New House with Special Introductory Prices for Fall/Winter 2013
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:3-7 nights
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Kapoho house description
Our son is a Beverly Hills Architect and he designed this house as a special retirement home for his parents. The house has bamboo 23' vaulted, hand rubbed beam ceilings with floating globe pendants. There is a curved staircase with Mango steps that leads from the living room to the 2nd bedroom and on to the master bedroom. The whole house has massive windows to take advantage of the 180 degree view of the Wai Opae Tide pools. One of the most spectacular things about this house is that it faces east and every morning the sun rises with awe inspiring colors while tinting the tide pools all shades of gold, orange and pink.
Our home has 2 bedrooms and 2 baths and sleeps 6. The Master bedroom is on the top floor and is a loft room allowing a 180 degree view of the ocean from the queen size bed. Whether it is a fast storm, a brilliant sunrise or the changing colors of the tide pools the view never gets old. There isn't a better place to sit back with a good book then up on the Master Bedroom lanai (deck) with it's comfortable chairs and endless ocean views. The master bathroom is very unique in that it has it's own lanai with an indoor/outdoor shower and a free standing deep soaking tub. The cabinets are made from Mango wood and the counter top is flamed black granite.
The guest bedroom also with a queen size bed and was designed so that it is five feet higher than the living room. The front wall is movable which lets the ocean view be the center piece of this room. There are floor to ceiling jalousie windows framing the bed and looking down on the back yard tide ponds For additional guests there are two single futons to make the home comfortable for 6 people.
The main bathroom has a tiled tub and shower combination with large windows. The resin sink has real sea shells and coral, There is a laundry area with full sized front loading washer and dryer and storage area behind bi-fold doors.
The kitchen is modern and has top of the line African Ribbon Mahogany cabinets with flamed and leathered granite counters. The appliances are new and include a side by side refrigerator with an ice maker that holds 10 lbs of ice. It also has a dishwasher and microwave/convection oven and a large island with a gas stove and oven and seating for three. The island looks out to the living room and the large lanai so the cook can always be part of the group. There is enough space in the Kitchen so that 4 people can work comfortably. The kitchen has it's own 'breakfast' Lanai with table and chairs - The perfect spot to have that morning cup of coffee while watching the sunrise. The kitchen is fully stocked with everything needed to prepare gourmet meals.
There are two sets of bi-fold doors in the living room; one faces the ocean and makes the ocean become a living part of the house and the other opens up on to the lanai providing a seamless transition from indoors to outdoors. After a busy day of snorkeling and sight seeing there are comfortable chairs and a place to put the feet up and relax while watching a 42' flat screen tv with satellite feed and wireless internet.
Out the living room bi-fold doors is the lanai with it's cumaru deck, teak furniture, bbq, ti ki bar and the main dining table and chairs. The 600 sq ft lanai not only over looks the ocean it also overlooks the back yard which has two large ponds that rise and fall with the ocean tide. The ponds are brackish (which means that they are a combination of fresh and salt water) and are home to a large school of Tilapia fish which love to be fed.
Because the lot is only 5 feet above sea level the house has been built on 12' cement columns. Under the house is a jacuzzi and as soon as the landscaping has time to grow will have a living wall of privacy.
There are stranded bamboo hardwood floors through out the house, mango custom cabinetry, unique floor plan and awe inspiring views which make this a perfect vacation home for anyone that wants to hear the waves, watch the whales jump, have world class snorkeling 40 ft from the front door and experience the most glorious sunrises imaginable.
- 1300 sq. ft.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Events Allowed
- Non Smoking Only
- Children Welcome
- Pets Not Allowed
Bedrooms: 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6, Beds for 6
- The master bedroom is a loft that looks out over the wide expanse of the Wai Opae Tide Pools. We decided not to wall out our view by closing in the bedroom. There is a 10' sliding door that opens up on to a third floor lanai. The second bedroom was designed a half a floor above the living room so if desired the sleepers can have a view of the ocean. The queen sized bed is set between floor to ceiling jalousie windows that look out on the tide ponds in the back yard....moreless
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms
Kitchen & Dining
Island kitchen with flamed and leathered granite counters, top of the line African Ribbon Mahogany cabinets, granite sink, tile back splash. The kitchen is large and easily handles 4 cooks....moreless
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Pantry Items:
- Washing Machine:
- Clothes Dryer
- Video Library:
- Satellite / Cable
Lanai / Gazebo:
There are 4 lanai's. The largest is 600 sq ft and spans a tide pond. Views are the ocean and back yard tide ponds. With the living room bi-fold doors open the lanai become part of the house....moreless
- Deck / Patio:
- Water Sports Gear:
- Tourist Attractions
- Sports & Activities
- Away From It All
Location & View
Our Vacation Home has a 270 degree view of the Wai Opae Tide pools, the waves crashing on the reef and the ocean beyond. During the season you can see whales and dolphins from the living room couch....moreless
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Deepsea Fishing
- Pier Fishing
- Medical Services
- Hunting Small Game
- Scuba Diving Or Snorkeling
- Surf Fishing
- Live Theater
- Recreation Center
- Bird Watching
- Wildlife Viewing
- Massage Therapist
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
- Whale Watching
- Kapoho Sunrise House overlooks the Wai Opae Marine Conservation District. The tide pools are a safe nursery for young fish. The snorkeling is world class with thousands of fish and over 26 types of coral. Our vacation house is located a mile off of the Red Road, arguably one of the most beautiful drives in Hawaii. Just a mile south on the red road is the hot pond knows as the Millionaire's pond. Just imagine floating in a large rock walled pool in 90 degree water with palm trees overhead and the ocean waves crashing just on the other side of the break water! Down the road another mile is Issac Hale State Park. This is one of the only beaches on the East side of the Big Island that has surfing and boogie boarding. It also has a boat dock and if you are lucky enough to catch one of the local fishermen coming ashore from a fishing trip you might be able to buy fresh Hawaiian fish direct from them. Further south on the Red road is MacKinzey State Park. From the rock ledges watch the waves crash into the lava walls and send spray 20 to 80 feet in to the air. During high surf it is necessary to be careful not to get drenched. Again heading south there are beautiful turnouts just to watch the waves and become mesmerized by the color of the water. Look for cars parked along the road and a a small path down to the black sand beach. This i Kehena beach which is a bathing suit optional beach. End of the road is Kalapana where the relentless lava covered most of the village in 1990's. The new black sand beaches of Kalapana can be seen after a short walk starting at the cul de sak at the end of the road. Wednesday night is a 'not to be missed' farmers market with an open bar, island music and international and local food. The band plays all type of music and it is not uncommon for local Hawaiians to stand up and do the hula when a loved Hawaiian song is played. Beyond Kalapana the lava is still working it's way to the ocean and the glow of the lava flow usually can be seen after dark. If you are lucky and the hot lava is going into the ocean steam clouds will be visible. From our Vacation Rental turn right - north - on to the red road from Kapoho Kai road and go to where the pavement ends and a dirt road begins you will enter a primeval Rain forest. This forest is so pristine that it is easy to believe that you have entered a time capsule and have traveled back in time to the age of Dinosaurs. With in close proximity to our vacation home and not to be missed is Lava Tree state park 5 miles, Volcano National Park, with the new Halemaumau crater, 40 miles, 4 mile scenic drive north of Hilo 40 miles, Akaka Falls 45 miles, Waiapio Valley 70 miles and the top of Mauna Kea mountain with its observatories and vast views 70 miles....moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
You may not want to go back home!
You may not want to go back home!
I was lucky to stay at this house with my family when it was almost completed but not yet on the market. We had a wonderful vacation. We felt just at home. The house is a gem of a design and the location is priceless. You could sit all day in the various lanais or living room while enjoying the cleanest ocean breeze or you could step downstairs and be in the ponds for one of the best snorkeling on the island. There are lots of wonderful activities to do and places to go near by. Don't miss the Kalapana market on Wednesday nights to hang out with the "locals" for some beautiful Hawaiian music or the Maku'u Farmers market on Sundays for all kind of crafts and souvenirs. All markets have delicious fresh food options. But at the end of the day, you may just end up sitting at home and disconnecting from the world while at "home away from home". Highly recommended.
- Guest Sweets (Santa Monica, CA)
- Date of stay 06/28/13
- Review Submitted 10/31/13
Recommended for: Families with teenagers, adventure seekers, romantic getaway, girls getaway, sightseeing, age 55+.
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Dec 2 - Dec 19, 2013
4 night min stay
Dec 20 - Jan 5, 2014
7 night min stay
Apr 13 - Jun 1, 2014
4 night min stay
Aug 25 - Nov 21, 2014
4 night min stay
Dec 19 - Jan 4, 2015
7 night min stay
|My Standard Rate
4 night min stay
Fees and Rental Conditions:
- Property Damage Protection: $49
- Cleaning Fee: $150 + tax
- Tax Rate 13.416%
100% refund if canceled at least 60 days before arrival date.
Always use this free service to protect your payments up to $10,000 against fraud while keeping your financial information private. With HomeAway Payments, your credit card information is not seen by the owner or manager. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Call the owner to confirm booking request.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
- Nearest Airport: Hilo at 30 Miles
- Nearest Motorway: The Red Road (Hwy 137) at 1 Miles
- Nearest Beach: Wai Opae Tide Pools at 10 Metres
- Nearest Barpub: Pahoa at 9 Miles
- Nearest Ski: Mauna Kea at 65 Miles
- Nearest Golf: Hilo at 30 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: Pahoa at 9 Miles
Year Purchased: 2003
About the owner: We purchased the lot in Kapoho in 2003 and after 10 years of struggle the house is just now in the finishing stages. John and I were vendors and we traveled all over the United States selling Native American Jewelry at Indian Pow Wows and motorcycle rallies. Every time we traveled to Hawaii to do a show we would spend a week in a Kapoho. When we drove down the palm lined entrance to Kapoho Vacationland it felt like we were coming home. In 2003 we drove by the front of the tide pools and a realtor was pounding a for sale sign on this lot and we put it in escrow that day. It then took us 9 years before we could start building our dream house.
Why the Owner Chose Kapoho:
It is hard to imagine a place more beautiful and peaceful then this area.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
Sunrises and sunrises and sunrises and snorkeling and snorkeling and snorkeling and clean soft air, trade winds, moonrise, and a close knit community. Can it get any better than this?
- Primary: 808 937-6191 hawaii time
- Secondary: 760 522-0903 Pacific time
- Tertiary: 3106638648 Natalia Sullivan
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
The View from the living room over the tide pools.
Entrance into Kapoho Vacationlands.
Living Room Bifold Doors Open to let the Ocean inside.
Modern Kitchen with African Ribbon Mahogany Cabinets.
View from the top of the stairs and the master bedroom.
Master Bedroom lanai
The main lanai -- new out door furniture is on the way.
Another unforgettable Sunrise
Raccoon Butterfly Fish
Moon rise over the ponds
Juat a stop along the beautiful Red Road
Looking down from Mauna Kea on the road to the top.
Kapoho Sunrise House.
Sunrise from the Lanai
Living Room ceiling -Natural Black Bamboo, hand rubbed beams, and drop pendants
The second bedroom
The Master Bedroom is a loft that allows for a 180 degree of the ocean.
Still under construction is the Master Bathroom with a lanai open air shower
Backyard pond at high tide
One of the 26 kinds of coral in the pools.
A Beautiful afternoon at the ponds viewed from the kitchen lanai.
Mac Kinsey State Park where waves touch the sky
Lava making it's slow journey to the ocean
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2013.
Date last modified - Wednesday, October 16, 2013
2 Bedroom / 2 Bathroom
Get a rental quote, then book it!
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.