Rustic - Repurposed Cabin Close to Cedar Point
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:1-2 nights
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Sandusky cabin description
Dancing Fox Cabin is in keeping with our circa 1842 farmstead home ambiance. Often early settlers would erect a simple cabin on the same property prior to building a more permanent home and Dancing Fox Cabin is a reflection and our vision of one of those early structures.
With it’s rural locale setting, simple shed roof style outline, barn wood exterior cladding, interior walls sheathed in white-washed boards, wide-plank pine flooring, rustic hand-made kitchen cabinetry and barn beam framing….you will be enveloped by the subtle feelings of our pioneers, a sense of soothing well-being and one of a simpler more calmer lifestyle with some modern amenities.
The Dancing Fox Cabin is your opportunity to experience what most lodging in Ohio doesn't offer. Imagine as you follow its pathway to your front porch, stepping across the threshold of your original swinging barn door entry and then begin feasting your eyes, spirit and senses upon … another time and another place.
Our settler-style cabin may, by itself, become an unforgettable highlight of your visit to our area. Our initial goal was to utilize in the building process as many re-claimed, re-cycled, vintage and antique materials in the construction of this self-built structure. To this end we were quite successful. We estimate that approximately 95% of its total materials have been salvaged and re-purposed from various sources in northern Ohio! The blending of all these various components into a harmonious finished product is one that is memorable, soothing, and yet to many, exciting. As different as the exterior’s first impression may be, the cabin’s interior is where your visual senses will be captivated. Wherever your eyes and hands rove you will discover subtly aged textures, hand created items and coordinated color palettes that enhance the feelings of rustic relaxation. These time-worn nuances now re-shed their light from simpler by-gone days and are captured by our cabin’s cozy environment. The lasting effect is one you won't forget. “Memories are made at the Dancing Fox Cabin.”
This “off the beaten path” farmland environment removes you from both the traffic and people congestion normally associated with other vacation rentals. Our centralized location is very convenient to the multitudes of attractions, events and activities found throughout the entire north central Ohio region. Lake Erie’s south shore, Cedar Point Amusement Park, fishing, boating, antique shops, dining, golfing, wineries and festivals are all within quick and easy driving distances. Major highways such as the Ohio Turnpike, U.S. State Rt. 20 and others are practically at your doorstep and conveniences for groceries and other neccessities are only minutes away.
Visit our website: www.dancingfoxcabin.com
- 1 story
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Pets Not Allowed:
- Children Welcome:
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Events Allowed
Bedrooms: 1 Bedroom, Sleeps 5, Beds for 4-5
- There is no walled off private bedroom in our re-purposed cabin’s continuous layout. The open concept lends a feeling of airiness and historically proper for simple cabin construction designs during early settlement days. The log framed queen size bunk bed is the dominant focal point of the cabin’s bedroom area. At one side of the bed is a handmade wardrobe clad with antique reddish-brown barn siding. This rustic wardrobe features plentiful wall hooks, shelving with baskets for clothing and a simple clothing rod which is 'limited' for storage so pack lightly. Resting at the foot of the log bed is a vintage cedar trunk for additional storage and an original primitive dry sink cupboard with shelves as well. From this open and undefined bedroom area you be able to freely converse with others in the cabin, watch the flat screen TV or fireplace and peer outside from the many windows scattered throughout the cabin. ...moreless
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom
- As you enter through the antique door leading to the bathroom, there is more primitive décor aspects as found throughout the cabin. The wooden floors continue on which were originally flooring in a hayloft. Another example is the bathroom vanity base cabinet Paul handmade from early 1900’s Wormy Chestnut and features a porcelain counter top surface once from an old Hoosier cupboard along with a repurposed sink. The shower stall walls are sheathed with large antique slate chalkboards formerly used to teach children in a local 1892 school house. On the wall above the commode you’ll find a rustic, handmade wall cupboard for storage and on another wall a vintage wood farm ladder for hanging towels. An abundance of clothing hook adorns the walls and door’s interior. And for your convenience, there is a commode and hot and cold running water! *smiles* ...moreless
Kitchen & Dining
A handmade cross-buck table built similar to tables used by our ancestors. Materials were salvaged from a local barn’s framework and two pieces of its wide-board siding. Has 2 benches and 2 chairs....moreless
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Pantry Items:
- Dining Area Seats:
- Coffee Maker
- Living Room seats 5:
- Clothes Dryer:
- Towels Provided:
- Linens Provided:
- If you are planning an event or surprise for someone, we would be more then happy to help with any special arrangements, ideas, decorations, food, flowers, etc. Also, our yard is large enough for small events and we do have a guest house on site also for accommodating a few extra people. Just let us know what you need so we can help you make your special occasion the best it can be without all the stress....moreless
Pool & Spa
- Lawn / Garden:
- Lanai / Gazebo:
- Deck / Patio:
- Away From It All
Location & View
- Basketball Court
- Fitness Center
- Massage Therapist
- Medical Services
- Hunting Small Game
- Jet Skiing
- Pier Fishing
- Freshwater Fishing
- Roller Blading
- Recreation Center
- Water Parks
- Theme Parks
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Live Theater
- Sight Seeing
- Scenic Drives
- Horseback Riding
- Bird Watching
- Winery Tours
- Wildlife Viewing
- The town of Bellevue is in the middle of everywhere! Any direction you choose to wander in, you will find something to see and do! Here are a few examples of attractions all within 10-30 minutes Cedar Point Amusement Park (Sandusky) 20 minutes - Mad River & NKP Railroad Museum (Bellevue) 10 minutes - Historical Lyme Village (Bellevue) 10 minutes - Seneca Caverns (Bellevue) 15 minutes - Rutherford Hayes Presidential Center with Museum and House Tours (Fremont) 20 minutes - Sorrowful Mother Shrine (Bellevue) 15 minutes - Edison's Birthplace (Milan) 15 minutes - The Berlin Fruit Box Company / Samuel Patterson Baskets (Berlin Heights) 25 minutes - Naturally Country Gifts and Decor 5000 sq feet of unique decor (Norwalk) 20 minutes - African Safari Wildlife Park (Port Clinton) 30 minutes - Marblehead Lighthouse and Keepers House (Marblehead) 30 minutes - Johnsons Island and Lakeside on Lake Erie (Marblehead) 30 minutes - Kalahari Indoor Waterpark (Sandusky) 20 minutes - Antique, Repurposed and Thrift Shops (located in various towns such as Bellevue, Milan, Fremont, Norwalk) 20 minutes - and so much more! Brochures of all kinds of attractions and things to do in our area will be made available in your cabin. NOTE: We also have a lovingly decorated, fully furnished 2nd floor guest house apartment on site for nightly and extended stay rental. Private entrance, complete kitchen, livingroom, kitchen nook, bath and more! See website at: www.ourguesthouse...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
It was nice to be away from all the hustle and bustle and take some time to relax. Loved the cabin had so much personality!! Also loved having a yard to have a fire, play football, and other games. The hot tub was nice too. Couldn't have asked for nicer hosts! Can't wait to go back!!!
- Guest Anonymous
- Date of stay 08/30/13
- Review Submitted 09/05/13
Recommended for: Families with young children, adventure seekers, romantic getaway.
My family and I chose the Dancing Fox Cabin because we didn't want to stay in a hotel environment!! And, We could have not been more pleased with our decision. The moment I saw it ,I loved it!! Paul and Janelle are 2 of the Miost amazing people to rent from!! The moment we got there we felt so welcomed!! The cabin is done in a primitive style but with the luxury of modern convenience. We just had to get groceries!! I highly recommend to anybody who wants to have the comfort of home while being away!! I am hoping to return for a"girl" getaway,!! Thank you Paul and Janelle for allowing us to enjoy your wonderful creation and for your hospitality!!!
- Guest charlotte y.
- Date of stay 07/14/13
- Review Submitted 07/28/13
Recommended for: Families with young children, adventure seekers, sightseeing, age 55+, girls getaway, families with teenagers, romantic getaway.
Owner response: Char, Charlie, Zach, Brent and Megan.....hello! We loved having you at the cabin and we sure enjoyed all the conversations and giggles! Paul and I are looking forward to heading in your direction in the near future....it sounds like beautiful countryside. Megan, I'm anxiously waiting for those pictures you took and Char, don't forget about the possible "girl trip" here sometime. Your family is so delightful and our door is always open. *smiles* Paul and Janell
Dancing Fox Cabin - A Real Jewel of Bellevue, Ohio
Dancing Fox Cabin - A Real Jewel of Bellevue, Ohio
We offer a great big thank you to our hosts (and new friends!), Janelle and Paul at Dancing Fox Cabin! When we arrived our eyes danced from the lush green yard to the big beautiful pines to the lovely gardening…then to the cabin in the distance. This cabin is a dream! Once inside you feel like you’ve stepped into another era with all the lovely antiques and collectibles. There are so many nice extra touches; one notable was the fresh cut flowers in little vases set out here and there. We felt spoiled with all the amenities that were offered to us…fluffy towels, a kitchen complete with everything we needed (we were excited to find microwave popcorn for a late night snack!), an amazingly comfortable bed (first time we had ever seen a queen size log bunk bed!!!)—to name a few! There is a nice flat screen television, but we never even turned it on as we were entertained with having a cook out on the patio (complete with a propane grill and tiki torches), a roaring fire in the pit under the pergola, and then a relaxing time in the hot tub! This is a wonderful place to get away from it all! We are looking forward to returning for another amazing visit!
- Guest MbWeb (Willoughby OH)
- Date of stay 07/03/13
- Review Submitted 07/09/13
Recommended for: Families with young children, adventure seekers, sightseeing, people with disabilities, age 55+, girls getaway, romantic getaway.
Owner response: Thank you for your kind words Martha and Ron and we are truly happy your stay at Dancing Fox Cabin was relaxing and memorable. We definitely look forward to seeing you again! Your new friends...Paul and Janell
Great Location and Relaxing CabinGuest comment entered by owner
Great Location and Relaxing Cabin
Over the years, we've stayed in various vacation rentals....by far, this cabin was the BEST in terms of originality, hospitality and overall enjoyment. Great location and close to some of the best attractions Ohio has to offer. Janell and Paul are extremely accommodating hosts who truly care about their guests. They are very welcoming and great to chat with! We only wish we could stay longer and spend more time here. Thank you so much for a fun-filled, yet relaxing vacation! We will definitely stay here again.
- Guest Jamie & Mike J. (St. Joseph, MO)
- Date of stay 06/15/13
- Review Submitted 06/27/13
Relaxing and Fun Filled VacationGuest comment entered by owner
Relaxing and Fun Filled Vacation
We had such a relaxing and fun filled vacation and my whole family loved Cedar Point. We did a day trip to Put-n-Bay and were sad to leave. The cabin was so relaxing and made my oldest say we ought to rent cabins more often. We felt so at home and very comfortable. We took some beautiful family pictures on the property too. So glad we came from Texas to find this amazing place and get to stay at your cabin. One of the best vacations and lots of great memories created with our girls. Thank you!
- Guest The Anselmo Family (Kingwood, TX)
- Date of stay 06/11/13
- Review Submitted 06/27/13
Break From Long Hours of WorkingGuest comment entered by owner
Break From Long Hours of Working
Paul and Janell, I had a very good time here and enjoyed talking to you both. It was a wonderful getaway for me and will definitely be back. This place has more charm and character than any other place I have ever stayed. See ya next year!!
- Guest Tracy S. (Oregon, OH)
- Date of stay 06/04/13
- Review Submitted 06/27/13
What An Amazing AccomplishmentGuest comment entered by owner
What An Amazing Accomplishment
Dear Janell and Paul, What an amazing accomplishment completing this cabin project. It is such a comfortable cabin. You've put great detail into providing all the necessities. We enjoyed just relaxing inside the cabin, grilling outdoors and enjoying the hot tub. Dined one evening at "The Bierkeller" in town which was a very good place to eat. We sure enjoyed this unique experience and will recommend it to family and friends.
- Guest Cheryl and Ron C. (Springport, Michigan)
- Date of stay 06/01/13
- Review Submitted 06/27/13
Wonderful!Guest comment entered by owner
We had such a wonderful stay and love everything that cabin and property have to offer. Looking forward to our next visit and more hammock time. Thanks for this unique experience! PS...We will be emailing photos! We got some great ones!
- Guest Jim and Kim (Reynoldsburg, OH)
- Date of stay 05/30/13
- Review Submitted 06/26/13
Love from FloridaGuest comment entered by owner
Love from Florida
Beautiful place! Beautiful people! Very pleasant stay and we will definitely stay here again when we are out this way. Thanks so much for the awesome hospitality. It's such a blessing to meet such wonderful souls...thank you.
- Guest Amber and Jenny (Baker, Florida)
- Date of stay 05/27/13
- Review Submitted 06/26/13
Family Time at Dancing Fox CabinGuest comment entered by owner
Family Time at Dancing Fox Cabin
We brought our twins to this special cabin as a part of their 10th birthday celebration and we truly enjoyed our stay. During the day we explored area attractions, Seneca Caverns, a fish hatchery, African Safari Wildlife Park and some small things along the way. In the evening we relaxed at the cabin. The kids really enjoyed the yard, bonfire and hammock! We enjoyed every detail of the cabin and it's quaint, homey feeling. Thanks for the incredible hospitality.
- Guest Lisa and Todd O. and Family (Grand Blanc, MI)
- Date of stay 05/24/13
- Review Submitted 06/26/13
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
|2014 Season - Includes Taxes
May 15 - Oct 1, 2014
2 night min stay
|My Standard Rate
1 night min stay
Rates are based on 2 guests; add $10 per night, per additional guest
Additional information about rental rates
Holiday weekends require a 3 night reservation (Memorial Day - July 4th, Labor Day).
We also offer extended stay and monthly rates, please inquire.
NOTE: We also have a lovingly decorated, fully furnished 2nd floor guest house apartment on site for nightly and extended stay rental. Private entrance, complete kitchen, livingroom, kitchen nook, bath and more! See website at: www.ourguesthouse
Upon making a reservation and to hold your dates a one night stay is placed immediately on your credit or debit card. A Security Deposit may apply depending on the number of nights of your reservation. Balance of your reservation is paid upon arrival. PLEASE REVIEW OUR CANCELLATION POLICY ON WEBSITE www.dancingfoxcabin.com
- Taxes Included
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
- Nearest Airport: Griffings Airport, Sandusky, Ohio at 15 Miles
- Nearest Ferry: Millers Ferry, Goodtimes, Jet Express at 15 Miles
- Nearest Train: Cleveland at 50 Miles
- Nearest Motorway: Route 20 at 1 Miles
- Nearest Beach: East Harbor State Park, Marblehead, Ohio at 18 Miles
- Nearest Barpub: Variety in town to choose from at 2 Miles
- Nearest Ski: Mansfield at 35 Miles
- Nearest Golf: Various courses at 3 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: Many varieties to choose from in town at 1 Miles
About the owner: One of life’s most exciting pleasures is creating unique, fond and lasting memories for ourselves and our welcomed guests.
Why the Owner Chose Sandusky:
Dancing Fox cabin offers an opportunity to experience something a little different in the way of accommodations during your visit to our area, whether it's for a fun energizing vacation or some much needed down time for relaxation. We guarantee, you will remember Dancing Fox Cabin.
- Primary: 419-602-1009
Relax on the porch and if it rains, the metal roof will lull you to sleep.
Old barn door for main door and handmade screen door.
Gas log fireplace, flat screen TV /cable on wall above antique pie safe cabinet.
Looking out towards front porch windows.
Queen size log bunkbeds, handmade barnwood wardrobe with shelves for clothing.
Quiet corner window in kitchen over sink looking out into yard and pines.
Antique ladder towel rack and more repurposed materials throughout bathroom.
Settlers garden with fresh produce for guests to enjoy when in season
Guests picking fresh leaf lettuce and other veggies for lunch
Our cuddly bear, but he doesn't bite!
Pauls workshop and man cave!
The magic of snow. Photo taken January 2013.
Dancing Fox Cabin's porch with old horse stall dividers for railings and more!
Partial view of livingroom area with gas fireplace and hide-a-bed.
Antique dry sink and pump lamp
Handmade crossbuck table made from primitive barnwood with benches.
Kitchen area. Vintage chalkboard slate countertops, handmade barnwood cabinets.
Bathroom. Shower stall lined with vintage chalkboard slate, handmade vanity.
Patio with gas grill, picnic table and chairs for outside dining.
Garden area next to cabin.
Looking out from front porch of cabin onto yard
Pergola from old barn beams. Enjoy evening fires and roasted marshmallows.
6 Person outdoor Hot Tub ready for you any time day or night.
Also available is our second floor Guest House apt. www.ourguesthouse.net
There have been visitors to this page since
the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2013.
Date last modified - Monday, December 02, 2013