Zen-Like Japanese Style Retreat in Berkeley Hills
You sent a message to this manager.
- Minimum stay:3 nights
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Berkeley house description
I am a woodworker and craftsman and no detail of this redwood shingled home was left unembellished. From the cozy glass-enclosed, wisteria and Japanese maple shrouded front deck to the redwood tree and fern shaded rear yard, surrounded by Japanese style fencing and gates, wonderful lighting, scuplture and foliage, everything was designed with an eye toward relaxation, meditation, quiet and calming sights and sounds.
We have rates for three bedroom, 2 1/2 bath renters and two bedroom, 1 1/2 bath renters, your choice. The master bedroom has a double bed, built-in TV, lots of built-in cupboard space, a large skylight, lace curtains, a dresser, bookshelves, and a small closet for hanging clothes. The bathroom has a large bath, separate shower, fully tiled and lit by large skylight and two large windows looking out at live oak, camellia and redwood trees.
One bedroom, which we call the 'fossil room,' has a large skylight, trillium fossil impregnated granite counter tops, a beautiful granite lined 1/2 bath, double bed, cherry and birdseye maple lined closet and cabinets, and large bookshelves.
The third bedroom contains a comfy queen sized bed and a hand-made maple crib, antique boudoir and mirror, with good reading lights over the bed. Great for reading stories to the kids before they fall asleep after a relaxing day around Berkeley and the Bay...
The rear yard usually draws gasps because of its beauty. The yard is surrounded by a Japanese style redwood fence, with shoji screens, textured glass, intricate joinery and pegged with handmade hardwood pegs. An Indonesian limestone vessel caps a water feature surrounded by three-rivers stone work. Antique bronze Japanese temple lanterns light up the area in a festive way. Great place for an al fresco evening supper.
Most of the neighbors have lived in the area for more than 20 years, with rarely a turnover.
Theft is almost unheard of on this block. You can safely walk for miles around this neighborhood at night without concern.
It's a 1.5 mile walk to the UC Berkeley campus, .75 mile walk to the Rose Garden and Codernices Park, with its large concrete children's slide, basketball and tennis courts.
The kitchen is a professional cook's dream - a large DCS gas range with an extra-hot center grill for steaks, chops, and kabobs, located on an island. The DCS oven is fast, efficient and easy to operate. The kitchen is fully equipped with all the dishware, cutlery, food prep tools, microwave, large fridge and freezer, etc. and looks out through handmade wood frame windows at the lovely Meyer lemon tree on the deck.
The living room has an upright piano available for use, skylights, beamed ceiling, fireplace, a stereo, record player, tape deck, reel-to-reel tape deck, and complete television system. No cable, however, but access through a Roku device and a Google TV to all the television programs and movies on the web via Netflix and HuluPlus.
- 1750 sq. ft.
- 1 story
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Housekeeper Included
- Limited Accessibility:
- Children Welcome:
- Events Allowed
- Pets Considered
- Non Smoking Only
Bedrooms: 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 7, Beds for 6-7
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms, 1 Half Bathroom
Kitchen & Dining
There's a nice oval cherry kitchen table I built that seats six easily and more if necessary. Dining for more is in the living room area with two drop leaf tables that serve up to 16 people....moreless
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Coffee Maker:
- Pantry Items:
- Linens Provided:
- Washing Machine:
- Air Conditioning:
- Clothes Dryer:
- Towels Provided:
- Iron & Board
- Hair Dryer
Small video library, but access to online use of hundreds of films via Roku - a device to accessing Netflix and Hulu Plus. Also, guests may, at their own cost, purchase or rent films via Amazon....moreless
- Satellite / Cable:
Location & View
- Scuba Diving Or Snorkeling
- Roller Blading
- Ice Skating
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Surf Fishing
- Medical Services
- Massage Therapist
- Fitness Center
- Golf Privileges Optional
- Freshwater Fishing
- Equestrian Events
- Mountain Biking
- Basketball Court
- Rock Climbing
- Water Skiing
- Jet Skiing
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Bird Watching
- Live Theater
- Botanical Garden
- Recreation Center
- Sight Seeing
- Wildlife Viewing
- Outlet Shopping
- Gambling Casinos
- Eco Tourism
- Paddle Boating
- Scenic Drives
- We are located in one of the friendliest and safest neighborhoods in the Bay Area, a 20-minute walk from Berkeley's 'Gourmet Ghetto', shopping, Tilden Park, the Berkeley Rose Garden, Solano Avenue shopping eateries, parks, tennis courts, a mile from the Tilden Golf Course. We are 700 feet elevation in the hills on a level street with no significant views from the house, but great Bay Area views within one or two blocks in any direction. Excellent restaurants such Rivoli, Chez Panisse, Lalimes, Vanessa's, Liaisons, La Note, Ajanti, Rendevous, etc. are all within 10 to 15 min. of our front door. The University of California campus is 1.5 miles down the hill, with numerous campus museums, libraries, the Greek Theater, football stadium, Campanile tower, eucalyptus grove, Telegraph Avenue. A local bus stops 150 feet from the front door that will take you to downtown Berkeley, the campus, and a BART station. Berkeley's 'theater district' includes the Berkeley Repertory Theater, a Tony-winning company with two large modern theaters, the Aurora Theater, the Jazz School, and a rock and folk venue Freight and Salvage. Berkeley's marina has boat and sail board rentals, wind-surfing, a fishing pier with spectacular views, three major excellent restaurants on the bay, kiting, hiking, and dog runs. San Francisco is about 20 minutes drive or 30 minutes by BART from the north Berkeley station. Tilden Park is hundreds of acres of wild flowers, hiking and biking trails, a petting zoo, carousel, Lake Anza swimming and sunning, a botanical garden, miniature but ridable railroad for children, horseback riding, Lawrence Hall of Science and the Strawberry Canyon swimming and UC Botanical Garden. ...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
This property does not have any reviews yet.
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
3 night min stay
|March 1st thru 3rd special
Mar 1 - Mar 3
3 night min stay
Fri, Sat, Sun
Additional information about rental rates
The above rate is for two bedrooms. The three bedroom, 2 1/2 bath rates are: $300/night, $1890/week, $6800/month.
- Pet Fee: $50
- Taxes Not included
100% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date.
This manager accepts HomeAway payments.
Always use this free service to protect your payments up to $10,000 against fraud while keeping your financial information private. With HomeAway Payments, your credit card information is not seen by the owner or manager. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Call the owner to confirm booking request.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Sorry this information is not available. Please contact the manager for more information.
- Nearest Airport: Oakland International at 15 Miles
- Nearest Ferry: Jack London Square Oakland at 9 Miles
- Nearest Train: Amtrak Station at 3 Miles
- Nearest Motorway: I-80/I-580 at 3 Miles
- Nearest Beach: Albany Knob Regional Seashore at 3.5 Miles
- Nearest Barpub: Caesar's at 2 Miles
- Nearest Ski: Sugar Bowl at 120 Miles
- Nearest Golf: Tilden1 at 1 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: Ajanti Indian Food at 1 Miles
Year Purchased: 1976
About: Bob is a woodworker specializing one-of-a-kind Japanese-style furnishing, furniture and outdoor hard scapes. He's a former newspaper journalist and later a lawyer, now retired and manages an artists' live-work warehouse in west Berkeley, where his wood shop is located. He's remodeled and adorned virtually every part of this home and filled it with his furniture and furnishings. Rosie is a retired statistician and expert witness who now spends most of her time in artistic pursuits, especially pencil and ink drawings. She writes and illustrates children's books, and has become an excellent and innovative cook.
We travel to New York City annually for three months to take courses in art and photography in Manhattan. This frees up the home to be used and enjoyed by others during that period. But we have lived in this home for 37 years after attending the University and getting graduate degrees. We never wanted to live elsewhere. The neighbors are all friendly and dear to us and create a community in the truest sense. That's the irreplaceable value of this property.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
This is a very diverse neighborhood of high functioning people from all over the country and the world. Each home is unique and many are beautiful. The trees, foliage and other landscaping around the area are mature, mostly native, and inspiring. The wildlife, including deer, migratory birds, squirrels, turkeys, etc. and a lush reminder that we're not alone on the planet.
- Primary: + (510) 390 2571 Call between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Pacific time
- Secondary: +1 510 390-2571 Call between 9 a.m. and 5 Pacific time
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Glassed in front deck and entry
Fossil room bed
Livingroom with tonsu
Upright piano in livingroom
There have been visitors to this page since
the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2013.
Date last modified - Thursday, May 23, 2013
Get a rental quote, then book it!
Tell us your travel details and get an instant price quote from Hayley or Bodhi Kroll