Spacious Newly Built Home Nestled in the Woods Walk/Bike to Town
You sent a message to this manager.
- Minimum stay:Contact manager
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Grand Marais house description
Looking for all the comforts of a modern home wrapped up in the charm of a Northwoods retreat? Liking the idea of feeling nestled in the woods, yet wanting to be close to the convenience of town? Charlie's Haven is the place for you! Less than a mile from the quaint harbor town of Grand Marais, you're close enough to be able to walk or ride to enjoy the amenities of town, yet far enogh away to avoid the noise, congestion and bustle of summer festivals and outdoor music venues. Whether you are looking for a summer vacation getaway or a quiet winter retreat, Charlie's Haven provides easy access to hiking, biking and cross country or downhill ski areas. It is 20 minutes away from the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW) with its boundless opportunities for exploration and fun.
Charlie's Haven is a newly constructed home designed for the site featuring large and small windows strategically placed to take advantage of the sun as it rises through the pines and cycles into dusk. Walls re artfully painted to catch the sun's glow whether it is shining bright or hiding beneath grey winter skies. Enjoy the play of light as you lounge in the comfy couch, loveseat or slide chair in the great room featuring a vaulted aspen ceiling and hardwood cherry floors.
Love to cook? The kitchen will inspire you with its marble countertops, Chicago Cutlery, Cuisinart Chef's Classic Stainless Steel cookware and state-of-the-art range and refrigerator.
At the end of the day nestle into the bedroom with its brand new queen bed and nothwoods furnishings. Sleeping arrangements include a loft (accessed by a standard well lit staircase) that serves as a sitting or yoga area by day with a futon/couch and a small single bed, making it a cozy bedroom by night. Loft windows afford you with a year-round view of Lake Superior.
Charlie's Haven is pet and smoke free and sleeps 5 comfortably (in the bedroom: 2 adults share the queen bed, in the loft: 2 adults share the queen futon and one child or small adult in the single bed). You are welcome to bring your own air mattress and bedding to bring maximum capacity to 6.
SO . . . imagine yourself enjoying the outdoors in whatever way you like (hiking the many area trails including Superior Hiking Trail, biking the Pincushion Mountain trails, boating our many waterways - canoe or motor, fishing, skiing, birding). Perhaps your family has split for the day - some to take a North House or Art Colony class, others to shop Grand Marais, others to fish or hunt. You gather together at 'home' to quiet comfort. Maybe you'll stream a movie using your computer and our wifi system, or pop a DVD into the player to amuse the children while you prepare home cooked meal in the kitchen or on the grill. Curl up on the couch with a cup of tea or beverage of choice and let the tensions of your everyday life flow out and away. Rainy day? Pick up a new craft or project from a visit to The Garage in town, enjoy the simple pleasures of a jigsaw puzzle or pull out that book you've been longing to read. You're on vacation and every day here is a day of renewal. You're surrounded by one of the most beautiful places on the planet, in one of the most inspiring homes you'll ever find. And you deserve it all. Welcome to Charlie's Haven!
- 1150 sq. ft.
- 2 story
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Non Smoking Only
- Pets Not Allowed
Bedrooms: 1 Bedroom, Sleeps 6, Beds for 6
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom
Kitchen & Dining
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Pantry Items:
- Dining Area Seats:
- Ice Maker
- Coffee Maker
- Living Room seats 6
- Towels Provided
- Linens Provided
- Kitchen area boasts beautiful quality cabinetry, granite countertops and brand new luxurious appliances. It shares the focal point of the great room with a cozy living area with couch, loveseat and gliding chair. Guests can choose to sit around the dining table, sit outside on the deck or cozy up in the living room as members of the party prepare the meal. The great room provides access to the deck & grill, lawn area, bird feeders and woods where wildlife abounds....moreless
- Video Library:
- DVD Player
- Lawn / Garden:
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Away From It All
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Pier Fishing
- Fly Fishing
- Fitness Center
- Medical Services
- Ice Skating
- Hunting Small Game
- Freshwater Fishing
- Basketball Court
- Cross Country Skiing
- Mountain Biking
- Bird Watching
- Scenic Drives
- Gambling Casinos
- Live Theater
- Recreation Center
- Horseback Riding
- Massage Therapist
- Miniature Golf
- Sight Seeing
- Wildlife Viewing
- The North Shore of Lake Superior is noted for both modest and spectacular waterfalls, lake vistas and cobble beaches. The Superior Hiking Trail is within easy access with many spur trails to places of unique natural beauty. The Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW) is 20 minutes away with an abundance of outfitters to set you up for a day trip or a week's camping experience. Horeseback riding is available close to town, as is Putt-Putt Golf, a recreation park with swimming pool, sauna and jacuzzi. The city of Grand Marais (pop. 1500) is a quaint harbor town. Summer pleasures include relaxing or strolling on the cobble beach, rock hunting (agates), guided fishing (coho salmon, herring and lake trout), day or evening trips aboard the Hjordis (a 2 masted schooner), sailing, kayaking, canoeing and by evening live music under the stars. Grand Marais hosts a number of summer festivals and is 35 miles from the Grand Portage Indian Reservation and the Canadian border. Museums and interpretive centers dot the shoreline. Spring is a great time to come up and see the many waterfalls. Winter visitors can enjoy easy access to cross country and downhill ski opportunities, snowmobile trails and snowshoeing. The Grand Marais Art Colony offers year-round programming ranging from various arts festivals, fused glass, pottery as well as the traditional painting and drawing classes. The North House Folk School hosts both a winter and summer solstice festival, UnPlugged Music Event and classes ranging from boat building to knitted silver jewelry. There's lots to see and do all year round, and each season has its own special allure....moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
Our perfect fall getaway
Our perfect fall getaway
This is the perfect place to stay as has all you need for a restful getaway and it has all that was listed on this site. We enjoyed the home along wth the location. Grand Marais is a beautiful place to visit and allowed us to eat out when we did not want to cook in the wonderful kitchen at Charlie's Haven. It is close enough to Grand Marais to enjoy the city but you think you are out in the woods at Charlie's Haven. We did alot of hiking in the area and it felt comfortable to return to a beautiful place to stay, i would recommend it to anyone choosing to visit the North Shore. Owner/caretaker was ready to assist in what ever was needed.
- Guest Biker (Le Center, Mn )
- Date of stay 09/28/13
- Review Submitted 10/18/13
Recommended for: Adventure seekers, sightseeing, age 55+, romantic getaway, families with teenagers, girls getaway.
Beautifully finished modern cabin, with every convenience provided for. The property manager was very responsive and accommodating for our somewhat last minute reservation. We had a short stay but certainly felt comfortable enough to stay much longer. It is very close to town, yet still felt peacefully isolated (aside from the neighbor cabin on the same plot). Very happy. Thank you!
- Guest Hayley (Twin Cities, Minnesota)
- Date of stay 09/03/13
- Review Submitted 09/25/13
Recommended for: Adventure seekers, sightseeing, age 55+, romantic getaway, families with teenagers, families with young children, girls getaway.
Nice quiet house in the woods.
Nice quiet house in the woods.
Reservations were very easy to make with the family that owns this home. They made sure we knew everything ahead of time so there were no surprises. Worked out great for us since we more a less used it as a base camp to explore the region. The home was beautiful and with brand new appliances was even better. Happened to be very hot on a couple of the days and with only ceiling fans they could not keep up. Overall we had a great time staying at Charlie`s Haven. Thanks you so much.
- Guest Jim K (New Ulm,MN)
- Date of stay 08/17/13
- Review Submitted 08/26/13
Recommended for: Adventure seekers, sightseeing, age 55+, romantic getaway.
Manager response: We had a rare and thankfully brief spell of 86 degree weather (not really hot by most people's standards, but hot for up here!). Most homes or home rentals do not offer air conditioning in the Grand Marais area because it just isn't needed up here, except, perhaps, for a week or 2 in August. HOWEVER we are looking into the possibility of getting air conditioning for next season. We'll see . . . Keep posted. . .
Summer Peak Season (6/15-8/31) $840. weekly; $180 weekends; $150 midweek Shoulder Seasons (5/1-6/14 &9/1-1/2) $750. weekly; $170 weekends; $150 midweek (Shoulder Season includes weekends, holidays and special event dates) Off Peak (1/3-4/30) $690 weekly; $150 weekends; $130 midweek Rates based on 4 person occupancy, 2 people per bed. Add $25 per night for use of loft single bed; $20 per night air mattress. Max Ocuupency is 6. Deposit: $150 nightly rental; $200 monthly due at booking, the rest 30 days before arrival. Add 11.7875% sales & lodging taxes.
Note: Until confirmed, rates are subject to change without notice.
This manager accepts: Credit cards.
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details. Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
- Nearest Airport: Duluth, MN at 90 Miles
- Nearest Motorway: Highway 61 at Grand Marais
- Nearest Beach: Grand Marais Harbor at 0.5 Miles
- Nearest Barpub: Harbor Light Supper Club at 0.1 Miles
- Nearest Ski: Pincushion Mountain at 2 Miles
- Nearest Golf: Gunflint Hills at 3 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: Harbor Light Supper Club at 0.2 Miles
Year Purchased: 2008
About: I am a working musician. I grew up in Columbus, Ohio and currently live in Pennsylvania. I travel a lot for my work, and devote long hours to it, both in the studio and on the road.
Why Grand Marais:
There is only one Lake Superior the largest freshwater lake in the world. As I drive to Grand Marais along the historic and scenic Highway 61 I am inspired by its panoramic views, coastal bluffs and craggy shores. I came up as a teenager and well into my 30's to go fishing with my step dad and fell in love with the area. When this property became available I grabbed it. The local people who come to visit can't believe we're within the city limits of Grand Marais. It feels like we're in the country. It really is 'nestled' in the woods.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
So many of our guests at the sister to this house (McFarland House, see listing #355006) have identified 'location' as being one of the things they like best about the property. It is close enough to town that you can walk or bike into Grand Marais, yet far enough away that you feel like you live out of town. My step dad built this house - we designed it together, placing the windows to take advantage of the north light and views into the woods; putting a window seat into the master bedroom because I've always liked those. And the loft - I've always like spaces like those: closely tucked into the wood ceiling overlooking the great room to one side and the lake to the other. I decided on paint color and finishing touches and I especially love the quality of the light in the house. I feel I'll never get tired of watching the light and how it changes the house from dawn to dusk.
- Primary: 218-387-2621
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Charlie's Haven Autumn
Loft view North
Entryway facing out
Kitchen / Dining table
Loft view of Kitchen
Charlie's Haven Winter
Great room - ground floor view
Entryway facing in
Loft view of Living area
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2013.
Date last modified - Tuesday, November 26, 2013
1 Bedroom / 1 Bathroom
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details. Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check, or direct bank transfer. Learn More
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.