Sun-Filled House in the Center of Arles
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:4 nights
- Pets allowed:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:No
The house is on the second and third floor of an old house (actually made of two houses from the 17th and 18th century) above a little Provencal fabric store that makes its own table cloths and aprons. Light filled, with windows in all directions, the house is perched on the highest point of Arles, overlooking the Antique Roman theater and the public gardens, with a 600 year-old tree out the window. The interior is treated with a modern, uncluttered look: A sleek modern kitchen, and up to-date bathrooms, but plenty of old beams and stone walls.
- On floor 2
- 1600 sq. ft.
- 2 story
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Housekeeper Included
- Children Welcome
- Pets Considered
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Events Allowed
Bedrooms: 0 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6, Beds for 6
Bathrooms: 0 Bathrooms
Kitchen & Dining
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Dining Area Seats:
- Coffee Maker
- Living Room seats 8
- Clothes Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Arles is a jewel and the house is a gem.
- Tourist Attractions
- Away From It All
Location & View
- Monument View:
- Car Not Necessary
- Wildlife Viewing
- Horseback Riding
- Fitness Center
- Equestrian Events
- Massage Therapist
- Medical Services
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Eco Tourism
- Scenic Drives
- Live Theater
- Bird Watching
- The house is in the center of Arles, overlooking the antique Roman theater, and the lovely public gardens. It is in easy walking distance of everything: wonderful cafés, bookstores, great restaurants, even the train station. Unlike many other cities in Provence, Arles has not been gentrified or industrialized. On Wednesdays and Saturdays, it has the greatest outdoor market in Provence. Arles is at the head of the Camargue, the vast rice-growing delta of the Rhone. Twice a year, at Easter, in September, the city organizes ferias with bull games and corridas in the Roman amphitheatre. In July and August, Arles invites you to the Rencontres Photographiques, the vast, curated exhibition of photography from all over the world, the biggest such event in Europe. Summers are full of music and dance. The theater festival in Avignon is sixteen minutes away by train; thirty minutes away by bus or car is the adorable beach-town of Saintes-Maries-de-la Mer....moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
Perfect home in the center of everything
Perfect home in the center of everything
We found the home to be much bigger than we expected with three bedrooms on two floors, plus two full bathrooms and a very well equipped and spacious kitchen. And, a terrific coffee machine! The location is both quiet and in the middle of everything. We overlooked the Amphitheater and were one block from the Coliseum and also one block (important as we bought lots of stuff to take back to the home) from the Saturday market. The owner was extremely helpful and answered all of our questions thoroughly and rapidly. He is American so very easy for us to communicate with. Everything was clean and worked (including the wifi). Although there were only two of us there was plenty of room for more, and with bedrooms and bathrooms on two floors allows for some separation and privacy. The furnishings are well represented by the pictures and offer a nice counterpoint to the ancient walls and beams. We strongly recommend this for groups of 2 to 6 people either family or friends.
- Guest Mike
- Date of stay 05/01/13
- Review Submitted 06/11/13
Recommended for: Families with young children, age 55+, romantic getaway, families with teenagers, girls getaway, adventure seekers, tourists without a car, sightseeing.
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
4 night min stay
Jul 1 - Jul 14
4 night min stay
Sep 6 - Sep 9, 2013
3 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
50% on confirming the reservation, the rest ten days in advance.
Before paying contact the owner to confirm payment details.
Call the owner directly to confirm reservation details and pay with an approved method (credit card, check, or bank transfer), to protect your payment up to $1,000.
- Nearest Airport: marseille at 98 Kilometres
- Nearest Train: arles station at 1.6 Kilometres
- Nearest Motorway: N113 at 1.6 Kilometres
- Nearest Beach: saintes-maries-de-la-mer at 37 Kilometres
- Nearest Barpub: tropical at 30 Metres
- Nearest Golf: golf des baux de provence at 16 Kilometres
- Nearest Restaurant: cilantro, 1 star, across the street at 5 Metres
Year Purchased: 2007
About: Richard Klein is a retired French Literature Professor, who spent most of his career at Cornell in Ithaca. Susan Holland is a prominent event designer in New York. We all appear on Susan's website.
Richard has been going to the feria in Arles for almost forty years, and has many old friends there. Since he married Susan, they have made many new ones. Leaving New York and going to Arles is like entering another universe. There is beauty and pleasure at every corner.
The Unique Benefits at this Apartment:
The house is modest but very beautiful, with every necessary amenity. It is perfectly located in the center of everything, only a few steps from the great market twice a week, down the street a bit from Roman ruins almost 2000 years old.
- Primary: 917-442-0158
- Secondary: +1 917 684-0779
- Fax: +1 212-243-5667
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Fireplace in the kitchen
A 600 year old tree.
summer up-side down
we call it the red room
la pégoulade: out the kitchen window
clothes line (there's also a washer & dryer)
gate to the antique theater next door
the view from the bedroom window: st. trophime and the théatre antique.
the kitchen, fully lit
Out the kitchen window.
detail: a wall
the restaurant across the street
the arena in Arles, 2000 years old
There have been visitors to this page since
the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2012.
Date last modified - Saturday, May 25, 2013