Tropical Private Island Retreat - a Luxurious Getaway for Memories
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:Contact owner
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Private Homes house description
Set on 2 acres of land on a private island, this new home (completed in 2010) will provide an island vacation experience for you and your family like no other. The house has 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms and an outdoor shower. All rooms view out to Longboat Pass, with 300 feet of beachfront, palm trees, and private dock. Sunsets are spectacular. Great boating water and use of paddle boards, and kayaks. The two upstairs 2-room bedroom suites sleep up to 5 each, and all bedrooms open onto decks. The Master deck has a claw-foot tub with hot and cold water. The house opens on both the east and west side with 4 pocketing 12 foot sliding doors opening onto large screened decks for lounging and dining. Fully equipped kitchen with Sub-Zero, Wolf and Kitchen Aid Appliances. Sound system with IPad/IPhone docking and High Speed WIFI. Surrounded by fine-dining, one of the prettiest beaches and amazing fishing, there is plenty to keep you busy – or swing in the hammocks and order Pizza to be delivered.
- Vacation Rental
- Pets Considered
- Children Welcome
Bedrooms: 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 12, Beds for 12
- Queen size Beds (4) All bedrooms have a private full baths - 3 in-suite. Master has private deck with an outdoor claw foot tub and hot and cold running water. There is a large outdoor shower on the ground level. Beds are all custom made from reclaimed hard wood cypress and historical beams, finished with non-toxic sealers. Mattresses are custom made eco-friendly memory foam with allergy materials and allergy free covers. Allergy free pillows for those with chemical sensitivity. Wonderful linens and covers. The home has wood heart of pine flooring throughout, with beautiful tongue and groove ceilings. The home opens up to the environment and on almost every day there are amazing cross breezes off of the gulf. All rooms open out to decks and view to the gulf and bay., Twin or Single Beds (4) All bedrooms have a private full baths - 3 in-suite. Master has private deck with an outdoor claw foot tub and hot and cold running water. There is a large outdoor shower on the ground level. Beds are all custom made from reclaimed hard wood cypress and historical beams, finished with non-toxic sealers. Mattresses are custom made eco-friendly memory foam with allergy materials and allergy free covers. Allergy free pillows for those with chemical sensitivity. Wonderful linens and covers. The home has wood heart of pine flooring throughout, with beautiful tongue and groove ceilings. The home opens up to the environment and on almost every day there are amazing cross breezes off of the gulf. All rooms open out to decks and view to the gulf and bay....moreless
Bathrooms: 0 Bathrooms
Kitchen & Dining
Sub Zero Refrigerator, Wolf Cook Top; Kitchen-aide Wall Oven and Microwave; 2 Kitchen-aide Dish Drawers - White Marble counters, and large 10 foot x 4 foot center island matched up to a custom 10 foot dining table. Lots of Appliances - great for the 'foodies' among you!...moreless
- Dining Area Seats:
- Catering Available
- Ice Maker
- Cooking Utensils
- Air Conditioning
- Linens Provided
- Washing Machine
- Clothes Dryer
- Baths are generous with white marble, tops, subway tile wet walls, white hexagon tile floors. The house has kayaks (2 double) 2 paddle boards, canoe, and we can arrange for a private boat, limo service, daily maid service and staff (Included is weekly maid service). The home meets the highest green building standards rated as a platinum green home by Florida Green Building Coalition. The views, private beach, grounds are amazing and native. Hammocks swing under the coconut trees, and chairs can be brought into the water under a shaded black mangrove tree. There are plenty of areas for napping, lots of kid games and family games. there are two 10 foot dining tables for large gatherings. Kitchen is Sub Zero, Wolf and Kitchen-aide. Boche large capacity washer and dryer....moreless
- DVD Player
- CD Player
- Video Library
- Music Library
- Video Games
- Video Game Console
- Broadband Access
- Computer Available
- Wireless Internet
- Deck / Patio:
- Beach Chairs:
- Lanai / Gazebo
- Outdoor Grill
- Away From It All
- Scuba Diving Or Snorkeling
- Equestrian Events
- Water Skiing
- Pier Fishing
- Water Tubing
- Jet Skiing
- Fly Fishing
- Deepsea Fishing
- Surf Fishing
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Eco Tourism
- Paddle Boating
- Live Theater
- Botanical Garden
- Theme Parks
- Sight Seeing
- Massage Therapist
- Fitness Center
- Medical Services
- Bird Watching
- Wildlife Viewing
- Set on 2 acres of land on a private island, this new home (completed in 2010) has been widely published for its unique and beautiful private setting. Private beach and deep water boat dock at your front door and a heavily forested island with a foot path down the middle length of the island. This home is all about the water and the wildlife that shares the property with you. Things we all love to do: Floating Napping in hammocks under the Palms Swimming Discovering the beaches Exploring the vast sandbar Sailing Birding Fishing Kayaking Paddle boarding Ordering in a private massage Walking the island In the evening, the sunsets are amazing and there is plenty to keep you busy – or swing in the hammocks and order Pizza to be delivered to the dock and watch a movie. There are wonderful local restaurants serving fresh local catch within 2-10 minutes by easy boat ride in protected waters - including several that have tables on the beach! If you want to venture out further, a 5 minute boat ride and simple 10 mile drive south to St. Armonds Key, Downtown Sarasota, known world wide for fine arts and culture,beaches, museums, botanical gardens, and wonderful restaurants. Sarasota has a terrific jazz festival, film festival, wine festival, polo season, and many other special annual events....moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
Relaxing, private and fun for all
Relaxing, private and fun for all
We spent a week at this wonderful home with another family. The large yard for frisbee throwing, island exploration, tree house with its own hammock and sand bar just off the beach made every moment fun. The many water toys (paddle boards, kayaks and canoe) kept kids thrilled with adventure. That is, when they could leave the rope swing. The open kitchen was ideal for a large pancake breakfast, and the screened areas were perfect for cocktails. With great restaurants a short boat ride away, meals were an excuse for fun as well. Mid-week, the property owner called to check in He graciously made us all feel at home, as welcome guests, at this spectacular property. Those of us who needed to get a bit of work done over the week had quiet spots and reliable internet access. Over all, this is a great property for togetherness with family and friends and gave us memories to last a lifetime.
- Guest Seeker of Sunshine (Westchester County, NY)
- Date of stay 03/15/14
- Review Submitted 03/24/14
Recommended for: Romantic getaway, families with teenagers, families with young children, girls getaway.
Our family of eight stayed at this beautiful home for a week and had a fantastic experience. The house is nicely decorated and has everything you need to relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings. Our three children enjoyed playing in the sand, kayaking around the island, walking to the sandbar, and riding the zip line. Captain Kathy and Harry's Kitchen were the perfect resources to make this a completely stress free trip. The owners were also very helpful. And to top it off, the sunsets from the house were amazing!
- Guest chitown_sandy (Chicago)
- Date of stay 02/17/14
- Review Submitted 03/22/14
Recommended for: Age 55+, tourists without a car, families with young children, girls getaway.
Awesome property, great family fun!
Awesome property, great family fun!
The Island House is deserving of its many accolades. Why travel to the BVI, when you can get the same ambience and experience stateside? The house was perfect for our group (4 adults plus 5 children ages 4-9), and comfortably sleeps 10. Meals were fun and easy, using the full kitchen and large teak dining tables. Each morning we would open the large sliding doors on each side of the home to inviting tropical breezes. The kids would run down to the beach and jump in the owner's kayaks (both child and adult sizes available) and/or the paddleboards. The water is shallow close to the shore, and the kids can safely paddle over to the nearby sandbar to explore and run around. Several swings are available for the smaller kids, as is a small fort. The zip line was a big hit, as was fishing off the dock. Fish caught included snapper, flounder, and sheepshead (nearby Cannons Marina has live bait). The property is clean and well maintained. Having a washer/dryer is always a bonus. Following sunset, a campfire with S'mores is a must! We had our own boat, which allowed for visits to nearby restaurants including Mar Vista (recommended). This is the perfect property for a family vacation!
- Guest Brad H.
- Date of stay 03/08/14
- Review Submitted 03/17/14
Owner response: Thank you for your review! We are so happy that your stay was so terrific. It's what we aim for when sharing this slice of heaven with our fabulous guests! All our best, Catherine and Stephen
This is where you go to "get away from it all"
This is where you go to "get away from it all"
We have rented many vacation properties over the years and this is the best one yet. We are very particular about cleanliness and the home and property were spotless. Views from both sides of the house as well as from the private beach. There was a private dock with close access by boat to restaurants, bars and shopping, although we spent most of our time right on our own private island. Perfet for your furry family members with hoses to wash them off after a day on the beach, and outside gated deck for them to dry off. Owners were very helpful in answering our questions and had great information on nearby attractions. I would not only recommend this property to friend and relative, but plan to return again. Its the perfect place to unwind!!
- Guest Lindy (Florida)
- Date of stay 06/29/13
- Review Submitted 07/18/13
Recommended for: Pet owners, romantic getaway, age 55+, tourists without a car, families with teenagers, families with young children, girls getaway.
We rented this amazing property for the entire month of March. I had a need for two business retreats and also a family getaway. Not only did we accomplish both, but we had an amazing time doing it. Steve had the place immaculate, helped us arrange a rental boat for our stay, connected us with all the local sites and sounds. It was just awesome. We held the business retreats first (what a great and productive environment). So many large hangout areas which I love and with both of the huge sliding glass windows opening up the entire space and two massive decks, there was always a beautiful breeze. We would do business for a few hours and then our business partners could go on the boat, paddle board, walk the island, lay in a hammock, go kayaking, fish off the dock, hang out or lay in the sun. Then back to work. Then back to play. It was just great. When the business was done, the family started showing up. Overall we had maybe 20 people in and out over the remaining 2 weeks. Ten people can sleep there very comfortably. We created tons of memories with my kids and extended family. My mom and dad were there practically the whole month which made me happy. I actually thought we'd go a little nuts being on the island so long but we didn't at all. We'd take the boat to a great restaurant close by, or go into Longboat Key. One day we took the boat all the way down to Siesta Key which was fun. So much happened, it is kind of hard to get it all in. The kids loved the zipline. We caught probably 20 different kinds of fish right off the dock. We loved playing on the sand bar when the tide went out. The sunsets were amazing. I could go on and on. Actually I guess I already have. :) The bottom line is, if you want a great place for a business retreat, this place is magical. And if you want a great place for your family, even a large one like ours, it's just perfect. I couldn't recommend it or endorse the owners more highly. Hope this helps! Eric & Marina Worre
- Guest Eric & Marina Worre (Chanhassen, MN USA)
- Date of stay 03/02/13
- Review Submitted 07/11/13
Recommended for: Romantic getaway, adventure seekers, families with teenagers, families with young children, girls getaway.
We spent 9 days at this amazing house on this amazing Island. We had a range of ages, from 80+ down to a 6 month old baby. Great common spaces for meals, hanging out and relaxing! All the toys you could ask for and more! Dog friendly, close to many restaurants and shopping, but very private. You need to rent a boat, but very easy to dock... recommend pontoon boat for beginners... The owners are incredibly accommodating and friendly.
- Guest Anonymous
- Date of stay 05/30/13
- Review Submitted 06/15/13
Recommended for: Pet owners, romantic getaway, age 55+, adventure seekers, families with teenagers, families with young children, sightseeing, girls getaway.
The property was excellent, beautiful and worked really well for all of us. Captain Kathe, Jimmy the Limo driver, and Nathalie all did very well and made the trip very relaxing for all of us. One of my guests asked me how long I had known all of you because everyone was so friendly and they thought we had known each other forever. Great trip and I hate to leave. I would certainly go back. The owner was very accommodating and great to work with. Thanks again
- Guest Steve (Kingston, Ontario, Canada)
- Date of stay 02/05/13
- Review Submitted 02/12/13
Recommended for: Romantic getaway, age 55+, adventure seekers, families with teenagers, families with young children.
This is a truly magical place for all. The attention to details in this house are amazing, the owner (Steve) thought of everything imaginable for a family stay. It's truly a unique and authentic experience. This place is perfect for families who are vacationing with other families. We stayed a week with our three young children (ages 9, 7 and 6) and it was the best vacation we have ever taken. The kids had a blast and wanted to stay longer - they even said it was better than Disney World. If you are thinking about taking a tropical vacation, this is by far the absolute best choice. There are so many things to do and your in the best location in Florida. The home was clean and well maintained. There was plenty of room for our family and it was fully equipped from the furnishings to the kitchen amenities. We had a gorgeous view that inspired our entire trip. The pictures don't do it justice. We had a boat, so we were able to enjoy many sites from the water. I want to especially thank the owner (Steve) and his wife (Cath) for their kindness in answering all of our questions and making themselves available before, during and after our stay. If you want a relaxing, enjoyable, and luxurious vacation on Longboat Key then stop looking for a place to stay. This home is the perfect spot for your vacation needs.
- Guest Tom (Chicago)
- Date of stay 03/31/12
- Review Submitted 10/11/12
Recommended for: Pet owners, romantic getaway, age 55+, people with disabilities, adventure seekers, tourists without a car, families with teenagers, families with young children, sightseeing, girls getaway.
Owner response: Thanks so much for your gracious review. We are delighted that your stay was so much fun. What more can we ask...
Spectacular Get-Away - Not easy to leave!
Spectacular Get-Away - Not easy to leave!
We stayed at this beautiful home with two other families and loved every minute of it. It was much more than we expected. The owners are incredibly nice and go out their way to make sure everything is to your liking. The house is very well designed without a single unusable space. The beds are very comfortable and the kitchen is amazing. Then there are the spectacular sunsets, the well-maintained property and the surrounding area. I don't know where to begin to describe how well suited this place is for a get-away. The island is just across from Longboat Key and Anna Maria Island, and only a short drive into downtown Sarasota. But because the house is only accessible by boat, you feel as if you're in the Caribbean, thousands of miles from the big city. You won't want to leave even after a month. The kids were never bored either. There was fishing, tubing, paddle-boarding, jet skiing and some of the best beaches in the country. We will definitely be back next year. We all agreed this could easily be a yearly ritual for us. Thanks again, Steve and Catherine!
- Guest Craig W.
- Date of stay 05/12/12
- Review Submitted 08/16/12
$6,000 4 Day Getaway; $8,400 per week; $25,000 per month Add $200 per night for Peak Holiday Weeks 11.50% Tax, $450.00 Cleaning fee. This home is a high-end luxury private island getaway - boat access only with very limited rental to qualified individuals and groups. Explore many more pictures and information at facebook.com/SarasotaIslandHouse You will find links to several published articles about the home and lifestyle you will experience at this one-of-a-kind island home.
Note: Until confirmed, rates are subject to change without notice.
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
- Nearest Airport: (SRQ) Sarasota - Bradenton International at 15 Miles
- Nearest Ferry: Private boat from Cannons Marina at 1 Miles
- Nearest Motorway: Interstate 75 at 20 Miles
- Nearest Barpub: Mar Vista at 0.2 Miles
- Nearest Golf: Longboat Key Resort Club and IMG, and others at 10 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: Marvista Restaurant and Moore's Stone Crab at 0.2 Miles
Year Purchased: 2010
About the owner: CEO of the award-winning luxury home-building firm in Sarasota Florida, MyGreenBuildings We designed and built our dream home to share with our friends and family and celebrate what is most important in life!
Why the Owner Chose Private Homes:
Pam Daniel, Editor of Sarasota Magazine captured it best when she described her thoughts on this home when she wrote in the “From the Editor” section for the October 2011 cover story entitled 'Weekend Castaways' – By Hannah Wallace PLACES IN OUR HEART I have to confess that the homes we love most are often places that we happen to stumble upon and that evoke an instant emotional connection. That’s what happened when we were planning this Home & Garden annual. Our art director, Gigi Ortwein, was cruising off Jewfish Key, a 39-acre island east of Longboat that’s only accessible by boat. In the golden light of early evening, she glimpsed an idyllic scene. Two little girls were playing on swings beneath the wide, wooden porch of a house surrounded by Australian pines and palm trees and overlooking a sliver of beach. As she watched, the children tumbled off the swings, and, shrieking with laughter, disappeared into the woods. She turned to a friend and said, “We have to write about this place.” That’s almost exactly how Steve Ellis and his family discovered the site that was to become their vacation home. A lifelong sailor and boater, Ellis anchored off Jewfish Key a few years ago so he and his wife and their one-year-old daughter could play on the sandbar just offshore. As they splashed in the water, he looked up and saw a “For Sale” sign among the pines. Ellis, who is a partner in a green building company, had an epiphany: “In just 40 minutes, we could travel by boat from our Sarasota house and be in another world.” In this issue, you’ll share a weekend with the Ellises at their island getaway, where simplicity, intimacy and comfort rule. His aim in designing the house was as simple as it was successful: to recall “those nights on a sailboat when you look up and see the stars, feel the wind, and know exactly where you are on this earth.”
The Unique Benefits at this House:
Private Island Close to IMG Academy Privacy Wildlife Private beach Deep water dock Zip Line and water sport activities for the whole family Spectacular Sunsets visit www.facebook.com/SarasotaIslandHouse and discover for yourself.
- Primary: +1 941 928-7991 Mobile Phone
Links to more information:
Island House lit up at dusk as seen from the water
Light at sunset
Main Living Level plan as furnished
Living area viewing east over east dining porch with 10 foot teak table.
Living viewing south-west over dock
Dining on east porch with friends
4th Bedroom Suite
The ultimate relaxation
300 feet of private beach
From top guest deck
Living area viewing west - open to east/west 12 x 32 screened porches.
Sunset from grounds
Second level floor plan: 1 Suite sleeps 5; the other suite sleeps 3
West porch in midday light
Sub Zero, Wolf and Kitchen-aid appliances. center island sink - 10 foot table
Outdoor Claw foot tub with view of the gulf
Second Master - 2 room suite sleeps 5 with attached additional sleeping room
View from Second Floor Suites - Our private beach, and Longboat Pass
Lots of water toys including 2 paddle boards, 2 kayaks and a canoe.
Fun on the water Jet Skis available
Paddle boarding at sunset
Private pier for docking, fishing and beach to the right.
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2012.
Date last modified - Saturday, April 05, 2014
4 Bedroom / 0 Bathroom
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.