Historic Waterfront Inn Available for Vacation Rental
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:2-5 nights
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Anderson Island farmhouse description
Welcome to Anderson House
Anderson House at Oro Bay is a vacation rental home located on Anderson Island in the south Puget Sound region of Washington State. Nearby cities include Olympia, Seattle, Tacoma, Gig Harbor, Lakewood and Steilacoom. It is about a 2.5 hour drive from Portland, Oregon.
A short 20 minute ferry ride from Steilacoom on the mainland, Anderson Island is a wonderful retreat from everyday cares without the crowds of other Puget Sound islands. The Steilacoom ferry terminal is approximately 32 miles south of SeaTac International Airport.
Anderson House is owned by the Randy Anderson family, descendents of early Island pioneers Elsie & Erik Andersen. It was previously operated as a Bed and Breakfast Inn, and has been featured in Northwest Best Places, as well as Sunset and Puget Sound magazines.
This historic waterfront Scandinavian style farmhouse has a unique and peaceful setting on 20.86 acres, overlooking Oro Bay. The house has been completely renovated and updated in classic farmhouse style. Each room offers tranquil bay, garden or pastoral views. The expansive front porch is an ideal place to enjoy the view, read a book or rock your cares away as bald eagles soar above the tall fir trees and the bay. A private dock provides access to kayaks and small boats at high tide. The property features expansive flower and vegetable gardens. Cows can be seen grazing lazily in the adjacent pastures or next to the picturesque barn.
Anderson House is the ideal location for families and friends to gather for special occasions. It has been used for small business seminars, and creative retreats. Anderson House and property are not available for weddings or large parties of any kind. Children with adult supervision are welcome. No pets, no smoking and no RV parking or camping is allowed on the property. Our caretaker lives in the home adjacent to the property, should guests have questions during their stay.
The House sleeps a maximum of 13 people. Overnight guests are restricted to no more than 13 people. No more than 25 people are allowed on the property at any time.
The first floor of the house offers a formal living room with a wood burning fireplace and satellite TV / DVD player; a large farm style kitchen; a formal dining room with seating for 13; a den with two twin “toe to toe” beds, TV and attached full bathroom; a laundry room equipped with washer and dryer; and a powder room. The home is equipped with wireless Internet access and a land-line telephone for local calls.
The second floor has four queen size bedrooms, each with their own attached full bathroom (3 with shower, 1 with tub). One bedroom also has a twin daybed for sleeping.
The third floor playroom has one double bed with a half bathroom.
The bright kitchen is fully equipped with utensils, dishes, glassware, pots and serving dishes. Appliances include a Subzero refrigerator with ice maker, dishwasher, gas & halogen cook top stove, microwave and electric convection oven. The large, round breakfast table seats 6, and is a great place to hang out and keep busy cooks company. Conveniently located outside the kitchen is a gas grill for barbecuing.
- 4533 sq. ft.
- 3 story
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Minimum Age Limit For Renters:
- Limited Accessibility
- Pets Not Allowed
- Children Welcome
- Non Smoking Only
Bedrooms: 6 Bedrooms, Sleeps 13, Beds for 13
Bathrooms: 0 Bathrooms, 2 Half Bathrooms
Kitchen & Dining
- Pantry Items:
- Coffee Maker:
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Dining Area Seats:
- Ice Maker
- Linens Provided
- Clothes Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Towels Provided
- Deck / Patio:
- Kayak / Canoe:
- Sports & Activities
- Away From It All
Location & View
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Medical Services
- Fitness Center
- Pier Fishing
- Mountain Biking
- Basketball Court
- Jet Skiing
- Bird Watching
- Massage Therapist
- Wildlife Viewing
- The Island offers many recreational activities. By special arrangement to our guests, access is available to the Anderson family privately owned “Picnic Point” on the west side of the Island. The private, old growth timber hiking trail leads to the beach for beach combing, clam digging or, what else – picnics! Anderson House is adjacent to well-designed Anderson Island Park trails that allow hikers to cross the Island and explore beaches both on the west and east sides of the Island. The sleepy Island roads are ideal for bicycling or long walks. Golf privileges are available to our guests at the Island nine-hole Riviera Country Club. The Tacoma and Oro Bay Yacht clubs are located just across Oro Bay from Anderson House. Swimming is available at “the Ole Swimming Hole” park located on Lake Josephine, one of two fresh water lakes on the Island. There are tennis and volleyball courts, as well as playground facilities on the Island. Massage services are available on the Island. The Anderson Island Historical Society’s “Johnson Farm Museum” is a wonderful place to visit and get a feel for Island life and its early pioneers. It is host to the annual Salmon Bake, summer band concerts, autumn Apple Squeeze and various lectures throughout the year. Groceries and general goods are available at the Island General Store. Dining is offered at the Lakeshore Restaurant and the Island Coffee Shop. Catering services are available on the Island. Nearby off-island attractions and day trips include: golfing at the Chambers Bay Golf Course which will be home to the 2015 U.S. Open Golf Tournament, Point Defiance Zoo and Park, The Museum of Glass, Seattle’s Pike Street Market and Space Needle, shopping in Bellevue Square, Northwest Trek Wildlife Park, and Mt. Rainer National Park. Visit www.exploreandersonisland.com to learn more about Anderson Island and upcoming events. ...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
This property does not have any reviews yet.
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Oct 15 - May 11, 2014
2 night min stay
Dec 23 - Dec 27, 2013
5 night min stay
|2014 New Year
Dec 31 - Jan 2, 2014
3 night min stay
May 12 - Jun 29, 2014
3 night min stay
|Memorial Day Weekend
May 23 - May 25, 2014
3 night min stay
Jun 30 - Sep 8, 2014
5 night min stay
|My Standard Rate
2 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
$100 cancellation fee for all cancellations.
Full refund of deposit (less $100 cancellation fee) will be made if cancellation is received in writing 90 days prior to arrival date.
No refund will be made for cancellations less than 90 days prior to arrival date, unless the house can be rented for the same time period as reserved.
- Cleaning: $200 + tax
- Refundable Damage Deposit: $500
- Tax Rate 9.9%
This owner accepts HomeAway payments.
Always use this free service to protect your payments up to $10,000 against fraud while keeping your financial information private. With HomeAway Payments, your credit card information is not seen by the owner or manager. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Call the owner to confirm booking request.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
- Nearest Airport: SEA/TAC at 32 Miles
- Nearest Ferry: Anderson Island Ferry Dock at 3 Miles
- Nearest Train: Amtrack Tacoma Station at 11.5 Miles
- Nearest Motorway: Interstate 5 at 7 Miles
- Nearest Beach: Family Owned Picnit Point (Private) at 3 Miles
- Nearest Golf: Riviera County Club at 2.5 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: Riviera Lakeshore Restaurant at 2.5 Miles
Year Purchased: 1985
About the owner: Anderson House is owned by the Randy & Bettymae Anderson family, descendents of early Island pioneers Elsie & Erik Andersen. Randy grew up spending his summers on the Island working on the original family homestead farm. Bettymae became enchanted with the Island upon her first visit back in 1946 and as Randy puts it, 'I was not sure if it was me or the Island she loved more!'
Why the Owner Chose Anderson Island:
Bettymae,an accomplished artist and writer, restored the home and gardens completely in 1985. It was formerly operated as a Bed and Breakfast Inn and served as a base for many creative endeavors. The Anderson Family is now happy to offer the entire home for other families and friends to enjoy.
The Unique Benefits at this Farmhouse:
Anderson Island is truly a hidden gem in the Puget Sound. Anderson House is a perfect place to restore ones spirit and creativity, connect with friends and celebrate family.
- Primary: 415-971-3339
Links to more information:
Anderson House at Oro Bay is a historic farmhouse that has been fully renovated
The 20.86 Acres of property has extensive flower and vegetable gardens.
Oro Bay View From 2nd Floor Deck (on a clear day Mt. Ranier is visible).
The house is light and bright even on Northwest cloudy days.
The bright Kitchen is a great place to cook or just hang out.
The 1st Floor 'Toe to Toe' Den has a private Bathroom with whirlpool tub.
2nd Floor Bedroom #1 has a Queen Bed and private Bathroom with Shower.
2nd Floor Bedroom #2 has a Queen bed and private Bathroom with shower.
2nd Floor Bedroom #3 has a Queen Bed and private Bathroom with tub.
2nd Floor Bedroom #4 has a Queen Bed & Twin bed w/ private Bathroom w/ shower.
3rd Floor Bedroom #5 is adjacent to the playroom and has a 1/2 Bath.
The 3rd Floor playroom is a great place to hang out and view the Bay.
View of Oro Bay, tall fir trees, pasture and front porch from dining room.
Pasture view from Dining Room. Hiking trails to beaches adjoin the property.
The Living Room with Oro Bay Views has a fireplace and flat screen TV/DVD.
The harvest table in the Dining Room has room to seat 13.
The Den with 'Toe to Toe' twin beds on the 1st Floor has a TV and office area.
The 2nd Floor landing has a reading area and access to a sun deck.
2nd Floor Bedroom #1 private Bathroom with shower.
2nd Floor Bedroom#2 private bathroom with shower.
2nd Floor Bedroom #3 private Bathroom with tub.
2nd Floor Bedroom #4 private Bathroom with shower.
3rd Floor 1/2 Bathroom is adjoined by the Playroom and Bedroom alcove.
Anderson Island is just a 20 minute ferry ride from Steilacoom,yet a world away.
There have been visitors to this page since
the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2013.
Date last modified - Wednesday, August 14, 2013