a Comfy Cottage Right Out of Beatrix Potter's World” Pet Friendly
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:2 nights
- Pets considered:Ask Owner
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Oughterard cottage description
Railway Cottage self catering has a peaceful ambiance and exceptional comfort. Polished wooden floor in the bedroom and black slate in the kitchen living area, antique pine furniture and pure Irish linen are used throughout. Enjoy Carmel's warm welcome with the added privacy of your own cottage. Railway Cottage is completely self-contained with its own kitchen, sitting room, double bedroom with king size bed and en-suite bathroom. The kitchen contains all the comforts of home: cooker & hob, dishwasher and washer & dryer. For longer stays, enjoy cooking for yourself- though Carmel always stocks the basics (coffee/ tea, milk, farm-fresh eggs, etc.) along with some of her home-baked breads from the Lodge! TV & DVD player are also installed in the cottage sitting room for those rainy days. French doors open and you can dine al fresco and enjoy the evening sunset with stunning views of the surrounding countryside. There are loungers, patio table and chairs for a comfortable outdoor dining experience, weather permitting!
If you wish you can also have breakfast at the main house 'Railway Lodge' book in advance.
You can have daily cleaning and bed linen is changed once a week.
- 2 story
- Vacation Rental
- Dinner - Booking Possible
- Breakfast - Booking Possible
- Catering Available
- Non Smoking Only
Bedrooms: 1 Bedroom, Sleeps 3, Beds for 2-3
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom
Kitchen & Dining
- Dining Area Seats:
- Dishes & Utensils
- Pantry Items
- Towels Provided:
- Linens Provided:
- Iron & Board
- Clothes Dryer
- Hair Dryer
- Living Room seats 4
- Washing Machine
- Lawn / Garden
- Deck / Patio
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Away From It All
Location & View
- Fitness Center
- Deepsea Fishing
- Fly Fishing
- Massage Therapist
- Medical Services
- Freshwater Fishing
- Mountain Biking
- Golf Privileges Optional
- Pier Fishing
- Scenic Drives
- Horseback Riding
- Sight Seeing
- Wildlife Viewing
- From the door step you can start your walking adventure, there are several beautiful walks in the area including the famous 'Western Way'. A trip on the famous Lough Corrib is a must, you can take a day trip and visit Inchaqoill, this special island is home to a number of ancient monastic ruins, some dating back to the 5th Century and continue on to Ashford Castle. Corrib Cruises is a family run passenger boat service on Lough Corrib, operated by the charming brothers Patrick and David Luskin. Golf is available at several locations the nearest is 3 miles from the Cottage. The famous Ballyconneely is a 60 mins drive. Fishing on Lough Corrib canbe arranged, you can have your own gillie and take a picnic on one of the 365 islands on Lough Corrib. Located just 3 miles away is Aughnanure Castle, this 16th century Irish Tower House and much of the surrounding area was occupied by the O'Flaherty clan. Brigit's Garden is a unique place where 4 gardens are themed on the Celtic festivals and offer a magical experience for all ages. In addition to the formal gardens, enjoy the tranquil nature walk, an original ring-fort, the stone chamber, crannóg and the biggest sundial in Ireland. The Quiet Man bridge which featured in the wonderful John Wayne/Maureen O'Hara movie is a 10 mins drive away. Connemara is a vast and wild countryside, staying at the Railway Cottage puts you in a perfect location to visit the wonderful sites of Kylemore Abbey, it's Gothic church and 6 acres of Victorian Walled Garden. The grounds offers visitors scenic photographic opportunities as well as woodland walks, garden tours, fascinating history and magnificent architecture. Home to the Benedictine Nuns since 1920, Kylemore Abbey is the only Benedictine Community in Ireland. Just a stone 's throw away the Connemara National Park is located, covering some 2,957 hectares of scenic mountains, expanses of bogs, heaths, grasslands and woodlands. Clifden, Roundstone, Renyle, and many more locations are within a 60 mins drive from the Cottage. The Aran Islands are a day trip, the ferry is a 40mins drive and is definately a must, to experience is one to be cherished. Galway City is a 20mins drive weather you go for a day or to sample the evening/night atmosphere it is definately worth a trip. Traditional Irish Music is always on the menu and traditional sessions are always available to join. Westport, Crough Patrick and the fabulous beaches of Louisbourg are also great day trips. The Cliffs of Mohers, the Burren and all that is to experience in Co Clare is also within easy reach. ...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
WONDERFUL COZY COTTAGE
WONDERFUL COZY COTTAGE
This is a wonderful cozy cottage, this was our first time to Europe and this was the absolutely perfect place and location. Carmel and Joe are wonderful people and make you feel right at home and so helpful. It was a great basecamp for us as well, as we would make day trips and then return home. The area is beautiful and quiet and we can't wait to go back again.
- Guest Laura S. (Ava, Missouri, USA)
- Date of stay 10/31/13
- Review Submitted 11/22/13
Recommended for: Age 55+, romantic getaway, sightseeing.
connemara marathonGuest comment entered by owner
Runners (and walkers!) look no further than the Railway Lodge when searching for a place to stay in Connemara. We ran the Connemarathon in 2013 and found that the Railway Lodge is a perfect and convenient base to relax beforehand and to recuperate after. Carmel provides a very warm welcome and a breakfast which is second to none. Our room was spotless. The location is also peaceful and tranquil. Carmel has a great local knowledge and pointed us in the direction of stunning roads and places to see that were off the beaten track. The Railway Lodge is a truly memorable bed and breakfast. Jonathan. Dublin.
- Guest jonathan. Dublin
- Date of stay 04/06/13
- Review Submitted 05/01/13
“A Great B & B”Guest comment entered by owner
“A Great B & B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 October 2012 Was this review helpful? Yes If you like beautiful antiques and impeccably clean bed linens, then you will like the Railway Lodge B & B. Set at the back of a quiet lane this charming farmhouse has all the amenities one needs for a goodnights stay. Our host and hostess were so kind to us, we felt like one of the family. Our bedroom was so spacious, with great views, comfortable beds and a huge bathroom. The glassed-in breakfast room, where we were served so beautifully every morning, was our favorite room in the house. Breakfast was wonderful, especially the fresh baked blueberry scones! This B & B was the best place we stayed in our month in Ireland. We hated to leave and hope to return again someday. Thank you Carmel and Joe! Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple 5 of 5 stars Value 5 of 5 stars Location 5 of 5 stars Sleep Quality 5 of 5 stars Rooms 5 of 5 stars Cleanliness 5 of 5 stars Service
- Guest tripadvisor
- Date of stay 09/15/12
- Review Submitted 04/28/13
“Great home base”Guest comment entered by owner
“Great home base”
tripadvisor 5 of 5 stars Reviewed 18 August 2012 I loved the Railway Lodge. The rooms and bath were large and the beds soooo comfy. My son particularly loved the pillows. I enjoyed the fact that the place was cleaned up every day. Breakfast was enough to keep me until dinner..all fresh, homemade and delicious. The garden was beautiful and peaceful. I liked that it was close enough to walk into town but was removed enough to feel completely private. Oughterard itself was not what I expected, but the B&B was great and was a good jumping off point to Connemara. The only critique I would have is that I expected a bit more social interaction between owner and guest at a B&B, but that might only be an American thing. It would have been nice to sit and chat more about the area and local attractions. But otherwise..I would highly recommend this place to others. Stayed August 2012, travelled with family 5 of 5 stars Value 5 of 5 stars Location 5 of 5 stars Sleep Quality 5 of 5 stars Rooms 5 of 5 stars Cleanliness 4 of 5 stars Service
- Guest lodge into tripadvisor railwaylodge
- Date of stay 08/08/12
- Review Submitted 04/28/13
“A comfy cottage right out of Beatrix Potter's worGuest comment entered by owner
“A comfy cottage right out of Beatrix Potter's wor
tripadvisor 5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 December 2010 Was this review helpful? Yes Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple We spent 4 nights in the self-catering cottage at Railway Lodge. We were greeted with tea and scones in the common room of the main lodge which gave us time to unwind before settling into the cottage. The rooms were comfortable and decorated beautifully -- like living in Beatrix Potter's world. The kitchen is small but well equipped. Carmel provided home-made bread, fruit, yogurt and other treats. The view from the living room was stunning and the sunset over the mountains breathtaking. The bathroom was spacious and the shower always hot. The bed was the most comfortable one of our 4 weeks in Ireland. The bedroom has two skylights and on several nights the sky was clear and the stars were magnificent. Due to hurricane winds and rain, we stayed in one day and enjoyed several of the choice films available in the extensive DVD collection. Such a comfortable way to escape the storm. The location is ideal for touring Connemara and Galway. We'd return in a minute! 5 of 5 stars Value 5 of 5 stars Location 5 of 5 stars Sleep Quality 5 of 5 stars Rooms 5 of 5 stars Cleanliness 5 of 5 stars Service
- Guest lodge into tripadvisor railwaylodge
- Date of stay 08/08/10
- Review Submitted 04/28/13
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
2 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
Ring Carmel or Carmel will call you with/for credit card details.
RATES INCLUDE HEATING AND ELECTRICITY.
* All bookings guaranteed by 25% credit card deposit.
* Balance payable in full 30 days prior to arrival
* Forms of payment accepted: credit card or bank draft in euro.
Please make cancellations at least 1 week in advance of arrival. Notice of cancellation given in under 1 week will incur a 50% charge.
Additional Fees and Taxes:
Note: Until confirmed, rates are subject to change without notice.
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
- Nearest Ferry: rossaveal to aran islands at 15 Miles
- Nearest Train: Galway at 17 Miles
- Nearest Beach: Barna at 15 Miles
- Nearest Barpub: Village of oughterard at 0.5 Miles
- Nearest Golf: oughterard golg club at 3 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: village of oughterard at 0.5 Miles
Year Purchased: 1997
About the owner: Railway Cottage is built beside Railway Lodge which is built on the Geoghegan family farm. Carmel returned with her partner Joe to live in Oughterard in 1994 and built their dream home, Carmel was born and raised nearby and after being away for a number of years returned to her family and enjoys the life that is living in a small rural community.
Why the Owner Chose Oughterard:
The property is modern with an old style ambience. Antique furniture and objects are everywhere, but your stay is make absolutely comforable with specially ordered orthopaedic mattresses, which are wrapped in the softest high quality sheets and draped with thick duvets covered in luxurious Irish linen.
The Unique Benefits at this Cottage:
The location is second to none, you have the beauty and mystic of Connemara right at your fingertips. A short drive takes you to Galway City or now with the motorway Dublin is a 2hr 30mins drive. Life at the Railway Cottage has the best of both worlds!
- Primary: +353 91 552945
- Secondary: +
Relax in the bright airy living area with french doors and cottage half door.
Dining / kitchen area with all mod cons.
View towards Connemara from the bedroom. Enjoy the evening sunset.
Enjoy a relaxing read and night cap.
Connemara Ponies Keep watch and greet the guests!!
Pick blackberries as you stroll along the lane leading to the Cottage.
Afternoon tea in the Railway Cottage.
King size bed, white/cream bedlinen, wooden floor and antique pine furniture.
Stairwell leading to ground floor.
Living area in main Railway Lodge.
Old stone walls line the lane to the Railway lodge/Cottage
Why not consider Christmas in Connemara.
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2013.
Date last modified - Friday, May 31, 2013
1 Bedroom / 1 Bathroom
Get an instant quote
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.