Very Private 200 Year Old Fully Renovated Home in French Countryside
You sent a message to this manager.
- Minimum stay:7 nights
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Bagnoles-de-l'Orne cottage description
About the home
This newly renovated property, originally built in 1830, comes fully equipped, giving you that home away from home feeling. The large kitchen with centre island which sits 8 is perfect for preparing holiday meals. The lounge/dining room is a comfortable place to sit and while away a pleasant evening or two, should you choose to not watch the sunset. The two ground floor large bedrooms (1 single, 1 twin) and the house bathroom with fullsize bath (with shower over), wash-hand basin and WC are all well appointed. Upstairs, is the magnificent spacious master suite with Queen size bed and en suite bathroom with full size bath (with shower over) wash-hand basin and WC. Outside there is ample parking space, a barbecue, a stone terrace and a large garden with fruit and nut trees offering some shade from the sun.
- 170 m²
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Housekeeper Included
Bedrooms: 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 7, Beds for 5-7
Bathrooms: 0 Bathrooms
Kitchen & Dining
- Pantry Items:
- Cooking Utensils:
- Dining Area Seats:
- Dishes & Utensils
- Child's Highchair
- Coffee Maker
- Linens Provided:
- Wood Stove:
- Washing Machine:
- Living Room seats 6
- Iron & Board
- Towels Provided
- Hair Dryer
- In La Coulonge you will find everything you need. Your comfort is our main concern. All appliances and furniture are top of the line and well maintained. This property is the owner's vacation property so it is equipped to the highest standard of comfort and elegance. Welcome to La Coulonge!...moreless
- Satellite / Cable:
- Music Library:
- DVD Player
- Outdoor Grill
- Lawn / Garden
- Tourist Attractions
- Sports & Activities
- Away From It All
- Mountain Climbing
- Hunting Small Game
- Freshwater Fishing
- Pier Fishing
- Fly Fishing
- Massage Therapist
- Equestrian Events
- Fitness Center
- Medical Services
- Rock Climbing
- Hot Air Ballooning
- Basketball Court
- Mountain Biking
- Live Theater
- Theme Parks
- Winery Tours
- Botanical Garden
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Recreation Center
- Water Parks
- Wildlife Viewing
- Sight Seeing
- Horseback Riding
- Gambling Casinos
- Eco Tourism
- Bird Watching
- Scenic Drives
- Paddle Boating
- The area is steeped in history with many towns dating back to the 11th century and beyond. The rolling Normandy countryside is dotted with apple and pear orchards the fruits of which go to make local products, Cidre, Poire, Pommeau and, of course, Calvados. Most breweries are open for viewings and tastings. Other local products include cheeses such as Camenbert, Pont L'Eveque and Livarot and the famous biscuits from the Biscuiterie at Lonlay l'Abbaye. For the art lovers, Claude Monet spent a lot of his youth in the countryside around Le Havre but the love of his life was Giverny where he spent the last, 40 or so, years of his life. The famous Bayeux Tapestry (an embroidery measuring over 230 ft long) is to be found it the picturesque town of Bayeux. The Normandy Landing Beaches and War Museums, and the magnificent Mont St Michel, and just into Brittany for oyster lovers, the restaurants at Cancale, are not to be missed. The Bagnoles de l'Orne / Geneslay area La Coulonge is ideal for families who enjoy both a relaxing and a more active holiday. Close by you will find riding, golf, swimming, walking - countryside and forest, cycling, canoeing, there is also a nearby riverside picnic and kayak area . Bicycle rental information available. For those who would like a day's shopping or sight-seeing, Paris is just over a two hour train journey away. The town of La Chapelle D'Andaine is less than 1 km from the villa, there you will find, supermarket (open Sunday morning, closed Monday), a bank, church, 2 boulangeries, florist, butcher, pubs, fine dining restaurant, tabac, wine/Calvados store, DIY store, Garden Centre, Doctor, Dentist, Pharmacy, etc.... Local attractions include the Belle époque thermal spa town of Bagnoles de l'Orne (5 minutes away by car), with its casino, cinema, theatre, auction house, shopping, antique shops, street cafes, fabulous restaurants, paddle boat on the lake, tree jumping adventure park, hikes in the forest of Andaines, velo-rails, outdoor swimming pool, tennis courts, golf (9 very nice holes), miniature golf…and it's beautiful floral displays. Weekly markets Saturday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings. The medieval town of Domfront (10 minutes away) also has lots to offer, narrow cobbled streets, tiny shops, the ruins of the chateau, the church of Notre Dame sur l'eau, where, it is said, Thomas a Beckett said mass in 1166. Weekly market Friday mornings. La Ferte Mace, (5 minutes past Bagnoles de l'Orne) offers all amenities, including a huge supermarket, Leclerc, which opens through lunch time, you will also find a lakeside beach at La Ferte Mace, with children area, sandy beach, picnic area, snack bar, (follow signs that read Base de Loisirs). Weekly market, Thursday mornings....moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
Our October Sojourn
Our October Sojourn
The pictures of La Coulonge do not do it justice. This property is magnificent!! After long days of touring around by vehicle (as you do need one to get around) this home was a pleasure to come back to in the evenings. Very comfortable, cozy and clean. Kitchen was well equipped which was great as we cooked at home a lot. Normandy is beautiful and we would recommend this home to anyone visiting the area. Linda, the owner, was a great help in providing information for the nearby sites. There is so much to do and see that one week was not enough. We enjoyed everything about the week spent there (weather could have been a little better). We would not hesitate to go back. Great value!!
- Guest pottsie (Calgary Alberta Canada)
- Date of stay 10/05/13
- Review Submitted 11/25/13
Recommended for: Girls getaway, age 55+, romantic getaway, sightseeing.
Our trip was incredible. Our first week was spent at La Coulonge and I cannot say enough about how beautiful this place is. The weather was fantastic, the neighbors were wonderful and it was such a relaxing break in this beautiful house. The house is very well kept and decorated; it includes everything you could possibly want in a rental, especially in the kitchen. We made the most wonderful meals with the help of the cookbooks that were available. Definitely would suggest to rent a car, to explore the incredible countryside from this home. Many small towns with great restaurants and history to keep you busy from morning till night. I would definitely go back here in a heartbeat, one of the best vacation rentals I have ever used.
- Guest bmatthews (Calgary, Canada)
- Date of stay 10/05/13
- Review Submitted 11/15/13
Recommended for: Girls getaway, age 55+, adventure seekers, romantic getaway, families with young children, families with teenagers, sightseeing.
Welcoming bottle of wineGuest comment entered by manager
Welcoming bottle of wine
Just arrived home after a lovely relaxing holiday, every thing was to our taste and we had a very relaxing 2 weeks, thank you very much, Also we would like to thank you for the welcoming bottle of wine which went down a treat.
- Guest G & M C - England
- Date of stay 09/21/13
- Review Submitted 09/28/13
We had a wonderful week at La Coulonge.Guest comment entered by manager
We had a wonderful week at La Coulonge.
Your house is absolutely beautiful- a superb location, sensitively renovated, and beautifully decorated. All the rooms are first class and very comfortable. We particularly appreciated the fact that it was so well stocked throughout; obviating the need to come with the car packed with tea towels, tea bags/coffee, etc... You have a beautiful home which we would highly recommend to anyone looking to holiday in Normandy. Your lovely neighbours were the icing on the cake (or should I say the vegetables on the table)!
- Guest Neil and Liz - Great Britain
- Date of stay 08/24/13
- Review Submitted 09/08/13
Still relishing memories of our time in Normandy!Guest comment entered by manager
Still relishing memories of our time in Normandy!
We were thoroughly pleased with the house - what a great kitchen for teamwork in mean preparation! Your neighbors were wonderful to us - fruit and vegetables from their garden, and she even retrieved our towels from the line one rainy afternoon while we were out. All in all, we had a delightful stay, and we thank you for sharing your sweetheart of a cottage with us. P.S. Thanks for refunding my deposit so promptly.
- Guest M & A - California
- Date of stay 08/17/13
- Review Submitted 09/06/13
Countryside Haven - 2 hours from ParisGuest comment entered by manager
Countryside Haven - 2 hours from Paris
As North American Expats living in Paris, we are so excited that we have found this great escape just two hours outside of Paris. The house is simply lovely and decorated with charm and style, with everything and anything you might need to cook or relax. The garden is massive and our 2 poodles loved running around and exploring. We visited the beautiful 11th century chateaux at Lassay les Chateaux (10 minute drive) and also attended the Medieval festival in Domfront. Saturday evening we enjoyed a lovely dinner on the terrace at the Michelin Star restaurant le Manoir du Lys just minutes away in Bagnoles. We will be back as this is now a regular week-end away for us. Thanks again for offering us the opportunity to stay in your country gem!
- Guest Elizabeth, JP, Coco and Maxi - Paris
- Date of stay 08/03/13
- Review Submitted 08/14/13
Slice of paradise!Guest comment entered by manager
Slice of paradise!
There is nothing I would love more than to spend weeks at your slice of paradise. I have rented a 16c. converted barn in the beautiful Lake District of England, an expensive custom-built private cabin in Yosemite National Park, (Also a cabin in the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone) a multi-million dollar villa on the beach in Kauai, and all I wanted to do was to spend the day sightseeing away from my rental. With your cottage, all I wanted to do was to stay home!!! Your cottage and the area is my favorite place in the world. I can't thank you enough for giving me the opportunity to experience such peace and appreciation for the French way of life.
- Guest Susan G California
- Date of stay 07/27/13
- Review Submitted 08/05/13
A WEEK OF PEACE AND RELAXATION WITH OLD WORLD CHARM.
A WEEK OF PEACE AND RELAXATION WITH OLD WORLD CHARM.
We only have one regret about our stay in this beautiful home and area: We should have stayed so much longer. How difficult it was to say “good-bye” to living the French rural life filled with fresh food, fine dining, and evening walks along country hedgerows filled with wild flowers, orchards and acres of wheat fields to sit and hide. Leaving the cottage during the day was also nearly impossible. It was so cozy, whether eating fresh croissants’ in the eat-in kitchen or drinking wine in the garden. We kept trips to Honfleur and Rouen for later. Instead we enjoyed short drives to nearby towns and châteaux’s. Playing “house” and feeling like we were living in the peaceful times of the 1950’s was very precious to our senses and will never be forgotten.
- Guest Sue (Santa Barbara, CA)
- Date of stay 07/06/13
- Review Submitted 08/03/13
Recommended for: Age 55+, romantic getaway, families with young children, sightseeing.
Une semaine magnifique!Guest comment entered by manager
Une semaine magnifique!
Bonjour Madame Ladouceur, Nous tenons tout d'abord à vous remercier de nous avoir loué votre splendide, spacieuse et confortable maison, dans laquelle nous avons passé une semaine magnifique.
- Guest A. Jaquier Geneva, Switzerland
- Date of stay 07/13/13
- Review Submitted 07/21/13
Your place is a perfect getawayGuest comment entered by manager
Your place is a perfect getaway
We had a great time. Your place is a perfect getaway and we loved how quiet and peaceful it is around there. The neighbors were very nice as well. You have a great kitchen and my wife and daughter enjoyed making our dinners in it several nights. Thanks again and we hope to do it again one day.
- Guest J and C Mangan - USA
- Date of stay 06/29/13
- Review Submitted 07/10/13
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Oct 1 - Mar 30
7 night min stay
Apr 1 - Jun 30
7 night min stay
Jul 1 - Sep 30
7 night min stay
|My Standard Rate
7 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
30% deposit to hold booking.
Balance and refundable security/damage deposit required 30 days prior to arrival.
- Taxes Not included
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Year Purchased: 2006
Links to more information:
Fabulous bright lounge with a french door leading to the garden
Beautiful antiques throughout
Fresh herbs at your doorstep for cooking those french specialties
Many areas to lounge and relax inside........
Large master bedroom with en suite and sitting area
This elegant single bedroom has french doors to the terrace
Relax or let the kids run in a third of an acre
South facing exposure ensuring bright sunlight all day long
Bagnoles de l'Orne minutes away with its Casino great shopping and gorgeous lake
Chateau at Domfront which was besieged by William the Conqueror, in 1049.
Claude Monet's inspiration - Giverny
Easy 2 hour train ride into Paris for day trips
Huge and bright country kitchen with all amenities
Fully equipped kitchen
Enjoy lovely cosy dinners in the sejour
This large and bright room double or twin has a garden view
Beautiful terrace to sit and sip wine or enjoy a nice summer bar b que
Peaceful terrace and flower garden
Many events at Bagnoles Chateau throughout the year
Experience discovering the many chateaux within minutes
Chateau de Chambord a quick easy drive
An opportunity to pay our respect to our fallen soldiers..................
the magic of Mont St Michel
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2012.
Date last modified - Monday, November 25, 2013
3 Bedroom / 0 Bathroom
Get an instant quote
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.