Private Getaway - 10 Minutes to New Braunfels or San Marcos
You sent a message to this manager.
- Minimum stay:Contact manager
- Pets considered:Ask Manager
- Wheel chair accessible:No
San Marcos house description
Joy's Country Cabin is located in the beautiful rolling hills, on the southern edge of the Texas Hill Country. We are just 10 minutes to either New Braunfels, San Marcos or Seguin and about 35 minutes to San Antonio or Austin. The house overlooks a cottage garden and a small pond frequented by wildlife. The setting is one of rolling hills and small farms - a tranquil, peaceful spot - yet it's only minutes from shopping, restaurants and local attractions. It's a great place to vacation, honeymoon, or get away. The large front porch and garden area is the ideal place to relax and unwind. A charcoal grill is also provided for those who enjoy outdoor cooking.
The living room is a circa 1850's log cabin which has been lovingly restored. The remainder of the house is newly built using old materials, giving the home a charming, rustic feel. It is furnished and decorated with country antiques, patchwork quilts and 'Texas treasures.' The large kitchen, dining, living area is big enough for your family to gather together. The kitchen is fully equipped with full size appliances, pots and pans, dishes, and utensils. The home has 3 bedrooms. The master bedroom has a queen bed. The second bedroom has two double beds and the third bedroom has a twin bed. There is also a futon in the living room.
The house has all the charm that only a log cabin can have combined with accommodations of the 21st century. It has central heating and air conditioning, satellite TV and a utility room with washer and dryer. So come visit and experience all that our country home has to offer.
Also on the same 60-acre property we have just furnished the 100-year old Farmhouse for a vacation rental. It is located on top of a hill and from there are fantastic views of the countryside. It has similar amenities as Joy's Country Cabin and is roomier so it can more easily accommodate larger groups. Call or email to ask about either The Cabin or The Farmhouse. You can also see them on our website.
- Vacation Rental
Bedrooms: 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 9, Beds for 7-9
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom
Kitchen & Dining
- Cooking Utensils
- Ice Maker
- Parking For RV/Boat/Trailer
- Clothes Dryer
- Parking Off Street
- Air Conditioning
- Washing Machine
- Linens Provided
- Satellite / Cable
Location & View
Joy's Country Cabin overlooks a small pond frequented by wildlife. The house is nestled in rolling hills with cattle grazing on nearby grasslands. The view is very peaceful and we're far enough from city lights that you can see the stars at night. But we're close enough to town (10 minutes) so you can take advantage of all it has to offer....moreless
- Freshwater Fishing
- Equestrian Events
- Basketball Court
- Medical Services
- Massage Therapist
- Jet Skiing
- Whitewater Rafting
- Water Tubing
- Water Skiing
- Mountain Biking
- Theme Parks
- Recreation Center
- Winery Tours
- Water Parks
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Live Theater
- Bird Watching
- Sight Seeing
- Fitness Center
- Wildlife Viewing
- Scenic Drives
- Horseback Riding
- Paddle Boating
- Outlet Shopping
- Miniature Golf
- Joy's Country Cabin is the perfect place whether you want to be active or relax. We are located in the rolling hills on the edge of the Texas Hill Country, just 10 minutes from New Braunfels, Seguin, or San Marcos. And it's an easy 35 minute drive to San Antonio or Austin. So you can take advantage of all the attractions the area has to offer. Many of our guests enjoy going to either the Guadalupe, Comal or San Marcos Rivers to float, raft, fish, ski or boat. We are also less than 15 minutes from Gruene, an old community which is now part of New Braunfels. The streets of Gruene are lined with gift shops, antique stores and restaurants. And of course there is Gruene Hall - the oldest dance hall in continuous operation in Texas. Here you can enjoy well-known and up and coming country bands and singers. Another small town worth checking out is Wimberly. From Joy's Country Cabin you can take a scenic drive through the Hill Country to this wonderful little place built on the banks of the Blanco River. And if you have a son or daughter attending Texas State University in San Marcos or Texas Lutheran University in Seguin, our house, located just 10 minutes from either town, can provide the perfect place for the family to gather for the weekend. Or how about doing some major shopping at the Outlet Mall on IH 35? Ask us about the way to drive there in about 10 minutes and avoid all the traffic!Many of our guests have commented on the fact that Joy's Country Cabin is the perfect combination of easy access to activities and a relaxing, peaceful retreat. What sets our house apart from many others is that at the end of the day, after sightseeing, shopping or floating the river, you can escape to the peaceful quiet of our country home. For many of our guests the front porch is the favorite spot. From the porch swing you have a view of a pond which is visited by birds and other Texas wildlife. And we are far enough from the lights of the city that on a clear night you can see the stars. So come visit us and experience for yourself....moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
Stayed here for the weekend while floating the river in San Marcos with friends. Was exactly what I was looking for, perfect secluded feeling getaway with close proximity to town when needed. Great views from the hilltop and PLENTY of room in the farmhouse. Sherman and Joy were very kind, friendly and accomodating, and everything couldnt have been more perfect!!Would definitely recommend to others and stay here again.
- Guest Jon (Humble, TX)
- Date of stay 04/26/13
- Review Submitted 05/06/13
Recommended for: Age 55+, romantic getaway.
Nightly $125 (off-season) $150 (summer) for the first 2 people with $10 per night for each additional person. No cleaning fees for 2 nights or more. Weekly $500 (off-season) $600 (summer) Monthly $1200 All rates subject to 8.25% Sales Tax
Note: Until confirmed, rates are subject to change without notice.
This manager accepts: Credit cards.
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details. Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Sorry this information is not available. Please contact the manager for more information.
- Nearest Airport: Austin or San Antonio at 35 Miles
- Nearest Motorway: IH 35 or IH 10 at 10 Miles
- Nearest Barpub: Grain Bin at 2 Miles
- Nearest Ski: Ski Ranch at 5 Miles
- Nearest Golf: Starke Park at 10 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: Clear Springs Restaurant at 7 Miles
Year Purchased: 1998
About: Sherman is a carpenter by trade and usually builds using modern conventional methods. But he and Joy especially like saving old homes. So when an old log cabin was offered to them in 1998 they took on the challenge of restoring it. The log walls were moved to the farm where Joy was raised. Sherman and Joy grew up in the community surrounding the area and even though they are not able to make their living from the farm, they wanted to keep the property in the family. Having vacation rentals gives them a way to do that. They opened their first vacation rental in 2000 and have since then completed two more. Joy just retired from 30 years working as a teacher and counselor in the public schools. So now she can devote more time to the vacation rentals. Their latest project is restoring a house built before Abraham Lincoln was president! It has been moved beside Joy's Country Cabin and will hopefully be completed within the next year. It is definitely a labor of love, bringing a house back to life.
Why San Marcos:
Sherman and Joy have a real appreciation for old homes. It saddens them when they are not cared for. They have always been especially attracted to log cabins. They have a charm that is hard to beat. And they are part of our history. The log cabin which is now the living room of Joy's Country Cabin was built by German immigrants who came to the area in the mid 19th century. At that time there were no lumber yards or even lumber mills. There was not a hardware store around where you could buy nails. So the early settlers built with what they found in the area. In the case of this house, it was elm trees. Sherman and Joy have a real appreciation for the work that went into building these early structures and want to see them preserved. Having vacation rentals allows us to save some of these wonderful old homes and share them with others.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
The property where Joy's Country Cabin is located has always been special to Sherman and Joy, especially Joy, since it has been in her family for several generations. The area on the southern edge of the Texas Hill Country is some of the most beautiful and productive in Texas. The soil is black and rich which means the grass, trees and crops grow lush. Cattle and horses graze on the grasslands surrounding the cabin. In the Spring, Texas wildflowers bless the countryside. And at all times of the year, wildlife come to the pond which can be seen from the porch swing. Many, many guests from all over the world come back to Joy's Country Cabin time after time just to be able to sit on that porch.
- Primary: 830-379-2982 (Texas, USA)
- Secondary: 830-305-3965 (Texas, USA)
Welcome to Joy's Country Cabin
Master bedroom has a queen bed, antique dresser and large closet.
Third bedroom has a twin bed and shelves, bench and mirror on opposite wall
Dining area looks onto porch. Extra leaves for table are available.
View of the pond from the front porch. A good place to watch for wildlife.
Even the bathroom has country charm. Beadboard was salvaged from an old house.
It's just a 12 minute drive to Gruene - shops, restaurants, wine tasting, music!
A short 10-minute drive to Texas Lutheran University in Seguin.
Texas State University is just 11 minutes away.
View from the Farmhouse porch
The Farmhouse dining table seats 8-10.
Circa 1850's log cabin in the living room of the home.
Second bedroom has 2 double beds, antique dresser and closet.
Kitchen is fully equipped with appliances, pots, pan, dishes and utensils
The favorite spot - the front porch swing!
The cabin is decorated with country antiques - all sturdy and meant to be used.
Comfy chair to watch a little TV or read a book
Schlitterbahn - world's largest water park - less than 15 minutes away!
Less than 15 minutes to San Marcos Outlets and Tanger Outlet Center!
The Farmhouse is on the same 60-acre property.
Farmhouse has a large country kitchen. To the left is a glass top range.
The Farmhouse has 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2012.
Date last modified - Saturday, September 14, 2013
3 Bedroom / 1 Bathroom
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details. Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check, or direct bank transfer. Learn More
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.