Nature Lover's Oceanfront Wildlife Sanctuary
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:3-7 nights
- Pets considered:Ask Owner
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Barra de Santiago hotel description
This cozy property is a family owned house that after some years was turned into a small beach hotel for foreign tourists visiting El Salvador and local families looking for a peaceful spot for their weekend or vacation.
The spectacular location at the beach front of the protected natural area of Barra de Santiago with access to the estuary (lagoon) at the back side of the property makes this the perfect spot for nature lovers and adventure seekers. You have a view of the ocean from your bedroom window and can access the calm estuary at the back side of the property. The area is extremely safe and secluded and you will have the beach for yourself most of the time (especially outside vacation periods) Coconut palms dot the property and our lawn and garden surrounds the living areas. If you wish to relax with a coconut in the hammock you will enjoy the two beachfront palm thatched pangas.
A small sun deck with lazy chairs are great for enjoying the sun and if you wish some quiet time in the shade go to the cool corridor in front of the bedrooms or the dining or living room areas. Most of the main construction is made out of local material such as the palm thatched roofs, the wooden beams and clay tiles. We want the buildings to blend in with nature and also give the guests and opportunity to experience the luxury of the hand made palm thatched roofs that are beautiful to see and give a particular coolness a regular roof never can provide.
The dining room area has a long wooden family table that seats 12 and the other living room area has two smaller tables seating 4 each. The kitchen has basic kitchen ware and eating utensils for 12 persons. A small outdoor barbecue is an option for grilling fresh seafood.
Each room has its own private bathroom with toilet, sink and shower. The water is not heated but maintain lukewarm throughout the year. All the rooms have A/C and one single bed and double bed while the master bedroom has one single bed and a queen bed plus a larger bath. The corridor located in front of all the room is great for relaxing and enjoying the view. The property is spacious (total 3300 square meters of which 300 is constructed) and there is plenty of space to move around, enjoy ball games and the children can play in sand in the shade of coconut palms. The ecological style of our property means we strive to provide a simple but well kept and clean place where we emphasize the visitor should enjoy nature and the beautiful surroundings thus we have no TV in the rooms, just in the living room area and there is no pool as the beach is just some meters away as well as the estuary. The amazing sunsets and starry skies as night you experience here serves as entertainment as no other.
If you wish to explore the mangrove forest, the estuary and the tip of the peninsula by boat, Julio Cesar one of the best guides in the village can pick you up from the property for a tailor made tour. Lush mangroves with the amazing wildlife, bird watching, the archaeological site “El Cajete” (950 A.D.), sailing up river to see the crocodiles that laze on the river beds, watching the local fishermen throw their nets from dug out canoes or have a cool drink while swimming in the calm waters by La Bocana are all part of this experience. Surf is great at Barra de Santiago and the waves are suited for both beginners and advanced surfers. We can provide surf instructors and surf boards. Barra de Santiago is one of the best turtle beaches in El Salvador and during the season (June to December) ocean turtles nest their eggs at night. Some of these eggs are brought to local turtle farms managed by local nature conservation organizations and released back into the ocean when hatched. If you wish to participate in the turtle nesting or releasing, this can be arranged. The largest National Park in El Salvador “El Imposible” is just one hour away by car and provides guided tours with park rangers. Another area worth visiting is Ruta de Las Flores which is string of quaint coffee producing villages along the volcanic mountain chain where you can purchase arts and crafts and get a cup of great coffee and enjoy the cool mountain air. Another close destination is the Los Cobanos beach where you find the only white sand beach in El Salvador. The property is perfect to use as a base while visiting interesting places in Western El Salvador but is also great for just relaxing. If you need transportation to and from the International Airport or within El Salvador contact owner for arranging this.
- On floor 1
- 300 m²
- 1 story
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Housekeeper Included
- Children Welcome
Bedrooms: 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 12, Beds for 8-12
Bathrooms: 4 Bathrooms, 2 Half Bathrooms
Kitchen & Dining
- Dining Area Seats:
- Dishes & Utensils
- Towels Provided:
- Air Conditioning
- The location of the hotel in conducive to explore the amazing natural beauties this nature reserve has to offer. The beach in front of the hotel is a favored nesting spot for endangered sea turtles and the entire peninsula as well as the mangroves behind it is rated as one of the best places for bird watching in the country. A boat tour into the mangroves with one of the local guides is a must. If you go up river along the mangroves you can even spot crocodiles laze on the riverbeds. Surf board and surf instruction is also available....moreless
- Water Sports Gear:
- Lanai / Gazebo:
- Lawn / Garden:
- Away From It All
Location & View
- Beach View
- Wildlife Viewing
- Freshwater Fishing
- Bird Watching
- Scenic Drives
- Eco Tourism
- The Barra de Santiago peninsula and basin is a protected natural area and the scenery for a wide range of authentic nature experiences. The tip of the peninsula, estuary and mangroves are excellent for bird-watching. The mangroves and canals simmers with life and exploring the area with a boat is a great opportunity to get a glimpse of the unique species found here, many of which are also endangered. As you slide into the mangrove canals you may also spot crocodiles who laze on the riverbed. This is one of the best turtle beaches in the country and during the season from June to December you have an opportunity to observe the sea turtles nest their eggs on the beach. Several local conservation programs keep turtle farms and periodically turtle babies are released into the ocean. If you want to participate, we can help to arrange it. Other activities we recommend are surfing and long relaxing walks at this stunning beach. If you wish to explore the nearby area there are several options. The largest National Park of El Salvador:'El Imposible' is just one hour away and here hiking, bathing in waterholes and rivers and enjoying nature are the main attractions. Los Cobanos has a coral reef and hosts great diving and whale watching (in season) and is just one hour drive from Barra de Santiago. Other places to visit are the quaint tourist villages along the Ruta de Las Flores which is a string of small coffee producing villages cradled along the western volcanic range. A round trip accessing the Ruta de Las Flores along the scenic road passing by Jujutla and Guamango and driving down the route exiting in Sonsonate makes for a great day trip to then come back to relax at the beach....moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
This property does not have any reviews yet.
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
3 night min stay
Fri, Sat, Sun
Discounts: 14 nights or more: $150 Nightly - Weekend Nights excluded
Dec 15 - Jan 15
3 night min stay
Mar 15 - Apr 15
7 night min stay
|August Vacation Season
Jul 20 - Aug 15
3 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
There is no refund for payments. However if the guest is prevented from coming during our regular season and notify at least 48 hours before the reservation date, the reservation can be changed but is subject to availability. Cancellation policy for high season is different and depends on the season, communicate with owner for details.
In order to confirm reservations a 50% deposit is required for regular season and 100% during our 3 high seasons. Communicate with owner for details for payments.
Additional Fees and Taxes:
The local 13% taxi is included in fee
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
- Nearest Airport: Comalapa International Airport at 105 Kilometres
- Nearest Motorway: Paved main road at 10 Kilometres
- Nearest Beach: Barra de Santiago at Barra de Santiago
- Nearest Restaurant: Small local seafood diner at 1 Kilometres
About the owner: We are a Salvadorian / Norwegian couple who love nature and ecology. We run an organic farm, a small guest house for foreigners in San Salvador and we love traveling around in El Salvador and especially the beautiful western region. Barra de Santiago is our favorite place and we love to share the experience staying at this amazing place with other visitors to El Salvador.
Why the Owner Chose Barra de Santiago:
Capricho used to be the family vacation spot but some of the foreign guests lodged in our San Salvador hotel would come visit and they all became enchanted with this beautiful beach and surrounding area. We decided to turn it into a small beach hotel in 1999. Most of our guests are nature lovers and adventure seekers who appreciate the beautiful scenery.
The Unique Benefits at this Hotel:
The property is located in a nature reserve. Bird and wildlife is unique here. The mangrove forest is the third biggest but yet the best preserved in the country and is the home for many ecological conservation programs. The beach is nesting ground for the sea turtle which are an endangered species and in the mangroves you can see the crocodiles in their natural habitat. The mangroves and basin is of the best places for bird watching in El Salvador
- Primary: +503 78608632
- Secondary: +503 79814517
Peninsula Barra de Santiago, a protected nature reserve.
Main house with 4 bed rooms and corridor
View from the main house towards lawn area
Corridor in front of 4 bedrooms
Back side of property. Here you can access the estuary (150 mts)
Bedroom # 2
Bedroom # 3
Bath for bedroom #3
Bath for bedroom # 4
Experience the sea turtle nest eggs just 100 mts from your bedroom
View from the beach side towards the main house.
Corridor in front of the 4 bedrooms
Palm thatched pangas in front of the beach
Inside one of the palm thatched living room areas
The two living room areas seen from above
Bath for bedroom # 1
Bath for bedroom #2
Bedroom # 3
Bedroom # 4
We are located at one of the best beaches in El Salvador
Waves are great for both beginners and advanced surfers
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2013.
Date last modified - Thursday, May 23, 2013
4 Bedroom / 4.5+ Bathroom
Get an instant quote
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.