Luxury Turf Roofed Guest Dwelling on the Island of Islay
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:Contact owner
- Pets considered:Ask Owner
- Wheel chair accessible:Yes
Port Ellen cottage description
Our beautiful new building provides the ultimate ecoluxury guest experience. Turf-roofed and clad in local stone the dwelling has been built in a place of outstanding natural beauty by local builders. Owing resonances to traditional highland thatch roofed cottages as well as earlier neolithic homes, the buildings are designed to be in sympathy with their rural setting and appear to flow out of the landscape.
The Coillabus Guest Dwelling sleeps 2-4 in two king size and / twin or superking bedrooms each ensuite with double ended bath and walk in shower. Using air source technology the heated Caithness slab and Oak flooring ensure a comfortable temperature throughout - summer and winter. The cottage also has a woodburning stove for added romance and atmosphere.
Guests can enjoy the beauty of clear and star filled winter skies from the luxury of the cedar hot tub filled with spring water. And after a day out walking, fishing or enjoying a water sport you can ease the aches of the day in the bespoke sauna.
The Dwelling is simply but stylishly furnished with some iconic pieces exemplifying the best of European and Scottish design from the curved sofa and British made designer chairs to our blinds curtains and throws in our own tweed from the Islay Woollen Mill. The mill that provided the cloth for the film BraveHeart.
A wide galleried window the full width of the cottage affords amazing panoramic views and sunset s throughout the year and whatever the weather.
- Vacation Rental
- Non Smoking Only
- Wheelchair Accessible
- Alternative Lifestyle
Bedrooms: 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 4, Beds for 4
Bathrooms: 2.25 Bathrooms
Kitchen & Dining
- Catering Available
- Linens Provided:
- Washing Machine:
- Parking Off Street
- Parking For RV/Boat/Trailer
Pool & Spa
- Outdoor Grill
Location & View
- Fly Fishing
- Medical Services
- Massage Therapist
- Pier Fishing
- Mountain Biking
- Freshwater Fishing
- Winery Tours
- Wildlife Viewing
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Scenic Drives
- Horseback Riding
- Sight Seeing
- Eco Tourism
- Bird Watching
- Coillabus is situated on the Oa Peninsula on the Hebridean Island of Islay. The island is reknowned for its single malt whisky distilleries including Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Bowmore, Bruichladdich and Caolila and some superb whisky tours can be arranged. The owner's grandfather was a maltman at the now closed Port Ellen Distillery. There is an 18 hole championship natural links golf course at Machrie: we have wonderful bird watching with resident Golden Eagles flying over the guest dwelling on a regular basis; wild life including red deer, feral goats and otters; and miles of sandy beaches. The area is rich in history from standing stones, neolithic chambered cairns, the superb Celtic Kildalton cross, through Finlaggan the ancient seat of the Lords of the Isles to many ruins once inhabited by Scottish emigrants particularly to Canada. Some of our own relatives (including Calders and MacDougalls) emigrated to Ontario. The Family History Society hold parish records and are happy to help with research. Hand made whisky soaps, silk batiks, potters, furniture makers and photographers all provide beautiful gifts and souvenirs. Pony Trekking, trout fishing and wildlife tours can all be arranged. ...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
This property does not have any reviews yet.
Introductory Rates for 2012 June 2012 Early Bird rate £1400 per week July to October 2012 £1600 per week November to December excluding Festive Season £995 Christmas £1600 per week; New Year £1800 Short breaks may be available from £300 per night High Season £220 Nov and Dec All prices include taxes
Note: Until confirmed, rates are subject to change without notice.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Sorry this information is not available. Please contact the owner for more information.
Year Purchased: 2012
About the owner: The Dwelling is built on our family hill farm which my family has farmed for four generations. I grew up on the Oa and divide my time between Islay and Kilmelford near Oban.
Why the Owner Chose Port Ellen:
We have long had a vision to provide superb eco-friendly guest accommodation and allow others to enjoy the privilige of our unspoilt and special location.
The Unique Benefits at this Cottage:
We are committed to providing a stylish eco-friendly base for your holiday experience on Islay. We've used natural materials where possible including local stone, sheep's wool insulation, caithness slab flooring and turf roofs to ensure the building feels as good as it looks.
- Primary: UK +01852 200 565
Relax in your own private sauna
Sleep like royalty our mattresses are from Hypnos who supply beds to the Queen
The Singing Sands beach is ten minutes away
China from Sophie Conran for Port Merion and cutlery from Arthur Price
View to Glenastle Loch
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2012.
Date last modified - Sunday, June 02, 2013
2 Bedroom / 2.25 Bathroom
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.