Lovely Get-Away Home in Southern Vermont: Well-Behaved Dogs Welcome
You sent a message to this manager.
- Minimum stay:2 nights
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Grafton house description
Three nights or more, $100 per night; six nights or more, $95 per night.
You can relax, hike, bike, swim, visit antique shops, cheese factory, farm with petting zoo, and more - or just relax and enjoy the woodsy setting. Secluded furnished three-bedroom home overlooking woods, with wrap-around deck. Spacious bedrooms, full basement with washer and dryer. Master bedroom has a balcony. Interior freshly painted. Located up a winding driveway, away from the road.
Double bed in bedroom upstairs with balcony; one twin and an extra twin mattress in second upstairs bedroom; and queen deluxe Aerobed in downstairs bedroom, plus double pull-out sofa bed in living room. (Can add another twin Aerobed if desired.) Full bathroom downstairs, and washer and drier in the basement.
TV with DVD player in living room (no TV reception, but you can watch via DSL on your laptop or iPad); some DVDs, books and games available. Only one other home within view. Mostly quiet, but this is small-town Vermont, and occasionally you'll hear shooting or off-road vehicles or tractors or the like. And sometimes singing from the church way down the road.
Note: three-day minimum on holiday weekends, please
Fine and casual dining available nearby. Easy access to Grafton, Saxtons River, Putney, Newfane, Brattleboro, Townshend, Manchester. Free long-distance phone and DSL included. We love dogs, so you are welcome to bring your well-behaved pet!
130 miles from Boston (exit 5, I-91)
220 miles from New York City
150 miles from New Haven, Connecticut
You can fly into Manchester, NH; Hartford, CT; Albany, NY
- 1300 sq. ft.
- 2 story
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Children Welcome
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
Bedrooms: 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8, Beds for 7-8
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom
Kitchen & Dining
- Dining Area Seats:
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Cooking Utensils
- Linens Provided:
- Parking Off Street
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove
- Towels Provided
- Clothes Dryer
- Satellite / Cable:
- DVD Player
- CD Player
- Wireless Internet
- Tourist Attractions
- Sports & Activities
- Away From It All
- Cross Country Skiing
- Hunting Small Game
- Medical Services
- Massage Therapist
- Mountain Biking
- Water Tubing
- Fly Fishing
- Bird Watching
- Recreation Center
- Scenic Drives
- Horseback Riding
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Sight Seeing
- Fitness Center
- Wildlife Viewing
- Outlet Shopping
- Less than five miles from Saxtons River, a charming village with fine dining and shopping, home to the Saxtons River Inn and the Vermont Academy. Six miles from Grafton, home of the Grafton Cheese makers and with wonderful trails and other attractions. You can hike in many areas, tube down the river, go antiquing in Newfane (12 miles away), visit outlet stores and huge bookstore n Manchester, visit aerial park and water rides at Bromley Mountain, visit Stratton Mountain, go horseback riding. Or just relax on the front porch. Nearby attractions: The Rockingham Old Meeting House- the oldest public building in Vermont, Rockingham, VT The Fish Ladder on the Conneticut River, Bellows Falls, VT The Grafton Cheese Factory- purveyors of fine cheddar cheese, Grafton, VT Vermont Academy- founded in 1876, Saxtons River, VT The Mountain Flyer- train trips, Bellows Falls, VT The Saxtons River Historical Society, Saxtons River, VT The Billings Museum, Woodstock, VT Glass Blowing at Simon Pearce, Quechee & Windsor, VT Rockingham Old Homes Days- exquisite fireworks, Bellows Falls, VT The Yellow Barn Music Festival, Putney, VT Putney School and Landmark College, Putney, VT Summer Theatre, Weston, VT Fourth of July- an all day festival, Saxtons River, VT Ski Areas- Bromley, Okemo, Stratton, Magic, Killington The Orozco Murals and Hood Museum, Hanover, NH The Vermont Country Stores, Rockingham & Weston, VT The Canal in Bellows Falls- the oldest in America, Bellows Falls, VT Westminster- site of the first battle of the American Revolution, Westminster, VT West Hill Shop- bike rentals, Putney, VT Blacksmith Shop, Saxtons River, VT Montshire Museum- great for Children, Norwich, VT Raptor Center, Woodstock, VT The Grafton Nature Museum, Grafton, VT ...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
Peace and Quiet
Peace and Quiet
I rented this house for three nights around the beginning of August. Me, my wife, two teenaged children and my 10 year old daughter. The house is down two dirt roads to get to it. It has a small fire pit which was very adequate to make smores and roast hotdogs. The house was very clean and nicely supplied with all necessities we needed. There is no cell phone reception and no television signal (there is a DVD player), however wireless internet access and home phone service is available. This is what made it peaceful. There is plenty to do within a half an hours drive in almost any direction. You have Brattleboro to the south, Bromley mountain to the north (with zip-lines, water slide, and other rides) and then my wife's favorite, Manchester to the west (shopping and cafes). My dog loved the yard and surrounding woods. If you are looking for a relaxing getaway to Vermont, this is definitely the place you want to stay. Sara, the property manager, was more than accommodating and easily accessible via her cell phone or email.
- Guest Ron (Salisbury, MA. USA)
- Date of stay 08/08/12
- Review Submitted 08/23/12
Recommended for: Sightseeing, girls getaway, pet owners, adventure seekers, romantic getaway, families with teenagers.
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
2 night min stay
Discounts: 3 nights or more: $100 Nightly; 6 nights or more: $95 Nightly
Additional information about rental rates
Three-night minimum on holiday weekends. Some last-minute discounts available; just email! No smoking in house, please, and we do ask you to separate your recyclables!
- Pet Fee: $0
- Taxes Not included
Policy available by contacting manager when booking.
This manager accepts HomeAway payments.
Always use this free service to protect your payments up to $10,000 against fraud while keeping your financial information private. With HomeAway Payments, your credit card information is not seen by the owner or manager. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Call the owner to confirm booking request.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Sorry this information is not available. Please contact the manager for more information.
- Nearest Train: Bellows Falls at 10 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: Saxtons River Inn at 5 Miles
Year Purchased: 2000
About: Originally from downstate New York, but my family purchased a vacation home here, just down the road from this house, and I love the area. Now it is my home for most of the year.
This was a vacation home lovingly built by a gentleman from New York, up the road from my house. I did some of the work on the house and know it well, so when the owner decided to sell it, I couldn't resist buying it.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
Driving up the winding driveway to this house, I fell in love with it. And the rest of the house did not disappoint. I love the wrap-around porch and the lovely view down onto the valley below. I love the deck outside the upstairs bedroom, which I decided was the master bedroom. I like its spaciousness, its simplicity. I love the open kitchen with the table facing the porch, and the living room and all its windows. I love the two upstairs bedrooms and their roominess - and I love having a full basement with washer and dryer! (I also like the woodstove, its cozy heat, and the stockpile of wood in the basement!) There's only one other house within view, and that only when the leaves on the trees are sparse. So you have the feeling of seclusion - while still not that far from stores, restaurants, and more. And, oh yeah, the hiking trail up on the ridge that extends all the way to Brattleboro. - Sara, who manages the house
- Primary: 802-681-4636
Upstairs bedroom - with deck! This room now has a queen Aerobed instead.
Third bedroom (downstairs) - this room now has a twin mattress instead.
Kitchen! (There are three more chairs that didn't make it into the photo.)
Living room. That's the woodstove in the right-hand corner.
A peek at our claw-footed tub we've adapted to use as a shower.
This is the house as you see it coming up the driveway.
Currently one of these is just an Aerobed, with no frame!
Back view of the house - lots of room for parking.
A view from the kitchen into the living room.
Yes, our lovely bathroom! It's wood paneled.
Saxtons River Inn and Restaurant - yum, . Just about five miles from the house
There have been visitors to this page since
the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2012.
Date last modified - Thursday, August 15, 2013