The Ideal Family Retreat
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:Contact owner
- Pets considered:Ask Owner
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Saluda house description
The Saluda Inn is a comfortable environment that can easily accommodate a group of 38 (sometimes more). With 7200 sq. ft. of living space, it offers guests the opportunity to spread out and yet still be under the same roof. http://www.saludainn.com/rates-reservations/53.html for the floor plan.
There are spacious living rooms for meetings and group activities. The dining room has plenty of seating for everyone in your group to share meals together. Kitchen facilities are roomy and fully equipped for you to prepare your own meals as you wish or arrange to have your meals catered. The sunroom offers a great place to spend time with a book. You may even wish to enjoy the almost 2 acres of property by sitting next to a campfire, enjoying a game of shuffleboard or just relaxing under a tree in the hammock.
Take a stroll down the sidewalk into historical downtown Saluda to visit the great shops, parks and restaurants. Enjoy an afternoon of tubing on the Green River or a brisk bike ride down to Pearson Falls or just get in some good rocking time on the porch. The Saluda Inn lends itself to a focused group retreat or to a group that just wants to step back in time and relax.
The inn is available by the week or weekend. Your group will truly “have it to yourself.”
Beds have comforter and top blanket, bring your linens and pillows.
- 7200 sq. ft.
- 3 story
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Private Chef
- Non Smoking Only:
- Minimum Age Limit For Renters:
- Events Allowed
- Limited Accessibility
- Children Welcome
Bedrooms: 18 Bedrooms, Sleeps 40, Beds for 38-40
- All bedrooms are supplied with a summer coverlet or winter quilt and extra blankets. Many have private bathrooms, however there are common bathrooms for those who don't. Bedrooms on the first floor are accessible by wheelchair. Bedrooms on second floor are all hardwood floors. Third floor bedrooms are carpeted. All bedrooms have ceiling fans. A couple have fireplaces....moreless
Bathrooms: 11 Bathrooms, 3 Half Bathrooms
- 15 bathrooms. Many located in guest rooms. Others are for shared use. Several water closets available on the first floor. Bathrooms are all up-to-date and spotless. Many have claw footed tubs with rain showers. Others have showers. There are several common bathrooms and powder rooms throughout the house....moreless
Kitchen & Dining
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Pantry Items:
- Coffee Maker:
- Towels Provided:
- Linens Provided:
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Clothes Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Video Library
- Outdoor Grill
- Lawn / Garden
- Deck / Patio
- Away From It All
- Water Tubing
- Mountain Climbing
- Equestrian Events
- Medical Services
- Freshwater Fishing
- Fly Fishing
- Hot Air Ballooning
- Basketball Court
- Mountain Biking
- Massage Therapist
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Scenic Drives
- Bird Watching
- Winery Tours
- Recreation Center
- Horseback Riding
- Wildlife Viewing
- Sight Seeing
- A small historic town located 30 miles from Asheville, 7 miles from Hendersonville, 5 miles from Tryon, Greenville and Spartanburg are 30 minutes away. Charlotte 1.5 hour drive, Atlanta, 3 hours. This town is like taking a step back in time. Several restaurants, night life, live music. Quiet strolls down the sidewalk. Close enough to get out and explore local towns with a quiet home base. Wineries are located within a 20 minute drive both east and west. Beautiful waterfalls, state parks and the historic Biltmore House are all near by. Outdoor enthusiasts enjoy the area - cyclists from all over the world come here to do spring training. This is home of the 'Bakery Ride' and the Saluda Grade Climb. For those who love being surrounded by nature but don't enjoy the rigor of hiking, there are nature trails, and places to sit and enjoy the beauty of nature, even from a rocking chair or a downtown bench. The town of Saluda has everything you will need to get by and all is walking distance from the Saluda Inn. Grocery store, library, wine shop, grill, bb-q, gourmet food, shopping, ice cream, coffee.... The area is dedicated to health and well being, you can throw a rock and hit a fantastic massage therapist, yoga, healing, drumming and many mountain side churches....moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
Family CelebrationsGuest comment entered by owner
Twenty-nine extended family members celebrated birthdays of the oldest (92) and youngest (3) on the first weekend of April. We have rented homes in SC and GA trying to stay within five-six hours for everyone scattered in four states. We prefer one house finding that late nights/early morning meetings in the kitchen produce the best interaction among family members that rarely see each other. Most family members concluded that it was a good location and the house met our needs.The Inn provided a variety of bed sizes with comfortable bedding and baths at an affordable rate. If one didn't like the clawfoot tub/shower unit adjoining many of the bedrooms, standard showers were available off the hallway. The kitchen was clean and one of the best in space and equipment that we have encountered in vacation house rentals. We enjoyed Final Four basketball games on the flat screen in the sunroom, entertained little ones with DVDs in the music room, and at least one person spent time on a laptop in a bedroom. The house is big enough to provide space for all and the area offers "something for everyone." It is an old house and there is always room for improvements. We look forward to a return trip. Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
- Guest Janelle
- Date of stay 04/06/13
- Review Submitted 07/03/13
Traveled with friends.Guest comment entered by owner
Traveled with friends.
Eight or nine years ago, I heard from two separate Charleston friends about their visits to a great inn in Saluda, N.C. We checked it out and have been coming here at least once a year--sometimes twice-- since then. The inn is a perfect place to get together with friends for a long weekend. We gather for cocktails on the big front porch, cook family meals in the large kitchen, and then have fun feasts in the dining room. Saluda is a charming little town with some nice restaurants and shops and just a five minute walk down the hill. Joni and Rich do a great job making us feel welcome, making sure we have everything we need and if we ever do need anything, they are either downstairs in the wine bar or just down the hill at their home or wine store. My only hesitation is writing about how great this place is: I'm afraid too many people will love it as much as my friends and I do and then we won't be able to book it. Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
- Guest Edward
- Date of stay 05/18/13
- Review Submitted 07/03/13
Weekend Rate (Fri-Mon) $2700.00 Weekly Rate (Fri-Thurs) $3200.00 Note an additional fuel surcharge of $75/night applies from Nov. 1 to April 1
Note: Until confirmed, rates are subject to change without notice.
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
- Nearest Airport: Asheville at 25 Miles
- Nearest Train: Asheville at 35 Miles
- Nearest Motorway: Interstate 26 at 1.5 Miles
- Nearest Beach: Charleston at 200 Miles
- Nearest Barpub: Downstairs in Cellar at Saluda
- Nearest Ski: Wolf Mountain at 60 Miles
- Nearest Golf: Highland Lake at 7 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: Purple Onion at 1 Miles
Year Purchased: 2004
About the owner: Joni Mahaffey-Rauschenbach a graduate of USC Johnson & Wales Graduate school of Culinary Arts in Vail, Colorado Wine and food have guided her through life and where she met her husband Rich. She owns Joni Artisanal Wine and Beer. Rich lived in New Jersey most of his childhood & in New York most of his adult life other than a brief stint as a bartender in Berkeley, CA. Rich graduated from SUNY Albany and Harvard. He is a firefighter in Asheville. When he is not on duty, he is training for triathalons. Joni and Rich have a couple of dogs and a little boy who has really enjoyed living in this tiny little town where he walks to school every morning.
Why the Owner Chose Saluda:
Although it is a very large property, it felt warm and inviting, peaceful and just like a home should feel. Almost like being in Grandma's home. When we first saw it, there was an overwhelming need to buy it and restore it so that it could continue to be used as a family retreat. It took a lot of time, work, money and courage. So far it has all been worth it.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
The property offers a great, commercial-like kitchen that seems to be the heartbeat of the house, all day long there is activity. Just like at Grandma's, in the morning for coffee and the late hours of the night for midnight snacking. The wrap around porch offers sunshine and shade and rockers with many hour on them. A porch swing and some card tables. The outside offers a mature setting, views of gentle mountains, valley and tall tree tops. There is a fire pit, shuffle board & horse shoes. If the family gets to be too much, you can hide in one of the rooms in the inn or walk downtown. All age appropriate, childern love running up and down the long halls at the inn. Grandparents love the many places to sit and enjoy watching the buzz of the family. The younger generations love the freedom of walking downtown, the green river tubing and the parks. Basket ball, tennis and a couple of great playgrounds are walking distance from the inn.
Room 25 which is attached to Room 27 by a full bath.
Full bath with shower, fireplace, and clawfooted tub in room.
Front sitting room just off the dining room.
Room 39 two twin beds - Hall bath.
Room 20. Full bath and fireplace.
Room 21-23 shared bath family suite. Queen and two twin beds
Dishroom, dining and foyer view.
Our 2nd floor bathroom
The sunny side of the porch.
Chestnut Street View
Room 10. Full bath - clawfooted tub. Outside entrance.
Room 27 regular bed, full bath shared with room 25. Great family suite.
Room 34 with loft and full bath (shower) two queen beds
The dining room - seats 30+.
Room 11 just off the Sunroom. Full bath with clawfoot tub and shower.
Room 23 attached to 21 with 2 twins. Full bath.
The third floor hallway.
Room 20 bathroom.
The kitchen. 2 Gas ranges, industrial fridge and lots of working space.
The side porch view.
There have been visitors to this page since
the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2013.
Date last modified - Tuesday, October 22, 2013