The Healing Porch
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:7-14 nights
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Northeast Harbor cottage description
Characteristic of the summer cottage style, this Savage-designed comfortable cottage is a short walk to the village, the fleet and the harbor. The large, covered porch and spacious lawn provide plenty of room for entertaining or relaxing. With its tasteful and traditional furnishings, this home creates a setting that is both formal and inviting. The cottage has been rented in the summer and fall seasons continuously since 1925, a tribute to it's classic appeal.
FIRST FLOOR: Living Room with fireplace. Dining Room with fireplace and table that seats six to eight comfortably. Remodeled Kitchen. Pantry. Powder Room. Bathroom with shower. TV/Computer Room & Study with cable and WIFI internet.
SECOND FLOOR: Master Bedroom with queen bed. Remodeled bedroom with double bed. Bedroom with twin beds. Remodeled bedroom with single bed. Bath with tub and shower. Separate wing with Bedroom with double bed. Bedroom with twin beds. Bath with tub and shower.
THIRD FLOOR: Bedroom with three single beds. Bath with tub and shower.
PORCH/DECK: Covered Porch on East and West side. Open porch on South side.
APPLIANCES: Standard kitchen appliances including dishwasher. Washer/Dryer. Office has hookup for fax machine. Cable TV/VCR, and cable internet, with WIFI. Gas grill.
- 4000 sq. ft.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Housekeeper Optional
- Children Welcome
- Non Smoking Only
Bedrooms: 7 Bedrooms, Sleeps 15, Beds for 13-15
Bathrooms: 4 Bathrooms, 1 Half Bathroom
Kitchen & Dining
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Pantry Items:
- Dining Area Seats:
- Coffee Maker
- Fitness Room / Equipment:
- Clothes Dryer:
- Living Room seats 9:
- Towels Provided:
- Washing Machine:
- Video Library:
- Satellite / Cable:
- Kayak / Canoe:
- Deck / Patio:
- Tourist Attractions
- Away From It All
Location & View
- Golf Course View:
- Beach View:
- Freshwater Fishing
- Medical Services
- Fitness Center
- Fly Fishing
- Rock Climbing
- Mountain Biking
- Whale Watching
- Sight Seeing
- Bird Watching
- Eco Tourism
- Scenic Drives
- Wildlife Viewing
- Massage Therapist
- Horseback Riding
- From your spacious south-facing porch, enjoy the beauty of the community, or walk up to Main Street for coffee and a newspaper at McGrath's, a great wine selection at the Pine Tree Market or some of the finest clothing and gift shopping in the Northeast at The Kimball Shoppe. See the many galleries and other shops in town, including Shaw's Jewelry, The Holmes Store, FT Brown Hardware and Local Color. The Healing Porch is located a short walk from the Asticou Inn - one of America's classic Grand Resort hotels with view of the harbor, connected to the Asticou Azalea Gardens and nearby the famed Thuya Gardens. Take a free seasonal bus (6/23 - 10/15) into Acadia National Park, stopping to remove your bicycle and ride the 56 miles of carriage trails or hike the many national park hiking trails. Visit the stone gatehouses at Brown Mountain or Jordan Pond in the park and stop at the Jordan Pond House for the tradition of tea and popovers. Bus or drive around Somes Sound, the only natural fijord on the east coast of the United States. Visit Echo Lake, where you can swim at the beach or jump off the rocks reached from the Acadia Mountain parking lot. Explore the Cranberry Islands by ferry from the Northeast Harbor marina, take a house-tour up by boat up Somes Sound, or charter a boat yourself from the Henry Hinckley Yachtworks in Southwest Harbor. As you walk throughout Northeast Harbor, be sure to stop in the beautiful library and visit the tranquil beauty of St. Mary's by The Sea (Episcopal), with services at 8:30AM and 10:00AM in the summer. Recommended for dining are the following locations: Our favorites: Burning Tree in Otter Creek Watermark in Northeast Harbor XYZ in Southwest Harbor (fine Mexican cuisine) ...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
This property does not have any reviews yet.
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
14 night min stay
Discounts: 14 nights or more: $571 Nightly; 21 nights or more: $555 Nightly
May 18 - Jun 14
7 night min stay
Discounts: 14 nights or more: $375 Nightly
Aug 1 - Aug 30
7 night min stay
Discounts: 21 nights or more: $555 Nightly
Sep 1 - Sep 29
7 night min stay
Discounts: 14 nights or more: $450 Nightly
Oct 1 - Oct 14
7 night min stay
Discounts: 14 nights or more: $375 Nightly
Additional information about rental rates
Tenant is responsible for electricity IN EXCESS of $200/month, pro rata.
Tenant is responsible for heating oil consumed IN EXCESS of 1/4 tank per month/pro rata.
Accounting will be provided within 15 days of end of lease period.
1/3 with contract
1/3 60 days prior to rental
1/3 2 weeks prior to rental
Additional Fees and Taxes:
7% Maine Rental Tax, payable with 1st deposit.
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
- Nearest Airport: Bar Harbor Airport (Trenton, Maine) at 14 Miles
- Nearest Ferry: Isleford Ferry to Cranberry Islands at 0.2 Miles
- Nearest Train: Portland, Maine AMTRAK at 152 Miles
- Nearest Motorway: Maine Route 198 at 0.2 Miles
- Nearest Beach: Sand Beach, Acadia National Park at 10 Miles
- Nearest Barpub: The Colonel's at 0.1 Miles
- Nearest Ski: Sugarloaf Mountain at 95 Miles
- Nearest Golf: Northeast Harbor Golf Club at 2 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: Watermark at Kimball Terrace Inn at 0.2 Miles
Year Purchased: 1965
About the owner: I am a 5th generation Northeast Harbor native, now residing half time in Northeast Harbor and half time in southern California. My wife was born in New York and schooled in Maine and Massachusetts. She is a retired elementary school teacher and avid tennis player. My great grandfather built the gate-houses for John Rockefeller, Jr., in what is now Acadia National Park. My grandfather was a Senator in the state, and a member of the House of Representatives in Augusta, Maine. My father, who grew up on the island and whose picture is on a bookcase in the living room, joined the Army Air Force, flew B-17s, and was killed in WW-II in 1944. You will see his name on the plaque in the town green by the marina. My mother remarried, and I grew up in New Hampshire and metropolitan New York, spending vacations in Maine. In 1965, as I was entering my senior year at Dartmouth College, I purchased the home from my Grandmother to enable her to continue to live there. Over the last 45 years, the seasons of our life have revolved around time in Northeast Harbor. Our children spent summers there and, when we lost our 18 year old daughter in her freshman year at UCLA, it was to our cottage life in Northeast Harbor that we returned to recover and be made whole again. Hence, we changed the name of our cottage from Bragdon Cottage to the Healing Porch. Today, our grandchildren are coming to know Northeast Harbor as we have.
Why the Owner Chose Northeast Harbor:
Mt. Desert Island is, like the isle of Iona, off Scotland, a 'thin space', that being a place where the connection between the temporal and the eternal is very close, very accessible. Anyone who visits the island intuitively understands this phenomenon, and it may account for the many, many generations of families who visit only to return again and again. The Healing Porch is not unique in Northeast Harbor, but it is special in evoking the reaction from many tenants that 'this is what a summer home should be like'. The original name of the cottage, Bragdon Cottage, describes it's origins. It was built in 1899 for Sarah Bragdon from Philadelphia. Miss Bragdon subsequently sold it in the 20's and it was purchased by my grandfather in the 1930's. My father and his spent their teen years in Bragdon Cottage. Designed in the grand Philadelphia style, the cottage once featured amenities such as service quarters and bells in bedrooms to call for breakfast. It is evocative of grand times past, but contains the modern conveniences we all have come to expect in today's lifestyles.
The Unique Benefits at this Cottage:
We have memories of earliest days here at Healing Porch, of my wife sitting and nursing our children on the window seat between the 1st and 2nd floors...of our daughter doing the same. The many special spots from the quiet retreat on the 3rd floor, where we go when company gets too much, to the 'Maids Quarters' off the landing between the 2nd and 3rd floor that affords a special privacy for the many house guests who will visit you while you are here, Healing Porch is filled with pleasant surprises. Kids will love the retreat to the study with the cable TV, DVR and VCR and two sofas - a place where they can find privacy while parents enjoy a fire in the living room fireplace..
- Primary: 7147473107 7147473107
- Fax: +1 888-674-9177 888-674-9177
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
The HEALING PORCH, as seen from Rock End Road. Close by the Fleet and Main St.
Enjoying the hammock in the glade at Healing Porch.
The Living Room, looking to the East Porch
Healing Porch's dining room with classic hutch.
The study, with two sofas, wing chair, flat screen TV and bath with shower.
2nd Bedroom with Twin bed and fireplace on 2nd floor.
3 Beds available on the 3rd floor in the south-facing bedroom.
Twin bed in the Maid's Quarters.
Full bathroom in Maid's Quarters.
Jordan Pond Gatehouse, built by great-grandfather of the owner of Healing Porch
A walk in the park...from Echo Lake Cliffs
Two paths in the woods...markers on the Carriage Trails in Acadia Nat. Park
As you come in from the driveway, Healing Porch's spacious exposure welcomes...
The main entrance on the south, with Maid's Quarters on the left.
The Living Room, looking to the South and West Porches and Dutch Door.
A modern kitchen, with all conveniences, including washer drier in door on left.
The master bedroom, with Queen bed, two closets and fireplace.
3rd bedroom with two beds on 2nd floor (4th BR on 2nd floor not shown)
Full bathroom as shown on the 3rd floor
Two single beds in the Maid's Quarters
Sailboats racing and views of the islands from the Fleet near Healing Porch
As you walk in Acadia National Park, few places are as beautiful as Jordan Pond.
Colors at the Asticou Inn's Azalea Gardens in Northeast Harbor.
Whatever path you choose...it leads back to the Healing Porch.
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2012.
Date last modified - Tuesday, December 17, 2013
7 Bedroom / 4.5 Bathroom
Get an instant quote
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.