Cozy Beach Cottage with Lots of Character
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:Contact owner
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Fanore cottage description
One of the closest dwelling houses to the beach, this authentic, restored centuries-old stone cottage is tucked between Fanore Beach and the Burren Hills on The Coast Road between the beach entrance and a Surf School. It is a short walk to O'Donohue's traditional Irish Seafood Pub, an award-winning restaurant and bakery, a nearby sea-angling shop, a convenience shop, and the local (Craggagh) Post Office.
The house was restored to be very snug and cozy. It has spectacular views of the sea and the sunset. The living room has a working turf and wood fireplace and an upstairs loft with a modern, high quality queen-size bed and two large skylights for star-gazing. The all-electric kitchen includes central heating, large rustic table and benches, and traditional hand-made furniture, including 2 blackthorn rockers for long hours of reading by the fire. The lux bathhouse (once the cow-house) is a few steps outside, across a back patio, with separate central heating, shower and soaking tub. The main house has two additional downstairs bedrooms, one double and one single.
The back patio is a great perch for private sunning, morning coffee, and for hanging beach towels after a day of swimming or surfing.
There is off-street parking for 2-3 small cars adjacent to the bathhouse with back-entrance access to the house.
This is an ideal house for couples desiring to experience an authentic traditional Irish farm cottage and commune with nature in a quiet sanctuary.
- Vacation Rental
- Pets Considered:
- Children Welcome
Bedrooms: 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 5, Beds for 5
- Queen size Beds (1), Double Beds (1), Twin or Single Beds (1)
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom
Kitchen & Dining
- Ice Maker
- Cooking Utensils
- Linens Provided:
- Parking Off Street
- CD Player
- Outdoor Grill
- Deck / Patio
Location & View
- Ocean View:
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Mountain Climbing
- Fly Fishing
- Mountain Biking
- Rock Climbing
- Wildlife Viewing
- Bird Watching
- Whale Watching
- Sight Seeing
- Eco Tourism
- Horseback Riding
- Scenic Drives
- This delightful cottage is the closest dwelling to one of Ireland's top recreational beaches, with breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean, The Aran Islands, Galway Bay, Connemara and of course the spectacular Burren Hills. In the heart of the Burren Nature Preserve, quiet and serene, it is a perfect place for birdwatchers, writers, musicians, photographers, surfers and nature lovers... with swimming and surfing, horse riding on the beach, walking along the green roads, fishing off Black Head, rock climbing, cycling, golfing and exploring archaeological sites. There are many guided walking tours of the area catering to botanists, archaeologists and historians, with archaeological digs within walking distance of the house. The cottage is located one hour from Shannon airport and one hour from Galway, with daily door-to-door bus service to Galway City during the summer months. For local day trips, nearby villages include Ballyvaughan, Doolin, Lisdoonvarna and the Aran Islands. The Burren is famous for the Cliffs of Moher, and for its caves, with the Ailwee caves in nearby Ballyvaughan, and the world's 3rd largest stalactite just a few miles away in Doolin Caves - along with some of the best tea houses, seafood restaurants and traditional music pubs in all of Ireland... with regular sessions and traditional dancing in nearby Kinvara, Ballyvaughan, Kilfenora and Doolin. Nearby opportunities include the Willie Clancy, Milltown Malbay, and Merryman Summer schools for traditional music courses, Guided Walking tours of the hidden Burren, Burren Art College summer courses, the Galway Arts Festival, The Galway Races, The Killkee Races, Writing weekends in Ballyvaughan, Crinniu na mBád (Galway Hooker) boat races and Cuckoo (music) festivals in Kinvarra, as well as Mind and Body Yoga healing centers. ...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
Just back from a weeks hols in this comfortable, cozy clean cottage. There was 5 of us and we had more then enough room, everything we needed was there. Open fire in the evenings was amazing, loved this cottage, our little lady loved the stairs and the fact the bathroom was outside was even more of a novelty :) slept like a baby peace and quiet with stunning views from front to back, can't recommended it highly enough!!
- Guest Michelle O.
- Date of stay 07/27/13
- Review Submitted 08/03/13
Vacation on the West coast of Ireland
Vacation on the West coast of Ireland
This property, and the views from upstairs, were beautiful. It is right across from the beach, and also across from a field of cows. The view was quite beautiful and pastoral. The pictures are accurate, but it was a bit hard to find (no outside pictures). This is an old cottage that has been refurbished to a more modern feel inside, while keeping some of the old touches, such as the slate floor, leaded windows and European style bathhouse. Stairs heading up to loft are steep, and not for the infirmed. But if you're lucky enough to sleep up there, the view from the windows, the fresh sea breeze, and twinkling stars visible at night are pretty wonderful! Kitchen had all essentials we needed and there were plenty of brochures of local sites and stores to pour over. If you like some history and romance combined with some nice basic amenities, this is a great place to stay. Close to Cliffs of Moher, Galway and the Burren.
- Guest Sandy (Ann Arbor, MI USA)
- Date of stay 07/19/13
- Review Submitted 07/22/13
Recommended for: Pet owners, sightseeing, romantic getaway, age 55+, adventure seekers, families with teenagers.
Sounds of the Sea
Sounds of the Sea
A lovely stay! We used this as our base to explore the cycle loops through West County Clare, and it was perfect. The town of Fanore has a beautiful beach, a welcoming pub, a great restaurant (Vasco's), and a friendly couple at the post/store. The bus to Galway runs by once a day in the summer, and there is good music and restaurants in nearby Ballyvaughan. The cottage is small but light-filled. The loft bedroom is wonderful although we would caution the older set that the staircase/ladder requires agility. The bathroom (separate) is divine with a great tub for soaking. Your only neighbors are a horse and cows across the street. A completely unplugged getaway!
- Guest Jennifer G. (Sausalito)
- Date of stay 06/29/13
- Review Submitted 07/11/13
Recommended for: Romantic getaway.
Authentic Irish Experience
Authentic Irish Experience
We had an amazing time in Clancy cottage. It was definitely an experience we would all like again. The locals were so nice and sweet. The weather was beautuful most of the time, so we got to see so much more than we expected.The cottage was perfect for a cozy experience and was enjoyed thoroughly sitting around the fireplace!! Cottage is right off coast road, and after learning to drive on the left lane, it was really easy to get to Doolin, Cliffs of Moher, horseback riding from Mountain view Riding, fanore beach, and cave exploration. Thanks again Barbara for a memorable trip!!
- Guest Linda (Louisiana)
- Date of stay 07/12/12
- Review Submitted 07/23/12
Recommended for: Sightseeing, romantic getaway, families with young children, girls getaway, adventure seekers.
November to February $160/weekend $425/week March to April: $200/wknd, $250/bank holiday wknd, $500/week May, September, October: €250/wknd, $350/bank holiday wknd, $600/week June to August: $300/wknd, $350/bank holiday wknd, $700/week Christmas and New Year week $700 Easter week $600 Monthly and longer term rentals are a possibility. Contact owner for rates.
Note: Until confirmed, rates are subject to change without notice.
This owner accepts: Credit cards.
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details. Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Burren view of bathhouse, cottage and Fanore Beach
surfing at Fanore Beach
putting in Doolin
angling off Black Head
horseriding on Fanore's green roads.
Fanore Beach viewed from the upper bedroom
Aloha Surf School Class at Fanore beach
cycling on the Aran Islands
O'Donoghue's, Fanore's village pub and seafood restaurant
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2012.
Date last modified - Wednesday, October 02, 2013
3 Bedroom / 1 Bathroom
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details. Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check, or direct bank transfer. Learn More
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.