Experience a Bygone Era
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:2 nights
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Waipio house description
The Alegre Plantation House was owned by the Alegre family for over 70 years and is now run by an Alegre grandson. With its high ceilings and spacious rooms, guests enjoy a taste of a bygone era in the gracious, simply decorated house with comfortable beds. The upstairs can accommodate 7 people: 2 bedrooms with king size beds, one bedroom with a twin size bed, and a pull out queen size bed in the living room. For large family gatherings, the downstairs has 3 bedrooms - one with a full, one with a king and one with 2 twin beds. The house can accommodate a total of 13 people on beds. The downstairs has a separate entrance and is operated as the Waipi'o Hostel.
The upstairs living areas consists of a large living and dining area, a screened in front porch, a spacious fully equipped kitchen with ocean view, a laundry room, and a bathroom. A downstairs lanai with outdoor sinks, old style tables and benches, a grill with burner and a stunning view of the raw Pacific Ocean is available to all guests.
Tangerines, oranges, lemons, sweet guava, macadamia nuts, and mountain apples grow on the property and can be enjoyed by guests. Down the pathway out back, guests can find bananas, coffee and avocados. In the village wild passion fruit grows for all to enjoy.
Kukuihaele Park is located a few houses away with large field, and a basketball court.
We also offer a 4WD drive vehicle to go down into Waipio Valley for $39.00 per day.
If this rental isn't available please ask about our others in the same area. We offer 2 other two bedroom properties at a similar price.
Recent guest reviews:
I very highly recommend staying at The Alegre Plantation House. My wife and I and our 4 small children all stayed in the house for 5 days and had an amazing time. The house is older, but it is clean and simply decorated with all of the necessities of home included. We truly felt at home after our stay, and were a bit sad to leave (the kids would have stayed forever for sure). The view is amazing, the fruit trees in the yard and the horse neighbors were a great experience for our kids as well. The hostel rooms are below, so it makes for some noisy floor experiences for them I'm sure, but we never heard a single complaint and meeting some of the visitors below only added to the whole experience in a positive way. On top of all the great things to say about this house, the neighbors are friendly and the small town down the road in Honokaa was great. Everyone we met was very friendly, helpful and a joy to talk with. Truly experienced Aloha. A great place to spend some time just relaxing and enjoying the area. Thank you Steve!
Our party of four enjoyed three nights at Alegre House. We found it spacious and clean. Wild turkeys wandered through the yard. A basket of citrus from the trees outside was waiting for us in the kitchen. We spent quiet evenings with the collection of books about Hawaiian history, natural history, political issues. It is an easy walk to the Waipio Valley lookout and road. The back porch looks out over a horse pasture and the Pacific. Maui sometimes visible on walks in the neighborhood. Easy and beautiful drive south to Akaka Falls, Tropical Botanical Gardens and Hilo. Good biking on the old Mamalahoa Highway to Waimea. Nice walking......We did not end up going into Honokaa for movies or dinner out, it was so pleasant to stay 'at home'. This is an older home with atmosphere. It suited us. Thank you Steve and family.
My mom and I enjoyed staying at the Alegre Plantation House and visiting the Kukuihaele area. Steve is a caring and considerate host who is sharing his family and local cultural history by renting to travelers. The place is rich with history, we enjoyed the history and nature books, and the views to the blue water are stunning. We appreciated the opportunity to stay at the Alegre Plantation House and hope to return to that part of the island again someday.
- 1200 sq. ft.
- 2 story
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Private Chef
- Car Available
- Pets Considered
- Limited Accessibility
- Children Welcome
Bedrooms: 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 7, Beds for 7
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom
Kitchen & Dining
- Coffee Maker:
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Dining Area Seats:
- Ice Maker
- Child's Highchair
- Washing Machine:
- Iron & Board
- Hair Dryer
- Clothes Dryer
- Linens Provided
- Towels Provided
Deck / Patio:
Lanai has two tables with benches and 2 sinks with cold water. A old style macadamia nut cracker and old style juicer are on the lanai for us by guests. The view of the Pacific Ocean is amazing....moreless
- Lawn / Garden:
- Away From It All
Location & View
- Jet Skiing
- Hunting Small Game
- Hunting Big Game
- Scuba Diving Or Snorkeling
- Basketball Court
- Mountain Biking
- Deepsea Fishing
- Eco Tourism
- Scenic Drives
- Recreation Center
- Medical Services
- Massage Therapist
- Whale Watching
- Sight Seeing
- Horseback Riding
- The Alegre Plantation House with its attached Waipio Hostel is located in the sleepy, former plantation town of Kukuihaele, just a stone's throw from the 2nd most visited attraction on the island - the majestic Waipio Valley, valley of the kings. It's a place where time has seemingly stood still and where guests get a taste of a bygone era. Waipio Valley is a 'must experience', preferably on foot, but horseback and van tours are available as well. Kukuihaele is 9 miles from the historic town of Honokaa where guests can enjoy local and Italian cuisine, shop for groceries, gifts, fruits and vegetables. There is a post office, various banks and ATM machines, an incredibly beautifully remodeled historic theater where you can watch a movie or attend a live concert. One of the new additions to town is the Heritage Center at UH Hilo's campus at the North Hawaii Education and Research Center. Get a feel for the past of this beautiful area at the Heritage Center. Kukuihaele is at the end of the road, the starting point of a hike into Waipio or even into Waimanu Valley, a days hike away with registered camping grounds. Although quite isolated for those seeking quiet and peace, it's only 1 hour from Hilo and 1 hour 20 minutes from Kailua-Kona. Both have international airports and the drive in both directions covers stunning and diverse landscapes. Mauna Kea, with it's snow capped top in winter can be seen from Honokaa town. The ranching town of Waimea is just a 30 minute drive from the Alegre Plantation House where guests can visit the historic Parker Ranch, attend cultural events at the Kahilu Theater, or eat the restaurants of all price categories. From there, it's just a 15 minute jaunt to the warmth of the west side beaches. Heading towards Hilo, it's worth stopping at the locally owned 50's Diner in Laupahoehoe. This little town is also home to the Laupahoehoe Train Museum where guests can learn about our history of railroad. Down the winding road to Laupahoehoe Point, visitors can also see the memorial to those who lost their lives to the tsunami of 1946. While in Kukuihaele, guests can take an ATV ride around the rim of Waipio Valley and swim in waterfalls most never get to see. It's the same for the horseback ride around the rim with stunning views from the top and back of the valley. In the valley, guests can take a horseback tour of the valley or a van tour. There is also a horse-drawn buggy ride. The most impressive visit is by foot. It's important, though to be respectful of the land and stay on public roads and trails as much of the valley is privately owned and considered sacred by the people of these lands. My absolute favorite 'must do' while in Kukuihaele is to hike down to Waipio's beach and lay on the black sand and soak up the peace and serenity while listening to the wind and the roaring waves. It's absolutely energizing. Fruit abounds in Kukuihaele and much of it is wild - passion fruit, guavas, avocados galore. Many residents are happy to share their tangerine, oranges and macadamia nuts when in season. ...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
Perfect place from which to explore the Waipio Valley
Perfect place from which to explore the Waipio Valley
We were looking for a base from which we could explore Waipio Valley with our family (myself, my husband and our 3 teen daughters). My husband and I had vacationed in this area pre-kids and did the hike to the valley and loved it. The owner contacted us about a month before our vacation informing us that this house would not be available during August, but offering to move us to another one of his properties, Hale O' Florian - https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1115280 So I can only review that house, which was perfect for our needs. Enough room for everyone, everything worked and a great view. If you want a place from which to explore Waipio Valley, do contact this owner and trust that he will take care of you.
- Guest Anonymous
- Date of stay 08/18/13
- Review Submitted 09/03/13
Recommended for: Adventure seekers, sightseeing, families with teenagers.
Definately a do again!!
Definately a do again!!
This house was sureal! I'm a very busy business person and it was a great get away!! I was able to disconnect from phone for my time at house it was very conveinent for my friends and I to commute to and from the honokaa rodeo. The owner was very pleasant and helpful with many aspects of our stay. I'm definately going to book this place again next year.
- Guest Bridget (Waipahu, HI)
- Date of stay 05/24/13
- Review Submitted 06/06/13
Recommended for: Sightseeing, age 55+, girls getaway, families with teenagers, romantic getaway.
Owner response: Aloha - it was a privilege for us to have you and hope you will consider staying with us for next year's rodeo. You were great guests! Steve
This was a great house, a little creeky for a light sleeper, but had everything we needed, friendly and helpful owner, it was between kona and hilo, this house is great, will stay the next time i go.
- Guest Anna (Cali)
- Date of stay 05/03/13
- Review Submitted 05/15/13
Owner response: Thank you Anna!
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
2 night min stay
Discounts: 29 nights or more: $1,999 Nightly
Additional information about rental rates
50% down payment required upon booking with balance due 30 days prior to arrival.
Additional Fees and Taxes:
For each additional person above 2, $10 per night plus tax. Hawaii accommodation tax of 13.42% is charged.
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Sorry this information is not available. Please contact the owner for more information.
- Nearest Airport: Hilo International Airport at 60 Miles
- Nearest Motorway: Highway 19 at 10 Miles
- Nearest Beach: Waipio Valley at 3 Miles
- Nearest Barpub: Honokaa Sports Bar at 9 Miles
- Nearest Golf: Honokaa at 9 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: Cafe il Mondo at 9 Miles
Year Purchased: 2010
About the owner: I am the grandson of Florencio and Mikiyo Alegre who lived in the Alegre Plantation House for over 70 years. I was actually born in Grand Junction, Colorado where my Dad is from, but moved to Hawaii with my family when I was three years old. I grew up on the island of Oahu in Waianae, then from 7th grade in North Kohala (Hawi), where my grandparents first me and my Mom wa born. After graduating from high school, I went to Germany as an exchange student, a fact that would set the course of my young adult life. I ended up majoring in German Language and Literature from the University of Hawaii at Manoa and lived in Germany for 17 years together with my wife, Anuhea. All 5 of our biological kids were born there and grew up speaking German. After Anuhea passed away in 2006, my youngest son and I moved to Kukuihaele to take care of Grandma and Grandpa and then ended up buying the family house, now known as the Alegre Plantation House and Waipio Hostel. In addition to operating this and a few other vacation rentals together with my partner, I have a wellness business and I work as operations manager at the North Hawaii Education and Research Center in Honokaa, home of the Heritage Center. Four of my children are grown. My partner and I are raising our teenage son and have adopted our sweet little girl.
Why the Owner Chose Waipio:
I have always loved Grandma and Grandpa's house and while living there taking care of them, the vision to open up their home to guests from all over the world kept growing. It has now become reality. I love for people to get a feel of the way life used to be in Hawaii with all of its charm, simplicity and surrounded by beauty.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
The unique benefit of this home is that it is spacious and priced right so families can afford and enjoy a vacation in paradise. It's unique location in the quiet and quaint village of Kukuihaele and its proximity to the majestic Waipio Valey make it special.
- Primary: 8089891533
- Secondary: +
- Fax: +1 (719)631-7002
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
The Alegre Plantation House with the Pacific Ocean as its backyard!
A beautiful view of Waipio Valley
Living room of the Alegre Plantation House
Dining area of the Alegre Plantation House
Second bedroom with cozy king size bed
View from the screened front porch
We offer a 4WD Vehicle to travel down into Waipio Valley for $39.00 per day
The Alegre Plantation House named in honor of Florencio Sevilla Alegre.
Waipio Beach in the winter - an amazing place.
Comfortable king size bed in the Alegre Plantation House
Spacious kitchen in the Alegre Plantation House
Bathroom of the Alegre Plantation House
Sitting area on the front porch
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2013.
Date last modified - Thursday, May 23, 2013
3 Bedroom / 1 Bathroom
Get an instant quote
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.