Tucked Away – 'a Nostalgic Treasure'
You sent a message to this manager.
- Minimum stay:7 nights
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Garden City Beach house description
This cozy little beach cottage is a true gem like no other. It is literally within walking distance to the beautiful Atlantic Ocean.
Nestled underneath old live oak trees you will find this jewel located in a quiet section of the beach. Several updates were recently added to help make your stay at the beach even more pleasant and comfortable. Many of the things we offer are not found in other rental properties.
Built in 1952 by the Anderson family, this home has true 'beach house character' and it's nostalgic appeal will lure you back for many years to come.
The large screened porch offers two ceiling fans and six comfortable wooden rocking chairs. These rockers are not your typical rockers, they are genuine 'Kennedy' rocking chairs.
This particular style of rocker was first recommended by physician Janet Travell in 1955 to John F. Kennedy when he was a young senator from Massachusetts. He suffered from constant back problems from a war injury. She believed that a rocking chair relieved tension in the lower back by keeping the muscles moving, contracting and relaxing.
As President, Kennedy loved the rocker so much that his aides would bring it on Air Force One when he traveled around the country and the world.
Additionally, there are no stairs to climb! This beach house is ground level which makes it nice for the entire family, especially for grandma and grandpa! To make your walk to the beach easier, located on the screen porch is a sturdy, well built, steel mesh wagon to load up with your beach chairs, umbrella, toys and coolers. Fishermen can park their 25' boat/trailer in yard and still have ample space for several cars.
For golf cart, bikes, yard games, etc., there is a Beach Rental shop conveniently located just minutes down the street.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Children Welcome:
Bedrooms: 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 7, Beds for 5-7
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms
Kitchen & Dining
- Cooking Utensils:
- Coffee Maker:
- Dining Area Seats:
- Ice Maker
- Air Conditioning:
- Accessible large outside deck storage box just added to hold beach toys, chairs, umbrellas, mats, pails/shovels, etc. left by family and past visitors - the condition of these items vary. A previous renter donated some things which is what started this collection. A 3 minute walk (about a 1/4 block) will get you to the ocean water....moreless
- Satellite / Cable:
- Deck / Patio
- Outdoor Grill
- Massage Therapist
- Medical Services
- Sight Seeing
- Scenic Drives
- Paddle Boating
- Fitness Center
- Surf Fishing
- Scuba Diving Or Snorkeling
- Deepsea Fishing
- Jet Skiing
- Roller Blading
- Pier Fishing
- Recreation Center
- Water Parks
- Theme Parks
- Botanical Garden
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Live Theater
- Winery Tours
- Eco Tourism
- Bird Watching
- Gambling Casinos
- Outlet Shopping
- Horseback Riding
- Miniature Golf
- Wildlife Viewing
- Just minutes from your 'Tucked - Away' home away from home there is para-sailing, banana boat rides, jet ski rentals, and two nearby Marinas (Marlin Quay & Crazy Sister Marina) which offers tours and deep sea fishing charters. The famous BrookGreen Gardens is only 10 minutes away. Wild Water & Wheels water park is only 5 minutes away, plus many, many other attractions and shows....moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
The property was just as decribed. We enjoyed our stay very much. The house was just the right size and in a quiet neighborhood. We really enjoyed the closeness to the beach. We would consider staying at this property in the future.
- Guest Jeanette N. (Walker, WV)
- Date of stay 07/20/13
- Review Submitted 07/30/13
Recommended for: Romantic getaway, sightseeing, age 55+, girls getaway.
Exellent for families
Exellent for families
We very much enjoyed our stay in this charming beach house. The house is closer to the beach than the pics appear (don't need a golf cart) and there was plenty of room. Old house, but very nicely redone. The only complaint was the small ALL IN ONE washer and dryer, but my wife figured it out and it served it's purpose. Bruce is a great owner and very reachable on his phone and was very accomodating. I would have gave it 5 stars if it had a better washer and dryer. VERY comfortable. affordable and close to sand. Great for a family of 4
- Guest Jakedawg30 (West Virginia)
- Date of stay 07/13/13
- Review Submitted 07/22/13
Recommended for: Tourists without a car, families with teenagers, families with young children.
Manager response: Thank you for the wonderful review. I am Bill Anderson, owner of “Tucked Away”. Mr. Bruce Schaefer is the (most excellent) Property Manager that you spoke of in your review. I regret that you stumbled with my “all in one” washer as it is a very pricy type that you find in the million dollar RV buses. For that reason the washer/dryer is not advertised as being available and has an optional lock-out on it, but I have permitted its access as a surprise rental “perk” to such nice people as you all are. It is hoped that you will consider coming back as I continue to make more improvements for all to enjoy with every trip! Thank you, again for the kind words!! Bill
Everything it should be and more!
Everything it should be and more!
We have been going to Tucked Away with family for many years, the house is in an ideal spot that allows being away from the main road traffic noise, yet is very close to beach access only a few minutes stroll down the driveway and up the road. I usually bring my 25' center console boat and after backing it down the drive there is plenty of room to still get vehicles to the house. Not many other rentals have that much room for a boat. Murrell's Inlet is only a few miles down the road and I recommend getting fishing reports and supplies at Garden City Bait and Tackle. If taking the family out for an evening cruise, you can dock at any of the waterfront dining restaurants (we like Creek Ratz) along the Marsh Walk. Every time we go, there are new improvements to be found! The most recent was the outdoor beach shower and pavers to get you back to the house with clean feet! The owner really cares about the comfort of the guests and it really shows with all the attention to detail. The Pier at Garden City is another great place to hang each evening, go see what is being caught, and enjoy the two live bands they have, especially at the end of the pier. Being on ground level (not on stilts) is a bonus as well, no stairs to deal with and the house offers great access to anyone who may have issues with stairs during their stay. We will be back, it is a great bargain compared to the other rentals that are available....thank you "Tucked Away!"
- Guest Scott K (Sanford, NC)
- Date of stay 05/25/13
- Review Submitted 06/17/13
Recommended for: People with disabilities, age 55+, families with teenagers, families with young children.
This vacation house was an Excellent choice for our family.VERY relaxing,quiet,and close to everything you need.Definately looking forward to returning!!!
- Guest Tn Vols (East Tn)
- Date of stay 07/28/12
- Review Submitted 08/08/12
Recommended for: Families with teenagers, families with young children.
Cozy cottage sheltered by nice old trees
Cozy cottage sheltered by nice old trees
We love this house! Best place we've ever stayed! So close to beach access and Myrtle Beach attractions! We loved the screened porch and we could see fireworks on the beach so easily. This wonderful cottage is tucked back from the main road giving the lucky inhabitants privacy yet ease of getting to the beach is a very short walk away. Short drive down the road puts you in town with lots of stores and places to eat. Cozy house with so much character! My family hopes to return every year and look forward to making memories here. :)
- Guest Family of 4 Beach Bunnies (Charlotte)
- Date of stay 05/28/12
- Review Submitted 06/21/12
Recommended for: Romantic getaway, sightseeing, people with disabilities, tourists without a car, age 55+, families with teenagers, families with young children, girls getaway, adventure seekers.
Manager response: It is comments like yours that make it all worthwhile letting others visit the family beach house! Your interest in returning lets me know I am on the right track with recent improvements - which I plan to continue with. Thank you so very much! I honestly love the place too.
A true "Old Time" beach cottage experience
A true "Old Time" beach cottage experience
I vacationed in this house in the 1970's while at college at Appalachian State University. I knew the son of the owners. I always considered this house one of the true relics of what a beach cottage should be and that was almost 40 years ago. The owners had relatives in two houses bounding this property so you could say that they owned a good chunk of this part of Garden City Beach. This house is one of the few homes in Garden City that actually survived Hurrican Hazel in 1954! Today, the owner is the son and is a friend still. As it happens, I came down here to live 15 years ago and I live just 3 miles away. I have always enjoyed visits and hanging out on the screened porch rocking the time away. The pine paneling throughout the house takes me back to my home "den" growing up. The description says "3rd" row but the fact is, the ocean is just within "earshot." It is about a three minute walk. Every year, we look forward to July 4th celebrations as the golf cart parade and the fireworks on the beach are unique to Garden City. Also, parking on this property is ample and even has room for someone towing a boat with easy access to the ocean down in Murrells Inlet, about 10 minutes away. The restaurants there in Murrells Inlet and take out or sit in at Sadie Maes in Garden City have always been popular with our group of friends. The Conch Cafe on the ocean is within easy walking distance also. You could not ask for a better location!!! The owner has spent a great amount of money updating this house to get it to the point of allowing others to enjoy. Countless improvements have been made but the original feeling of the old time beach experience remains. This house is secluded within other homes and it really does give you the sense of reclusion. Perfect for a small family, married couple, or anyone wanting to experience life at the beach the way it was 50 years ago with modern twists thrown in. Enjoy and take care of this unique property that is "one of a kind!!!"
- Guest Eric (Myrtle Beach)
- Date of stay 05/19/12
- Review Submitted 06/05/12
Recommended for: Romantic getaway, sightseeing, age 55+, families with young children, girls getaway, adventure seekers.
Manager response: Your kind words are well recieved. It means a great deal to me to protect the ambiance that has carried us thru the years here, and your comments indicate a successful effort! Thank you!
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
|My Standard Rate
7 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
Cleaning is included!
50% reservation required with remaining 50% due 30 days prior to stay
- Refundable Damage Deposit: $200
- Tax Rate 12%
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Sorry this information is not available. Please contact the manager for more information.
Year Purchased: 1952
About: This beach house was built by the Anderson family and used as their vacation home. Now residing in Sanford, North Carolina, son, Bill Anderson works hard to maintain the integrity of his family's cherished beach home. To this day he still loves it's charm and closeness to the seashore!
Why Garden City Beach:
Close proximity to the beach is only one of many reasons this property was chosen for location of our family beach house. This very spacious property was a wonderful choice for family gatherings and activities. During a time when most beach homes depended on the coastal breeze to cool their homes, this property had several old oak trees which graciously caressed our home and kept it cooler than most oceanfront dwellings.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
• A true original beach house atmosphere not easily found elsewhere • Third row back from Ocean • Sleeps 5 adults comfortably • Additionally sleeps up to 2 children with inclusion of the queen sleeper sofa • Back-door kitchen trash pick-up • Endless tank-less hot water heater • 2 USB wall outlets beside front living room door • Ceiling fans in every room • Remote controlled window A/C s in every room • Tucked Away on interior of block for less noise, more privacy • Larger yard space than most nearby properties • Beautiful grand old oak trees provide ample shade • Two outdoor ceiling fans on large porch • Six front porch Carolina rockers (aka Kennedy Rockers) • House was built in 1952 - mostly with ¾” tongue and groove knotty pine • Private sturdy built additional outdoor shower offers hot and cold running water • TWC basic cablevision (for summer months only) • Dual high definition rooftop antennas provide year round HD television • TWC Wireless (Wi-Fi) Internet • Queen sleeper sofa in living room with new topper pad • Original Bose Radio with remote • New Full XL in middle bedroom and new twin XL in back bedroom • 8-Units w/ 240 watts each of motion sensing security lights wrapped around house provide added security • Two outside rinse-off stations for washing off beach sand before entering house • Old family beach house, first rented mid-summer 2012 • XM Radio antenna connection embedded next to living room A/C - fits most XM radios • New wooden 2 inch blinds through-out (except kitchen) • New counter top microwave • New 12 cup auto-shutoff coffee maker • A large wheeled steel mesh wagon to transport beach items is provided • Ground level house sits on thick concrete base (no stairs) • New flooring through-out, both carpet and vinyl luxury tile • Large outside deck storage box added for beach toys, folding chairs, umbrellas, etc. • Sorry - NO PETS for dander free household
- Primary: +1 843-421-2363
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Completely remodeled exterior. Spacious property to play yard games.
Spacious screen porch – two ceiling fans and six Kennedy Rockers.
Living/Dining area leads to screen porch.
Bedroom 2 has twin captains beds (one is an XL) and contains a half bath.
New pavers and rinse off stations
Inside the outside shower
Renter accessible beach toys, chairs, umbrellas, etc.
From Driveway to Beach
Living room – Cable, DVR, Internet, two USB wall outlet, XM Radio antenna
Master has Double XL bed and a twin bed against opposite wall.
Kitchen has nice refrigerator, stove, microwave, coffeemaker, cookware, etc.
Remodeled large outside shower
New grill 22' Weber at kitchen door
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2012.
Date last modified - Friday, September 13, 2013
2 Bedroom / 2 Bathroom
Get an instant quote
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.