Casa Maria - Converted Barn in Figueira, Western Algarve
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:3-7 nights
- Pets considered:Ask Owner
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Budens cottage description
Casa Maria is a charming property cleverly converted from a barn over the course of three years, and completed in 2010. By clever use of many original features and reuse of as much of the existing wood as possible the house has retained much of its character and rustic feel, while being equipped and furnished to a high standard. The house is entered from the street by a set of wooden doors, which open onto a patio area, equipped with table and chairs, a sun umbrella, and a barbecue. This is completely private, as it is surrounded by a high stone wall. The house front door is a stable type door, leading into the spacious kitchen diner, with seating for six adults. The kitchen is extremely well equipped with washing machine, hob and oven, fridge/freezer, dishwasher, microwave, and coffee machine. There is ample counter space and basic food items are supplied, ie coffee, tea etc, as well as detergents for the machines. We also put in a welcome food pack which consists of bread, milk, fruit, water, wine et. Also on the ground floor is the bathroom, which boasts a bath / shower, bidet, W.C. and handbasin. There is always abundant hot water from the 300 litre solar water heater. The main bedroom has a double bed in it, plus wardrobe and chest of drawers, and is equipped with three way air conditioning. Also on the ground floor is the second bedroom, with twin beds and a fitted wardrobe and chest of drawers. An open stairway leads from the kitchen/diner upstairs to the living room, which has seating for five round a coffee table. This room has three way air conditioning. There is satellite TV, a DVD player and unlimited WiFi access in this room. Large sliding glass doors lead out onto a covered terrace on this floor, with a table and chairs providing seating for five persons. There is an outside stairway leading from this terrace down to the patio on the ground floor.
- 100 m²
- 2 story
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Limited Accessibility:
- Children Welcome:
Bedrooms: 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 5, Beds for 2-5
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom
Kitchen & Dining
- Pantry Items:
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Dining Area Seats:
- Child's Highchair
- Coffee Maker
- Clothes Dryer:
- Towels Provided:
- Washing Machine:
- Linens Provided:
- The unspoilt Algarve is a paradise for nature lovers, with a wealth of wild flowers in the Spring, migratory birds Spring and Autumn, butterflies, bees plus if you are lucky you might glimpse wild boar, Egyptian mongoose, and of course dolphins off the coast. The walks are getting better and better marked, with the Algarvian Way gaining popularity. Cycling is superb as well, with quiet country routes, and it is possible to take a bike on the train for free to explore different areas of the region....moreless
- Satellite / Cable:
- DVD Player
- Deck / Patio:
- Outdoor Grill:
- Water Sports Gear:
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Deepsea Fishing
- Mountain Biking
- Scuba Diving Or Snorkeling
- Surf Fishing
- Jet Skiing
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Eco Tourism
- Scenic Drives
- Wildlife Viewing
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Bird Watching
- Fitness Center
- The house is set in a national park, which has stunning beaches on the west and south coast of the Atlantic Ocean, as well as spectacular countryside which is protected from over development. The area is a paradise for nature lovers who are looking for a holiday to get away from city noise and hustle and bustle of modern life, and the village of Figueira, while retaining its old world charm and tranquillity also has all amenities close to hand. There is a well marked walking trail from the tip of the Western Algarve all the way across to the Spain / Portugal border in the east, plus a cycling track . The Algarve is well known for its high number of hours of sunshine, and many visitors prefer to visit during Autumn, Spring and Winter, when temperatures are lower than in the summer but there is still a good chance of sunshine and bright clear days. In the Spring the display of wild flowers is amazing, and the area is also well known for the number of migratory birds through in the Spring and autumn. Even in the hotter months of summer there is often a breeze blowing, and at night it is delightful to enjoy sitting outside, eating and drinking at one of the local pavement cafes. The fishing village of Salema is a five minute drive away and has an abundance of excellent restaurants where locally caught fish is often served. Sagres, known as 'the end of the world' is about a 20 minute drive away, and is full of history with Henry the Navigator having had a marine school there. Cape St Vincent nearby is the site of a famous lighthouse with a museum attached, showing aspects of local history. The nearest town of any size is Lagos, about a 15 minute drive away. Here you can find an excellent fish market with a section for fresh fruit and vegetables, plus a small museum. Lagos is a walled town and is full of winding cobbled streets. There is a lively night life in the summer particularly and plenty of street entertainment. There are also excellent restaurants and many bars open till the early hours. The marina is very attractive and there are many boat trips and marine activities on offer, including day sailing, visiting the sea caves, and dolphin watching, plus fishing trips. ...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
A little bit of everything
A little bit of everything
This beautifully renovated farmhouse has everything you need, including multiple patios to relax on, lofty ceilings to keep away the heat and a beautifully-stocked kitchen with all the staples, including local cheese, bread and wine. The house is in a tiny village with tiny shops, a half-hour walk from the little cove town of Salema, and there are scenic walks aplenty. Short driving trips include the spectacular cliffs where fishermen perch hundreds of metres above the water, many little scenic towns, and the beach towns of the Algarve. There are two large supermarkets a quick drive away and a small shop next door, and bread and fish trucks stop in Salema in the morning. There is an Indian restaurant in town, and many restaurants specializing in local fish down in Salema. The kitchen has everything and there is a barbeque on the patio. The owner-operator is friendly and helpful. This is a lovely place to stay and I would certainly come back.
- Guest Margaret M.
- Date of stay 12/30/12
- Review Submitted 06/30/13
Recommended for: Romantic getaway, sightseeing, age 55+.
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Jan 5 - Mar 22, 2014
3 night min stay
Mar 23 - May 17, 2014
3 night min stay
May 18 - Jun 28, 2014
3 night min stay
Jun 29 - Jul 19, 2014
3 night min stay
Jul 20 - Sep 13, 2014
3 night min stay
Sep 15 - Oct 26
4 night min stay
|My Standard Rate
4 night min stay
Fri, Sat, Sun
Additional information about rental rates
The property will only be shown as reserved on the calendar once the deposit is received.
a 25% deposit by way of bank transfer is required to secure the booking, with the balance payable on arrival at the property, in cash.
- Taxes Not included
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
- Nearest Airport: Faro at 60 Miles
- Nearest Train: Lagos at 9 Miles
- Nearest Motorway: A22 Motorway at 9 Miles
- Nearest Beach: Figueira at 1 Miles
- Nearest Barpub: Taberna Bar, Figueira at 10 Metres
- Nearest Golf: Parque da Floresta Golf and Leisure Resort at 1 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: O Sapinho, Figueira at 50 Metres
Year Purchased: 2005
About the owner: My husband Tony and I have lived in this area for around twenty-five years and brought our two children up here. We are both fluent Portuguese speakers and have many friends in the local community. Our main residence is 3 miles north of the town of Lagos, but we like to take mini breaks in Figueira when it is not occupied. We are both retired now having been involved in business in the Algarve, and we now spend our free time looking after our 11 acre property, and also running half marathons and doing long cycle rides in the area. We have a dog who loves to run on the beach so we take him as often as possible. It is under two hours to the Spanish border so we often go to Spain for short holidays. Our house is only a 25 minute drive from Casa Maria so I always try to meet and greet clients personally and show them round.
Why the Owner Chose Budens:
Casa Maria offers the best of both worlds, having character and charm while being well equipped for modern day living. The south west corner of the Algarve has a micro climate which means that it has outstanding natural beauty and because of being a protected area there is very little development to spoil this. The beaches nearby, particularly on the West coast, are some of the most beautiful I have ever seen, and are never crowded.
The Unique Benefits at this Cottage:
We fell in love with Casa Maria because of its outside space. There are other delightful properties in the village of Figueira but very few offer guests the chance to experience the wonderful climate in a private outdoor area, just outside the kitchen so eating meals Al fresco is convenient and a pleasure.
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Kitchen dining room with small seating area
Private walled patio leading into kitchen
View of kitchen dining room from living room
Upstairs living room
Upstairs shaded terrace leading to living room
Twin bedroom with doorway towards the kitchen
Upstairs living room with seating for five, wi-fi, DVD player and TV
Shaded terrace on first floor with access to living room
External stairs from patio up to shaded terrace
bathroom with bath tub/shower, bidet, WC, handbasin
seating area in kitchen
Ground floor patio with barbecue, table and chairs and easy chairs
Kitchen dining room
Ground floor patio with wooden floors out on to quiet village street
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2012.
Date last modified - Tuesday, November 26, 2013
2 Bedroom / 1 Bathroom
Get an instant quote
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.