Best View in Beaufort. Pristinely Clean Waterfront Home.
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:1 night
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Beaufort chateau / country house description
Waters Edge: A vacation perfected by nature. This waterfront property is ideal for folks who are seeking quiet time in a beautiful natural lowcountry setting. Best suited for folks with a soft foot print, who are environmentally, ecologically and economically oriented. We are ecolodge oriented and we have all the amenities. The house and property are limited to 6 guests. Come enjoy our November shake up, new duvet covers and professionally washed windows!
Please click on Video on top of this page to see the property from above. We and our guests think our little 3 acres is paradise and we'd love to share it with you. Come watch the sunset over the water. Watch for dolphins. Observe the plentiful wader birds, along with osprey, hawks, eagles, king fishers. The tall alive marsh grass changes color with the season. See the sunrise illuminate the marsh.
The home is one story, 1,200 sq. feet with a 528 sq. foot waterfront deck. Each room has a view. The home has central heat and air conditioning. This is a no smoking house, no pet property. Our guests love and respect home and land, many have said to me, 'this is not a house it's a home away from home!' My calendar is updated daily.
December and January are horse back riding months on the beach. Ask Cheryl for stables that will take horses to the beach for you (Hunting Island only allows horses on the beach in the winter).
For folks who come to the Lowcountry to see Charleston, Savannah, Beaufort, Hunting Island or Hilton Head this is an ideal central location. The house is in-between Charleston and Savannah. Our location is perfect for Parris Island graduation families.
Check out the places to go, restaurants, attractions, events I have added to this VRBO page via Gogobot. See this list, with reviews, photos and maps under our house location map on this page. To see all the Gogobot area listings at once after the last listing on the first list click on 'view guide.' I also have an area places manuel in the house along with brochures and booklets including Charleston, Savannah and Beaufort.
Bring your boat, plenty of parking for the trailer at the house. Beaufort County has many free boat ramps. Our dock has a floater that will hold a small craft, i.e. kayak. It is good for boarding your kayak from. Our dock is subject to the tide.
Downtown Beaufort is a 304-acre National Landmark Historic District located about 15 minutes from the house. October 4, 2013 Beaufort earned the distinction of 1 of '10 Great Neighborhoods' by The American Planning Association. In June 2013, Beaufort was named 'The Happiest Seaside Town.' Be sure to enjoy downtown Beaufort while you are here.
This is what Professor Emeritus Dr. Larry Rowland, our great local historian has to say about our area. 'This coastline has more aesthetic tourist values than if you were to combine Yellowstone Park and Williamsburg. The Lowcountry is one of the most aesthetic places in America. Every person who comes here mentions that. You have tidal water and land and sea and sky. You've got this very unusual atmosphere. This is the most humid part of the United States...from Charleston to Jacksonville. So what it creates, as a 19th century poet said, 'is a sky of a softer blue.' The colors become muted. And that creates an imagery. It creates an aesthetic in people's mind. The colors merge together. And, since it is semi-tropical, you have all these flowers and birds that you do not have anywhere else in the United States. Then you see these oak trees that do not grow anywhere else. These are densest, largest, and oldest trees in America outside of California. So you have this unusually romantic aesthetic that just strikes people.
It's not just the visual. It's actually the tactile feel because you come here and you smell the marshes. Then all of a sudden you see the oysters the size of your hand. All of these things just affect people. These things don't exist anyplace else in the United States. So it is very unique. When people visit us they see and witness a culture that is uniquely different. It is so different that they almost feel as if they are visiting another country. The food is distinctive. The church, and its music, are more important. Our dialect, and even our manners, are different. The Gullahs are our neighbors. It is these aesthetics that people react to without even being able to describe them.
Then, you have a historic aesthetic. We have 500 years of history that is actually here. America started here...not in Jamestown, Plymouth Rock, or St. Augustine. And we have the icons, the artifacts of that history visible to us all over the place. It's this total effect that strikes people. We have 300 years of commentary that says the same thing in every generation. 'This are is so unusual.' 'What a volume of history is here.' And everybody has the same human reaction to it.' - Larry Rowland
In the home the master suite has a king bed with seasonal linens, a furnished sitting room, and bathroom with W/D. All linens are 100% cotton. The second bedroom has a queen bed. The third bedroom has two xl twin beds that can be converted into a king (if you want them converted to a king please request in advance of arrival). Each bedroom has a portable fan and night stands with lamps. The great room has a new kitchen and living room. Our home was renovated in 2009. The kitchen has all the amenities. The sliding glass door offers a great view. The home and yard have many pieces of original art.
The deck is 528 sq. feet shaded by a 300 year old live oak tree. Deck is furnished with a hammock, picnic table, rocking chairs, chairs, small tables and a ring toss game. There is a fire ring for out door fires, wood and starter kindling provided.
Enjoy the sunset from the deck, dock or yard. Bring your own kayak or canoe, on a per person basis our tandem kayak or canoe are available. Behind the home is a one acre forest with wood boardwalk to stroll. This is a great place to take a personal retreat alone or with loved ones in a naturally beautiful setting.
Wildlife is plentiful, especially dolphins and wader birds. The live oak trees are beautiful. The spirited sky will stop you in your tracks! Benches, portable chairs and grass mats are available for the sit spot you are drawn to. Four bronze sculptures by the home owner grace the grounds.
Two yoga mats, yoga blocks and yoga strap available. There are board games, card games, cd's, binoculars and a small library.
Outdoor toys include badminton/volleyball, tetherball, frisbee, paddle ball, soft & hard ball with bat and gloves, football, misc. balls, jumprope, ring toss, swing. Art and SoulCollage® supplies are available upon request.
Hair dryer, toiletries, sunscreen, sound machine, tv trays, back jacks etc. are available. If something is not in the house that you desire please call homeowners, we live next door and are happy to accommodate.
- 1200 sq. ft.
- Chateau / Country House
- 1 story
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Housekeeper Optional
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Pets Not Allowed
Bedrooms: 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6, Beds for 6
- Master Bedroom includes king bed with seasonal linens, night tables with lamps, closet, chest of drawers with mirror, luggage stand, 3 screened windows, personal fan, overhead lighting, nightlight that is also a flash light, two bedroom chairs, laminate wood floor with area rugs. Sitting room is part of the master bedroom and has a desk. Bathroom is new and has a shower and W/D. Bedroom 2 includes a queen bed with seasonal linens, night tables with lamps, closet, small chest of drawers, luggage stand, stool, 1 screened window, personal fan, overhead lighting, nightlight that is also a flash light, laminate wood floor with area rugs. Bedroom 3 includes two twin extra long beds with seasonal linens, night tables with lamps, closet, 2 luggage stands, 1 screened window, personal fan, overhead lighting, nightlight that is also a flash light, laminate wood floor with area rugs. Bedroom 2 & 3 share a full bath....moreless
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms
Kitchen & Dining
Dishes & Utensils:
Dinner & salad plates, bowls, serving bowls, mugs, silverware, utensils, pots, pans, baking dishes. If need something specific please request. Stemware includes wine, champagne and beer glasses....moreless
- Pantry Items:
- Coffee Maker:
- Dining Area Seats:
- Living Room seats 6:
- Linens Provided:
- Fitness Room / Equipment:
- Washing Machine:
- Towels Provided:
- Air Conditioning:
- If there is anything you need that is not listed please ask, owner lives next door and loves to accommodate. Outdoor fire ring with wood and kindling provided is on the edge of the water. Binoculars. Sunscreen. 5 extra outdoor chairs in garage, enter door next to big garage door. Grass mats available to port to your favorite sit spot, they are in brown deck box. 4 benches outside....moreless
- Music Library:
Lawn / Garden:
The home sits on half acre with a 1 acre forest behind it. Flowering shrubs and plants. Bronze sculpture. Beautiful grass. Shaded by live oaks. Dock. Lawn chairs. Fire ring, wood & kindling provided....moreless
- Deck / Patio:
- Outdoor Grill:
- Kayak / Canoe:
- Away From It All
Location & View
- Hunting Small Game
- Pier Fishing
- Fly Fishing
- Fitness Center
- Equestrian Events
- Basketball Court
- Surf Fishing
- Roller Blading
- Deepsea Fishing
- Medical Services
- Recreation Center
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Eco Tourism
- Live Theater
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
- Outlet Shopping
- Massage Therapist
- Bird Watching
- Horseback Riding
- Wildlife Viewing
- This home and property lends itself to folks wanting to relax in a gorgeous natural setting, where dolphins and wader birds are plentiful. The unobstructed view has gorgeous sunsets and lively marsh grass that changes color by the season. Enjoy the view from the hammock, rocking chairs or picnic table on the spacious 528' deck shaded by 300 year old live oaks. Relax on the dock, a special place at sunset or sunrise. Behind the house is a one acre of forest with pathway for strolling. We are located on the edge of the ACE Basin. One of the largest undeveloped estuaries on the east coast of the United States. The ACE (Ashepoo, Combahee and South Edisto rivers) Basin consists of approximately 350,000 acres of diverse habitats including pine and hardwood uplands, forested wetlands, fresh, brackish and salt water tidal marshes, barrier islands and beaches. Boating, bird watching, hiking, biking, fishing, and driving tours are available in the ACE Basin. The Donnelley WMA (wildlife management area) and Botany Bay WMA are beautiful and close to the home. Hunting Island State Park is 28 miles east. It is 5,000 wooded acres with 3 miles of Atlantic Ocean beach. Hunting Island has hiking and biking trails, fishing pier, nature center with excellent classes and events, lighthouse, marsh board walk and as much sun as one can take! House comes with a pass (without pass entry fee is $5./per person) January and February horse back riding is allowed on the beach. Deep Sigh Horse Farm will take the horses our for you to ride on the beach. Downtown Beaufort is 10 miles east. Beaufort has 304 acres on the National Register of Historic Places and is a National Historic Landmark District. Carriage, walking and boat tours available. Beaufort has many delicious restaurants, unique shops, art galleries, antique and thrift shops. The Waterfront Park in downtown Beaufort is lovely, with a play ground and lots of adult swings. Beaufort Kayak Tours has historic and nature based tours that are excellent. No experience required. Beaufort Arts Council sponsors many art and music events. There are many ruins as close as 5 miles. Two fishing piers within 2 miles. Check out the Farmers Market in Port Royal on Saturday morning. Photo Safaris available with Eric Horan that are excellent. Drive-In movie theater. Bruster's Ice Cream oh so yummy. Geocaching in the area. SuZara's bakery is great. Get a coconut cake! Have a massage with Phoebe at Organika Salon. Take a yoga class at Yoga Chandra. Beaufort has many golf courses. There are many fellows who offer fishing charters. Or bring your own boat Beaufort has many free boat ramps. Plenty of parking for your boat at the house. This is what Professor Emeritus Dr. Larry Rowland, our great local historian has to say about our area. 'This coastline has more aesthetic tourist values than if you were to combine Yellowstone Park and Williamsburg. The Lowcountry is one of the most aesthetic places in America. Every person who comes here mentions that. You have tidal water and land and sea and sky. You've got this very unusual atmosphere. This is the most humid part of the United States...from Charleston to Jacksonville. So what it creates, as a 19th century poet said, 'is a sky of a softer blue.' The colors become muted. And that creates an imagery. It creates an aesthetic in people's mind. The colors merge together. And, since it is semi-tropical, you have all these flowers and birds that you do not have anywhere else in the United States. Then you see these oak trees that do not grow anywhere else. These are densest, largest, and oldest trees in America outside of California. So you have this unusually romantic aesthetic that just strikes people. It's not just the visual. It's actually the tactile feel because you come here and you smell the marshes. Then all of a sudden you see the oysters the size of your hand. All of these things just affect people. These things don't exist anyplace else in the United States. So it is very unique. When people visit us they see and witness a culture that is uniquely different. It is so different that they almost feel as if they are visiting another country. The food is distinctive. The church, and its music, are more important. Our dialect, and even our manners, are different. The Gullahs are our neighbors. It is these aesthetics that people react to without even being able to describe them. Then, you have a historic aesthetic. We have 500 years of history that is actually here. America started here...not in Jamestown, Plymouth Rock, or St. Augustine. And we have the icons, the artifacts of that history visible to us all over the place. It's this total effect that strikes people. We have 300 years of commentary that says the same thing in every generation. 'This are is so unusual.' 'What a volume of history is here.' And everybody has the same human reaction to it.' - Larry Rowland...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
Beautiful PropertyGuest comment entered by owner
Quoted from the guest book. "What a beautiful property you have! It's a little slice of heaven. We wanted to spend some down time hanging out to see if we'd like to build a home here one day. After our stay we've decided this is where we want to end up. We'll be back down in the Spring and would love to stay with you again. 18 McCalley Creek had everything we needed... kitchen stuff, outside stuff, and a fantastic view! We enjoyed the fire pit and the fact your place is so clean!"
- Guest Kim
- Date of stay 11/26/13
- Review Submitted 12/01/13
Recommended for anyone
- Guest MIcah S.
- Date of stay 11/15/13
- Review Submitted 11/25/13
Recommended for: Age 55+.
Owner response: Especially those who love the great outdoors. The marsh grass is a variegated beautiful gold right now. Great time for outdoor fires.
Lovely view, stunningly clean!
Lovely view, stunningly clean!
Cheryl has thought of every last detail to make you feel at home in this retreat by the creek! It is a truly peaceful home, yet only a quick drive to downtown Beaufort. We highly recommend this vacation rental.
- Guest J S.
- Date of stay 11/08/13
- Review Submitted 11/13/13
Recommended for: Girls getaway, age 55+, romantic getaway, sightseeing.
Owner response: Come see the golden marsh grass, illuminated by the sunrise and sunset. Truly a gorgeous time of the year here. And a great time for an outdoor fire, wood provided. Just got new linens!
Extraordinary RetreatGuest comment entered by owner
Taken from the guest book. "We had a lovely, peaceful weekend in this extraordinary retreat. Much time was spent watching the changing light from the back deck while our girls happily played in the yard (you have the most perfect swing, by the way)." Off the retreat grounds: "Our exploration of Hunting Island was magical!"
- Guest Jami
- Date of stay 11/07/13
- Review Submitted 11/11/13
Very Nice Vacation
Very Nice Vacation
The property was just as described. Clean, neat, and well maintained. Beautiful sunsets from the rear deck overlooking the marsh and the creek. We had a few minor problems, but Cheryl handled them very well and went out of her way to make sure our stay was a pleasant experience. I would recommend this property to anyone that is looking for a quite and peaceful place to stay. I would definitely stay again.
- Guest Bradley S.
- Date of stay 10/27/13
- Review Submitted 11/05/13
Recommended for: Age 55+, adventure seekers, romantic getaway, sightseeing.
Owner response: Was wonderful to see these guests relax by an evening outdoor fire twice. The washing machine door latch broke and fortunately I had it replaced within 10 minutes, a benefit of being next door!
Marsh over Oceanfront any day!Guest comment entered by owner
Marsh over Oceanfront any day!
Email received after guest stay. "We loved the house. It worked perfectly for our needs. The space was great and the location was amazing. Everyone was blown away by all of your attention to detail; it seems that you have thought of everything and put lots of love and time into the house. The only downside was that we were so busy and only stayed 2 nights. I'm already dreaming of a longer, less busy stay in the future. Once again, we loved it, everything was perfect. I would take a great view of the marshes over oceanfront any day, they're so interesting and beautiful!"
- Guest Casey
- Date of stay 10/25/13
- Review Submitted 11/05/13
Place is greatGuest comment entered by owner
Place is great
We had a wonderful time, your place is great! Hope to visit again.
- Guest Rose
- Date of stay 10/18/13
- Review Submitted 10/25/13
Would absolutely recommend. Made my sons Marines graduation that much better.
- Guest semper fi (boothwyn pa)
- Date of stay 10/16/13
- Review Submitted 10/21/13
Recommended for: Families with teenagers.
Owner response: We are glad to be here for graduation families. Come enjoy this beautiful slice of the Lowcountry. It's natural beauty can't be beat. The sunsets are the prettiest in the autumn.
Excellent stay in a secluded and lovely spot.
Excellent stay in a secluded and lovely spot.
Listing was comprehensive and completely accurate. The listing photos accurately depict the facility and location but do not do the actual facility and site proper justice. Property was spotless and incredibly well equipped. The owner has provided copious notes and information on every aspect of the use of their facility and local services and attractions. We stayed for five days and found the experience relaxing and very rewarding. We came to attend the graduation of our grandson from Marine Recruit Basic Training at Parris Island Marine Training Station. This was an excellent place to stay for this purpose. The beds were very comfortable and the kitchen fully equipped. The laundry facilities were excellent as was the air conditioning. The deck on the rear of the home has comfortable seating and a truly lovely view. The surrounding area is flat and great for walking. There are two IKEA chairs in the living room which are so comfortable we ordered one when we got home. The home is decorated in quality artwork and good furniture. Beaufort, SC, is about 15 miles away and has full services for visitors. The location is in middle of a historic antebellum region in Beaufort, SC, Savannah, GA and Charleston, SC. We found the experience of staying here an excellent value for the money. The owner was very forthcoming and most helpful prior to arriving, while we were there and after we returned home. The contract and the owner's expectations are very clearly stated and easy to comply with. We would stay here again should circumstances bring us this way again.
- Guest Betty W.
- Date of stay 10/02/13
- Review Submitted 10/17/13
Recommended for: Girls getaway, age 55+, romantic getaway, sightseeing.
Owner response: We do have our guests covered! And we love to have you. Autumn is a beautiful time in the Lowcountry. Have a fire in the fire ring along with some yummy smores! Take a time out before the holiday season.
I don't want to leave!Guest comment entered by owner
I don't want to leave!
After asking us if we were the owners, this is what our guest said! "If I win the lottery tonight, I'll make you an offer you can't refuse."
- Guest Donna
- Date of stay 09/11/13
- Review Submitted 09/16/13
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
|My Standard Rate
1 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
For Parris Island graduate families please check with CSA Travel Protection Insurance 800.349.8218. This is an option in case your family member does not graduate when expected. The cost is around $39. Please note CSA insurance does have a physician statement requirement.
- Cleaning fee: $60
- Taxes Included
Policy available by contacting owner when booking.
This owner accepts HomeAway payments.
Always use this free service to protect your payments up to $10,000 against fraud while keeping your financial information private. With HomeAway Payments, your credit card information is not seen by the owner or manager. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Call the owner to confirm booking request.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
- Nearest Airport: Savannah/Hilton Head International at 50 Miles
- Nearest Train: Yemessee at 15 Miles
- Nearest Motorway: Hwy. 21 at 1.2 Miles
- Nearest Beach: Hunting Island State Park at 28 Miles
- Nearest Golf: Sanctuary Golf Club Cat Island at 17 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: Lowcountry Produce at 2.5 Miles
Year Purchased: 2009
About the owner: Cheryl Mansson, MA and Norman Mansson, MS love living on McCalley Creek next door to our guest home. We are both nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts who are smitten with living on the tidal salt marsh of McCalley Creek. Cheryl has lived in the Lowcountry for 32 years and Norman for 12 years. We enjoy our seven grandchildren. Norman has 3 married children in Portland, OR, Charlotte, NC and Mt. Pleasant, SC. Cheryl has a masters degree in Counseling. Norman has a masters degree in Engineering. He has a small manufacturing company in Varnville, SC. Norman is also a sculptor, you will see 4 of his life-size children statues in the yard of the guest home and one in front of the library in downtown Beaufort. Norman grew up in Mt. Kisco, NY and has lived in CT, WA and WY. Cheryl grew up in Litchfield, NY, a dairy farming community on the edge of the Adirondack Mountains. Cheryl lived on a 26' Columbia sailboat for 7 years and spent many years cruising. Downtown Beaufort was Cheryl's home for 25 years, and briefly in Yukutat, AK. We have traveled extensively and are delighted (through experience) to provide what travelers need. Our favorite place is home sweet home on McCalley Creek.
Why the Owner Chose Beaufort:
This is the ideal place to unplug and relax in natural lowcountry beauty. The 800' view of expansive tidal salt marsh on deep McCalley Creek was just what we were looking for. The sunsets take our breath away. For early risers the sunlight illuminates the marsh as the sun rises. We love the serenity of our private setting. Dolphin sightings are common, especially in the summer. We have many wader birds ie blue and green herons, egrets, ibis, wood storks.. We also see and hear osprey, hawks, woodpeckers, owls, king fishers, hummingbirds, bluebirds, cardinals, wren, gray catbirds, crows.. Cheryl has seen two bald eagles. There is a one acre forest with a board walk to enjoy. Many 100's of years old mighty live oaks provide a wonderful shade canopy. The home is clean as a whistle and completely furnished. Only 8 minutes to Bruster's Ice Cream yummy! 11 miles to downtown Historic Beaufort with many delicious restaurants, unique shops and art galleries. Hunting Island State Park a pristine Atlantic Ocean beach is 28 miles. The property boarders the ACE (Ashepoo, Combahee, Edisto Rivers) Basin 350,000 acres of diverse habitats including pine and hardwood uplands, forested wetlands, fresh, brackish and salt water tidal marshes, barrier islands and beaches. Take a hike, boating, bird watching, drive the ACE Basin. We have created a great deal of landscaping which we enjoy. In a nutshell pristine nature in a quiet private setting is why we live here. We are smitten with our place!
The Unique Benefits at this Chateau / Country House:
The waterfront view is outstanding, unobstructed by docks, a rarity in Beaufort County. The sunsets are stellar. The marsh is ever changing. The flow of the tide in and out is peaceful. Kayaking and canoeing from the front yard. At high tide take a swim in the creek. The night sky is gorgeous. The moon beams on the water. Many species of birds. Dolphin. We shrimp and crab. The live oaks shade the deck and make it a great place to lay in the hammock enjoy the view, meditate, contemplate, be inspired, read... Great place to be artistic, art and collage supplies available. Nature lovers dream. Within 10 minutes is anything you may need, yet at the house it's you and nature.
- Primary: 843.466.0764 before 9pm EST
- Secondary: 843.441.0764 Before 9pm EST
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Tranquility on the creek.
Dolphin right in front of the house.
Great room has a sliding glass door view to the right.
Master suite with sitting room, full bath and W/D.
XL twin bedroom.
Summers day on McCalley Creek at high tide.
Relax in the hammock, have a picnic, put your feet up.. on the 528 sq.ft. deck.
Relax in the hammock with a stellar water view, shaded by the live oak canopy.
Bird life is abundant on McCalley Creek.
Another gorgeous sunset.
Yucca blooms cover the bank in July.
Enjoy a stroll through the forest.
Sunset on the dock or deck is waiting for you!
Master suite, king bed.
Bathroom for the queen and xl twin bedrooms.
Sunset at high tide. Pink sky at night occupants delight!
Enjoy the deck. Picnic table and hammock with a stellar view.
Cloud at 18 McCalley Creek
Hydrangeas greet you in the summer.
Winters day sunrise. Marsh grass is golden in the winter.
Osprey with a flounder it caught. Taking a rest in front of the house!
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2012.
Date last modified - Saturday, December 14, 2013
3 Bedroom / 2 Bathroom
Get a rental quote, then book it!
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.