Butterfly Beach - Contemporary Bali-Style Design-120ft Sandybeach
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:7 nights
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:Yes
Special offer: Enjoy a 25% discount off standard rates - April-May offer Details
Grassy Key estate description
Life is a beach...a 120ft. private Florida Keys beach.
Architect-owner's brand new dream home, gated and set far back and elevated, Idyllic, acre plus private beach front, 2 hours from MIA AND 1-1/4 hours from Key West. A grass motor court leads to the stunning Coral stone-clad minimalist contemporary, with the glass entrance flanked by illuminated reflection pools with shooting water arcs. Designed to maximize beach and sunrise views, and oriented to catch prevailing ocean and bay breezes.
The spacious, luminous reception area, with walls of glass for breathtaking ocean and garden views, features a floating staircase and a wine room with glass doors. Downstairs guest quarters or bedroom suites with recreation/meditation room. Spacious terrace and fully equipped summer kitchen with a large island/bar featuring a raw-bar or chilling trough and mirrored back splash for ocean views. Heated spa and infinity edge pool with swim-in place feature. Indonesian 'Bale' tiki on beach.
Wake up to sunrise views from the upstairs master suie with walls of windows and glass doors open to the upstairs terrace, framed by the sea and sky. The fabulous bath and dressing suite includes 2 walk-in closets. Three additional upstairs bedroom suites hav eversatile folding walls for privacy or open plan. Large upstairs terrace floats above pool and overlooks beach.
Dramatic illumination and water features and limestone floors throughout, marble and granite custom designed sinks and countertops. Top of th eline appliances. Two-car garage, laundry/utility area. 4-zone AC and sound system, wall TV projection system, security system including cameras.
House designed to meet Americans with Disability Act (ADA) and built to green specifications.
- 6300 sq. ft.
- 2 story
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Private Chef
- Children Welcome:
- Wheelchair Accessible:
- Pets Not Allowed
- Non Smoking Only
- Events Allowed
Bedrooms: 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 10, Beds for 10
- King size beds (2), Twin Beds (8), Sofa (1)
Bathrooms: 6 Bathrooms, 1 Half Bathroom
Kitchen & Dining
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Covered Parking:
- Air Conditioning:
- Clothes Dryer
- Linens Provided
- Hair Dryer
- Parking For RV/Boat/Trailer
- Towels Provided
- Fitness Room / Equipment
- Washing Machine
- Iron & Board
Pool & Spa
- Jetted Tub
- Kayak / Canoe:
- Outdoor Grill:
- Water Sports Gear:
- Lanai / Gazebo:
- Away From It All
Location & View
- Ocean View
- Water View
- Beach View
- Water Skiing
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Fly Fishing
- Deepsea Fishing
- Pier Fishing
- Wildlife Viewing
- Bird Watching
- Paddle Boating
- Recreation Center
- Medical Services
- Eco Tourism
- Fitness Center
- Places to eat: MARATHON: 1. Butterfly Café, Tranquility Bay : Upscale, very nice, restaurant within an upscale typical Keys hotel. 2. Keys Fisheries – Good seafood, funky, theme-oriented restaurant and fish market 3. Lazy Days South – Excellent views, abundant portions. – U.S.1 to 11th Street, make a left towards the Ocean, next to Marathon Marina. 4. Plaza Grill ¬– Upscale Italian/Continental. Good food, pricey – Celebratory – Next to Marathon Deli, where you can buy excellent Boars Head cold cuts at prices below Publix. 5. Frank’s Grill – Good, honest Italian food, cooked by the chef/owner, reasonably priced. 6. Porky’s Bayside – Barbecue, good value. 7. Hideaway Café -- Very close to our property, good food, needs reservations. 8. Barracuda Grill - - OK, can be pricey 9. Tarpon Creek - Good for pizzas, casual atmosphere – part of the Holiday Inn Express 10.Lencho’s – Southern Mexican food – Daily all you can eat. 11.Hurricane Grill – Buffalo wings/pizzas, informal eatery. 12.Several breakfast spots: a.Sweet Savannah’s – Great cupcakes, coffee and croissants b.Juice Paradise – Good basic Cuban food. c.Stuffed Pig – Good American breakfast. d.Wooden Spoon – Good American breakfast. e.Island Fish Company – Good for breakfast and lunch f.Baricci’s – Sandwiches, Panini, etc. ISLA MORADA: Too many restaurants to detail. However, here are my favorites: 1.Chef Michael’s Love and Hog Fish: My personal favorite, Chef Michael does a great job with fresh fish. Also, puts out an outstanding a la carte Sunday Brunch. 2.Pierre’s: Excellent but pricey, good for celebrations, prepare to spend a bundle. 3.Tower of Pizza: Basic but good pizza and salads. 4.Lazy Days North: Same management and menu as Lazy Days South. KEY WEST: Too many restaurants to detail. Here my favorites: 1.ZaZa’s Pizzeria: In Sugarloaf Key, mm 17, about 20 minutes before KW. Best pizza, authentic ingredients. Chef/owner ZaZa very personable. 2.Sunset Key: Small island across from KW, reachable by free ferry from the Westin Hotel. Excellent restaurants, Latitudes, fresh fish, top-notch service. 3.Lou’s Backyard: Perhaps the best restaurant in KW, has a classic menu downstairs and a tapas menu upstairs. Things to Do: MARATHON: 1.Fishing: We can recommend two types of fishing charters: - Deep Sea Fishing: We can recommend Captain Mederos, a very reliable captain. Provides ½, ¾ and full day charters for up to 6 people in his boat. Half-day = $650; Three Quarter day = $850; Full Day: $950. -Flat Fishing (Tarpon and Bonefish): Captain Richard Keating, about the same pricing, but for 2 people -There are various group charters that can be booked on for less than $100/day per person. 2.Boating: Numerous outfits rent boats. We like Captain Hook’s, Vaca Key, Marathon 3.Diving/Snorkeling: Again, several operators. We can recommend some. 4.Bicycling: Keys Outfitter, in Marathon, excellent firm. 5.Kayaking: Several reputable places rent kayaks to explore both bay and ocean. 6. Old Seven Mile Bridge and Pigeon Key: You will want to visit this historical attraction and museum, memorializing Henry Flagler’s construction of the Railroad that Went to Sea, widely known as the eighth wonder of the modern world. Excellent sunset viewing. 7.Crane Point: Natural Park and Museum 8.Dolphin Research Center: Just across from our property. Non-profit attraction designed to preserve dolphins and other marine mammals. Viewing and “swim-with-the-dolphin” opportunities. 9.Turtle Hospital. NEARBY BEACHES AND STATE PARKS: You can enjoy a good swim off our own beach, 240 ft of it, a shallow and very calm beach. There are others nearby, including: 1.Sombrero Beach.Take Sombrero Boulevard (right next to Publix, mm50) to the end. This is a wonderful active beach owned and maintained by the City of Marathon. 2.Bahia Honda State Park:Right off the 7-mile bridge (between Marathon and Big Pine Key). Voted one of the 10 best beaches in the United States. 3.Curry Hammock State Park: About 1 mile south of our property, in Grassy Key itself. Great bird watching opportunities as well. 4.Long Key State Park: About 8 miles north of our property, in Long Key. KEY WEST: Lots of things to do in this touristy town: 1.Duval Street (very touristy); 2.Mallory Square (at sunset, by the water/cruise ship channel), lots of people, fun; 3.Several museums, including Mel Fisher’s Atocha exhibit. Hemingway’s House. 4.Cemetery. 5.Butterfly Gardens, 6.Southernmost point in the US. 7.Sunset Key (See above under restaurants). 8.You can also take a ferry to Ft. Jefferson/the Tortugas, a full day trip which requires either staying overnight in KW or leaving very early out of Marathon. ISLAMORADA: Great restaurants, elegant shops. 1.Diving Museum 2.Thursday Night Art KEY LARGO: Key Largo Reef: Back in Key Largo (mm103), glass bottom boat, snorkeling, kayaking, etc. ...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
The house was awesome! Everything advertised and more. Beautiful white sand beach. The owner was very gracious and had lots of recommendations which were great. I would definitely recommend this to friends and family. I hope to go back.
- Guest sue j. (rehoboth beach, delaware)
- Date of stay 03/01/14
- Review Submitted 03/12/14
Recommended for: Girls getaway, romantic getaway, families with teenagers, age 55+.
We spent 10 wonderful days at Butterfly Beach and we loved it. The house is very nice, modern and open. It’s great to have your own beach and a view like in paradise. We specially recommend it for people who want to relax and have some privacy.
- Guest Paul-Gerhard S.
- Date of stay 01/30/14
- Review Submitted 02/17/14
Recommended for: Romantic getaway, families with young children, families with teenagers, age 55+.
Owner response: Paul: Thank you for your thoughtful review. Can you do one in German for those who speak that language? Thanks
Great Keys location
Great Keys location
Right on the water! Great outdoor living - the pool, patio BBQ area is perfect. Good location, only an hour to Key West. Fishing charters nearby and a bike path to Marathon for shopping and restaurants. Plenty of room for a large group with lots of bathrooms. A great winter getaway!
- Guest Stuart R.
- Date of stay 12/12/13
- Review Submitted 01/02/14
Recommended for: Families with teenagers, sightseeing, age 55+.
Owner response: Stu, Valarie: Thank you very much for your kind review. Glad to hear you had a good time. We enjoyed having you and Valarie's father and brother as guests and hope to be able to host you again sometime in the near future. Bernard
HEAVEN on EARTH - Tropical paradise...
HEAVEN on EARTH - Tropical paradise...
First and foremost... Bernard, what a wonderful, gracious and attentive host you were. My family and I were absolutely delighted to meet you. Upon entering the private gates of your tropical compound, we got goosebumps... the tropical foliage surrounding the property made us feel we had flown several hours away to an exotic location... From the grassy motor court you can see right through the front doors foyer, beyond the jacuzzi and infinity edge pool, past the white sand beaches and to the endless ocean views... just breathtaking. WE HAD ARRIVED!!! I've never quite seen an oceanfront property like this. This property met all of our needs and made for a wonderful and memorable family reunion. We would wake up every morning, cook breakfast, make a pot of coffee and sit out back looking at the never ending expansive views of the Atlantic Ocean... We spent the majority of our time in the pool and hot tub. My favorite moments were sitting in the hot tub watching the few storms roll in with the howling winds. We brought our paddle boards and corn hole game and soaked up the sun on our very own private beach... we took naps in the hammock and under the shaded palm trees... we spent our evenings cooking fantastic dinners and drinking wine, laughing and dancing... and we enjoyed several moonlights and shooting stars... Bernard had given us a list of all the local attractions, great restaurants and fun things to do… truth is, we never really wanted to leave the house. Grocery stores are just a few miles down the road. I wanted to especially thank you for your hospitality. When we arrived we realized there were certain things that we needed that the house did not have. You took care of those necessities without question and went above and beyond in making sure our needs were met and we were happy. Thank you for that. As far as a couple comments in regards to the rocky beach. This is absolutely true. The Keys is not generally known for their beaches, primarily because there really aren't many accept for the State owned parks. It would be quite hard to find as beautiful a property as this with as large a private white sand beach that this property has anywhere in the Keys. it would be wise to pick up a pair of water shoes for walking along the shoreline, the rest of the property is loaded with soft sand. This compound is a gem... and my family and I are looking forward to coming back next Summer if Bernard will have us ; )
- Guest Rob M.
- Date of stay 08/17/13
- Review Submitted 11/27/13
Recommended for: Romantic getaway, families with young children, families with teenagers, tourists without a car.
Owner response: Rob: You honor us with your wonderful comments. Thank you very much. Of course, you are more than welcome to return next summer, we look forward to having you. Just call me when you are ready. Bernard
A place to stay
A place to stay
Beautiful villa and pool. Bernard the owner was perfect and we have spent two excellent weeks.
- Guest AVS (New York)
- Date of stay 08/03/13
- Review Submitted 08/26/13
Recommended for: Families with young children, tourists without a car.
We had a wonderful time at this beautiful place! Great amenities around a beautiful pool. It was like having your own private resort. Kayaking and walking on the beach was lovely (wear shoes). The house is set up ready to use with everything you need. Thanks Bernard, it was memorable vacation! Patricia & Family
- Guest Tricia (Florida)
- Date of stay 07/29/13
- Review Submitted 08/11/13
Recommended for: Girls getaway, families with teenagers, tourists without a car.
Owner response: Patria, Jim, John, and everybody in your lovely group: Thanks for your wonderful review. We will be more than happy to host you again in your next vacation. Bernard
An amazing property and location. Highly recommended. The owner is prompt, responsible and attentive. Couldn't have asked for a better experience!
- Guest ishkana ( miami)
- Date of stay 06/09/13
- Review Submitted 08/09/13
Recommended for: Girls getaway, romantic getaway, families with young children, families with teenagers, sightseeing.
Owner response: Adrian: Thank you very much for your highly positive review. It truly was a pleasure hosting you and your lovely wife and friends. We look forward to hosting you again in the near future, anytime you want. Bernard
House was great. Owner very,very helpful with household needs, places to eat, see, visit and all things needed for a vacation. My family loved the pool, beach and hot tub. Wish the house had more amenities (mixers, pots and pans, spices etc) only because we had children with us. Great house for young adults families. Would defiantly recommend this area and house and owner.
- Guest Suzan B.
- Date of stay 07/07/13
- Review Submitted 07/23/13
Recommended for: Families with teenagers.
Owner response: Suzan: Thank you very much for your positive review and constructive comments, they are very helpful. We are already providing more kitchen amenities for current and future guests to enjoy including a mixer, more pots and pans, utensils and spices. We will be more than happy to host you and your family again next year. Bernard Spinrad
We spent a lot of time searching for the best place to spend a week of our honeymoon while in the Keys, and we definitely found it. Location is private yet only a few minutes drive to grocery stores, bars and restaurants. Breathtaking vacation home and property....savvy architecture and lighting, comfortable beds, nice kitchen amenities (and we LOVE cooking - most everything you need!) and really enjoyed the pool/spa area with an expansive ocean view from everywhere... just WOW. So many surprising amenities as well for the pool and beach area as well as bicycles. Bernard was such a hospitable and courteous host and met all needs. Upon arrival, the spa would not turn off. Within just a few hours, it was repaired. We faced no issues during our stay. We enjoyed the beach area and did not see more debris than expected for a private beach. Thank you, Bernard for having us. We look forward to staying again soon.
- Guest Kate (Kansas City, MO)
- Date of stay 06/15/13
- Review Submitted 07/04/13
Recommended for: Girls getaway, romantic getaway, families with young children, families with teenagers, age 55+.
Owner response: Kate: Thank you very much for your very positive review. It was truly a pleasure hosting you and your small-group wedding. I am really happy that your new husband had a good honeymoon in our property, and that we were able to meet your expectations. Perhaps we can host you again next year (or any time, really), maybe with a new addition to your family?? Best regards
Loved the pool
Loved the pool
We did enjoy our stay but the beach is not sandy. The area around the house is sandy but certainly not the beach. I know that's just the name but the area near the ocean was very dirty and trashy and it was literally mud. You do not want to walk down there without shoes as we found several pieces of glass and other debris near the water's edge and on the sand bar at low tide. As far as the house goes, it was nice. There was some issues with leaking and water temperature/pressure but Bernard was responsive to our concerns. The pool area was the highlight. We loved the pool and the hot tub and spent most of our time around it. We were promised a kayak to use but that agreement was dissolved at the owner's discretion at the last minute. His reasoning was that the kayak was owned by someone else and they wanted to use it that week. So why would you promise it to us to begin with? We rented a couple of fishing kayak's that were a lot of fun but could have really used the additional one that was promised for other guests who did not want to use one enough to justify renting a kayak for the week.
- Guest Michael C.
- Date of stay 04/14/13
- Review Submitted 06/29/13
Recommended for: Age 55+.
Owner response: Mike: We appreciated your detailed review and were happy that you enjoyed our pool and spa. Also, that you recognized our efforts at fixing whatever maintenance-related issue you may have had. Regarding the kayak issue: we have an agreement with our neighbor, the owner of the kayak, which enables us and our guests to use them while not being used by them. Unfortunately, he had guests of his own during your stay, who also wanted to use them. Sorry about that. We will definitely make it up next time you stay with us, which we wholeheartedly hope you will. Bernard
Special offer: Enjoy a 25% discount off standard rates - April-May offer
Help us fill in empty weeks. We are offering a 25% discount off our regular rates. Space available during April and May is now $4,900/week plus 12.% Monroe County Bed Tax.
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
|My Standard Rate
7 night min stay
Fees and Rental Conditions:
- Property Damage Protection: $49
- Taxes Not included
Policy available by contacting owner when booking.
This owner accepts HomeAway payments.
Always use this free service to protect your payments up to $10,000 against fraud while keeping your financial information private. With HomeAway Payments, your credit card information is not seen by the owner or manager. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Call the owner to confirm booking request.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
- Nearest Airport: Miami International Airport - Key West Int. Airpor at 90 Miles
- Nearest Beach: Private Beach at 1 Metres
Why the Owner Chose Grassy Key:
Unique 120-ft on the beach, very relaxing, capable of hosting up to 12 people. If required by a large group, we have an exact twin right next door, capable of hosting an additional 10 people.
The Unique Benefits at this Estate:
Nearby Yacht Club and commercial marinas offer berthing facilities for boats in excess of 100 ft. We would be happy to make boating/berthing arrangements
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
View from Sandy Beach
Beach View from Second Floor Terrace
Front View of the House - Grass motor court - Daytime
First Floor Terrace, partial view of pool
1st Floor Terrace and infinity-edge pool over beach
Free-floating stairs between 1st and 2nd floors
Second Floor Living and Dining Rooms areas
Dining Room with view of Beach Terrace
Master Bedroom - Principal - Overlooking second floor terrace - full ocean view
Master Bathroom with programmable shower and his/her closets
Close-up from Beach
Evening view from Beach
Balinese 'Bale' tiki on beach
Front View of the House - Nightime
Infinity-edge pool and spa
1st Floor terrace and pool in the evening
Detail of Pool Bathroom featuring a 1-piece marble tub
Second Floor Kitchen and Dining Rooms
Upstairs - Main living area - overlooking full ocean view terrace
Second Master Bedroom
Game room and bedroom, downstairs
Another View of the House from Sandy Beach
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2012.
Date last modified - Thursday, March 06, 2014
5 Bedroom / 6.5 Bathroom
Get an instant quote
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.