers love it here, They can bike or take the shuttle into town or wherever without Mom and Dad, or their car. The recent addition of The West End Market and Millie's Restaurant and Bar have made Madaket more fun and convenient for all. The Nantucket shuttle--known as The Wave-- is located at the same location as the store and restaurant. ...moreless
- Satellite / Cable:
- Video Library:
- DVD Player
- CD Player
- Mobile Phone:
- Wireless Internet:
- Broadband Access
- Deck / Patio:
- Outdoor Grill
Location & View
- Water View:
- Ocean View:
- Mountain Biking
- Basketball Court
- Deepsea Fishing
- Jet Skiing
- Pier Fishing
- Fly Fishing
- Surf Fishing
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Fitness Center
- Wildlife Viewing
- Horseback Riding
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Live Theater
- Medical Services
- Massage Therapist
- Scenic Drives
- Whale Watching
- Sight Seeing
- Private ocean beach access, Bay access, Beachcombing and Swimming, clamming, Lounging, Reading in peace and quiet, Birdwatching, Bocce, volleyball, soccer, Kitesurfing, Windsurfing and general summertime fun!, The Spring and Fall seasons are more and more popular each year, May and June are delightful for the weather and outdoor activities, The town's just waking up to the seasonal influx and the smiles are genuine, The month of September and even October are superb, the water is still warm, the weather is usually great, there are fewer children and teenagers and the whole island seems a bit more peaceful...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
We just returned from a fantastic week at Thistle Dew. The house was clean, well-equipped, comfortable and exactly what we wanted. It is right above the beach and we were lulled to sleep at night with the sound of the waves breaking. The view from the back deck is lovely. Our teenager loved going over to Millie's for ice cream. The dogs had a wonderful time running on the beach and chasing rabbits on the property. The owner is right next door if you need anything, but there is ample privacy. It is the perfect beach cottage for a family!
- Guest lovesapun (Philadelphia, PA)
- Date of stay 07/20/13
- Review Submitted 07/28/13
Recommended for: Romantic getaway, pet owners, families with young children, families with teenagers, girls getaway.
Owner response: Thank You! We enjoyed your stay and hope that we'll see you again next summer for an even longer stay.
THISTLEDEW 2013....$ 5425. PER WEEK Peak (6/14/2012 to 9/15/2012) April, May to June 14:..$4200./week. September 15 through November ...... $4200/week. A fabulous time of year. Minimum Rental 1 Week. Preference given to 2 Weeks or More. The housekeeper's fee is now included in the above rates. No other extra charges. Go for it! CALL OR E-MAIL ME ASAP.YOU DON'T NEED A CAR! Additional days if available will be charged on a per diem basis
Note: Until confirmed, rates are subject to change without notice.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Year Purchased: 1993
About the owner: Our family has loved and lived in Madaket since the 1960's. At first renting a tiny cottage near the Ocean. We loved the beauty of the island and the Ocean. Madaket is located at the West end of Nantucket and the sun sinks into the ocean with no obstructions. Our parents purchased some of the land surrounding our cottage to keep things open and private. Our daughters are now 20 and 24 and they have spent every summer of their lives here. Now I am able to spend more time on the island---and recognize that Summer isn't everything. The Spring and Fall are spectacular. I can't imagine not hearing the sounds of the Ocean. Every day my miniature dachshund and I comb the beach for rocks and seashells and walk around Esther's island.
Why the Owner Chose Madaket:
We love the Ocean and Madaket offers the best of the island. Surf and Sunsets out one door and Nantucket Sound and Hither Creek are on the other side of the property. Madaket is a real beach town and a very special place. Casual and friendly for families and couples as well.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
Our houses in Madaket offer privacy and convenience. The ocean is steps away from the house, you can choose to be with others- the lifeguards and the public beach are steps away to the East and complete privacy is yours right outside your door. You can walk for miles on the beach picking up shells and rocks and swimming in some of the greatest ocean water you will ever have the chance to experience. The bike paths of Nantucket begin right at the end of your driveway and traverse the entire island. If you should end up biking to 'Sconset, eating lunch and not wishing to ride back--no problem, the Nantucket Shuttle will take you and your bikes and even your dog back to Madaket and leave you off at The West End General Store and Restaurant---the end of the Madaket Route. From there you can pick up something to drink or eat and walk back to your beach house---about two or three minutes down the street.
- Primary: Cell: (508) 561-6959, Winter Home#: (508) 651-1073
- Secondary: (508) 228-2445 (The Sea Breeze) (Massachusetts, USA)
Thistledew as seen from Hither Creek and our dock at twilight.
Living room of Thistledew--to the right of the photo above.
The Beach in front of the house
View from the front door looking toward Madaket Harbor and the deck.
Thistledew Interior dining area facing Hither Creek
The kitchen at The Thistledew. GREAT VIEWS FROM EVERY WINDOW.
There have been visitors to this page since
the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2004.
Date last modified - Monday, July 29, 2013