Historic Farm House with Wrap Around Porch and Mountain Views
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:7-29 nights
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:Yes
Great Barrington farmhouse description
A former eighteenth-century post office and hunting lodge, this home has welcomed such famous guests as Babe Ruth and Jackie and JFK. It is now a luxurious vacation home filled with light from all sides offering all the amenities of modern life and close proximity to all that the Southern Berkshires have to offer. Large skylights throughout and picture windows with views of the garden, patios and fields. There are wraparound porches on the West, South and East sides of the house as well as two separate outdoor dining areas, adjacent to the dining room living room. Each lends itself to lovely breakfasts or evening meals al fresco. A third outdoor living room includes a patio and a grand fireplace built into the stone wall. Remarkably, NO BUGS! Wi-Fi. Cable television. 3 DVD players. 2 stereos. Washer and dryer. Eat-in kitchen seats eight. Dining room seats eight.
Five bedrooms including a third-floor master with a Tempur-pedic® king size bed, a niche for meditation and flat screen cable-television, as well as an en suite boasting a claw-foot tub for a relaxing soak. Four bedrooms on the second floor; two Tempur-pedic® queens and two singles, one includes a DVD player. Second floor bathroom includes vintage claw foot tub and ceramic tiled shower.
The living room seats eight and includes a wood stove and 42 inch flat-screen TV. For the music lover there are two stereos and an old Steinway in the adjoining 'music room'. There is also a well-stocked library. All in all this is a beautiful and deeply restorative place, where you can replenish your body and soul. Come spend an idyllic month in the beautiful Berkshires.
A short drive takes you to Great Barrington where shopping and dining options abound.
- 4500 sq. ft.
- 3 story
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Pets Considered:
- Minimum Age Limit For Renters:
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Children Welcome
- Wheelchair Accessible
Bedrooms: 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8, Beds for 5-8
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms, 1 Half Bathroom
Kitchen & Dining
- Dishes & Utensils
- Coffee Maker
- Pantry Items
- Air Conditioning
- Linens Provided
- Towels Provided
- Hair Dryer
- Wood Stove
- Clothes Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Satellite / Cable
- DVD Player
- Music Library
- Deck / Patio
- Lawn / Garden
- Outdoor Grill
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
Location & View
- Mountain View
- Hot Air Ballooning
- Equestrian Events
- Basketball Court
- Whitewater Rafting
- Cross Country Skiing
- Rock Climbing
- Water Tubing
- Water Skiing
- Hunting Big Game
- Hunting Small Game
- Fly Fishing
- Freshwater Fishing
- Ice Skating
- Jet Skiing
- Roller Blading
- Mountain Biking
- Mountain Climbing
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Live Theater
- Horseback Riding
- Eco Tourism
- Botanical Garden
- Recreation Center
- Outlet Shopping
- Medical Services
- Massage Therapist
- Fitness Center
- Scenic Drives
- Miniature Golf
- Paddle Boating
- Bird Watching
- Wildlife Viewing
- Sight Seeing
- This Idyllic 5 bedroom, 3 bathroom Farm house is surrounded on all sides by fields and woods, a sleep inducing brook, 2 ponds, a barn and 14,000 acres of protected wilderness. John F. Kennedy stayed here during his presidential campaign in the 1960s when it was The Shamrock Inn. This beautiful historic house, built in 1820, is situated on 30 acres in the western mountains of Massachusetts, 10 - 20 minutes from Berkshire’s best restaurants and theaters and close to world famous Tanglewood, the summer home of the Boston Symphony Orchestra. There is a patio and impressive outdoor stone hearth for grilling local produce from the many organic farmer's markets in the area. The Appalachian trail and multiple natural wonders are just a few miles away by foot, bike or car - Catamonut and Butternut Ski areas, Lake Riga, Race Brook, Bash Bish Falls, and Mount Alander to name a few. Mount Everett State Park and a pick your own blueberry farm are within walking distance. Cable TV, Wi-Fi and fresh laid organic eggs are all available. The Appalachian Trail runs along the ridge providing many hiking trails and views of animals, birds and rare flowers. We even have the only herd of Moose in SW Massachusetts and bordering Connecticut....moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
Great Berkshire Getaway
Great Berkshire Getaway
If you are looking to get away from it all, this is the place. The wraparound porch and the patios are fabulous. This is a beautiful old home full of charm and offers plenty of space for guests who like to spread out. The house was clean and comfortable, especially the Temper-pedic mattresses! The large shower in the 2nd-floor bathroom made me sad to come home to my little shower/tub combo…. The owner was readily available to answer the few questions we had during our stay. I would recommend this home for someone looking to be in the Southern Berkshires in a place that offers a lot of privacy with all the comforts of home. Definitely try the pizza at Baba Louie’s on Main Street in Great Barrington and for a more refined dinner out, we liked the Old Mill in South Egremont. Our stay included a visit to Naumkeag in Stockbridge. The house and gardens are spectacular.
- Guest Carrie W.
- Date of stay 09/07/13
- Review Submitted 10/17/13
Recommended for: Adventure seekers, sightseeing, families with teenagers, families with young children, pet owners.
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Nov 23 - Nov 30
7 night min stay
Dec 22 - Dec 29
7 night min stay
Jun 1 - Sep 1
29 night min stay
|My Standard Rate
7 night min stay
- Taxes Not included
This owner accepts HomeAway payments.
Always use this free service to protect your payments up to $10,000 against fraud while keeping your financial information private. With HomeAway Payments, your credit card information is not seen by the owner or manager. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Call the owner to confirm booking request.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Sorry this information is not available. Please contact the owner for more information.
- Nearest Airport: Albany International Airport at 50 Miles
- Nearest Ferry: New London CT at 100 Miles
- Nearest Train: Metro North Commuter Train to NYC at 40 Miles
- Nearest Motorway: I 95 at 20 Miles
- Nearest Beach: Lake Riga at 10 Miles
- Nearest Barpub: Old Mill Tavern at 6 Miles
- Nearest Ski: Catamount Ski Resort at 5 Miles
- Nearest Golf: Wyantanuck Golf Course at 9 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: John Andrews at 4 Miles
Year Purchased: 2003
About the owner: A former actor, now a psychotherapist on staff at Bard College @ Simon's Rock, I had spent my childhood vacationing in the foothills of the Berkshires. I came back to this area to do an internship for graduate school and fell in love again with the mountains. I settled here with my wife and two daughters.
Why the Owner Chose Great Barrington:
I have admired this house since my childhood when our family would drive up to Mount Washington to pick blueberries in the late Summer or watch migratory hawks in the Fall, as they made their way south. We enjoy hiking at nearby Bash-Bish Falls and swimming in pristine Lake Riga which only allows local residents, canoes and sailboats. I have lived at 46 East Street for the past 10 years and have found it to be an unsurpassed place to live.
The Unique Benefits at this Farmhouse:
The porches with their respective views of fields and mountains surrounding the house and the patio out back make the house feel open and light. The proximity to nature is evident everywhere. A wonderful mountain get-a-way. Fresh eggs for breakfast from the chickens here at the farm is are an added bonus.
- Primary: +1 413 528-9850 evenings,mornings and weekends
- Secondary: +1 413 429-1678 Week days
- Fax: +1 413 528-2084
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Town of Mt. Washington seen from the valley
Guilder Pond/Mt. Washington State Park
House and Barn
Dining room with expandable table
There have been visitors to this page since
the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2013.
Date last modified - Monday, November 11, 2013