Clark & Hahn's Peak: Indoor/Outdoor Beauty! Well Appointed Retreat!
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:2-3 nights
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Clark house description
Privacy with a Big View!
The modern home sits on top of the hill among the aspens, pines, spruce and fir trees with fantastic views of Lester Mountain (where the Steamboat Lake Ski Area used to be), the Beaver Creek and Willow Creek Valleys and Willow Creek Pass.
The house has 5 bedrooms with 3 full baths and sleeps 14+. The expansive master has a king size bed with Tempur-Pedic mattress, a private bathroom with jetted tub, shower and two sinks and a walk in closet. Also upstairs are two bedrooms each with queen-sized beds, which share a full bathroom. On the first floor are two very large bedrooms, one with a king sized bed, a portable crib and room for the double sized air mattress, the other has 3 sets of bunk beds, both with walk in closets, which share a full bath with a pocket door dividing the shower and the sinks area. We offer high quality, high thread count linens, most beds have down comforters in duvets.
The kitchen has granite slab countertops with cabinets, doors and woodwork handmade from the trees taken from the property. There are all the customary appliances plus we have a large Vermont Castings Grill on the front porch, an electric skillet used for bacon and pancakes, Panini maker, coffee maker plus a big percolator we use with large groups, Professional grade non-stick cookware with all the customary china, glass and silver. As you may be able to tell, we are cooks and the kitchen reflects our lifestyle. You will find a well-stocked pantry with spices, condiments, foil and bags, sugar, flour and we always have a big tin of hot chocolate. We use the property regularly and we appreciate not having to remember every small item.
The main living area accommodates large groups; we regularly host my brothers’ families (6 adults, 8 kids, 4 dogs) plus my parents, which makes 16 humans. Just off the kitchen is an open dining area with a huge farmhouse table, made from wood reclaimed from my great uncle's barn in Del Norte, CO (near Durango). The open floor plan allows everybody to collect together even if they are spread through the kitchen, the main dining table or relaxing on the very comfortable couch, overstuffed chair with ottoman and rocking chairs that make up the living area around the wood burning fireplace. Also upstairs there is a reading room, just isolated enough to concentrate yet stay in the mix of activity in the rest of the house.
Downstairs, in addition to the very quiet bedroom area, is a playroom with a pool/ping pong table. There is a large sectional couch with an entertainment center where we watch movies. There is also a gear room to store all the boots, coats, shoes and snow pants so they dry quickly and they aren’t cluttering up the rest of the house. I use the workbench there to tune skis.
The garage is huge, large enough for two cars plus our toys. We provide a great canoe, a fishing kayak (good for lakes), a windsurfer board we use as a stand up, a couple of kids bikes, fishing poles, snow shoes and sleds for your safe use during your stay.
The fireplace is a big hit during the winter, but the summer offers a big back deck, compete with Adirondack chairs and rolling stumps we use as tables, that provides easy access to the fire pit for evening storytelling and s’mores. There is also a front porch, perfect for an outdoor lunch and makes a great viewing area for those pitching horse shoes.
- 4100 sq. ft.
- 2 story
- Vacation Rental
- Lunch - Booking Possible
- Dinner - Booking Possible
- Catering Available
- Breakfast - Booking Possible
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Events Allowed
- Non Smoking Only
- Pets Considered
- Children Welcome
Bedrooms: 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 16, Beds for 14-16
- King size beds (2), Queen size Beds (2), Baby Cribs (1), Bunk Beds (3)
Bathrooms: 3 Bathrooms
Kitchen & Dining
- Cooking Utensils
- Catering Available
- Ice Maker
- Hair Dryer
- Wood Fireplace
- Parking For RV/Boat/Trailer
- Clothes Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Towels Provided
- Linens Provided
- Video Library
- Pool Table
- Ping Pong Table
- DVD Player
- CD Player
Pool & Spa
- Jetted Tub
- Kayak / Canoe
- Deck / Patio
- Outdoor Grill
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Away From It All
Location & View
Situated in the aspens and tall pines the back deck overlooks Lester Peak where Pearl Lake Ski Area used to be. To the South are great views of the Beaver Creek and Willow Creek Valleys and Willow Creek Pass. In the distance and to the East are views of the Mount Zirkel Wilderness area and the Sawtooth Range. Morning coffee on the back deck affords these great views along with the daily crossing of deer and other small critters, hawks and lots of hummingbirds. The front porch for afternoon or evening drinks affords a great view of the forest and horseshoe pits for some friendly encouragement....moreless
- Mountain Biking
- Water Skiing
- Mountain Climbing
- Jet Skiing
- Cross Country Skiing
- Water Tubing
- Hunting Small Game
- Freshwater Fishing
- Fly Fishing
- Hunting Big Game
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
- Paddle Boating
- Horseback Riding
- Hot Air Ballooning
- Rock Climbing
- Bird Watching
- Wildlife Viewing
- At the house: Have drinks and appetizers on the back deck, watch the deer graze through the yard and perhaps catch a rainbow that seems to start and end in the valley below. Or if there are any shoe pitchers in the group, there are horseshoe pits situated so the crowd can watch from the front porch. There is also a stone fire pit in the back yard for cooking hot dogs, roasting marshmallows or just hanging out during the cool evenings at 8,100 feet. There are 4 swings on the property, 1 of them hangs from the pine tree in the backyard. The ground falls away just as the swing rises for a feeling of flying. There is a path that leads to the swing from the side of the garage and down around the rest of the property. My wife prefers to walk around the court and down Placer Place until it dead ends, about a 2.6-mile walk round trip. There is a wide variety of birdlife in the area, including hawks, bald eagles, blue herons and lots of humming birds that buzz in and out of the back deck area, particularly as we are enjoying coffee in the morning. In the winter we gather around the wood-burning fireplace, play games, read books and engage in the lost art of conversation. We bring the deck chairs to the first floor for spirited ping-pong or pool tournaments or involve everybody in a fast paced game of crud (instructions in the entertainment center). It also makes for a great place to warm up after x-country skiing, snowshoeing, sledding, igloo and fort building, snowball throwing, etc all in the back yard. Activities Nearby Water activities: Including canoeing, swimming, water skiing and crawdad hunting at one of the nearby lakes. Steamboat Lake (2 mi away) offers amazing views and the marina rents boats from party barges to canoes and kayaks. For a more intimate experience, try Hahn’s Peak Lake or Pearl Lake. I understand the evening fishing at Hahn’s Peak Lake can be quite rewarding. There are several creeks with beaver dams for fly-fishing, two offering class IV whitewater kayaking. And, I highly recommend tubing down the Yampa River in Steamboat. Road biking: The roads in the area are hilly, scenic, have wide shoulders and do not get a lot of car traffic, which makes for great biking. You can ride down into Steamboat, 23+/- miles each way with about 2,000’ vertical. Or, in each direction from the house you can find beautiful rides: up to Columbine, down to the Elk River and up that river along Seedhouse Road. If you do all three you will get nearly 2,500’ vertical in about 36 miles. Mountain Biking: There are so many spectacular trails in the area it is impossible to summarize them here. However, my favorite is from the house, around Pearl Lake, which leads to the Coulton Creek trail and once up a short uphill portion you’ll find an easy and beautiful single track path through the aspens, ferns, wildflowers and pines. If that is not enough from there you have a choice of spectacular loops to choose from. ATV, Motorcycles, Snowmobiles: we are surrounded by hundreds if not thousands of miles of motorized trails. Snowmobile right from the house or head north 6 miles and the national forest is wide open with more trails than you can ride in a week. Horseback riding: Hahn’s Peak Roadhouse is less than a mile away. It’s more than a bar, its an outfitter. There is also a quick ride with dinner at the Elk River Guest Ranch a quick drive up Seedhouse road. Skiing, snowshoeing, sledding: Steamboat is famous for its powder. But there are plenty of other options. We go cross-country skiing around Pearl and Hahn’s Peak Lakes. There is a great skate-skiing course at Steamboat Lake, or on the snowmobile track on the Prospect trail. We find sledding in the backyard to become an all day activity. In the spring, when there is a crust on top from the night freeze, you can make it from the end of the lower driveway all the way down to the Pearl lake road non-stop. Hiking: Where to start? I think it’s best to start with a copy of “Hiking the ‘Boat”. There are so many good hikes from Mad Creek all the way up to Hahn’s peak. Two favorites are hiking Hahn’s peak, and the Wyoming Trail to the continental divide. Dining and nightlife: There are so many great places in Steamboat, try the Sweetwater Grill overlooking the river and the Ghost Ranch especially for live music. Nearby try the Hahn’s Peak Café overlooking Steamboat Lake and offers tasty sandwiches and great margaritas. Shopping: Steamboat is fun for shopping, but make sure to visit the Clark Store / post office / deli / liquor store / souvenir shop / library / candy store / ice cream shop / movie rentals / all around good meeting place. Culture: Hahn’s Peak has a history museum, but like the town, it’s small. Steamboat has a great library and the String’s music festival is very well done. ...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
We had three generations at this house and it worked out perfectly. Everyone had a great time! The pictures don't do the house justice, it was even nicer than we thought it would be. Everything we needed was provided and we made use of the canoe and paddle boards on Pearl Lake which was so much fun! The only negative was the lack of curtains/blinds in the downstairs rooms.
- Guest Christina H.
- Date of stay 07/25/13
- Review Submitted 07/31/13
Recommended for: Families with young children, girls getaway, families with teenagers, sightseeing, adventure seekers, age 55+, pet owners.
Owner response: We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay. We designed the home to accommodate multiple generations comfortably and we too use it to get multiple families together. I hear you on the window coverings: I have purchased them but I broke my arm the last time I was there and I haven't been able to install them. I am recovering and will get them put up the next time I am there.
5 families staying together as one!!!
5 families staying together as one!!!
This house had everything for us. entertainment/space for kids and adults. Love the kitchen, porches and outside play areas. Would come back in a heartbeat!! Thank you.
- Guest dana (Denver, CO)
- Date of stay 06/14/13
- Review Submitted 06/24/13
Recommended for: Families with young children, girls getaway, families with teenagers, adventure seekers.
This cabin is in a beautiful location. It is big and had lots of space for our group of eleven. The kids enjoyed the swings outside as well as exploring the property. Highlights included seeing lots of deer and a porcupine. A few slight negatives - the downstairs bedrooms did not have any coverings on the windows which makes it very bright when the sun comes up at 5:00 am. Also the bathrooms could use a few more accessories such as additional rugs so you don't have to step on the cold tiles...
- Guest nasilemak (Singapore)
- Date of stay 06/08/13
- Review Submitted 06/15/13
Recommended for: Families with young children, families with teenagers, sightseeing, adventure seekers.
Owner response: Matthew, I am so pleased that you and your extended family enjoyed our home and the surrounding area. I see you got a chance to take the boats out on the lake. I trust you had great weather and were able to take in the amazing views. Also, thank you for the feedback. We had taken the shades off the windows to wake with great scenery all around but I understand your point. We will put on some window covering that accomodate both perspectives. Ditto with the bath mats. I did send back all the kid dishes we found had been left up there. They should arrive in a day or two. Best wishes, Peter
Great home! We had a large group of people for an annual snowmobile trip. The house was perfect for us with great access to the trail system. Very nice furnishings and detail throughout the house. Large common areas for everyone to get together. We are looking forward to going back again next year. I would recommend this house to anyone.
- Guest Andrea (Evergreen colorado )
- Date of stay 02/15/13
- Review Submitted 03/19/13
Recommended for: Families with young children, families with teenagers, sightseeing, romantic getaway, adventure seekers, age 55+, pet owners.
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
|Christmas & New Years
Dec 20 - Jan 4, 2014
3 night min stay
|Presidents Day Weekend
Feb 14 - Feb 16, 2014
3 night min stay
Apr 14 - May 22, 2014
2 night min stay
Jun 27 - Jul 10, 2014
3 night min stay
Aug 29 - Sep 1, 2014
3 night min stay
|My Standard Rate
2 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
Rates have already been discounted for eCheck, personal check, cashier's check and cash payment methods. If Guest chooses to use credit cards, the 5% discount will be taken from Guest's security deposit.
Rates are subject to change until rental agreement signed.
Seasonal rate periods are approximate.
If you can not afford these rates, make me an offer.
- Cleaning Fee: $200 + tax
- Refundable Damage Deposit: $1000
- Tax Rate 3.9%
Policy available by contacting owner when booking.
This owner accepts HomeAway payments.
Always use this free service to protect your payments up to $10,000 against fraud while keeping your financial information private. With HomeAway Payments, your credit card information is not seen by the owner or manager. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Call the owner to confirm booking request.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
- Nearest Airport: Denver Intl Airport 185 miles or Hayden Airport 35 at 35 Miles
- Nearest Train: In Steamboat at 25 Miles
- Nearest Motorway: HW 40 runs through Steamboat at 23 Miles
- Nearest Beach: Steamboat Lake State Park at 2 Miles
- Nearest Barpub: Hahn's Peak Roadhouse at 1 Miles
- Nearest Ski: X-country, Backcountry out Front Door or Steamboat at 25 Miles
- Nearest Golf: Haymaker on south side of Steamboat at 30 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: Hahns Peak Roadhouse and Hahn's Peak Cafe at 1 Miles
Year Purchased: 2006
About the owner: I live in Denver with my wife, three kids and a dog. I grew up in the area and am an avid skier, biker, hiker, and water lover. We are all outdoor people yet we all appreciate a down day reading, playing games, watching movies or hanging by the fire.
Why the Owner Chose Clark:
We found the area when we just had two kids and were camping at Pearl Lake, only two miles away. I loved the remote feeling, the quiet, the big trees and the beauty of the area. The house is so comfortable, yet it affords us all the outdoor pursuits we crave, especially coming from the city. It is like getting the best of camping, without the hardships.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
The house sits on a hill so we have a view we can watch for hours, yet we are still in the trees so we have some privacy too. It is close enough to the main road, which is paved, regularly plowed in the winter and affords us to easily visit the nearby restaurants and attractions, yet we face south and having the trees around protects us from the road. It really is like getting the best of what the area has to offer without the hardships.
- Primary: +1 303.990.3821
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Front of house in summertime
Kitchen in open floor plan with door to back deck on right.
Cozy main level family room with wood burning fireplace
Master Bathroom with jetted tub
2nd of 3 bedrooms upstairs with queen size bed
Ping pong & pool table, darts, TV room w/ laundry on right & gear room on left.
King size bed on first floor, the other has 3 sets of bunk beds
Young buck passing through as seen through the back deck rails
View from the back deck
Sand Mountain and Steamboat Lake, 2 minutes away
Kayak on Pearl Lake
View of back yard & Willow Creek Pass from back deck in fall color
Big red tree swing in back yard
Large farm house table with great views of the willow creek valley and pass
Master Bedroom w/ king size bed
Rocking chairs in the living room near the fireplace
Front porch and horseshoe pits
Three swings out back patio. A great place for the kids to get away and chat.
Early winter snowfall
Hahn's peak cafe, one of several local spots nearby, 2 minutes up the road
There have been visitors to this page since
the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2012.
Date last modified - Wednesday, November 20, 2013
Get a rental quote, then book it!