You sent a message to this manager.
- Minimum stay:2-5 nights
- Pets considered:Ask Manager
- Wheel chair accessible:No
See more details and photos on my website:
New for 2013 season. This stunning and unusually spacious house is located on the hills surrounding the town of Atenas. It offers the peace and tranquility of a home away from home, as well as a perfect base for touring the beautiful landmarks of Costa Rica. Villa Madrugada is nestled on a large one acre lot surrounded by lush, tropical vegetation and the beautiful, rolling mountains of the Central Valley. The property has amazing views of the surrounding mountain ranges, creating a tranquil atmosphere for the ultimate in relaxing vacations in Costa Rica! This luxury Pica Flora neighborhood house features many of the wonderful benefits of living in the mountains, including the eternal spring weather and spectacular mountain views dotted with the vibrant colors of Costa Ricaâ??s rainforests. From a spacious deck you can see many fabulous birds including the toucans that visit in the mornings. During the green season, when it generally rains in the afternoons, you can see monkeys, sloths hanging out in the trees in the jungle below and many other types of wildlife too. There is so much here you never know what you may see! Enjoy a peaceful morning in Costa Rica while watching the sunrise over the mountains from the spacious half covered terrace. The spectacular deck offers stunning 180 degree views and is ideal for entertaining guests. The exotic garden is full of bright, vibrant flowers and tropical fruit trees. Enjoy a romantic walk through the garden at dusk while strolling along paved walkways lined with twinkling garden lights. Stretch out tense muscles by swimming a few laps in the open view swimming pool.
- 3977 sq. ft.
- 2 story
- Vacation Rental
- Housekeeper Included
- Children Welcome
Bedrooms: 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- 2 Bed/2 Loft
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms, 1 Half Bathroom
Kitchen & Dining
- Dishes & Utensils
- Coffee Maker
- Pantry Items
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Washing Machine
- Clothes Dryer
- Satellite / Cable
Pool & Spa
- Private Pool
- See more details and photos on my website: http://villamadrugada.com/h Atenas is located in a peaceful, non-industrial part of the Central Valley, halfway between San José and the Pacific Ocean. Great base for sightseeing trips in all directions due to its central location. You can easily make day trips to go zip-lining in the treetops, hiking in the mountains, cruising in the jungle or surfing on the Jaco beach. Atenas is typical Costa Rican small town. Charming and full of nice surprises. With just 5,000 inhabitants (17,000 including the suburbs), Atenas is famous for having one of the best climates in the world, according to National Geographic. The words “El Mejor Clima del Mundo” are emblazoned on every bus in Atenas. Temperatures: daily averages 75 to 86°F (25°C – 30°C) and evenings vary from 60 to 70°F. Altitude: around 2380 feet above sea level (725 m). The weather in Atenas is ideal - warm and breezy by day, low humidity, and comfortably cool at night. Air conditioning or heating are never needed! Atenas has 3 bigger supermarkets (Pali, MegaSuper & Co-Op) and a Farmer's Market on Friday mornings where you can purchase fresh fruits, vegetables, cheese, flowers and homemade baked goods. There are also a number of nice restaurants, 5 pharmacies, a number of sodas (little restaurants that serve breakfast and lunch), and 2 favorite gringo hangouts, ‘[El Balcon]’ (a European style cafe with breakfast, lunch and wonderful pastry and bread) and ‘[Kay's Gringo Postres]’ (breakfast or lunch, a piece of cake or pie). [Villa Madrugada] is approximately 30 minutes from the Juan Santamaria International Airport ([SJO]) and around 45 minutes from downtown San Jose. Many easy day trips include: Volcanos & National Parks ([Poas Volcano Nat'l Park] - 22 miles, about an hour; [Arenal Volcano Nat'l Park] - 50 miles, 2 ½ hours), Beaches (Jaco - 38 miles, one hour; tiny Esterillos - 40 miles, 1 ¼ hrs, Manuel Antonio – 84 miles, about 2 ½ hours), Coffee plantations ([Doca] – 25 miles, 50 minutes; [El Toledo] – 3 miles, 10 minutes) Towns (Cartago - 43 miles, one hour; Sarchi - 9 miles, 20 minutes). Talk with our property manager Andrew or our driver Oscar about local sites or for arranging these tours for you. You are also just over 30 minutes from Escazu (by the new highway) and its posh restaurants, wonderful shops and the MultiPlaza shopping mall. San Jose, the capital of Costa Rica, has many cultural and historical sites, and is about 45 minutes away. : https://foursquare.com/v/el-balc%C3%B3n-del-caf%C3%A9/4d2ce720bd60a093001b19ce : https://www.facebook.com/kaysgringopostres : http://www.villamadrugada.com : http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airport/airportDetails.do?airport=sjo : http://costarica.com/attractions/poas-volcano-national-park/ : http://www.arenal.net/ : http://www.dokaestate.com : http://www.coffeetour1.blogspot.com/...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
A Great House with an Amazing View
A Great House with an Amazing View
We stayed at Casa Madrugada for the second of two weeks in Costa. We had spent the first in Guanacaste near Playa Hermosa so we wanted to see another area of Costa Rica. Tucked on the hill side a few miles from the center of Atenas, this house was perfect for four adults and two teenages. The house is very dramatic with a long long deck that looks out over the countryside and mountains in the distance. The view is ever-changing and dramatically beautiful as clouds move by and envelope the landscape or when the lights of far off houses flicker through the distance. The house has a very open design with sliding doors that allow all of the spaces to open right out to the deck and to the outside air. The two sleeping areas connected by a catwalk under the cathedral ceiling are great for young people and were perfect for our teenage boys. (They would not work for people needing a lot of privacy.) The kitchen was well equipped and the details and decorations in the furnishings of the house were really beautiful. The dining room table was particularly dramatic. We loved the pool and the cabana and the amazing plants in the garden all around the house and deck. - the deck was really the best part. Our first day there we found ourselves in the middle of a big storm (it was the rainy season after all) and a lightning strike knocked out power for us and all of Atenas. So we went to town and went to the one store with a big generator and bought candles. We cooked dinner that night over candlelight which was very romantic. Luckily for all of us the power came back on in the middle of the evening. We had great trips up to Volcan Poas, to the Waterfall gardens and visited some of the viveros nearby. We played golf, went into San Jose to meet friends and altogether had a wonder week. Since we had already done ziplining, rafting, fishing, snorkeling, etc. during our first week in CR, we were focused more on just taking it easy...."pura vida", as they say. Thanks to Andrew for all of his help. We loved this place and the town of Atenas. We hope to be back soon.
- Guest Tom H.
- Date of stay 08/24/13
- Review Submitted 09/09/13
A vacation dream
A vacation dream
What a delight it was to stay at this villa...all the pictures don't truly describe how beautiful and serene it was, my wife Edna and my three daughters including my brother Nelson were happy with the accomodations and with the service we received from Andrew he truly made us feel comfortable and secure. I highly recommend everyone to use Andrew for your future vacation plans. Thank you
- Guest Ricardo R.
- Date of stay 03/15/13
- Review Submitted 04/05/13
A great house in Atenas!
A great house in Atenas!
Our family (which includes 8- and 5-year-old girls, their 3 grandparents, and us) just came back from a 10 day stay in Costa Rica, and we can only rave about this house in Atenas! We stayed here for our first 5 days in Costa Rica. First, the house is beautiful. It's a new construction, and there are all the amenities that you might expect in a luxury house rental: modern kitchen, WiFi with fast internet, washer/drier (!), abundant hot water, and so on. We even used the grill for dinner one evening. The pool is isn't huge, but both kids and adults loved it. There is a nice covered "gazebo" with a hammock and couch, perfect for relaxing or taking a break from the main house. The landscaping is really nice, with colorful flowers that attracts many hummingbirds; there are also nice paths through the tropical garden. My wife and I have stayed at many, many rental houses (both in the U.S. and overseas), and I can say that this was the beautiful house we've ever rented. Andrew was the perfect renting agent for the house. He was always available by cell phone, and he even lent us a cell phone for our stay! (If Andrew doesn't have an extra, consider renting one. It will be extremely useful and much, much less expensive than using your U.S. phone.) A few notes: - The house was set up perfectly for us, but renters should be aware of the layout. There are two main bedrooms on the "first floor," both with attached bathrooms. The loft spaces upstairs are open, with no walls or bathrooms. This was fine for us, as the girls used one area and my mom used the other. - The house is a 5 minute drive south of Atenas town center (which is very small). There are houses nearby, but the house feels safe and semi-secluded. Use the abundant taxis (again, via cell) or rent a car; walking into town isn't really an option. - Explore central CR! It's beautiful and adventurous. Our family particularly loved the organic coffee tour, Poas volcano, and La Paz waterfall garden and zoo/sanctuary.
- Guest A multi-generational family! (Chicag oarea)
- Date of stay 12/22/12
- Review Submitted 01/02/13
Recommended for: Age 55+, families with young children, adventure seekers, girls getaway, families with teenagers, romantic getaway, sightseeing.
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
|November to January
Nov 3 - Jan 12, 2014
5 night min stay
Extra Nights: $200
|January to September
Jan 13 - Sep 1, 2014
3 night min stay
Extra Nights: $180
|September to November
Sep 2 - Nov 1, 2014
2 night min stay
Extra Nights: $125
Payment is usually accepted in the quoted currency ($) unless the currency and the amount is specifically agreed in advance with the manager / advertiser.
Additional information about rental rates:
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
- Primary: +1 507-573-5244
- Secondary: +506 8702-1052
Links to more information:
Blue and green - two of our favorite colors. What is yours? Answer and take a splash...
Bedroom located closer to the pool with beautiful views of the valley below.
View from pool toward valley below with house being on the far left
Perfect chill-out location. Hammock and a book.
Enjoy a book in the rocking chair while watching and listening to the birds in the fruit trees.
Wine and dine in this fully furnished kitchen.
Bathroom - with double sinks and a Jacuzzi tub.
Half sunny, half shady... but always gorgeous - front deck. Perfect for chilling, nature watching, evening party or ...morning yoga.
Enjoy a view taking a bath in a jacuzzi tub.
Kitchen - wooden charm with modern appliances.
Breath taking view form the front deck. Our garden - favorite place for wild life.
Walk between house to nice gazebo. Next to gazebo we have beautiful pagoda ginger
We love this open space kitchen and dining area - great for entertaining and taking meals together.
Can you spot the "weeping Budda"? There is very interesting story... Check our website.
Looking west towards the pool from the house. Banana trees on the left side of the rancho and pagoda ginger on the right.
High bar - perfect for breakfast or evening entertaining.
Drink a great cup of coffee (or tee) and watch the mountain ranges.
Spacious and comfortable space on the loft - two bedrooms under beautiful cathedral ceiling.
Costa Rica is famous for wooden work. We have arranged some of the more beautiful wooden pieces in the house.
Sunny day or tropical rain - front deck is our favorite place to hang out.
Living room area.
Take a stroll through the on-property garden. See what is blooming while you are visiting.
An inviting swimming pool...
Spacious driveway and parking area. Inviting 'tori' at the entrance to the house.
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2012.
Date last modified - Friday, December 13, 2013
4 Bedroom / 2.5 Bathroom
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.