Cong, the Best Preserved Village in Western Ireland
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:3 nights
- Pets considered:Ask Owner
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Cong house description
No 1 Canal House is an ideal house for friends or family to enjoy a luxurious and comfortable holiday in an idyllic location. Every room has forest views. Upstairs, the 3 double bedrooms and 1 single bedroom each have their own en- suite bathrooms. Downstairs the kitchen and living area are very spacious with 2 two-seater leather couches and 1 three-seater leather couch. There is a 32 inch flat screen TV with Sky channels connected. Also a DVD player. The house is centrally heated and has wi-fi internet connection. The well equipped kitchen is a chefs delight with modern appliances and a large dining table seating at most, 10 people. Off the kitchen is an amenities room with washing machine and dryer. A toilet and washroom joins the amenities room. French Doors open from the kitchen/dining into the private walled garden where you can enjoy al fresco dining. A local Cong family live in No 2 Canal House. Canal House is a superior home, well built with the highest quality fittings set in spacious grounds with room for parking a number of vehicles in front of the house. Walk down the country road, over the bridge with the duck crossing and you are in the main street of the truly authentic village of Cong.
- 16 m²
- 2 story
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Limited Accessibility
- Children Welcome
Bedrooms: 0 Bedrooms, Sleeps 7, Beds for 7
- 3 Double Bedrooms and 1 Single
Bathrooms: 0 Bathrooms
- 4 en-suite bathrooms
Kitchen & Dining
- Dining Area Seats:
- Pantry Items
- Dishes & Utensils
- Coffee Maker
- Hair Dryer
- Clothes Dryer
- Linens Provided
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Freshwater Fishing
- Mountain Climbing
- Pier Fishing
- Fly Fishing
- Massage Therapist
- Medical Services
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Horseback Riding
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Bird Watching
- Botanical Garden
- Wildlife Viewing
- Sight Seeing
- Scenic Drives
- Cong has changed little in the 60 years since John Wayne was filmed in the well known movie, The Quiet Man. It is a classic Irish village that encircles the ruins of a sixth century monastery, the resting place of the last High King of Ireland. It is only a short walk to magnificent Ashford Castle, built in 1228 by the Normans and extended by the Guinness family and transformed into a top class Hotel. The grounds include a superb golf course, thatched cottage restaurant, the equestrian centrehorse and Ireland's School of Falconry. The crystal clear trout and salmon streams that surround the village attract fly fishermen from all over Europe. Village forest walks take you into another world, peaceful and magical. You can visit the oldest pilgrimage route in Europe, steps leading into 5th century tiny stone churches on an island in Lough Corrib. The ferry leaves daily from the pier at Ashford Castle. The wonderful scenic Connemara region is to the west of Cong via the picturesque Partry mountains where sheep wander the roads in scenes that are so tranquil, it is hard to imagine the normal hustlen and bustle of daily reality. The village itself has top quality food in shops, restaurants and pubs. There are busy coffee shops in the season and music in the pubs in the evenings. When you choose Canal House you can park your car and relax and enjoy the west of Ireland as it was. ...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
We stayed hare for five nights. The house is spacious and well equipped. Pam was very gracious and helpful. It was so nice to be able to take a short stroll to the village for a meal or to obtain provisions. Also very centrally located to tour the west. I would not hesitate to recommend this home.
- Guest kate pallies (-)
- Date of stay 05/07/13
- Review Submitted 05/27/13
Recommended for: Adventure seekers, tourists without a car, families with young children, families with teenagers, girls getaway, romantic getaway, sightseeing.
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
3 night min stay
Fri, Sat, Sun
Discounts: 14 nights or more: €95 Nightly - Weekend Nights excluded
Additional information about rental rates
100 EURO DEPOSIT to secure the rental. Full payment in Euros on arrival is required and the 100 Euro deposit will be returned when everything is in order at the end of the stay.
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Sorry this information is not available. Please contact the owner for more information.
- Nearest Airport: KNOCK at 75 Kilometres
- Nearest Ferry: LOUGH CORRIB at 2 Kilometres
- Nearest Train: GALWAY at 50 Kilometres
- Nearest Motorway: HEADFORD RD at 5 Kilometres
- Nearest Beach: LOUGH CORRIB at 2 Kilometres
- Nearest Barpub: LYDONS at 0.25 Kilometres
- Nearest Golf: ASHFORD CASTLE at 1 Kilometres
- Nearest Restaurant: LYDONS BAR AND RESTAURANT, MOLLY BLOOMS at 0.25 Kilometres
Year Purchased: 2011
About the owner: I currently live in Cong and Galway after growing up in Australia. My family were from county Clare and Galway. My love for Ireland brought me back to the home my family never stopped talking about even though 10000 miles separated them from their past. My 90 year old father from Australia and I on the monastery bridge. He visits regularly and loves Cong
Why the Owner Chose Cong:
I chose this property because it is so close to the village but in a beautiful natural forest setting. It is well constructed to the highest standards. I chose the village of Cong because the first time I discovered it I felt that I had stepped into a time warp. I had found a village that was essentially unchanged from its original plan. The lovely ruins of the ancient monastery are the central point in this picturesque village. You ca get away from the rush of modern living but still enjoy fun and music and good craic in the local pubs and not be without any modern convenience.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
There is a wonderful sense of freedom in the house as the windows are large and look out to the superb greenery of the Irish forest. Everyone comments that the house is relaxing and is luxuriously comfortable and quiet but close to pubs, shops, music and great food.
- Primary: +353862147053
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Large living room with views to the forest
The spacious, modern, well-appointed kitchen and dining area. Doors to garden
Foor spacious and beautifully tiled en-suite bathrooms
From the gate of Canal House to Molly Blooms (green) on the main street.
Bedroom 2 with views to natural forest
Bedroom 3. Forest views and en-suite bathroom. Bedroom 4 is a single bedroom
Walk to Lough Corrib and the magnificent Ashford Castle
Ferry to Inchoigal Island to the historical pilgrims walk and monastery
Walled garden for outdoor living
Maing bedroom and en-suite bathroom
Canal House. Cross the bridge from the main street. It is the third house.
Living room. Whole house centrally heated
Bedroom 2 with en-suite bathroom
Ryans butcher and food emporium. Fresh local produce top quality living.
Walk to the ancient monastery and fish from the crystal clear streams
5th century monastic settlement, one of the oldest surviving in Europe
There have been visitors to this page since
the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2013.
Date last modified - Saturday, May 25, 2013