'Rockbound'-Essence of Maine Coastal Living
You sent a message to this manager.
- Minimum stay:Contact manager
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:No
New Harbor house description
Our home, originally built as a cottage in the 1920's and refurbished in the 70's and again in the 1990's retains the 'cottage feeling' while offering the conveniences of a 4 season home. Located on Long Cove Point on the Pemaquid Peninsula which juts out into the ocean
between the fishing communities of New Harbor and Round Pond Harbor. It begins with a sandy beach and ends with a stretch of granite outcroppings which are the source of spectacular surf.
Rockbound is perched on a small knoll above the rocks and surf. Days begin with awesome sunrises, panoramic views of the ocean, the islands (Monhegan being the most well known),the Camden hills in the distance and always the sounds and smells of the ocean abound. A lower deck extends from lawn's edge out over the rocks - a favorite spot for lobster bakes, morning coffee, sunbathing, catching up on one's reading, or star gazing at night.Rosa Ragosa and bayberry bushes define the sides and front of property, while a 3 tiered flower garden lines the walkway to the lower deck.
The feeling inside the house has been likened to that of being on the bridge of a ship-with an open design and cathedral ceilings, ocean visible from the kitchen, living and dining rooms. Attention has been paid in preserving the New England coastal heritage-authentic sea captain's chests, pine bureaus, claw footed bath tub, original art by Maine artists, braided rugs, wide pine flooring-all capturing the 'cottage feeling' while offering the conveniences of today's lifestyle.
Chamberlain and New Harbor are part of the historic Pemaquid Peninsula, originally inhabited by the Wawenock Indians with their chief 'Samoset' who befriended the pilgrims in the 1620's.(www.friendsofcolonialpemaquid.org).It has always been a working fishing community, and also a community of second home owners, all conscious of it's heritage and aware of its place in the early history of New England.
Fort William Henry,Colonial Pemaquid,preservation of the ancient oyster shell heaps, maintaining the Pemaquid lighthouse-all important concerns for 'the locals' and offer our visitors a unique glimpse back in time.
Unique Benefits of this 4 Season Home: Watching the lobstermen pull their traps every morning. Listening to the bell buoys ringing out as they serve as signals to all boaters. Enjoying the chance to see, smell and feel the ocean up close and personal. Being able to walk around the point safely any time day or night, not worrying about traffic. Being able to go to the small sandy beach and put in a kayak or canoe,take a quick swim or just spread out a blanket on the little beach and watch the seagulls or harbor seals perform, are additional benefits of living on Long Cove Point.
- 2000 sq. ft.
- 2 story
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Pets Considered:
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Non Smoking Only
- Children Welcome
Bedrooms: 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 5, Beds for 5
- Large masterbedroom facing East with gorgeous views of islands and Camden Hills.Wall to wall white burber carpet,lined draperies with side door onto deck. 2nd bedroom,adjacent to master bedroom also with white burber carpet,slider onto upper deck. Each bedroom decorated with Maine art.3rd bedroom is on 1st floor and has a double bed with storage closet and cozy chair for sitting....moreless
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms
Kitchen & Dining
- Coffee Maker:
- Cooking Utensils
- Pantry Items
- Dishes & Utensils
- Living Room seats 8:
- Fitness Room / Equipment:
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Music Library:
- Satellite / Cable:
- Game Room:
- DVD Player
- Deck / Patio:
- Lawn / Garden:
- Porch / Veranda:
Location & View
- Deepsea Fishing
- Medical Services
- Massage Therapist
- Equestrian Events
- Mountain Biking
- Basketball Court
- Rock Climbing
- Fly Fishing
- Freshwater Fishing
- Pier Fishing
- Fitness Center
- Recreation Center
- Live Theater
- Botanical Garden
- Sight Seeing
- Miniature Golf
- Whale Watching
- Horseback Riding
- Bird Watching
- Scenic Drives
- This area of Maine coast is especially rich in early history.Pemaquid settlement predates Plymouth,with Chief Samoset and the Abenaki Indians welcoming new settlers.Colonial Pemaquid,Ft.William Henry and the surrounding excavations verify this early settlement.History buffs will be enchanted with all these new discoveries! Pemaquid Lighthouse is a MUST.Located on a dramatic outcropping of granite,showing the tremendous geological activity over the decades.Located there also is the Fishermen's museum and art gallery- both exceptionally well done. Pemaquid Beach is a beautiful white sandy horseshoe shaped beach surrounded with dunes and sea oats.There are now gardens featuring native plants,a well stocked concession stand,showers,rental equipment-everything needed to complete a great day of sun and fun. Nature trails are constantly being cleared and developed.Bring the binoculars(furnished with the house) and watch for blue herons,egrets,eagles,woodpeckers,rabbits and if lucky,the occasional new born deer. Trips to watch the puffins,get up close and personal with the seals as they slide off their resting spots and even a day trip to Monhegan Island are just a few of the special things to do. It has been said that one can visit this area and do nothing but sit and 'take it all in' and leave completely refreshed and renewed.'Life the way it should be'. ...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
This property does not have any reviews yet.
Off-Season. May 1 - June 29 $1800/wk 10% discount for 21 day rental In-Season - June 29 - Sept 9 $2350/wk 10% discount for 21 day rental Off-Season Sep 9-Nov 1 $1800/wk, 3 night minimum - In Season @350/night 3 night minimum - Off Season @275/night 7% Maine Lodging Tax $300.00 Refundable Damage Deposit Tax Rate: 7.0%
Note: Until confirmed, rates are subject to change without notice.
This manager accepts: Credit cards.
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details. Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Sorry this information is not available. Please contact the manager for more information.
- Nearest Airport: portland international at 60 Miles
- Nearest Motorway: route 32 at 0.5 Miles
- Nearest Beach: long cove beach at 0.25 Miles
- Nearest Golf: wawenock golf club at 6 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: shaws wharf at 2 Miles
Year Purchased: 1973
About: We are natives having been born here and gone to school here.After college,moving away,but the pull of life around the sea was just too great and so moved back and started a business and raised our family.
Why New Harbor:
It was a dream to be able to buy this piece of property,sitting atop a knoll,next to crashing surf and on a private peninsula.These pieces of property rarely,if ever,go on the market.It was our good fortune to be 'in the right place at the right time'.We will be forever grateful!
The Unique Benefits at this House:
The most outstanding thing about this house is the view and what surrounds it.Imagine hearing and feeling the power of the ocean as it continually comes in over and then recedes back over the rocks as it has done thru the ages.Sunrises,early morning fog,working lobsterman hauling traps,rough or serenely still waters-all this and more is available as one looks out the windows.
- Primary: +1 207 677-2100
- Secondary: +1 207-380-0941
- Fax: +1 207-677-2237
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Lower deck at lawn's edge
Rockbound's stone fireplace
House with arbor
Maine lobster bake
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2012.
Date last modified - Wednesday, June 12, 2013
3 Bedroom / 2 Bathroom
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details. Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check, or direct bank transfer. Learn More
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.