Grand Villa Near Torcello: Walled Garden, 7BR, Pool, Lagoon Luxury
You sent a message to this manager.
- Minimum stay:Contact manager
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Venice villa description
Here lies magic. The villa itself is the fully restored Gothic Guesthouse of the Convent of Saint John the Evangelist founded in the fifth century. It boasts a swimming pool, grape arbor, extensive grounds, six bedrooms and private boat service in the Northern Lagoon of Venice. Venice itself is 45 minutes away, close enough to visit when you like, and the villa is always close enough for you to escape and find peace. You’ll find the Villa's elegant first floor Venetian style salon just one of the many places you can all gather or escape to, with views of the canal from one Romansque window or a spectacular vision of the garden from the gothic porch straight across from it. On one side of the salon is a library for sitting quietly and reading and on the other side is a television room with cable television. Both these rooms overlook the canal side terrace where you can enjoy your evening meal (it’s perfect in the evening when the sun goes down). The porch in the salon overlooks the swimming pool, a grape loggia, vineyard, small orchard and manicured lawns that extend as far your eye can see.
The Villa San Giovanni is the ideal place for your extended family or a group of close friends to come and relax, swim in the pool, and find your own special corner to read and nap and chat and play games. The grounds offer a myriad of places for every need: a spacious gazebo behind the swimming pool, ping pong table and children’s cabin in a small wood of tamarisk trees, a grape arbor for strolling through at night, and an ample, well kept lawn, perfect for field games such as cricket, croquet, and touch football. The house offers a perfect Venetian stucco dining room for breakfast that will seat fifteen. But you will want to abandon the dining room after that. Lunch is best in the grape arbored loggia that gives onto the garden, and your evening meal is always memorable after sunset on the brick patio in front of the house along the canal. Each dining solution offers easy access to a large, well equipped kitchen with two refrigerators, a freezer, ice cream maker, blender, and every pot and pan and kitchen tool you can imagine. There is a small walled yard for hanging laundry outside the kitchen.
The bedrooms are highly individual and will suit all sorts of people. The ground floor has two bedrooms: one with a double bed and door that gives onto the garden, and one with twin beds. These share a large bathroom with shower and tub.
The first floor also has two bedrooms. A grandiose suite off the television room has an ample double bed made of two twin mattresses side by side in a room with gorgeous Gothic windows that give onto the side garden. It has its own bathroom with shower and tub, and a short passage to a small dressing room and wardrobe. Off the library still on the first floor on the other side of the salon, is a bedroom with two twin beds and ample closet space, small desk and its own bathroom with Turkish tiles that gives onto the back garden.
The second floor is for the younger people, and its three bedrooms are ideal for a mix of friendly kids, singles and couples. There are two second floor bathrooms, one with a shower and one with a bathtub. A long hall has ample closet space. The first bedroom with twin beds gives onto the altana, or Venetian roof top porch that overlooks the entire property. The middle room has three twin beds, and is ideal for kids that might do well with slight monitoring, or carefree singles. The porthole bedroom beyond it has twin beds and air conditioning.
The Villa San Giovanni has the space and place for everyone in your group, whether you want to congregate and share, or slip off and enjoy quiet time in a bewitching setting.
The villa has maid service is four hours daily, and there is the possibility of getting your own cook as well. The villa comes with a boat and boatswain at your disposition for exploring the lesser known islands of the Lagoon and ports one the Mainland, as well grocery shopping on nearby Burano or further afield at Treporti.
- 3 story
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Housekeeper Included
The ground floor with bathroom, bedroom, kitchen, dining room, and 'outdoor rooms' pool, loggia, porch, arbor, lawn, and gardens has no barriers. Access to the first floor and second floor could not be considered handicapped accessible given the staircases....moreless
- Children Welcome:
- Events Allowed
- Pets Not Allowed
- Clothing Optional/Nude Sunbathing Nearby
- Smoking Allowed
Bedrooms: 7 Bedrooms, Sleeps 15, Beds for 15
Bathrooms: 5 Bathrooms
Kitchen & Dining
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Catering Available:
- Pantry Items:
- Dining Area Seats:
- Cooking Utensils
- Washing Machine:
- Linens Provided
- CD Player
- Ping Pong Table
- Video Library
- DVD Player
- Satellite / Cable
Pool & Spa
- Private Pool
- Lawn / Garden:
- Outdoor Grill
- Away From It All
Location & View
- Water View
- Wildlife Viewing
- Sight Seeing
- Medical Services
- Live Theater
- Bird Watching
- The Villa San Giovanni is on its own private island of San Giovanni Evangelista, located next to the island of Torcello in the Northern Lagoon of Venice. People settled the island of Torcello in the sixth century making it the cradle of Venetian civlization.Once the most populated island in the lagoon, Torcello now counts 24 year-round residents. You and your guests will comprise the entire population of the Island of San Giovanni Evangelista while you are there on vacation. There is a ferry service every half hour from seven until midnight every day so you can explore the nearby picturesque island of Burano with its brightly colored houses and ladies sitting on their doorsteps making needle lace in the sun. Burano will become your nearby village, with bakeries, grocers, fishmonger, butcher, pharmacy, banks, post office and market; it also has several cafes, trattorias and resturants. For more intensive shopping, you can take the convenient ferry to nearby Treporti on the mainland with its supermarkets. It is always easy to make the 45-minute trip into Venice where you will find just about everything you could want, from concerts and churches and to a top rate hospital, museums and a vast array of activities. The ferry trip back from Venice at sunset to your enchanted villa with swimming pool is something you will not want to miss. You cannot see where the sky ends and the water begins. Torcello is tiny but it offers a wildlife reserve, the Romanesque Church of Santa Fosca and the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta with its stunning interior facade mosaic of the Last Judgment. Torcello also boasts a museum of Venetian History, two or three local restaurants, an antique store and the world renowned inn Locanda Cipriani, all within leisurely walking distance from your vacation home. Torcello is especially beautiful at night, when all the tourists have left and the square and quays of Torcello basically belong to you. The highlight of the Venetian summer season every year is the Festa del Redentore in mid-July, and I'll help you arrange for a taxi (if you need help!) to take you into Venice and watch the fireworks reflected in the basin of Saint Mark. The highlight of the winter season of course is the Venetian Carnival, a two-month long, outdoor party with masqueraders dressed up in costumes that range from 18th century perrukes and bustles to phantasmagoric displays of brocade-sand sequins and tulle, and of course, masks on everyone. The real enchantment of Venice and the lagoon however is living in a civilization that dates back over three millennial, with marble palaces and cobblestoned streets, and a water-scape made of endless sky reflecting in the water all around you every time you lift your eyes or take two steps to go somewhere. ...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
This property does not have any reviews yet.
8,500 euro a week. 30%due upon reservation, the balance due a month before. Rental begins weekly, from Saturday to Saturday. Prorated days may be added after the the initial week.
Note: Until confirmed, rates are subject to change without notice.
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Sorry this information is not available. Please contact the manager for more information.
Year Purchased: 1974
About: I am an American who lives in Milan. As a friend of the owners of this home, I have spent many, many pleasant weeks and months enjoying the reclusive splendor of this paradise on earth. It's one of the most relaxing, rich places I have ever been, and it really does feel like home to me each time I go back. whether they invite me, or I rent it with friends.
The Villa San Giovanni is a family home, and you realize that as soon as you enter it. It has the warmth and touch of a building where children have grown up and adults have played. Its setting in the lagoon is ideal for a group of people with different interests: if you want to go into Venice or to the Lido to play golf or go to the beach, or the Burano to go shopping, it is easy to do. But, if you want to stay at the villa, sleep late, have a leisiurely breakfast, and go for a swim before and after lunch, you have plenty of space to do that in, too. There is just something about the culture of Venice, the Serenissima who has lived on through three millennial that pervades the furnishings and stuccoed walls of this home. Every time I look back on my vacation there, it seems to have been a beautiful dream. San Giovanni has all the history and charm of Venice without the crush of the tourists.
The Unique Benefits at this Villa:
It is really not too expensive when compared with other opportunities in Venice and you can really do just as you please: swim, read, sight-see, cook, go to restaurants, nap and talk with your close friends and loved ones, or get to know new friends even better.
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
After you arrive, it takes people about four minutes to get to the pool.
The simple elegance of a few beautiful things greet you in the foyer.
The ground floor double bedroom door leads to the side garden - great for kids.
Lunch under the loggia is always relaxed and cool.
The other end of the salon has a shallow balcony that ovelrooks the garden.
There is nothing like awakening to the sun in the first floor suite.
The grape arbor under the salon's balcony invites you back for lunch.
The canal side terrace will be set up wth tables for your evening meal.
What home in Venice would be complete without a model boat?
A cozy twin bed in the Altana bedroom on the second floor
The porthole bedroom looks off to Burano in lovely air condiitoning.
Hard to believe but quick to your heart: the village island of Burano.
The canal side of the house with the main entrance. Your taxi drops you here.
The dining room has two tables for ease of arrival and departure at breakfast.
The altana on the roof is great for sitting and watching the sunset.
The first floor salon's built-in sofas invite napping, reading, or chatting.
The television room with Great Mother Sofa, gives onto the salon.
The Library has the perfect light for reading if you want to sit indoors.
The kitchen is homey and easy to use.
Torcello's Museum, Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta, and Church of Santa Fosca
Staying in the villa will give you another vision of the Venetian lagoon: nature
The pool, lagoon, grape arbor, and fountain from the altana porch.
This canal leads from the villa to the Bay of Burano.
Arriving at the Villa or going to Venice means a scintillating boat ride.
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2012.
Date last modified - Thursday, November 21, 2013
7 Bedroom / 5 Bathroom
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.