Vacation and Business Get-a-Way/Lay-Over
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:2 nights
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:No
John Day chalet description
A Fly-in or Drive-in retreat.
Discounts with stays over 3 nights.
The John Day Valley Chalet, as we like to call it, is located right above the town of John Day, Oregon and just below the local airport for which we have a Suburu wagon for fly-ins. It has a great view of the entire eastern valley and of Big Canyon Mountain to the south. It is a perfect vacation home for families or an ideal location as a corporate lodging facility for those coming for a few days on business in the valley.
The Chalet is very private, sitting on 3 acres, out of sight of the few other homes in the area. It is completely furnished with a complete modern kitchen and all the amenities of a nice country retreat, though you won't be roughing it. It sleeps 6 in three spacious bedrooms with pillow top queen beds and a couple of single floor mattresses for the kids or extra vacationers. There are two full bathrooms, one with double sink and double shower and large walk-in closet.
There is dish TV with HBO and player with numerous videos, CD player, internet and local telephone as well as laundry room.
Outside we have a 15 x 22 ft. deck with Patio set and Bar and Babeque. Its steps go down to a large yard overlooking the valley complete with Gazebo, Fire pit, Horse shoe pit and just outdoor lounging.
The driveway is large enough for large RV's to turn around in or park next to the home itself.
There is also a nice 6 x 10 ft. wire kennel with dog house for outside use and a dog house in the garage for inside use on cold days.
Like I said, the home is totally furnished and equipped. Just bring your suitcase and your groceries.
It is beautiful, quiet and clean and we leave the keys in our car in this country.
- 1700 sq. ft.
- 1 story
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Pets Considered:
- Children Welcome:
- Limited Accessibility:
- Non Smoking Only:
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Events Allowed
Bedrooms: 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8, Beds for 6-8
- couple of single floor mattresses for the kids or extra vacationers
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms
Kitchen & Dining
- Ice Maker
- Coffee Maker
- Child's Highchair
- Clothes Dryer
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Living Room seats 10
- Air Conditioning
- Washing Machine
- Towels Provided
- Linens Provided
- Video Library
- Satellite / Cable
- DVD Player
- Outdoor Grill
- Deck / Patio
- Lanai / Gazebo
- Tourist Attractions
- Sports & Activities
- Away From It All
Location & View
- Mountain View
- Water Tubing
- Hunting Small Game
- Medical Services
- Massage Therapist
- Hunting Big Game
- Fitness Center
- Basketball Court
- Cross Country Skiing
- Mountain Biking
- Scenic Drives
- Bird Watching
- Sight Seeing
- Horseback Riding
- Wildlife Viewing
- The John Day Valley is located in Eastern Oregon, approximately 125 miles east of Bend, Ore & 190 miles east of Boise, Idaho & 100 miles south of Pendelton, Ore. & 75 miles North of Burns, Ore. The two hughways to John Day are Hwy 26, east/west and Hwy 395 north/south. The John Day Airport is located 2 miles from town on the plateau above the town. A car is also available for fly-ins, at a nominal rate. This is a relatively untouched country in many ways. There are many back roads and 'circle' drives around the entire county and close enough to other great sites for reasonable day trips or over nights, such as the Steens Mountain/Alvord desert country. It is in the Strawberry Mt. wilderness country and quite spectacular and accessible to several wilderness areas and mountain hiking and hunting. The John Day river system, the last undamned system in the US, provides great fishing and swimming. It is in easy driving distance from most all the sites in the basin including the main, south, north and middle forks of the John Day River, Mogone Lake, Murderers Creek, Bear Valley, and the Strawberry and Aldrich Mts. and Blue Mts. look out towers, Kiberley Orchards for picking, fishing, swimming and picnicking, the John Day fossil beds and museum, several swimming holes and hunting, hiking, cycling and winter events. We came over Dixie Pass, from the east, and bought property that day in 1972, we were so taken with it, and we still are. Like I said, drive in or fly in and enjoy some very special country and good people. ...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
Amazing view, wonderful house
Amazing view, wonderful house
This was a great VRBO experience. The house is up above the city with a wonderful view. We stayed 4 nights (myself, my husband, our one-year old, and my in-laws) and spent a lot of time enjoying the view both from outside and from the living room. We ate almost every meal out on the deck enjoying the warm weather and view. We brought spotting scopes and saw deer and geese clear across the valley. The house is very clean, new, nice, and comfortable. Kitchen was fully stocked. We were all extremely happy with our stay. If we come back to this area we would definitely want to stay here again. The house is close in proximity to other homes but it's completely private, once you drive up the driveway. We cooked some at the house and ate out several times. You have to eat at the Outpost. We had breakfast and lunch here (different days) and both were great and with good service. We also tried the Snaffle Bit Dinner House. Yum! This place was amazing. They seriously had the best tomato soup ever. And great steaks. But call ahead here, they aren't open everyday and sometimes just evening hours. I enjoyed a walk up the hill one evening, this house was just in an ideal location for us. John Day is such a small town that it felt safe to be out and about by myself. The house was also great for our one-year old. She's very active and on the move but the house was pretty childproof. We did move a few breakable items out ot the way but our daughter loved the house and felt right at home.
- Guest Laci (Willamette Valley, Oregon)
- Date of stay 05/11/13
- Review Submitted 05/19/13
Recommended for: Families with young children, romantic getaway, sightseeing, age 55+.
Owner response: Laci, Thanks for the nice review. Yes, this little valley has some surprises in it. Be well, Jim and Sandy Bay
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
2 night min stay
Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun
Discounts: 10 nights or more: $132 Nightly - Weekend Nights excluded
Additional information about rental rates
Rates shown are base rates only for up to 3 persons. Rates will vary according to number or persons and length of stay.
Add $30 per night per person, less discounts over 3 days.
Suburu wagon available for fly-ins at $30 per day plus gas.
Dogs limited to two, charged $10 per night each.
Kennel available and or garage may be used. No pets inside of home please.
No other pets allowed.
Payment of 20% at time of reservation by credit card, checks (after clearing) or cash. Deposit redeemed if canceled one full week ahead.
Credit card # and its information held for damage deposit
on all reservations or $500 check for non-credit card payments.
Additional Fees and Taxes:
9% tax plus $50 cleaning fee for 4 nights or more, unless otherwise agreed upon.
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
- Nearest Airport: John Day Municiple at 1 Miles
- Nearest Motorway: Hwy 26 & Hwy 395 at 1 Miles
- Nearest Barpub: All Bars at 1 Miles
- Nearest Golf: John Day Golf course at 4 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: All restaurants at 1 Miles
Year Purchased: 2012
About the owner: Jim discovered the John Day Valley in August of 1972. He bought an old mining claim on Big Canyon Mountain that day and has been enjoying the valley ever since. He came up every year for 34 years always with the dream to retire here. Jim and Sandy finally moved to the John Day Valley permanently in 2006 and wanted to provide quality vacation rentals for others to be able to enjoy vacation here also. They now have 2 vacation properties in the valley, each one very different from the other.
Why the Owner Chose John Day:
We loved this property for its privacy, access to town, beautiful views and all the up to date amenities of a modern efficient, yet country home.
- Primary: + (415) 748-8697 (California, USA)
- Secondary: + (541) 932-2725 (Oregon, USA)
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2013.
Date last modified - Saturday, May 25, 2013
3 Bedroom / 2 Bathroom
Get an instant quote
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.