Farmhouse/Villa Set in Breathtaking Countryside with Private Pool.
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:Contact owner
- Pets considered:Ask Owner
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Roccalbegna farmhouse description
A must for nature lovers and birders, (Roccalbegna is an Imortant Bird Area) this beautifully renovated 4-bedroomed stone farmhouse with private pool is truly idyllic. Podere Bellavista is an organic farm, and boasts a comfortable house and large secluded garden set in its own rolling fields.The unspoiled Maremma hills are rich in wildlife, birds, butterflies, wild flowers. Away from the tourist traps but in easy reach of Tuscany's main attractions, thermal spa of Saturnia and sea nearby, major cities within day-trip reach, including Rome, Florence, Pisa, Siena, Montalcino, Montepulciano, Pienza. Activities include cycling (bring your own wheels), walking, olive oil and wine tasting by arrangement, nature. Etruscan sites and medieval villages. The sea and Lake Bolsena are less than an hour away. Or lie by the pool, soak up the sun and eat al fresco on the terrace, watching the sun set over the hills. Unpolluted even by light, you can watch shooting stars and the Milky Way.
The house has a well equipped farmhouse kitchen opening on to the terrace equipped for dining, and leads into the snug living room with its open fireplace. There is a spacious downstairs bedroom with twin beds and a good-sized shower room, which has proved very convenient for guests with limited mobility. Upstairs are three more bedrooms, two double and one twin, with bathrooms for the doubles and a shower room for the twin.
Outside there is lots of space for sunbathing, sitting and reading, and of course the pool (which is near the house and visible from the kitchen window), beyond which are the property's rolling fields. There is a lovely hand-built barbecue with rustic seating close by, to keep the cook company.
The house is very well heated in winter by the wood-fired boiler and a cozy open fireplace, with wood pruned from the surrounding trees, and very comfortable all year round.
- Vacation Rental
Bedrooms: 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 10, Beds for 8-10
- Queen size Beds (2) the two double bedrooms have large beds, bigger than normal doubles but not quite king-sized. I guess that means Queen!, Twin or Single Beds (2) 2 twin bedrooms - one on the ground floor can easily accommodate a 3rd single bed, Child Beds (1) Not really a child bed, more of an extra single bed that can be placed in any of the rooms., Baby Cribs (1) The baby crib can be placed in any of the bedrooms...moreless
Bathrooms: 4 Bathrooms
and not just a washing machine but a dishwasher too. And a decent fridge (by European standards), a 5-ring gas hob, electric oven/grill, and all the glasses, plates, pots and pans you should need....moreless
- Linens Provided:
- Parking Off Street:
- Wood Stove:
- DVD Player
- CD Player
Location & View
- Massage Therapist
- Medical Services
- Wildlife Viewing
- Mountain Biking
- Winery Tours
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
- Eco Tourism
- Bird Watching
- Sight-seeing, hiking, cycling: The Maremma hills are very popular with cyclists and there are many 'white roads' for rambling along, taking in the breathtaking scenery of great rock faces where eagles nest, rivers cascading over rocks, rolling hills dotted with olives and great forests teeming with secret wildlife. You might like to visit the WWF reserve of Rocconi. In addition there are many Etruscan sites dotted around, the most notable being Sovana and Pitigliano, but if you travel a little further to Tarquinia (just over an hour away) there are fabulous painted Etruscan tombs. The Alta Maremma is known more for its ancient hilltop towns than its big cities, set in a context of rare natural beauty. Further afield are Tuscany's main attractions - Florence/Lucca/Rome 2.5 hours, Siena/Montepulciano 70 min., Montalcino/Pienza 50 min., Orbetello/Monte Argentario 60 min. Beaches: 45/50 min. takes you to the Tuscan Archipelago and sought-after Monte Argentario (Gianella and Feniglia, equipped with restaurant and sunbeds, etc.) also Alberese and the wildlife at Parco Uccellina. Torba offers a nice, reasonably priced restaurant and sunbeds. Hop on a ferry to the islands of Giglio or Giannutri or hire a dinghy from either Porto Santo Stefano or Giglio and potter around snorkelling with the fishes. For land lovers there's the spa at Saturnia, further afield is Lake Bolsena, whose orbital road includes a long stretch of 'white road' along the water's edge. Swim, hire boats, eat. Food and wine: Dotted around the breathtaking Maremma landscape are many medieval hilltop towns, all boasting modestly priced restaurants. Local wines are Morellino and Monte Cucco, and the world famous Brunello di Montalcino is nearby. Local family-run organic producers Villa Patrizia will be delighted to give you a tasting of their excellent wines, or you might like to try some local olive oil. Alternatively, you might like a taste of our own organic produce, spelt (an ancient form of wheat) and saffron, and home-grown organic fruit and vegetables as and when available. The ancient town of Roccalbegna has a complete range of shops which, with the Monday morning market, provide everything you need (butcher, locally baked bread, 2 groceries, chemist, bank) in a personal, friendly style reminiscent of a bygone era. There's a local supermarket nearby and, if you insist, larger ones in Grosseto. Visit Saturnia for a day at the spa, amazing Pitigliano for culture and white wine, Sovana for souvenirs. ...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
Holiday in Tuscany
Holiday in Tuscany
This was our second visit to Bellavista, Roccalbegna. We loved the location and accommodation so much the first time we stayed in 2008 that we always planned to go back. Our visit in July 2012 was not a disappointment. The standard of accommodation was excellent and was beautiful and clean throughout. The property is maintained to a really high standard. Lovely swimming pool which is always spotlessly clean and well maintained. The photographs are an accurate reflection of the property but in someways they do not do it justice. You do need to go and experience just how lovely the farmhouse and location is. The owner is lovely and always available to answer questions. Nothing is too much trouble. There are lots of lovely restaurants and beautiful places to visit in the surrounding area. The town of Roccalbegna is very quaint and well worth a visit. We definitely will be going back for another lovely holiday.
- Guest Lindy (Leyland, Lancashire. UK)
- Date of stay 07/21/12
- Review Submitted 12/02/12
Recommended for: Families with teenagers, age 55+, families with young children.
Owner response: Dear Linda, thank you so much for such a lovely review. It was so great to see you again, I'd been looking forward to it too! It feels more like having friends to stay when favourite guests come back, and we hope you will again soon. Meanwhile, all the best - Arabella and Pier Luigi
Superbe villa dans les collines de MaremmeGuest comment entered by owner
Superbe villa dans les collines de Maremme
12-Sep-2011 Podere Bellavista, Santa Caterina, 58053 Roccalbegna, Grosseto (61650) - Date of Stay 16 July 2011 Nous avons passé un excellent séjour a Bellavista: l'emplacement reculé est tranquille, la vue est superbe, la piscine grande. L'intérieur de la villa est bien équipe, les chambres sont très agréables toutes avec salle de bain. On est loin des grandes villes mais Scansano, un petit ville agréable est à 20 mn pour faire toutes les courses.
- Guest Stéphane
- Date of stay 07/16/11
- Review Submitted 10/17/12
Stunning scenery and fantastic house!
Stunning scenery and fantastic house!
This house was in an excellent location with amazing views. We spent many happy evenings BBQing in the grounds with local produce brought from the villages surrounding the house. Excellent accommodation with very good size pool. Owner was very helpful throughout the stay. Would definitely recommend to anyone seeking a Italian get away. Would defeinely recommend the local Wine tour.
- Guest Herts53 (Uk)
- Date of stay 08/11/12
- Review Submitted 10/14/12
Recommended for: Sightseeing, pet owners, families with teenagers, romantic getaway, families with young children.
Owner response: Thank you for your lovely review - it's such a pleasure to know you enjoyed your stay and what you liked in particular. We hope you will come and visit us again, meanwhile send our best wishes.
Fantastic stay. Bellisimo!
Fantastic stay. Bellisimo!
Thankyou Arabella and Pier-Luigi. We loved staying at Bellavista. Very peaceful and beautiful surroundings. Well equipped home. We enjoyed cooking up a storm in the kitchen, hammock-lounging and admiring the views with a red wine or two. We even braved the pool a few times - very bracing! Also, thanks for your help sorting the garage-repair. It was hard to leave Bellavista but we'll be back soon.
- Guest Andy M.
- Date of stay 09/16/12
- Review Submitted 10/09/12
Owner response: We're delighted you enjoyed your stay - perhaps I should mention to the outside world you were here in late September - in the summer the pool is actually very warm! We look forward very much to your next visit, meanwhile send our very best wishes. Arabella and Pier Luigi
An outstanding villa in stunning TuscanyGuest comment entered by owner
An outstanding villa in stunning Tuscany
Steve T. Villa "Podere Bellavista, Roccalbegna" Review Submitted: 30 January 2012 Date of Stay: October 2011 An outstanding villa set in the stunning hills of Tuscany. Great facilities and beautifully presented throughout.The owners were lovely and so welcoming and helpful. Ideal base for trips to Rome, Florence and Siena and it was just lovely to come back to Bellavista, open a bottle of wine and watch the breathtaking sunset in pure peace and tranquility.There is also a lovely swimming pool for lazy relaxing days in and the children loved exploring the grounds and spotting the different birds and wildlife. We would not hesitate to recommend this property to friends and relatives and probably the best recommendation of all is that we can't wait to go back! Rating 5 out of 5
- Guest Steve and Lesley
- Date of stay 10/22/11
- Review Submitted 08/29/12
Autumn 2012: 15 Sep 2012 to 26 Oct 2012 €2,100 - - -minimum stay 1 Week Winter 2012: 27 Oct 2012 to 21 Dec 2012 €1,900 - - -minimum stay 1 Week Christmas 2012: 22 Dec 2012 to 4 Jan 2013 €2,500 - -minimum stay 1 Week Winter 2013: 5 Jan 2013 to 12 Apr 2013 €1,900 - - -minimum stay 1 Week Spring 2013: 13 Apr 2013 to28 Jun 2013 €2,100 - - -minimum stay 1 Week Summer 2013: 29 Jun 2013 to 7 Sep 2013 €2,500 - - -minimum stay 1 Week Autumn 2013: 8 Sep 2013 to 25 Oct 2013 €2,100 - - -minimum stay 1 Week
Note: Until confirmed, rates are subject to change without notice.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Sorry this information is not available. Please contact the owner for more information.
- Nearest Airport: Pisa at 180 Kilometres
- Nearest Ferry: Civitavecchia at 80 Kilometres
- Nearest Train: Grosseto at 45 Kilometres
- Nearest Motorway: Aurelia at 45 Kilometres
- Nearest Beach: Castiglione della Pescaia, Giannella, Feniglia, at 50 Kilometres
- Nearest Barpub: Santa Caterina at 7 Kilometres
- Nearest Ski: Monte Amiata at 40 Kilometres
- Nearest Golf: Saturnia at 25 Kilometres
- Nearest Restaurant: Santa Caterina at 7 Kilometres
Year Purchased: 2004
About the owner: I'm half English and half Italian, grew up in England (Norfolk) and then moved to London, where I spent many years working as a recording engineer. By 2004 my lifelong desire to try living in Italy finally got the better of me, so I sold my house in London and found this place - it was almost derelict, but thanks to my architect uncle, restored it with traditional materials (cotto floors, chestnut beamed ceilings, that sort of thing). That same year I met my partner and we live here when the house is not let, keeping it alive and warm in the chilly winter months. When our guests come we go to our other little place, a tiny doll's house 5km away, remaining on hand if guests should need anything but maintaining a discreet distance to ensure their privacy. We love sharing this house and its beautiful location with visitors, and do our best to make sure they make the most of their stay. We now farm the land (something of a surprise to me, never saw myself as a farmer) at Bellavista and grow saffron at Brusca, both places registered organic. We'll leave a little jar of saffron in the welcome pack for you to try, and fruit and vegetables from the garden at Brusca subject to season. In 2007 I had 4.2kW solar panels installed (for electricity) and a wood-burning boiler which is fueled by my other half pruning the trees on our land - very sustainable, and the trees love it! During the off-season months my children bring their families to stay, or my other half's friends and family, we're never short of company or things to do.
Why the Owner Chose Roccalbegna:
I thought I knew Tuscany - until I came here. The first sight of Roccalbegna growing out of the rocks took my breath away. Imagine Renaissance arches and soft Tuscan colours giving way to the dramatic rock face of the Albegna Gorge. Just off the road to Scansano, Podere Bellavista is beautifully positioned to enjoy wonderful scenery, but around every corner is another gorgeous view, a medieval hilltop town or a rocky gorge hiding a river, and more wildlife than I know the names of. The butterflies and flowers are stunning. I thoroughly recommend you come between early April and late June to see them at their best. One of the great pleasures I've discovered is Village Life - I get great pleasure shopping in the village, shop by shop in the old-fashioned way, and have been made so welcome I really feel I belong here. It's given me an insight into a way of life that the modern world has almost erased, stimulating and fascinating and endlessly lively. Roccalbegna is also strategically placed for major attractions in all directions - Florence and Lucca to the north, Rome to the south, Perugia, Assisi, Spoleto to the east - we've made day-trips to all of them, and to the west there's the sea, Monte Argentario, Orbetello, Giglio, Elba ...
The Unique Benefits at this Farmhouse:
When I saw this little farm I could never have imagined how lovely it was going to be - from near-derelict it has been absolutely transformed into a wonderfully comfortable home. The countryside is stunning, the neighbors are far enough away to ensure privacy (virtually invisible) but provide great company. The local towns and villages are so pretty and the locals have proved very welcoming, which isn't always the case in more 'touristy' places. Here you can enjoy the lost pleasure of shopping in a village, which will supply you with everything you need in a setting reminiscent of a bygone age. It's very peaceful - and yet it's easy to go to Rome or Florence (2.30 hours) and Siena is just over an hour away. We love renting Bellavista and having other people enjoy it. It's great to see how somewhere so idyllic delights our guests and opens their eyes to the great natural beauty around them. We've become so cut off from our natural heritage it's hard to imagine what it means - until we get far enough away from modern life to be able to listen to the nightingales and look at the stars.
- Primary: ++39 349 580 5090
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Terrace comfortably fits tables and chairs for 8 people
living room leads into spacious farmhouse kitchen, doors open on to terrace
big old walnut tree close to pool
downstairs twin bedroom
double bedroom with big bed
upstairs twin bedroom (also has its own en-suite shower room)
second en-suite bathroom
Medieval Roccalbegna is a maze of little streets and alleys
Monte Labbro and its hermitage
Podere Bellavista, Roccalbegna, Maremma/Monte Amiata
living room with open fireplace, stereo, DVD/video and satellite TV
lavender and santolina around one edge of pool
sit on the stones under the trees with a cool drink
downstairs shower room
second double bedroom (big bed here too)
well-equipped farmhouse kitchen, big table comfortably seats 8
one of Roccalbegna's arched streets
Roccalbegna - a glimpse of 13th century church
Hermitage at Monte Labbro in winter - you can see from Corsica to Civitavecchia
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2012.
Date last modified - Friday, August 23, 2013
4 Bedroom / 4 Bathroom
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.